Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trailer Explains It All

I have only three questions about Deus Ex: Mankind Divided [official site]. 1) Can I get a dollhouse-scale recreation of that tree sculpture? 2) Does Adam Jensen take showers or baths? 3) Have Eidos Montreal spoken to Billy Idol yet?

A new trailer answers that second question for me, but if you have any more you might find them answered in the six-minute overview of Eidos Montreal’s cyberpunk FPS-RPG sequel. It gets into the plot, looks at Adam’s cool new powers and pals, teases more consequences to decisions, and shows lots of pretty shots of cybercities.

Yeah, that’s pretty cool!

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is due out on August 23rd. It had previously been scheduled for February 23rd, but Eidos Montreal Enix announced a delay last November. They explained, “as we are now playing through the game in full we can see that it will require more time in post-production for tuning, iterations and refinement to meet our high standards.”

Even before then, our own (non-augmented) Adam was jolly pleased with the preview version he played. “All the signs suggest this will be an improvement on its predecessor in every way,” said he.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. SMGreer says:

August 23rd? That’s my birthday, woo!

2. Infinitron says:

Notice the Morgan Everett cameo near the beginning.

3. JakeOfRavenclaw says:

Loved Human Revolution and can’t wait for this one, although I am curious to see how they handle the story. The “mechanical segregation” stuff seems odd–while there was a running theme in the first one of people being augmented against their will, so that they could be hooked on Neuropozyne (the prostitutes in Hengsha being a specific example), it doesn’t seem like there could be *that* many poor augs around (and the rich, especially the Deus Ex universe, can do whatever they want). Then again, there could be a scenario where ordinary people feel like they *have* to get augmented in order to stay competitive at their jobs…That wouldn’t really fit with the fiction of the original Deus Ex, but Human Revolution already strained the continuity to such an extent that it might be better at this point if they just decided to diverge from the original timeline. Anyway, I’m pretty hyped for it regardless.

• Nucas says:

the segregation is just a launch off from the first game whose finale caused all augments to lose their shit and murder a lot of people.
      there’s certainly historical precedent for humanity’s ravenous fear and willingness to otherize; japanese-american mass imprisonment during WW2 due to the incident on hawaii is almost a direct parallel.

• Frank says:

Seems like it could be made consistent. The Golden Age ending in crisis (DXHR) leads to “mechanical apartheid” (DXMD), after which a consolidated and tightly-regulated augmentation industry emerges, serving only military, police, criminals and the hyper-rich, with the next generation of tech coming in patented, standardized canisters (DX1).

• laiwm says:

I don’t think it got addressed in the game itself, but the website for the original went into the idea of people being pressured to get augmented by their employers and the legal issues around that. I could see the story working like: low earners were encouraged to become early adopters up until DXHR, for the twin purposes of making a bunch of cash and testing out the tech for the benefit of rich folks.

4. jasta85 says:

Was a big fan of human revolution, and this is looking pretty good as well. I hope they made combat and stealth gameplay equally interesting this time around, in HR combat was kind of boring for the most part, and you got all the best exp by being stealthy and non-lethal.
    I pray this won’t suffer the thief syndrome, I pre-ordered that game because of Human Revolution, big regrets from that.

5. kud13 says:

Mildly impressed with where the story seems to be going. Almost getting an Alpha-Protocol-type vibe from this “Jensen is a man on a mission willing to use everyone”-message. If that’s the case (including “real” choice re: go rogue or stay with anti-augs for most of the game), this may actually surpass DX in terms of choice and reactivity. Here’s hoping EM played AP and the Witcher games and took copious notes on choice.

I am also liking the (supposed) improvements in level design and Aug variety- though i’ll still probably avoid combat except for extreme cases (only place in HR where I ever go KILL EVERYONE is the Pods after the massacre)

In short, this has potential. I hated the story in HR, so there’s tons of room for improvement.

• SlimShanks says:

**** those guys!

• natendi says:

I also went on a murder spree after the pods massacre, was totally outraged at those Belltower savages!

• icarussc says:

Ha! Exactly what I did, too. I had been 100% nonlethal until that point, and I was so angry about those Belltower murderers that I actually snarled, “OK, guys, we’ll do it your way,” at my computer and I switched over to my silenced assault rifle.

