Wot Games Did RPS Play Over Its Holidays?

It’s a pleasant fantasy to think that holidays mean long weeks of playing games, but in reality there’s trains and planes to be boarded, family to be visited, lives to be unavoidably lived. Gaming during holidays is therefore similar to gaming at any other time, about stealing moments to sneak away to a quiet corner and catch up on backlogs or curl up with comforts. Some of you told us what you played over the break yesterday, but here’s what RPS played between the parsnips and presents.

John

The confusion of an abundance of time off, during the early weeks of trying to work out how to live our lives with a baby interrupting everything, made for a lot less holiday gaming than I usually try to cram in. What is traditionally my catch-up period for all the big names I’ve missed over the year ended up being my desperate grasps at the comfortingly familiar.

So attempts to get past my initial ocean-sized disappointment at Dragon Age 3 got nowhere. Despite a valiant effort, gruesome load times (yes, yes, it’s vast install size meant I didn’t put it on my SSD, a mistake), a woefully boring opening, and worst of all, abysmal controls (even on gamepad), meant I hadn’t the energy to fight through it all to get to the good I’m promised lies within.

I had the best intentions to play Wolfenstein and Alien, but never even managed to install either. I thought I’d finally try and understand why everyone puts up with the Telltale games, but struggled to care through the first Wolfamongus episode.

In the end, it was Far Cry 4 that absorbed my scraps of time. Big, fun, cuddly Far Cry 4. Not the story missions, obviously – they’re stupid, crass noise to be ploughed through to unlock more fun. But just chasing down question marks. A third of the map is now question mark free, with barely a mask or propaganda poster to be found. It’s ambling, meandering fun, with improvised madness occurring along the way. Obviously I’ve liberated any camps I’ve come across, and finally unlocking the crossbow has made stealth a much faster affair. But mostly it’s been about getting those question marks and turning them into place markers. It’s my life mission to get the rest of them, although unless I can figure out a way to make it into research for an article for the site (suggestions, please!), it’s going to be nigh impossible to find the time. Perhaps next Christmas?

Alec

Alec: Thanks to not being ill or having to look after an also-ill toddler for the majority of the break, I was able to play a huge number of games. Age of Zinc IV, The Decorative Baby Cactus Chronicles, Cool Abed and Deatharea IV: Origins were particular highlights. Ah, it was just like old times. Freedom, play, being on the cutting edge: that’s the life.

*dream sequence ends*
*Alec hacks up another sack of phlegm, then attempts in vain to detach a screaming toddler from his right leg. He sighs, which makes him hack up more phlegm still, then blows a thick layer of dust from his keyboard. More hacking.*

I played about three hours of Far Cry 4 and 45 minutes of Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes. The former seemed like a slightly less obnoxious Far Cry 3 with better scenery and weirdly suicidal eagles, the latter seems like a really slick and lavish stealth game swaddled by vaguely irritating wibble which makes no sense to anyone who gave up on the series part way through MGS because he couldn’t bear any more cutscenes. I’ll probably play some more of it. That’s it. That’s all I played. Now leave me to die in peace, won’t you?

Pip

My Christmases are of the type where I spend the time I have off living out of a suitcase as I go to see family and other assorted loved ones. My PC doesn’t fit in said suitcase so I’ve been using the opportunity of enforced absence to play games on iOS and PS4.

80 Days may well have been my favourite as I curled up in a nest I’d made in my parents’ attic and circumnavigated the globe several times, savouring the wonderful writing as well as accidentally improving my geography. I ended up trying to solve a murder mystery aboard an airship, nearly drowning off the coast of Singapore and… well, what happens at the North Pole stays at the North Pole because I have no intention of giving you spoilers.

As for the rest, The Banner Saga is great on iPad (although my iPad is creaky and old meaning loading screens last whole minutes) so I’ve been working my way through that on long train journeys. It’s a game with a great sense of place as well as strong storytelling, and I’m glad I’m playing through it in the chill of winter rather than sweltering in a heatwave. The only problem I’m having is I’d like to experiment a bit more with tactics and fighting strategies but the loading times make me reluctant to head to the training grounds.

