Terraria Otherworld Is Not Terraria 2 But Kind Of Is

Why didn't they call it TerraRPG?

Ooh, you don’t see many spin-offs these days. Oh, right, Better Call Saul. Well, not in games. Oh, right, Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm. Look, OK, c’mon, just go with me here. It’s pretty unusual for a game series to divert into a spin-off rather than climb aboard the sequel treadmill. Side-on buildy/survival hit Terraria is doing just that however, with an RPG-inclined follow-up known Terraria: Otherworld. It’s set in an “alternate dimension” to Terraria prime and everything. Take a look below.

That does and doesn’t look like Terraria. Hard to say how it’s going to work in practice, but even harder to say that it won’t be enormously popular. Here’s the official description of what’s going on:

Set in an alternate dimension within the Terraria universe, Terraria: Otherworld places the player in a life-and-death struggle to restore a once-pristine world – now overrun by a malevolent force that has corrupted nature itself – to its original splendor. Along with a rag-tag band of survivors, will you be able to successfully harness the power of an array of weaponry, magic, defenses, and even the world itself to thwart the designs of this unseen evil?

Combining the experience of sandbox gameplay with role-playing and strategy elements, Terraria: Otherworld explores the Terraria experience in an innovative and unique way – providing a fresh approach to the “open world” genre.

It vaguely puts me in mind of what Amplitude are up to with the ‘Endless’ series – using shared aesthetic and thematic sensibilities to explore all sorts of different things. In theory that’s far more fun than a straight sequel.

There’s no release date, but it’s confirmed as a PC and Mac game. We should find out more around about GDC O’clock next month. Meantime, Otherworld has a minimal website and a sub-forum full of people asking very specific questions over here.

1. Wowbagger says:

I kind of bounced off Terraria and I can’t see this changing anything – the mechanics are just too simple and bland for it to be engaging for me.

• Lobotomist says:

I am very excited. Terraria is awesome. Starbound is awesome. This can only be x2 awesome :)

And if he adds more RPG elements and perhaps MMO functionality, than even better :)

• BlackeyeVuk says:

MMO functionality?

It has lan, it has multiplayer , it lets you create server. What else do you need?

A hub space for elitists and egofreaks to gloat over noobs? No thank you. It has everything already.

• GeminiathXL says:

But…..but…..I’d like to just stand at a hub, showing off my latest gear that increases my power by 0.00000001%, while talking condescending about the plebs and peasants who can only dream of putting as much time into a videogame as I do.

• Lobotomist says:

Groups, guilds , shared quests , auction house , characters saved server side , more player support , server clustering … thats just of top of my head.

• Janissaire says:

he want more hours of mindless GRIIIND.

• Jenks says:

You sound like quite the socialite.

Phasma Felis says:

LOL. MMOs don’t count as socializing. Go outside and look a human being in the face.

• Saiko Kila says:

“Go outside and look a human being in the face.”

Before plunging your +2 blade into it.

• whorhay says:

I really like Terraria but I couldn’t really get into Starbound, although it’s probably been a year since I played it last.

• Voqar says:

Terraria is so good that it makes most of its clones feel extra bland, and that’s how I’d rate Starbound even after a year (as even with all its updates and revamps it still feels lackluster to me).

I also wouldn’t call Terraria simple – in a way, maybe, but it has an MMORPG-like content progression and depth and utterly blows away all competition in that style of game, sort of like how WoW continues to crush all the wannabes after all these years.

• Kempston Wiggler says:

Definitely not my experience!

Like the OP I bounced off terraria very hard. I saw nothing but hours and hours of pointless, back-breaking resource grind punctuated by tedious monster combat.

Starbound, by contrast, is the far better game.

• Kurremkarmerruk says:

Starbound is just now getting some cool updates that make it worth checking out again.

• Jazzyboy says:

Play a bit more of Terraria and you’ll find that it’s far from ‘simple’. Late-game, there’s actually a lot of strategy required to ensure that you’re ready for whatever may come, and so that you can find the optimal times to go out mining.

2. hawken.grey says:

Starboundaria.

• Chalky says:

Terraria getting stick for being like Starbound is kinda funny. The whole thing is pretty cool though – Starbound does a bunch of things to outdo Terraria, Terraria responds by releasing an improved version of their game. It’s a very positive feedback loop for gamers.

A very popular game, so I’ll be keeping an eye out for this.

• Lobotomist says:

Indeed. Players win :)

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Terraria also isn’t a broken crashing mess at the moment, which helps.

• Kempston Wiggler says:

Neither is Starbound.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Yes it is.
            I picked it up after the last patch, it’s taking 10+ minutes to get into a co-op game and is regularly crashing for both myself and the person I’m playing with, both the client and the server. This included at the bottom of the first dungeon, just before the boss, this lead to us having to redo everything again, after this happened more than once, we decided to sack it off due to it’s instability.

Not sure if you are playing single player and finding that it works fine, however multiplayer definitely has some glaring stability issues at this point. There is even a warning on the launcher about bugs/crashes expected, so they are letting people know they are aware of the problems.

• Joshua Northey says:

Is Starbound actually fun? I keep trying out out occasionally and it always seems overly fiddly. There are all these things that need to be explained before you even start, which is the opposite of Terraria.

• emperor_nero says:

Last time I played it wasn’t. It was like Terraria being skinned all space-y then you taking out all of the cool Terraria stuff. The grind wasn’t fun, the bosses weren’t fun, the building wasn’t all that satisfying, the items were generally pretty generic, the fauna spawnin’ stuff was just stupid.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Things like “hold town then tap space” to drop through a platform, whereas tapping down is enough in Terraria are a real annoyance for me at the moment, just little things like that make it feel far clunkier, the platforming just isn’t as smooth yet.

• bakabruh says:

You can’t crouch in Terraria, you can in Starbound. How annoying would it get if you wanted to crouch on a platform and couldn’t because you’d fall through it every time? That’s the reason you press space as well as down to fall through. It needs to be this way because the game itself has more controls in regards to the player character.

• Kurremkarmerruk says:

Actually, Starbound is finally getting some good updates that are making it more fun and more unique. There are customizable and upgradeable ships, an outpost, better planetary system, better combat, a tech/implant system and an upgradeable ship AI, and tons more than i can remember.

3. Tei says:

I could see from here a lot of enhancements. Microilumination (I just made up this words, I don’t know what it means), Coronas, Mobile Light Entities (Its always entities), That Force Field Thingie, Horde Beavior (or maybe that accidental the video is too short to judge). It looks 2.0 to me. Maybe they are saving the name 2.0 for something true amazing and this is sort of a spinoff.

4. malkav11 says:

What I’ve always wanted out of this genre is to be able to use all this crafting and terrain deformation and so on in the pursuit of actual goals, ideally narrative ones. I thought for a while Minecraft was going to deliver that in its Adventure Mode, but that turned out to turn off the crafting and terrain deformation and so on, which entirely missed the point. Terraria came a little closer to having goals than Minecraft did, but still fell a ways short, plus had really really irritating spawn rates. Maybe this will be more to my taste. Here’s hoping.

• twaitsfan says:

This. Starbound’s latest gives some hope that someone my actually pull this off. I’m just surprised no one has been able to thusfar. Darkout comes close but is just clunky. There are a bunch of other clones out there and I had hopes for them (edge of space, windforge) but indeed they’re all clunky or just plain ugly.

Here’s hoping!

5. Zankman says:

I feel like this is going to end badly, with people complaining that Terraria Otherworld lacks certain features that Terraria has while others will complain that Terraria lacks some of the new features that Terraria Otherworld will have.

They should have simply just updated Terraria, even if it was an paid expansion. This isn’t going to end well.

• Joshua Northey says:

And those complainers will represent .05% of the audience and so if the developers just ignore them things will be fine (assuming the game itself is good). The first rules of videogame development is that 99% of the feedback you get on the forums is garbage.

• Zankman says:

What about those would-be complaints is garbage?

I wasn’t saying that the complaints/complainers would be the issue, I was saying that the disconnect between the present or not-present features WOULD indeed be a valid issue.

• Joshua Northey says:

Terraria came out, got a bunch of patches, was still patched well after the game was complete and the large chunk of initial sales had come in. And the forums still threw a fit when they suspended development.

People always want more.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Standalone or “expansion”, what does it matter? There is literally no difference for people willing to pay for the game.

6. SlimShanks says:

Terraria is fairly great. 40 hours playing co-op with my sister on my steam version, and 20 hours on my “other” copy. It is a very tense experience when you die in hell and drop all your good equipment, and then have to fight your way back down with crappy equipment. Also, I spent 40 gold on bubble machines, confetti, and smoke bombs, and then threw them all over the place when my sister was building stuff. Party time ensued.
    The only thing I really really want from terraria is structural integrity. I just hate floating blocks. I also find it difficult to keep myself from using exploits like said floating blocks.

7. Jalan says:

Confirmed as a PC/Mac title, to be sub-licensed out onto consoles as they see fit at a later date, amid rumors of the devs moving on to other prospects and the community getting turned upside down in fits of rage over the minute trickle of updates vs. the proposed deluge of content intended to satiate them until they die and their offspring create a new character to inhabit the world(s) they’d made.

8. Ejia says:

“Set in an alternate dimension within the Terraria universe, Terraria: Otherworld places the player in a life-and-death struggle to restore a once-pristine world – now overrun by a malevolent force that has corrupted nature itself – to its original splendor.”

Wait, I tried to do that in Terraria proper by splashing all the corruption with holy water. Are you saying that that is not, in fact, the proper way to do things?

• Jalan says:

Blasting the Corruption/Hallow/Crimson with the Clentaminator is the easiest way to be rid of it.