• kud13 says:

I whipped out the arm-blades for the first time in the game. I wanted to make it as “visceral” as possible.

Benratha says:

Interesting! As soon as I saw the shield/ invisibility options I thought “Crysis”. But maybe also a pinch of Dishonoured (which is no bad thing).

6. SlimShanks says:

As an amateur writer, the one thing that gets me hyped about a game is good writing. And the Deus Ex games are some of the best written stories there are in in our medium. Human Revolution was incredible, and there is no reason this game shouldn’t be as well. Hopefully combat and stealth are equally rewarded and encouraged this time around, as the choice should come down to morality and practicality instead of dank xp gains.

7. Monggerel says:

♫ T H E D I S T A N T F U T U R E ♫
    ♫ T H E Y E A R T W O T H O U S A N D ♫

8. PanFaceSpoonFeet says:

Stealthy-stealthy-stealthy-HYPER GAY SPECIAL KILL MOVE!!!-stealthy,etc. It just doesn’t make any sense.

• Llewyn says:

Not content with causing major flooding, apparently The Gays have SPECIAL KILL MOVES as well.

Clearly the UKIP Loony Fringe are only trying to protect the rest of us.

• PanFaceSpoonFeet says:

Apologies Tatchell, please read ‘flamboyant’. My point was the spesh moves are absurd given the game’s main mode is stealth.

Harlander says:

I think stealth is meant to be presented as an equally-viable alternative to loud’n’murdery, rather than the primary mode. Though I tended to play stealthy in the previous games…

• Distec says:

Play styles outside of stealth were always meant to be viable. It’s just that they’re never as satisfying as sneakin’.

9. zsd says:

The rectangle sword drove me nuts in Human Revolution and drives me nuts in this trailer. Why is it like that? Could it really have any advantage over just a regular blade? Is it just a conscious decision to not be like Robocop?

• horrorgasm says:

You have big super sharp blades inside your forearms and the tips of them are right where your wrist joints are.

Also if you have a futuristic nanometer sharp blade and super strong robo-arms, what’s the point of grinding it down to a point anymore?

• roseerblooming says:

I may be just making this up, but if I remember correctly, I’m pretty sure it was some type of vibroblade?

• Catterbatter says:

I know! Like I get that augs aren’t really all bad people, but why do they have to act so weird all the time? I mean okay, you have sunglasses that can disappear into your skull. Nobody would ever care as long as you don’t go around flipping them on and off. And the square swords! Why can’t they have regular swords? Square swords will scare people. Personally I think they should try harder to assimilate, and then maybe they could start to earn their way back into society.

• Unclepauly says:

Just to stick it to the man.

10. Jeroen D Stout says:

represents just one square
    on a giant chessboard
    whose pieces are continually manipulated
    from the shadows.”

“I don’t care
    that they only speak in whispers
    I won’t let them
    have the last word.”

Pure, pure poetry.

• Jeroen D Stout says:

It took me a while to think it through but I am now convinced this was written in a collaboration of Garth Marenghi and Professor Nebulous.

• Jay Load says:

I totally read that with Garth Marenghi’s voice in my head. You may have just ruined the game for me too! Aaaah

• Jeroen D Stout says:

“Another mist remained
          a worst mist
          A mist that fogged men’s minds:
          the mist of mist-understanding.”

• monsieurZb says:

I’m Adam Jensen, I’ll do all I can to uncover the truth behind this conspiracy. But I’m not Jesus Christ. I’ve come to accept that now.

• Turkey says:

Last word.
        Last word?
        Last Word!
        And bits of sick.

• willy359 says:

“Bangkok, Oriental setting
      And the city don’t know what the city is getting.
      The creme de la creme of the chess world
      In a show with everything but Yul Brynner.”

Benratha says:

“One night in Bangkok and the world’s your oyster….”

11. Jay Load says:

This looks utterly glorious. Now cannot wait until this is released.

12. monsieurZb says:

“I will spare the life of this mook by using a concussive bolt to BLAST HIM OVER THE RAILING!”

13. Abacus says:

14. Elmilitante says:

My most anticipated game of 2016 hands down, nuff said.

15. Don Reba says:

Jensen, you seem like a smart guy, but doesn’t it strike you that what you are describing sounds exactly like a videogame?

• icarussc says:

I am laughing out loud right now. Boy, do I love RPS comments :-)

16. Chaoslord AJ says:

Is he still with that girl?
    Will there be different neo-victorian dresses for Jensen?
    Will brute force be punished again by the game (less XP)?
    Why is there a triforce in the lower right of the video?

17. Zenicetus says:

This is going to be a very small nitpick, and maybe it’s because I’ve been playing a bit of Witcher 3 on a second run to get ready for upcoming DLC… but the facial animations in that trailer don’t look very good to me.

In the cut scenes, they’re mostly rigid masks with just a little eye, eyebrow and mouth animation during dialogue. It has a last-generation look to me. Again, maybe it’s just the Witcher 3 influence, with the very mobile and expressive faces in that game. I’m spoiled now.

This game won’t live or die on the facial animations. I was just expecting a little better. The rest of it looks good and I’m sure I’ll buy it eventually.

particlese says:

Yeah, there’s definitely something wonky about it. On a second viewing, it does like there are some nice subtle aspects to the facial animations here and there, but even the first time I noticed the exaggerated head-based body language (a mild peeve of mine), the “e” face shape that looks like The Terminator trying to smile, the low frame rate and/or uninterpolated body animation (from jittery mocap?), and some odd crispness about the models and textures in the heads department. I’m doubtfully hopeful there’s a ton of simulation-related stuff to blame for all that. Looks like they have that simulated hair thing going on, at least, and that explains some of the crispness. And then there’s the original Deus Ex’s supposed real-time simulated mouth movement based on analysis of the voiceovers’ waveforms. From here, it seems like it would be a tad unnecessary if they went much further with that sort of thing, but it would be darned cool if they did. Unimmersive simulation, yipee!

At any rate, I’ll probably still enjoy the game and eventually get used to its brand of wonk. Not sure I’ll ever get used to seeing those augmented glasses retracted, though….

• Unclepauly says:

I highly doubt the original Deus Ex used real time simulated mouth movement when the NPC’s only had like 4 movable joints and the mouths didn’t even move sometimes.

particlese says:

Ah, here we go, the let’s-play with a couple of the game’s creators. If I botch this link, search youtube for “deus ex let’s play warren” and skip to 3:25, and Sheldon Pacotti (dialog writer) will regale you with words about the game’s real-time lip syncing. Granted, the lip movement isn’t quite up to thestandards of HL2’S explicitly scripted facial movements or whathaveyou, but it’s pretty cool what they accomplished.

• Chaz says:

Probably due to all that synthetic flesh and plastic surgery.

18. Stevostin says:

TBH my main concern is the writing. While not blatantly embarrassing like Thi4f, it had it’s shameful moment but more importantly, it had absolutely no even half good one. Everything was cliche at best, and dull the rest of the time. They packed every computer on the game with stories that were boring to death.

People thought little of the writing of say, Dead Island, but to me it was already significantly better that DX:HR. Square Enix seems to be really terrible at this.

• Turkey says:

I feel like every AAA video game story now is either a personal revenge story or a story of the downtrodden rising up against the evil empire. I’ve never experienced either of them working very effectively.

• kud13 says:

Witcher 3 was almost refreshing in its “rescue a love one who’s (sort of) in distress” combined with “your character mush help The Chosen One save the world”

The revolutionary undertones were reserved for optional sub-questing.

19. Koozer says:

Nyeeh, I’m torn. The plot sounds interesting enough, but turning Jensen into a generic soldier man could get dull fast.

particlese says:

My big question is whether George Clooney will be playing himself in this game. Will they try to ape CoD Whatever’s Kevin Spacey gag, or is this just some dude who bought a George Clooney’s Actual Head™ aug back in the day?

alison says:

Gosh i want this game so badly. I don’t think i’ve ever paid full price for a AAA game, but now they’ve left me waiting so long i may have to. I hope it’s still optimized for last year so my computer can run it in 1080p.

22. Jetsetlemming says:

I like how they keep having hints and cameos of the Illuminati characters from the first game, as if I remotely give a shit about them instead of Gunther and Anna.