Oh, and I’ve been playing Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare multiplayer and getting cross with a) being shot in the back so many times and b) being shot in the front so many times with that effing MORS nonsense. But now I’m stuck. Do I spend hundreds of hours to get good enough that I can regularly be the queen of the chain of backstabbers/long range jerks or do I step away with my dignity intact right now?

Graham

I decided to pick just one game to binge on over the holidays and Alec’s writing pre-Christmas convinced me that it should be Elite: Dangerous. It’s two weeks later and I played it for thirty hours and now there’s a new Saitek X52 Pro on my desk.

The twist: I’m not sure I like it very much. It’s not that it’s a job, because that’s what I wanted it to be. It’s not that it’s predominantly about travel, because I love Euro Truck Simulator 2 and City Car Driving. It’s that it’s an empty, regressive grind. Progress through its systems seems dependent upon long hours spent running on a treadmill, and it took me hours of aimless flying just to find that treadmill since most space stations I landed at either had no missions I could take or no missions at all. When I saved enough money to buy a better ship, I was faced with the prospect of an exponentially higher price of the next ship – and suddenly it seemed a fools’ errand to get that far.

Worse, most of the systems you encounter along your run aren’t very fun. Mining is boring. Combat at these low levels is a threatless chore. Finding good trade routes is an interesting challenge, but hampered by poor explanations and a UI that pushes you to second-screen, immersion-breaking research at every turn, and cargo spaces for starter or low-budget ships are so small that it takes forever to make decent money. PvP barely works and meeting up with friends is next to impossible.

The only thing I really do like, then, is the docking. It is similarly poorly explained by the tutorial, but it’s the one satisfying, physical interaction I’ve had with the game. Other than that, Elite Dangerous seems like a lush interface placed upon minigames and 2002’s worst MMO quests – which will keep me playing it, but not keep me happy.

Adam

I finished The Talos Principle and absolutely adored it. I binged on it, staying up until 4am on Christmas Eve’s Eve to see it through. It’s in my top ten of the year, without a doubt. The only other new thing I played – new to me at least – was Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall, which is as good as several people had led me to expect. Quite why I didn’t make time for it earlier in the year, I don’t know. Most likely because I’m a fool.

Other than that, I found time for a few old and not-so-old favourites. I spent far too much time tinkering with Dwarf Fortress without actually getting anything done, which is pretty much par for that particular course. I went back to Rome War: Two Total to check out the Emperor Edition and lost more than a day trying to work out if I was enjoying myself or not. Eventually I accepted that I was but I still think the game lacks focus. Or I do. Maybe we both do.

Then there’s Football Manager, which I knew I’d end up visiting time and time again, even though it’s suffering from a bit of feature-knack this year. My excuse is that the busy festive football schedule hypnotised me, leaving me dazed and in need of some sphere-based tactical jiggery-pokery. I’m still in my first season of a new career, managing Bury. I don’t think I’m going to play so much as experiment though, using a realtime editor to do some RPG style levelling up whenever a player gets a man of the match award or does a goal.

I even managed to get in some gaming on New Year’s Day. I’d been supping cans of Kenneth Kronenbourg’s idiot-fizz as midnight approached and decided it would be sensible to add a layer of vodka, like a shimmering skin of oil atop the ruin of my innards. The next morning I woke to find my tablet in the bed next to me – Bret Hart glistened on the screen, threads of pink spandex covering scant inches of his torso. I’d been watching Wrestlemania IV at some point in the night. I didn’t remember when and I’ll never understand why, but the evidence was right there, like unexpected lipstick traces on the pillow.

I slithered downstairs into a crowded living room, sheepishly acknowledging gathered relatives. They all looked like they’d spent the night before at a health and beauty spa. I felt like a stain. My better half was there, talking to her dad who we’d arranged to meet up with later in the day.

