Rumour: No Man’s Sky Delayed

BLAST OFF!

“Psst. Psst!” Oh lord, here is again, Ian Video Games come to disturb your quiet afternoon pint. He shoots you a wink and sidles up. “No Man’s Sky?” he asks, leaning in to tapping his nose conspiratorially. “NOT Man’s Sky more like! Wait… NO Man’s Sky more like! Wait. I mean… NONE Man’s Sky? LATER Man’s Sky! If you catch my drift.”

The latest juicy rumour whirling around is that No Man’s Sky [official site], the gorgeous procedural sandbox universe from Hello Games, has been delayed. It was due in June but now… sorry, Ian’s just jabbed himself in the eye doing all that nose-tapping. I’ll fetch the first aid kit then get back to you in a sec.

Okay! So! Several sources told Kotaku that No Man’s sky will not make its June 21st release date. One of their sources works at GameStop, which is a bit like Tesco but they sell video games, and says they’ve been ordered to cover up the release date on marketing odds and ends with “Coming soon” stickers. I’ve seen some folks who work at other GameStops say they’ve received no such thing, mind. The other snitch is “a reliable Kotaku source” who, well, could be our Ian for all I know. Supposedly the game will be pushed into July or August.

That’s what the rumours say, anyway. No official public response yet.

In the meantime, why not check out Pip’s preview from a few months ago?

If it is delayed, hey, I can wait: I’ve barely scratched the surface of Norman’s Sky.

[Disclosure: I was once pals with someone who works at Hello Games but we’ve drifted apart. It wasn’t a falling-out or anything. Just time and distance, man. Must I lay my soul BARE to you?]

From this site

1. Andrew says:

I’m not gonna cry. I promised myself, that I’m not gonna cry. And I’m not. I’m not!

2. MrLoque says:

I bet my left kidney this game will be a huge, enormous, gigantic, epic disappointment. There is too much hype around it.

• njury says:

This. How is it possibly going to have everything everyone wants, as apparently everyone thinks it will.

• cpy says:

Hype = expectations. More hype more expectations more crushed dreams more fails.

• Andrew says:

Not necessarily. You can be hyped about next installment in a long running series of games, that not change much at all. You just want same thing, but more of it. Then it’s not expectations, it’s knowledge. I mean, you still expect it to be good, but that’s not the same.

In other words, you can be hyped about dinner and birthday presents.

• zarthrag says:

…and, despite previous experience, all it takes is a snooty publisher…er…waitress and a lump of coal to fall woefully short.

• Andrew says:

I heard from Stephen Merchant, I think, that you start as a new fresh cool thing, then you a “enough of them already!”, but if you stay there long enough, then you a national treasure. I’m pretty sure it can be said about a lot of things, and on internet it simply way more quicker process.

I’m still in a hype-wagon. But, you know, in a small, reasonable one, build on what they actually said about the game.

Harlander says:

I’m pretty much hoping for Noctis V with a bit of game attached.

• Andrew says:

I’m very confident, that “No Man’s Sky” would be good for a The Great Outdoors article. What I hopping, is for “Elite”/“Star Citizen”, but way less complicated. You know, flying around, looking at pretty things, gathering stuff, pew-pew, maybe a little bit of trading and NPC interactions. And, yeah, your thing is cool, too.

X_kot says:

But what did Natalie Merchant say about the game?

• Andrew says:

Also, I like that it’s not, say, “mediocre game”, but “huge, enormous, gigantic, epic disappointment”. That’s telling.

• derbefrier says:

i think it will be fine. if you’ve actually read articles about it they are pretty clear what the game is about. its a game with a focus on exploration, crafting and flying spaceships around in a colorful proceduraly generated universe. tey have given just as much info pre release as any other game out there. I think this “people will disappointed no matter what” is just nonsense spoken by drive by commentators who haven’t been following the game and are reacting purely to the hype around it. Console land has been hyping it up a lot yes, but there have also been dozens of articles detailing what the game will play like( IGN has quite a few) and you can visit community sites like its sub reddit and people there know whats up and to me at least have there expectations firmly in check.

• Freud says:

The gameplay videos of it made it look quite boring and empty. You go around, look a bit at the fauna. Shoot rocks with your gun because that’s mining.

It looks beautiful, but procedurally generated content need a game with excellent game systems to work.

• PancakeWizard says:

I’ll take that Kidney. being delayed a couple of months implies they want to get it right. It’s not enough time for a do-over, it’s enough time for a bit more polish though.

• Aerothorn says:

Kidneys are very important. I recommend not offering to place them on silly bets about game quality.

• Rinion says:

Of course it will, it’s basically looking like Half Life 3 in terms of what people expect from it.

• kromeboy says:

Yap: and there isn’t a lot of gameplay released compared lets say to Stellaris (which is still a disappointment for many people).

I am really skeptic that I will find this game enjoyable.

3. njury says:

I can’t figure out if this will be for me or not.

• slerbal says:

I’m in the same camp: “Camp So Much Hype I Can’t Actually Tell What The Game Is Anymore Or Whether I’d Like It”.

They really need to work on that name if it is ever to succeed as a summer camp…

• Turkey says:

I’ve just decided it’s a flying/walking sim with minimal world interaction. That way I can’t be disappointed when it doesn’t exceed my expectations.