23. Jason Moyer says:

Holy crap! Given the way all AAA games are trending, I was expecting the new DX to be all LOOK AT OUR MASSIVE OPEN WORLD AND HOW POWERFUL WE MADE ADAM and instead we got LOOK AT OUR TIGHTLY DESIGNED HUBS AND HOW EVERYTHING REACTS TO THE WAY YOU PLAY THE GAME. Eidos Montreal FTW.

Now give us a proper Thief 4 (not that I disliked the reboot by any means).

• Raoul Duke says:

Hmm. I had the opposite reaction. To me this feels like the typical class-based, rock/paper/scissors type approach that modern games increasingly take.

Instead of “here’s a large-ish, well designed level that you can tackle as you see fit and watch the emergent results” it’s “DO IT THIS WAY OR THIS GUY WON’T LIKE YOU YOU MAY CHOOSE STEALTH OR KILLFEST”.

24. ElementalAlchemist says:

> Can I get a dollhouse-scale recreation of that tree sculpture?

Not from Square-Enix I would imagine, but there are other options. You could get someone to 3D print one at a suitable scale. It wouldn’t be too difficult to replicate it via 3D modelling.

25. Louis Mayall says:

I loved the last game, but I do wish old Jenners had a normal human voice and less terrible facial hair. Like seriously, why is it a rule that protagonists have to sound like Batman? Does he have a perpetually sore throat? Still, probs be a cool game.

basilisk says:

Actually, the guy voicing Jensen (Elias Toufexis) sounds just like that in real life. He’s not doing a Batman there, that’s genuinely his voice.

26. Raoul Duke says:

This magical technology is strangely absent in the first game, which had as a core plot point that the Denton brothers were the first nano augmented agents. I really wish that if people must steal the names of great games to sell their lesser works that they would at least respect the source material.

Likewise this forced augmented apartheid nonsense is not mentioned in the original.

And why does our protagonist have to look and talk like such a grade A tool?

• jonahcutter says:

He never asked for that growliness.

Actually, I believe that’s the way the actor just sounds.

• Asurmen says:

Why should they respect the design and tech limitations of the previous games? The designers now have different ideas and the engines to pull it off.

Also, pretty sure that Deus Ex didn’t mention every minute worth of history in it. Just because it didn’t mention it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. That’s the point of prequels.

• Raoul Duke says:

Why should they respect the design and tech limitations of the previous games?

Because they are trading off the legendary status of the original Deus Ex to sell their little sequel. They were, of course, perfectly free to come up with their own game series.

And we’re not talking about a “design and tech limitation” anyway. Similar, although not identical, augmentations were shown in Deus Ex 1 (e.g. JC Denton had a form of nano missile shield from memory). The whole point was that they were radically advanced and had never before been seen at the point in time where that game was set. Yet here we have Mr U2 Facial Hair running around in public with magical invisibility, magical nano-armour, etc etc.

Well, it did very extensively cover the backstory via numerous newpapers, books, conversations etc.

And that aside, the fact that JC and Paul Denton were super advanced was the whole premise of the game. There’s an entire subplot revolving around the fact that Gunther and Anna suddenly find themselves feeling like “antiquated” tech because of their very crude mechanical augmentations. But again, now apparently Gravelvoice McGee here has vastly superior augs many years earlier.

It’s just lazy. They should have made their own game, Cyberpunk Dudebro and the Magical Powers, or else respected DX1 as canon. But, like the new XCOM, they want the power of the brand without displaying any loyalty to the artwork that gives it its appeal.

• Asurmen says:

Nothing you said seems to beat the point though. They have absolutely no reason to be stuck with limitations of the past.

27. dksd says:

I loved Human Revolution. My first run was stealth/Non-lethal. Then I tried a Stealth/lethal approach but sadly it didn’t work as expected since lethal takedowns where noisy and slower than non lethal. Usually in other games killing enemies is faster but you get some kind of penalty. Instead in HR there’s no advantage in going lethal. Hell, even shooting them in the head gives you more experience than using a deadly melee takedown, even when the last one is harder to accomplish. I hope they fix that Mankind Divided.

28. NephilimNexus says:

“I don’t care that they only speak in whispers… because I do too.”

29. rabbit says:

i wonder if anyone, anywhere has ever fit more exposition into six minutes, ten seconds of video