“We might be a bit late,” she was explaining. “Adam had a strange reaction to the beer last night.”

I appreciated the attempt to protect my dignity even if nobody else did. The assembled family and friends chortled, pointed and mocked. I felt like the teenager who has never had a hangover, and repeatedly claims that every night of excess just happens to coincide with the next morning’s bout of hayfever or migraine.

Later, after dinner, I took out my iPad to check train times and saw that I’d downloaded XCOM at some point during the night. I had a saved game and all of my soldiers were named after wrestlers from the late eighties.

Send help.

Alice

I enjoyed a nice stretch of solitude. I read, I wandered, and I did satisfyingly difficult things.

I finally made a start on The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, and instantly fell deep into it. Over 60-odd hours, I’ve smashed Mom, crushed her Heart, rushed the bosses, aborted It, knocked off Satan, given Isaac himself a good kicking, and popped a blue baby. I still have a long, long way to go and a whole lot more to unlock (88 secrets down, 90 to go). Not realising I’d set the difficulty to hard for 20-odd hours didn’t help at the time, but has steeled my nerves. It’s a pretty great game, you guys.

My cold water swimming continued, including a brisk three laps on New Years Day. By the time I left in the early afternoon, 129 people had taken a plunge in Kenwood Ladies’ Pond. It was a lovely big celebration. This has been the best and most satisfying challenge of all 2014. I’ve almost regained all sensation in my right hand after that swim on New Year’s Eve with the ice too.

I played the fun game of purging possessions ahead of moving, aiming to get Everything I Own In The World down to about two suitcases. The difficulty is not Inventory Tetris, more Worrying That I’m A Monster For Binning Gifts Now-Dead Relatives Gave Me. My collected mementos could fit in a coat pocket, and are mostly pebbles from beaches. Perhaps I’m a selkie.

This was Sunday.

1. LexW1 says:

I’ve got to agree with Graham re: Elite. I don’t know if starting with a much better ship or having a VR headset or a thousand-quid computer somehow causes an alchemy that makes it into a good game, but despite loving the original games, I’ve found it a very slow and tedious activity indeed.

• HothMonster says:

I really want to love it. It’s great being in space again and pew pewing and moving through hyperspace and all that. But there is nothing really engaging about it. NPC combat is meh, missions are boring and repetitive. Trading is best done while doing something, e.g. watching tv, reading a book, and it doesn’t seem that player actions actually affect the economy or anything interesting. There is nothing fun to do with my friends, I never have a reason to shoot PCs. The ships all feel exactly the same.

I still hop on for an hour here and there to shoot some pirates out of the sky because I’ve been waiting ages to do that. But I really wish there was something that made me enjoy playing more, a pointless grind to a better ship to do the exact same things isn’t enough.

• Chris D says:

I’ve been playing what’s been a frankly unhealthy amount of Elite in the least few days…and I’m not sure I like it either.

It’s certainly been engrossing and at times exciting but there’s also a lot of grind and I don’t know if I’m enjoying all that much.

It’s a game that asks you to master a number of skills to be effective which is something I can appreciate, although alot of those skills are variations on the theme of gradually getting closer to things.

There’s also a fair degree of nostalgia associated for me, as Elite was one of the first games I played when I got my Acorn Electron for Christmas all those years ago. But Elite stood out then because it’s contemporaries were Space Invaders and Frogger. Elite: Dangerous is in many ways the same game and I’m not sure it distinguishes itself as well in today’s context.

I think it’s a game I admire more than necessarily enjoy. I think the way it models space flight is ingenious as a way of modelling a scale representation of the galaxy and still having WW2 dogfights, and I’m fascinated by the way the trade routes shift in response to players’ actions.

Things came to a head last night. I’d worked my way up by smuggling with the sidewinder, mining with the adder and bounty hunting with the viper and a little of each with the cobra. Finally I could afford the million credits for the Transporter 6 and could begin trading in earnest. I enjoyed working out the trade routes, stretching out my meagre operating capital, trying to stay safe as I was dead in a fight. I upgraded my defences and earned enough to fill my hold with whatever I wanted and I found the perfect route – technology in one direction, textiles in the other, about 160,000 profit for a round trip. It was ridiculously profitable compared to anything else I’d done in the game so far. The smart move would have been to keep doing it over and over, earn enough to get the Asp, wouldn’t take all that long. But it would have been really dull.

I sold the transporter, picked up the cobra again and spent my profits on a couple of really big guns. It’s a pirate’s life for me. But I thing the spell has been broken now. If I’m consciously getting off the cycle of constant upgrading then I don’t know how much the game has left to offer.

tldr; I have mixed feelings. If you’re on fence maybe just get Space Rangers 2 instead. Space Rangers 2 is great.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Fair point, at least you’re someone that can actually reach the first millions with bounty hunting instead of just stamping a sticker of “Space truck simulator 2015” on it and call it a day.

As of now i’m Competent/Merchant/Surveyor so my game is pretty varied and still fun, and it is mostly because i set some goals for myself other than the obvious plan to get always a better ship. I could buy a Clipper now but i’m still enjoying my ultra-upgraded ASP and my current plan is to explore the various weird things in the map, like the Witchead Nebula and all that stuff.

I still have a Viper parked in a system that i used to call home in my first days, and one day i’ll return to give it a spin and upgrade it properly, since combat is not as fun for me with the bigger ships and i love the “race car” vibe the Viper has.

• udat says:

What guns did you buy for your Cobra Chris? I played an unhealthy amount of Elite over Xmas as well, and I think I am in a similar place to some of you guys. I can make about 300k an hour trading easy enough, but it’s dull. I can fight pirates and things for more fun, but feel like I’m not earning anything. So i have a feeling of dissatisfaction both ways round.

I have about 7.5 million credits, most of which are invested in my Cobra. The only thing I don’t know what to do with, is the guns. Still rocking 4 multi cannons. 2 are class 2, and 2 are class 1.

• Chris D says:

I’m using twin D2 beam lasers and gimballed E1 cannons. I may have exaggerated a little for dramatic effect, there’s plenty bigger in the game. On the other hand each laser costs more than the Cobra itself did.

I think I’m still wary of using too many weapons that you need to buy ammo for, even though I can probably afford it by now. Early on in the game I bought a rail gun and then realised that anytime I fired with it I was eating up half my profits.

The lasers work quite well for piracy, as you need to weaken the shield first before you can steal their cargo. Though I still find too often that I’ve finally got into position for the perfect shot and nothing happens because I’ve forgotten to power up my weapons.

I completely relate to the disatisfaction both ways thing. It feels like you can go for the aspirational ship buying game or you can have fun moment to moment but you have to sacrifice one or the other, you can’t do both..

• Drunk Si says:

I played it pretty solidly for a couple of days and at first I was into it because I was enjoying the challenge of trying to fly with flight assist off and just the novelty of it being a space game.

Pretty soon it hits you that there isn’t anything to do and what you can do is so barebones that it isn’t very compelling. I enjoy the combat but bounty hunting isn’t really bounty hunting, it’s mob farming at Nav Beacons or Resource Extraction Sites and you can only shoot the same handful of dumb ships so many times before it gets boring. I mean the actual mechanics are spawn into an instance, get an npc into the centre of the screen and with a basic scan or KWS see if they’re wanted, if they are shoot them. Repeat ad infinitum or until the Feds go mental for no reason, in which case leave and come back and do the same thing again.

The exploration mechanics, a minigame in which you try to keep a star in the middle of the screen for a few seconds. Fire off a discovery scanner and see if you can do the same with twenty odd planets! Yay!

And you could say with exploration that the data you recover is a bonus and the journey is its own reward but after you’ve done a couple of jumps and spent some time in (god awful) super cruise you’ve seen it all anyway. On the Elite forums there are threads where people have done 1000 light year journeys but what have any of them actually seen for all the time spent pressing ‘H’? Nothing you can’t see anyway without going to all that trouble.

Too much RNG and not enough hand crafted content.

I can’t comment on the trading side of it because that was never really going to be my cup of tea, maybe it’s good if you’re into that sort of thing but I tried it and it bored me to tears. I also found it peculiar that using the in game tools if I took a commodity to a system that apparently this good was exported to I would sell it at a loss, which seems odd.

I think the ability to jump into solo or open is a misstep as well. If you’re going to draw a line in the sand and not bother with offline then make everyone inhabit the same space, as much as they can do in such a vast space with (I think) a 32 player cap within systems.

I kind of got to the point where I had a viper and I had settled down in a system where a RES wasn’t too far from the station and all I did was fly out to it, kill a few things and fly back. And it’s boring. I’d be up for trying to hunt down some of the players with big bounties but given how much trouble people have trying to play with their friends when they’re all making an effort to occupy the same space I can’t be arsed to jump around the galaxy to see if by luck I stumble into a player pirate.

With all that said, I see a lot of potential in it and | do want it to do well but it just seems so empty at the moment.

Oh and I get that the flight model isn’t realistic for gameplay reasons but it really irked me the first time I boosted and I saw my speed decreasing afterwards without any opposing force being applied.

• J-Force says:

Turn off flight assist. It gets newtonian and impact warningy. No offputting flight models there.

• Drunk Si says:

That’s not entirely correct, even with flight assist off you can boost to top speed and it will decelerate to the max non-boost speed or if you leave your thrusters running you will hit a top speed and stop accelerating. There’s nothing newtonian about it, it just doesn’t auto correct your pitch/roll/yaw and you have to manually apply reverse thrust to slow down/stop. And even when you’re in FA off mode there’s a throttle sweet spot that dictates your optimum turning speed.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Even before the FA OFF nerf you still were limited to your max boost speed, which still is an arbitrary limit that wouldn’t exist without your ship’s systems interfering, but at least you could keep it on indefinitely. I guess they did this in order to have you buy the power distributor upgrades that allow you to boost almost without cooldown, provided you have 4 pips. Gameplay balance decisions as usual, agreeable or not.

But since i like being nitpicky, let’s also say that both this and SC more or less use a properly newtonian model regardless, it’s actually your own ship that’s preventing you to exploit it’s more obvious advantages.

• Vapor_Strike says:

I think the only way I could enjoy the game at all was with FA off. It actually makes flying easier for me, as I’ve never liked to let any part of the flight to be in the game’s hands. I’m much more suited to being in total control at all times, so I know exactly what I did and exactly what I need to do to fix whatever it is that I did. Kind of adds a little micromanagement to it. Not enough to be a game on it’s own, obviously ,but enough to make fighting pirates a bit more fun.

• Yargh says:

I don’t know if I have enjoyed my time in Elite so far…
      But it is a great game to play while enjoying this year’s monster-flu, I certainly wasn’t up to handling anything more demanding.

And yes, docking is by far the best bit in the game.

• J-Force says:

I have been greatly enjoying my time with Elite. I have myself a fully equipped viper with lasers and multicannons (I had a plasma acc. but removed it – that thing is a pain in the arse to hit a subsystem with). I also have a Lakon-6, or as Alec quite correctly put it – a cosmic lorry. I swap between the two depending on whatever I feel like. The viper is there for a ‘Boba Fett’ feel, darting into the rings of the He Bo system and seeing what the pirates have (they seem to have run out of Cobra’s, nothing but Sidewinders for three days straight) ranging from sidewinders to an anaconda. One that the Feds persued into Alliance space just to destroy. Some say the game has little depth, my experiences just in the He Bo system disagree.

I suggest if you are not enjoying Elite all that much, grab a ship, put it in a system (or two if you are trading/smuggling/slave trading) and just see what the algorithms throw up. It suprises you. Though it tends to be more fun if you can shoot at it.

I tried smuggling once. Never again. Hitting that docking letterbox at 400m/s whilst only firing thrusters in short bursts to avoid detection is hard. It gets harder when there is a drunk Asp on the other side.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Some people really need some extra combat, really.

I mean, at some point you’ll probably want to optimize a rare goods trading route, sure, but i personally reached that point after i tried with a good degree of fun all the other things that i could do, and my first 3-4 millions were all from bounties/smuggling, which spices up the situation a lot.

Trading is a legit profession but i still feel some people simply use it to chicken out from everything else, a healthy balance must be reached in my opinion. I mean, the biggest thrill you can get out of that is swapping out your shields for extra cargo.

Oh and a small tip, don’t get too swayed by all the talk about detection, smuggling and the various Isinona’s videos, which are mostly supposed to hype and overestimate the game’s systems other than legitimately showcasing his/her skill.

Speeding through the entrance even at “just” 300 m/s is enough, as long as you don’t do the preliminary maneouvers close to the station. Stay far away, align with the entrance from afar and go straight, you can even start “braking” earlier if no scan started before the last kilometer or so. No silent running and other “pro” stuff needed.

• Walsh says:

No one mention anything like this on the official forums or you will be flamed by lunatics who claim you have no imagination and you need to set goals for yourself.

• Drunk Si says:

I love the forums, I’ve had deeper combat on there than I have in the game.

2. FlopsyTheBloodGod says:

Splendid to see that the refined mixture of grump, snark, wit and self-mockery that is RPS has not changed. You are all as fab as disco.

Apologies for gushy post as I am off my head on cold medicine. Or it might be meths, dunno as I lost the bottle.

3. Volcanu says:

Man alive! You ventured into that inky black pool willingly? Perhaps those educational safety videos about not swimming in ponds/lakes/quarries were too effective but the only thing that might evoke similar fear in me is a suggestion to play in a Grain Silo (which I’m reliably informed are the leading cause of child death in history).

• DXN says:

I feel you. Natural bodies of water are to be loathed and feared for their intrinsic malevolence and the horrific fact of their inhabitants.

4. fish99 says:

I’m glad Far Cry 4 has the campaign missions, even if they vary hugely in quality, simply because they add a lot of variety to the game. Otherwise it’d be all towers, outposts, and the various quest types you find at outposts, and while that stuff is good, it’s also repetitive.

I’ve just unlocked the 2nd half of the map myself. Enjoying the game tremendously overall. I’ll be going back to play FC3 after since I missed that 2 years ago.

I also now understand why so many thousands die to eagle attacks every year.

distantlurker says:

Awwwww I’m sorry John couldn’t get into DA:I, I’m 80 hours down (’bout half way at a guess) and can’t stop playing!

Fun article all round mind, thank you!

6. drussard says:

Shame on those load times Pip, really a great game that gets deeper as you tinker with it. It has a feel of looming death and inevitability that I found myself scrambling in trying to find something to hold my head above water. Don’t recall having a story that hit me like that before, personally anyway. I’ve started a second playthrough in an effort to fix what I screwed up the first time although I’m sure more will go wrong, that’s just how this works.

7. Retne says:

Two games related gifts for me: The Stanley Parable, which is cool and I will buy for a few friends if I see it very cheap (the “very cheap” only because there’s three of them, and it’s not 100% their thing, so a bit of a gamble).

Plus a “subscription” (well, supporter’s badge) to this very Div/textarea I’m typing in. This very one.

8. Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

Nice to see Isaac getting more love. My game of 2014 i think.
    I have 153 hours in it so far, one save file has platinum god, the second is about 20 items away.

• colorlessness says:

Rebirth was definitely GOTY for me as well, but I feel like it fell into a weird place in coverage — most of it was pretty much ‘you’ll like it if you liked the first one’, which is true, but there was no reason newcomers couldn’t like it too…

9. ffordesoon says:

Adam’s story made me giggle.

particlese says:

Adam’s story made me giggle on the train. In front of all those people…

10. SuddenSight says:

Just wanted to mention how much I like this article. Its the humanizing details that make RPS so special. Hope you guys have fun this year.

11. J-Force says:

I am currently playing through the Mass Effect trilogy. It is awesome. It has made me laugh uncontrollably thanks to a scientist salarian and made me cry later. No game franchise has done both to me in the space of 24h. Impressive.

Damien Stark says:

I love that trilogy dearly.
      Mordin was my favorite character.
      If it’s not too late, I highly recommend the Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC, as I can vouch for it being excellent and worth the price. I have heard very good things about the Citadel DLC for ME3 as well, but can’t personally vouch for it yet.

I also highly recommend FemShep and mostly renegade (I was essentially renegade but loyal and respectful to my own crew), but I’d imagine it’s too late to change your mind on that one. = )

Most criticisms of the Mass Effect games are legitimate, but it does so many things well that other games don’t do at all. It left a lasting impression on me, and I remember more of its story and characters than I do of most sci-fi movie trilogies.

12. kalirion says:

Looking at my Steam recently played:

Marvel Puzzle Quest (of course)
    Gems of War (obviously)
    Rocko’s Quest (why?)
    Our Darker Purpose (rather good)
    Papo & Yo (pretty neat)
    Drox Operative (yay)
    Nearwood – Collector’s Edition (not bad)
    Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (for a bit)
    Boo Bunny Plague (hillarious but meh)
    The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (how not to?)

• raiders5000 says:

I guess I would’ve had: Marvel Puzzle Quest (for a bit but meh).
      Then: GRID (of course)
      Lords of Football (rather good)
      Warlock: Masters of the Arcane (pretty neat)

Heck, forget the 5 star & number systems. I like this far better, Kalirion!

13. raiders5000 says:

GRID, Lords of Football & Warlock: Masters of the Arcane Complete. Not necessarily in that order.

14. Frank says:

Huh, I just now noticed that Jim is gone.

15. malkav11 says:

The load times are such a problem for Inquisition. It’s clearly designed around flitting between areas and regular returns to your home base to initiate war room missions and craft and turn in research and such but when it’s easily 30-60 seconds every time it makes me really not want to go anywhere until I’ve done the entire area in one sitting.

• welverin says:

Entire area in one sitting? Hah, you’re hilarious! Half of them are full games in their own right.

I probably spent 20-30 hours on the Hinterlands alone.

16. Dilapinated says:

This article is lovely, thankyou.

17. Vapor_Strike says:

My current list of christmas played games:

Block N Load (Better with friends)
    TimeShift (Still my top game)
    GTA:SA (Android, gold starred 3 out of the 4 schools, on my way to 4)
    CS:GO (fucking missions)
    Splinter Cell: Blacklist (Oh, I beat the other on max difficulty, this’ll be simple. HA)
    Ace of Spades (One match every few days, just to prove that I’m still the best at knocking heads off)
    Robocraft (Send help)
    The Crew (Has the Elite: Dangerous feel of fun-but-not-fun)
    Elite: Dangerous (No flight assist is the way to go)
    Double Action: Boogaloo (My sides D: )
    Skyrim (Only a little, I couldn’t handle 300 mods :c )
    Far Cry 3 (Overhaul mods. I may have eliminated every single high-risk animal on the island by now, but I’m rich, so…)
    Firefall (Just for the events at the moment)
    Trackmania: Canyon (Drifter4Lyfe)
    Terraria (Because building blocky dicks is infinitely more hilarious when you trap your friends inside one fighting the Wall of Flesh)
    StarMade (I’m a sucker for flight games and space games. Which is why I haven’t strangled Elite: Dangerous yet)
    SimCity (Much more fun with friends, as you get to laugh at their failing city while they all commute to you for jerbs)

Damien Stark says:

I’m surprised to see John “Adventure Gaming” Walker disliked Wolf Among Us. I get the “it’s not really a game!” complaints about most of the modern Telltale stuff, but figured adventure gamers wouldn’t have that hang-up.

I went into Wolf Among Us with low expectations and instead found myself unable to stop playing until I finished the whole thing. Want to do a full replay as well.