• TeePee says:

I’m currently (only partially tongue-in-cheek-ishly) referring to it as ‘Kerbal Space Program without the Rocket Science’.

I like the idea of NMS, and I’m really rooting for Hello Games, as I want to believe that a small studio like those guys can make something genuinely impressive, but I’m a little worried that there will be a lot of world(s) and not much to do in it, but like others, I’ve heard so much hype I don’t even know what it is anymore. I don’t even know why they’d include the zombie Peter Molyneux world…

4. bandertroll says:

Delays are good, just because polishing and bugfixing in first days\weeks\month are disappoint me.

5. Babymech says:

The amount of dad jokes in Alice’s writing could supply an army of dads for a century of conflict.

• hpoonis says:

Am not sure Dad’s Army actually got into any conflict…excepting the kind that occurred with Chief Warden Hodges.

6. Stone_Crow says:

My best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it’s pretty serious.

7. Chaoslord AJ says:

I can’t imagine what the actual gameplay turns will be like, hope it will be great for the asking price not a desaster along the lines of Starforge or “forever-work-in-progress”-Starbound.

Still there are so many questions left between the lines of exploration, space and procedural.

• Andrew says:

Long time ago, I was watching “Transporter” (2? 1? one of them) in cinema, and whole way through, I was pointing to my friends “that was in a trailer”, “and that was in one”, “and that, too”. Same with some games nowadays: you know what to expect, from start to finish. And, just as a thought, maybe it’s not a good fit here. You fly, you gather, you fight, you trade, you discover (key word, IMO). What else do you want to know? I want to know how good it runs on my PC and how good are controls. I would test it out, then it released, with Steam refunding as a safety cushion.

I’m not trying to defend this game, not really, it’s just there is a lot of weird behaviour around it. People hate it already, ‘cause it’s not gonna be Universe Simulator of Their Dreams™? People still not get what it is? Weird.

On the other hand, no one knows what da hell is “Ion” from RocketWerkz is all about. So, not that unique of a situation.

8. Spinkick says:

I’m worried that they are having a hard time finding the fun. I just get spore feelings about this game.

• chabuhi says:

^this – I’ve been trying to avoid pre-order and zero-day insta-buy (I’m ashamed to admit a frequent problem for me with hyped games) and I think this latest delay may have me safely in the wait-and-see camp … emphasis on “may”

• jenkins says:

I’m in the same boat. I was so disappointed with Spore that I promised myself it would be the last time I pre-ordered anything.

And I held true to that promise for 9 years. Until NMS. I’m fully prepared to be just as disappointed, but desperately hoping to be wrong about that.

9. Don Reba says:

Did he start retwitting politics?

10. int says:

Couldn’t think of a good pun so I made a meme: link to i.imgflip.com

11. DeadCanDance says:

Is anyone seriously disappointed? With so many great games released (DOOM, Stellaris, overwatch…) I am almost thanking them for the delay. This way I can enjoy them properly.

• chabuhi says:

Good point. Am I alone in not completing 8 out of the last 10 games I bought? Yes, I’m the guy with Witcher 2 AND Witcher 3 icons next to each other on my desktop.

• Andrew says:

No, that’s just you, I don’t use desktop.

(joking aside, I really don’t, I use Wox)

Nauallis says:

Nope, not just you!

Haven’t gotten past cruiser tech in Stellaris. Great game, but IMO needs at least a 2-3 hour window to really enjoy loading a save. I’m playing on Ironman, because why not.

Latest DOOM checkpoint is on the Argent Tower mission. Fun game too, just haven’t been in that mood lately. Gamepad feedback (vibration alerts) is rather meh.

XCOM2, got to tier 3 weapons and armor, said “eh” and haven’t played since March. Never finished a playthrough.

Fallout 4, got to needing to pick one or none of the factions for the main quest. Decided they were all dickheads. Got sick of the long loading times. Stopped playing. Started a new character because reasons.

Witcher 3, got about 40 hours into first playthrough (just before going to Skellige Isles), game started having framerate and lag issues during a gryphon fight. Stopped playing, haven’t gone back yet. Want to!

• fish99 says:

Forcing myself to play through the faction-choosing and story-finishing part of Fallout 4 made me end up disliking the game, so I think you’ve picked a good spot to stop playing it. It’s a shame it turned out that way because I played 180+ hours and enjoyed a lot of it.

12. heinz says:

I heard another rumor from a reliable source (my ass, as reliable as kotaku apparently, i can sit on it) That it might get an early release while E3 is on.

Can you guys get a official statement at least before becoming part of this shitty rumor mill.

• rochrist says:

It’s being reported all over the place. I’m pretty sure its true.

13. rochrist says:

Wait, I was reliably informed that only Star Citizen suffers delays!!

14. fish99 says:

While I feel like I know what you spend your time doing in this game, thanks to watching all the footage, there’s still the question of whether any of that stuff is fun, or whether those systems have enough depth to keep the player entertained. There’s also the question of whether the worlds will keep feeling different enough to stop it getting repetitive.

It’s a shame there’s no building in the game, that would have added a lot more to do and more reason to mine/collect stuff.

15. syllopsium says:

I’d rather it was released when it’s ready, my backlog of games is huge anyway. It looks different, and fun, and even if it’s just shoot the rocks/gather resources/head inbound to get plot it could be worth it.