Spiritual Descent Remake Overload Needs $17K In 4 Hrs

Edit: and it made it, with just under two hours to go. Yer new Descent will be a reality, then. Congrats to Revival.

The bums, they are a-squeakin’. There are just four hours left on the Kickstarter clock for Overload, the game from the core creators of the original Descent, and it appears they need to round up the best part of $20k in that time. A photo finish is not at all impossible, but I imagine it’s been a sleepless night for Revival productions.

Overload is very much Descent, that classic of six-degrees-of-freedom shooters, remade in appropriately pretty mordern-o-3D, and should not be confused with Interplay’s ‘official’ Kickstarted Descent game, which was made by folk not involved in the original game. If you’ve been on the fence, Revival put out a playable teaser demo thinger a few days ago. Alternatively, the devs are busy livestreaming the game on Twitch as the finish line approaches.

At the time of writing, Overload has $283,573 of the $300,000 required to fill its coffers – although I imagine actual development costs will be significantly more than that. Especially as they’ve now committed to a multiplayer expansion (given free to backers) in the event the game gets its funding.

Four hours to go. Best of luck, Revival.

From this site

1. Cinek says:

Descent Underground was a close call, despite of having an original IP and more attractive game planned. Yes, they did ask for more funding, but still… I wouldn’t be surprised if this one would fail.

• Cinek says:

And it looks like they’ll make it. Well done, well done.

• Razumen says:

Underground only has the IP, which they decided to try and cash in on when Interplay offered them the license. Overload has members from the original Descent team on it, and is much closer in overall feel to the originals.

• Kajisan says:

Just see it as simple as it is: When you’re about to create a game “based” on Descent flight mechanics..and somebody is coming along asking you if you want to produce “Descent” – you don’t reject the offer. All the things between Interplay and Paralaxx Soft became a public thingy after the deal. Descendent Studios even asked the original Descent guys to join but as we can see, they’re doing their own game now – and that’s fine.

• Razumen says:

Descent Underground was originally going to be multiplayer only, to me that’s definitely doesn’t count as a “more attractive game” and signaled that they were banking on riding the games name to fame, without living up to what fan’s actually expect from the series.

• Kajisan says:

Actually, Descent Underground is in a good shape thanks to a quite open development including feedback and ideas from the community.
      I wish Overload all best for the future. I wish both games will make their way without threatened as competitors. It already worked for Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous.

JiminyJickers says:

I put some money down, hope they make it. Very much enjoyed the demo, just wished they released it sooner.

3. KesMonkey says:

In the 30 minutes since this article was published, they’ve gone from $283,573 to $287,805. They may just do it!

4. Uncle Fassbender says:

This is so tense, caved in and pledged.

5. Simbosan says:

$290,634! But I’m not backing it, cos I’m broke

• Jekhar says:

Backed it out of remorse for pirating Descent 1 & 2 back in the day. I was a bad (and broke) teenager.

Strangely Brown says:

Hear, hear. While I can sort of rationalise what I did (no lost sale etc), I still feel bad about not paying when I had so much fun with it.

Not that backing this makes up for it, but I’m really excited about the game. Glad to see they made it. (they better, $400 to go as I’m writing this)

• Jekhar says:

At least i’m not to blame for the discontinuation of the Freespace series. I bought all of ’em. ;-)

6. ckpk says:

For anyone who’s interested in doubt, give the playable teaser a spin. The feeling of Descent 1 and 2 is very much intact, and still just as satisfying.

The kickstarter has less than $6000 dollars to go with 2 hours remaining, we gotta do this!

• Vandelay says:

I gave the playable test a go quickly and it does seem a lot of fun. I don’t have any nostalgia for the Descent games (I recall playing a demo of one of them, but can’t remember much else,) but definitely seems worth a bit of punt, particularly as they need it in the last couple of hours. Looks like they might just squeak past the requirement too!

• Bing_oh says:

From the demo, they definitely got the Descent “feel” down. Nice bit of nostalgia…I was a fan of Descent and Descent 2 back in the day, and (surprisingly, imho) there’s really no modern equivalent.

7. Aspirant_Fool says:

Funded with two hours to go!

8. rustybroomhandle says:

Spiritual, you say… a game in which we will venture into the heart of the Tree of Life itself!

9. Caiman says:

Best news all month that it funded. Tense to watch!

10. Yachmenev says:

Let’s hope we’re all as happy when the project continues. $300k is not much money for a game like this.

• Caiman says:

True, but they are obviously also putting their own money into this as well. This was going to be their plan B if this didn’t fun; release a cut-down version of their original plans. Now that they’re funded, they get to add 300k to their budget. But I’m ok with that, less money to be tempted to blow on CGI intros and expensive voice talent, just pure Descen… er, I mean Overload.

• Cinek says:

To be fair: They have quite a narrow scope. I’m more worried that people will be disappointed with what is actually delivered (as opposed to what they imagined) than that they’ll run out of money.

• Yachmenev says:

If they actually can scope this, then hopefully it will be fine. But this sum makes me think of other kickstarters like Road Redemption and Wreckfest, that managed to put up an early access product on Steam, and then kind fizzle out, with no real project end in sight.

I’m all for trying, and maybe failing, but still trying, but it suprises me to see how hopeful people seem to be about this, considering how harsh the critique has been against some previous kickstarters that people thought failed to deliver what they expected. Even RPS has been very harsh against certain developers.

• Caiman says:

The track record of the development team, and their clear ability to get shit done, is a big factor in this for me. It’s one reason I did not back Descent: Underground, given the Star Citizen heritage of its devs, but actually they seem to be doing ok with it (even though it’s Descent in name only). Having Mike Kulas aboard is a big reason why it’s going to be made. Also, unlike Road Redemption and Wreckfest, the teaser / demo they released it extremely polished, almost bug-free and enormous fun right off the bat after only 5 months of development. Just because they release a teaser doesn’t make it comparable with other teasers.

Risingson says:

Funded! My God, congratulations!

12. J3FFmaster says:

Not sure we really need another Descent at this moment in time.

It may have been better to wait and see how the other game does, then improve on its weaknesses and thus have an overall better game.

• Razumen says:

This one has developers from the original Descent games on it, the other one is Descent mostly just because they managed to get the IP. From everything I’v heard, Overload is the better of the two.

• J3FFmaster says:

Riiiight, because you have played both already and that’s how you can judge it? Stupid fanboy!

• Razumen says:

Nice, keep it classy.

Actual you can play both, there’s a demo available for Overload and backers can play versions of Underground. There’s nothing fanboyish about reporting the general consensus.

• Caiman says:

Revival have a better Descent game already at the prototype stage. Why wait for the results of a team who have never delivered a 6 dof game before, when these guys invented the genre and delivered 3 (arguably 3.5 because the canned Descent 4’s code appeared in Red Faction) of the very best 6 dof games?

13. Jediben says:

Well that’s the kids’ college fund paid for, what next?

14. Moraven says:

I took a pass on this since they gave no budget breakdown and $300k (before taxes, fees and physical rewards) seems under budget for their target date.