Farming Simulator 17 Introducing Female Farmers

Farming Simulator 17 [official site] brings a new setting, new vehicles, livestock, crops, and mechanics. Oh, and you’ll finally be able to play as a female farmer at long last.

Players will be able to choose between male and female avatars when creating their character. When it’s time to expand your farm, you’ll get to hire both men and women to help you tend the fields, too. As an added bonus, you’ll also have the option to customize your character’s clothing, so you can be fashionable while driving your tractor around the farm, dodging cows and harvesting corn and such.

The addition of female avatars was a popular request. Giants Software noted in their announcement. “As requested by the passionate Farming Simulator community, the ability to play a female farmer reflects the diverse and ever-expanding industry of agriculture, making Farming Simulator 17 more realistic and rewarding than ever before.” The people have spoken, and Giants Software have listened, it seems.

Farming Simulator 17 is out October 25. We’ll probably next hear about Farming Simulator 17 at Gamescom, held in Cologne from August 17 – 19. It’ll be playable at the Giants Software booth, where they’re also hosting a bunch of fun things including stage activities, raffles, and, most exciting of all, the chance to catch flying cows.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Kodyack says:

People and their Farming Sims. It’s barely even a game. *goes back to obsessively playing Stardew Valley*

2. Stellar Duck says:

This is good.

Though I don’t recall having a body in the game? Aren’t you just a floating camera?

Anyhow, this sort of thing is always nice.

• logofascinated says:

The player character is visible when using external view to see your vehicle. Maybe there’ll be more in FS17.

• Stellar Duck says:

Oh, of course! That didn’t cross my mind at all, as I pretty much don’t use external views.

Thanks for clearing it up.

3. MajorFordson says:

Blech, just like train simulators it seems Farming Simulator is doomed to always run on a janky game engine that looks 10 years behind the time, without any proper integration of physics or meaningful depth. My brother gets into this stuff, he loves real life farming and vintage farming machinery, but even he can’t stand how sterile and artificial everything feels.

If the game had more elements like the game Spintires (terrain deformation, mud, getting bogged etc) as well as more real-life farming considerations (machinery breaking down requiring repair minigames, weather conditions that need consideration etc) it would be excellent. As it is it’s more like an excel spreadsheet with a 90s driving sim on top with some terrain texture spraying.

• LewdPenguin says:

Sadly I have to agree, until I start hearing about the new graphics engine, and new physics wouldn’t be at all amiss either, then FS17 is unlikely to be a purchase for me. I already made the mistake of buying the Gold map addon during a sale forgetting you can’t mod it, and it looks ghastly trying to play the game unmodded with the default 30 feet rendering distances. Sadly it’s never going to happen given that the devs have said in the past that keeping the game looking like shit and giving the user no real options is deliberate so they don’t have to deal with providing more user support to the idiots with 15+yo hardware trying to max everything out.
      At least FS15 will still be something I can keep coming back to every now and again, new character textures are something I really dgaf about, and so far nothing about 17 has really grabbed me as being a must-have upgrade.

• noodlecake says:

I think it looks fine. I wouldn’t expect a game that sits somewhere between indie and AAA in terms of budget and team size to look as good as The Witcher 3.

• LionsPhil says:

I think they physics criticism is a fair one, though. Mashing in Spintires is a great idea; what’s farming without muck?

• brucethemoose says:

I just want SpinTires to be open sourced and the physics to be implemented in every game imaginable.

4. Skiv says:

Pfeh, People and their niche games.

*goes back to playing OMSI and ETS2 with 10GB worth of mods each*

5. carewolf says:

Can you also get pink farm equipment now?

6. fuggles says:

Out of curiosity, does the game support different colour skin types, or the ability to mod/reskin?

7. Avus says:

next mod, NAKED (female) farmer skin!!

• Zankman says:

… I… That will happen, won’t it?

“I just prefer the aesthetic, you know, a prettier model”

*gives female model balloon tits, twig-wide waist and an incredibly detailed vagina*

8. stoner says:

Oh hell no. I played FS2011, FS2013, and FS2015. When I bought FS2015, I though there would be significant differences from FS2013, such as new crops, orchards, etc.

Nope. Same crops. Same bad physics. Some new equipment pieces. New clothes. Oooo, but FS2015 added FORESTRY. Kinda.:

1. Same crops. Same wheat, barley, corn, etc. No orchards.
    2. Bad physics. Bump another object at the wrong angle, and your vehicle goes skyward. I’ve actually had large vehicles hung-up in trees. Giants is aware; they just don’t give a damn.
    3. New equipment. Who cares? The modding community continues to create 100’s of new vehicles. The modding community is the ONLY thing keeping FS2015 on the respirator.
    4. Forestry, right? There’s a FS2013 mod that added Forestry. Giants simply incorporated it.
    5. New clothes. Yep, there’s a FS2015 mod for that.

I said it a couple years ago; I won’t be suckered into wasting money on FS2017. I will wait for the Steam Bargain-Bin-This-Game-Is-A-Waste-Of-Money sale to get it for $5-$10. Even then, I’ll have to think about it.

9. baseless_drivel says:

Well, I suppose it’s tolerable since it’s a game. If we can have women being warriors, why not farmers too? It kind of ruins my sense of immersion seeing a woman operate farm machinery and do farm labor, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Personally, I draw the line when we start letting women impregnate other women. Not On My Farm!

• Stellar Duck says:

” It kind of ruins my sense of immersion seeing a woman operate farm machinery and do farm labor, ”

Just out of curiosity, is this earnest or sarcasm? Surely you’ve seen actual women who work as farmers?

At least where I’m from it’s something you see from time to time.

Aitrus says:

The only machinery women IRL can figure out how to operate is a sewing machine, so I’d wager he’s being earnest.

• Cederic says:

I live in a rural area and it’s fair to suggest that the lady in the screenshot does not represent the average farmer.

Our farmers have broad shoulders, a solid jaw, a certain solidity around the waist, biceps built by proper hard work and wispy grey facial hair.

No, that’s not the men I just described.

phuzz says:

Best not go to the actual countryside then.

10. N'Al says:

RPS comments system – still no edit function, but over-eager mods. I like it.

phuzz says:

Two days and nobody’s posted it yet, FOR SHAME!