Ride The Post-Apocalyptic Rails In The Final Station

Society is falling apart as zombies rise and- no, wait, don’t scroll past: The Final Station [official site] is interesting! In charge of one of last trains still running, you’ll chugga-chugga-choo-choo around a gorgeous grim futureworld, plotting routes and trying to keep your train running by securing supplies. This is where it gets tricky. It’s also a shooter, as when the train stops you need to hop off and get shoot-o-exploring yourself. Here, have a look in this trailer:

Heck, I’d be happy with a simple train ’em up going through those lands. I’m especially into the sprawling megablocks.

I played a preview build of The Final Station in 2015, back when developers Do My Best were planning to Kickstart the game. I did enjoy travelling around, chatting with passengers, picking up missions, and rescuing people. Communicating with distant cities and pulling into deserted stations gave a great tone, especially as the train trundles through those lonely landscapes (did I mention how much I like them). The combat balance seemed off then, presenting me with no challenge or swarming me, but I’m sure they’ll have tweaked it since then. I’m keen to see how it ends up.

The planned Kickstarter seems scrapped, as publishers tinyBuild have picked up The Final Station and scheduled it for release this summer.

1. Boomerang says:

Utterly charming, love the look of this. Roll on summer.

2. anHorse says:

Um is it called The Last Station or the The Final Station? Or both?

I’m a bit confused

3. Kefren says:

Looks great! The train control bits remind me of Papers Please, which I just started today (and am finding surprisingly addictive).

4. xcession says:

Any hint of Mac support? I hate to be the broken record but it gets pretty frustrating to see fun games I’d love to play at work, of a relatively simple format and graphical style only appearing on PC. I’m not suggesting any old chump could write this, merely that it isn’t exactly, i dunno, Crysis.

• Guzzleguts says:

Assuming that you’re talking about lunch break – why not just get a tablet?
      Is it weird that a small indie team would start with the OS that has the most games, rather than one that has traditionally been for non-gamers? It’s almost like they have finite resources and don’t want to go bankrupt, the selfish idiots.

• Shuck says:

Depending on how the game is made (with Unity, for example), multi-platform releases can be trivially easy, so there’s no reason not to do it, eventually. If Mac users are anything like iOS users, they also spend far more on games than their market share would suggest. But yeah, games that require substantial work to port often aren’t worth it, regardless of team size. (I notice bigger games appearing on the Mac are often just running under emulation, in wrappers, with insane system requirements.)

• Ksempac says:

I take it you’re not a software developper ? (game or otherwise). Because there is a reason not to “eventually” release it on every platform your tools support: Every additional platform you release on is a platform you have to support.

Yes, depending on your engine the port, or multi-platform compilation can be greatly simplified. However, it first requires that you’ve got the rights to do it, because many tools (including game engines) will charge more for each additional platforms you want to release on ($).

More importantly, compiling/packaging something is only the first part of delivering any software. Then you’ve got to test the thing you’ve just packaged. That means you need an actual machine to run it ($$) on and you’ve got to increase your time devoted to testing because you’ve got to test several platforms instead of one ($$$). So already, additional expenses.

But that’s just the start. When you release it, you’re sure to get some bugs reports coming your way. Not only will this mean you will have to fix it, but it also means you will have to test it again on all platforms supported ($$$$$). Oh, and the more platforms you release on, the more chances there will be that some platform-specific bug appears so you’re gonna have to spend more time ($$$$$$) for that one platform you thought would be painless to use.

See all theses $ signs ? That’s all the things that cost you money because you decide to add a new platform for your game. So is that platform really worth it ? Is there a big enough market to support all that investment ? I don’t know

Maybe there is, maybe there isn’t. It will depends on your game, the public it’s aimed at, whether the people owning that platform are also the same kind of people that buy the type of game you’re making, the popularity of that platform, etc. The point is, that’s a cost/expected gain assessment that game (and software) developers need to make before deciding to go multi-platforms, and it’s definitely not a trivial question to answer.

• Mokinokaro says:

Don’t take this the wrong way, but Bootcamp and Parallels exist for a reason.

Mac gaming is always going to be more limited.

5. Andrew says:

There is nod to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or just to Стругацкие? Cool.

But as a game, is it FTL-light in structure or what?

• GenBanks says:

Yeah the train management thing reminded me of FTL as well. If so, could be really good. I wonder whether the maps etc are procedurally generated or pre-made.

• Pantalaimon says:

Always my first thought, too, when I see these kind of games. I just cannot imagine hardcoding maps myself when doing it procedurally has so many design and gameplay benefits. From the Steam page I guess there’s a fixed array of maps, but who knows.

I’m sure it will be worth playing for the experience but when games like FTL etc demonstrate the power that procedural tech can give to a game, without really sacrificing any of the atmosphere or narrative control, it baffles me when devs don’t leap at the chance of using it.

By the by, Adam Saltsman (Canabalt) is currently working on a similar road-trip styled post-apoc game called Overland, and it is procedurally generated, if that’s more peoples’ thing.

6. Michael Fogg says:

It’s high time sometime remads Transarctica (likely hell will sooner freeze over)

• unacom says:

I´m in on that one.
      Loved Transarctica.

• Shazbut says:

Never played it but the box art is mighty

• Shazbut says:

Reading about this some more, it actually seems Transarctica’s entire artistic design, if not even the whole game itself, were based off of the painting used for the box art.

• PancakeWizard says:

Not heard of the game but the description of it’s design makes it sound like a Psygnosis game.

7. Synesthesia says:

That looks delightful. Love the direction pixel art and animation has been taking for the last few years.

8. JuergenDurden says:

/me inserts snowpiercer reference into thread

9. KDR_11k says:

Ooooh, I remember some ancient C64 game where you had to drive a steam locomotive and regularly stop and shoot enemies in various ways. I remember having to blow the whistle often to keep the steam pressure from getting too high.

10. SRTie4k says: