Have You Played… AdVenture Capitalist?

Don’t. Not if you value your time, your intelligence and your sense of self-worth. I did not, and it ruined me for months.

AdVenture Capitalist is an incremental game – one where you try to make sums of pretend money keep on growing higher by pressing buttons as and when they light it. There are no shortage of the buggers these days, and that is precisely because Game ScientistsTM have now figured out exactly how to tap into whichever wretched part of the human brain responds to even the slightest and most ephermal sense of reward. Press button, number gets bigger. Ooh, do it again!

Months pass.

Fascinating games go unplayed.

Books go unread.

Loved ones are neglected.

Nothing, other than the passing of time, is achieved.

Sense of shame becomes absolute.

Please, don’t be like me.

I am not saying that AdVenture Capitalist, and others like it, is a bad game, don’t get me wrong. There is craft and intelligence there; no dev could just knock out something with that complexity of escalation and pacing.

What I am saying is that it is an evil game and should be removed from the face of the planet, for the sake of humanity.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. hobiew says:

I concur. Played this game like a madman about a year ago, starting a month before final exams. I neglected doing final exams (I even skipped one) to be able to get the next upgrade for my oil company. If anyone has ever been addicted to Hearthstone, I would compare it very much. I WOULD STRONGLY SUGGEST AVOIDING THIS GAME!!! It is pretty fun though.

distantlurker says:

Next have you played, “Chasing the dragon”

2. MooseMuffin says:

Path to 2880 oxygen bars on the moon is bullshit amirite?

• Luciferous says:

I finished the moon and the mars… now I’m slowly closing in on finishing Earth… one day.. one fucking day!

• Absalom Industries says:

Don’t hold your breath. By all accounts the final achievement takes about 10^18 years to finish.

Or only 10^6 years, if you max out on multipliers and Flux Capitalators and suits and Platinum upgrades.

So, yeah. We may be here a while.

3. Faldrath says:

I’ve never played that one, but I am still playing Cookie Clicker. Achievements unlocked: 92%! Cookies per second: 7.086 septillion! The chocolate must flow. The grandmas must not be appeased.

4. crowleyhammer says:

Yes and if i put as much effort and time into making real money i would have been much better off.

5. VeritableHero says:

If only making money was as easy as it is to burn time playing this game. I was playing this on my phone and home computer and work computer. Finally kicked the habit after intense self loathing.

6. leeder krenon says:

OH NO. NO. DO NOT PLAY THIS. OH MY GOODNESS. all that time i lost :(

7. Chaoslord AJ says:

Not that bad anymore – it takes weeks to make progress.
    Grinding through Sandcastle builder and Kittens Game in parallel at the moment, fills the entire evening.

8. ceptri says:

So this is going to sound like a “work at home and make thousands” spam post, but hear me out!!!
    So I used to play Adventure Capitalist way too much, so in a fit of anger I decided to write an idle game myself and put it up on Kongregate. My main goal was to make one that you could win! So, anyway, three weeks later (my day job is game programming, so doing this is pretty easy), I put Galactic Clicker on Kongregate and low and behold I get a check from them in the first month for ~$1000, incredible! It’s been about a year and half now and it almost has 1,000,000 people playing it. Damn thing still buys me a pizza and beer every month! I think I’m going to finally bite the bullet and release it on the app store.

• Luciferous says:

Dude if true then get it out there in the world, stick some harmless adds in there that reward a temporary boost to the numbers generated and enjoy a steady income… even if it isn’t much.

phuzz says:

I tried playing the kitten game for a bit, but I wasn’t getting any reward (apart from the occasional new button to click), so it never really hit my addiction centres.
    I’ve had a to assume that this is another type of game that just isn’t for me. I feel glad in this case.

10. MadTinkerer says:

Never again.

With that said, this does remind me that I should make my own time-waster some time. Not to inflict on anyone else, just as an exercise.

11. SomeDuder says:

Am I missing something? I’m playing this on a tablet, it’s just… something to check up on once a day, something that just runs in the background and available to play around with. Only the events can sometimes require more frequent checks.

If youre “addicted” to this, you may wanna look up something called “heroin”, I hear it’s p. good!

• Keios says:

As Harry Hill said- “The main problem with Heroin is that it’s very moreish”.

12. Alberto says:

Seems an internet version of my childhood game “push +1 in your pocket calculator and see how high you get until get bored”

13. santouryuu says:

yeah,i played it.it all started so innoccently.i was out on a trip,and wanted something to do during the car rides besides watching the scenery.so i thought why not try this?so i started playing adventure capitalist.till i got back home,i had more or less done gotten over the initial stage,and now onwards i had to chech the progress only 2-3 times a day.but slowly and slowly,it began getting worse.after getting moon,the game slowed to a crawl but an update made it a bit faster.i think that was the worst period,where the speed was still high enough that i wanted to keep checking my progress,and then the festival events only made it worse.finally,i saw that it was occyping an unacceptable portion of my mobile’s storage,so i deleted it not caring what would happen to my saves.turns out the game didn’t have cloud storage for saves,and i was freed from the curse.never went back

14. zsd says:

My Steam review of Adventure Capitalist:

Squeeze a lemon, get a dollar.
    Play a while and you can squeeze a lemon to get a million dollars.
    Play a little longer and you can squeeze a lemon to get the dollar value of the Earth and everything in it.
    Play longer still and you can squeeze one lemon to get more dollars than there are atoms in the universe.
    You will hire someone to squeeze the lemons for you, getting that many dollars many times per second.

It will never be enough.
    You will squeeze lemons until you hate both capitalism and yourself.
    Why am I giving this game a thumbs up?

15. Person of Interest says:

The silver lining of this game is that it was an excuse for me to learn how to do some spreadsheet programming. I’ve got it such that the spreadsheet tells me how many minutes/hours/days until I can buy my next meaningful upgrade, so my life isn’t ruined by my constantly re-checking the game. The initial ramp-up for a new weekly event (only active about once every two months) takes a couple hours, but is sort of like doing the rote groundwork when starting a new town in a city builder.

Definitely, if you are checking your game’s status too frequently (if there isn’t a 2x/3x bonus waiting for you, I think it’s too frequent), you should uninstall it as it’s encouraging unhealthy behavior.

16. April March says:

I haven’t played it, but from the amount of “[friend] is playing AdVenture Capitalist” messages I got from Steam (which I don’t have set to start with the system and only run when I’m playing a game on it) I feel like I already did.

17. Ejia says:

The only idle games I have time for are Cookie Clicker and Kittens game.

18. stuw23 says:

Played it, and honestly wish I never started, even if I only check it once or twice a day for a minute at a time. Moon and Mars have been complete for a while, but I’m at a huge wall on Earth. After 4,600 Newspapers (where I currently am) the game slows to a total crawl, with weeks (or months) between meaningful upgrades. Even with the recent boosts introduced (platinum upgrades), there’s still people on the Steam forums who have calculated it will take billions upon billions of years to complete Earth. The idea of a game that has been designed to be unbeatable, luring the player in to spending money in the fruitless hope of completion, annoys me considerably.

19. Mostquito says:

Hello fellow Adventure Capitalist patients!

I bring you the cure for this curse.
    1., Set the clock in your phone back to 1970.
    2., Run Adventure capitalist.
    3., Switch task and change your phone’s clock to 1083.
    4., Go back to Adventure capitalistz and buy everything.
    5., Repeat this for a day.
    6., Everything is finished, you are cured.
    7., Spread the word, heal the world.

(Tested on Android phones.)

• Mostquito says:

Obviously 2083, not 1083.

• Mostquito says:

Also left out step 8-10..
        8., Think about all the thousands of years, that would needed to finish this horrible, horrible time waster and never do it again.
        9., Also cure yourself of clickergame-addiction with autoclickers!
        10., Make something useful with your time in the future.

20. left1000 says:

in terms of depth and interesting features and long term fun playing an idle game. my ranking list is basically:

why is adcap the one to get recommended by RPS? adcap doesn’t need it, it’s already got the most exposure. I hope someone reads this and plays kittens or anti-idle, there’s a lot more to manage in them than just watching numbers go up like in adcap.

There’s various types of numbers! to balance and exchange and optimize!

21. Fatemaster says: