Steam Game Charts: So Much Sky, Man

I cannot in good conscience be seen to apparently promote the number one game, so here's Captain Blood instead.

Hullo! One day later than usual because I spent yesterday on a beach next to an industrial estate, but as always, here’s what sold best on Steam last week. It is ever so faintly possible that you might have a very slight inkling as to what is number one. I could not possibly comment myself.

1. No Man’s Sky

Disclaimer: I did some writing for No Man’s Sky, so must not write about it here. (All I will say myself is that I am increasingly terrified about quite how many people have (unknowingly) read my words.) Instead, I asked my colleague John Walker to quote a line from his review which I could include here in order to illuminate curious punters: “Every scrap of writing in this game was clearly by a group of imbeciles who should be murdered.”

2. No Man’s Sky

Disclaimer: as above. I like writing games and hope to do more please, but promise not to share opinions about them here. I hope, however, you will not object to my observing that I am not entirely sure which No Man’s Sky is which, but one of the two entries here is the pre-order version with its bonus ship and the other purely post-release sales. I’m going to guess that 1) is the latter, but I am willing to be proved wrong, so long as you fight me to death first.

No, DOOM, don’t do this to me. Don’t destroy my love for you by forcing me to think of something new to write about you week after week. Oh no it’s happening it’s …THE CACODEMONS DON’T LOOK QUITE FUN ENOUGH… it’s too late help me it’s haaaaaapening…

4. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

5. RimWorld

In this, the year of DOOM and No Man’s Sky and ongoing Fallout and everything else, it’s worth reminding ourselves that this is also the year that Stardew Valley, Factorio and RimWorld were also break-out hits, offering gloss-free deep simulation and complexity rather than action and flash. PC gaming is still being PC gaming, even if it is drawing ever-closer to what’s going on on console in some respects.

6. Grand Theft Auto V

7. XCOM 2

Well hello, old friend, where did you spring from? Exciting new DLC? A big patch that makes the strategy map less clickfesty? No such luck. ‘Twas a near-half price sale that, I’m afraid, drew to a close two days ago. Glad to see it back though, not out of some kind of brand loyalty, but purely because given this thing is still able to sell well, perhaps Meier, Solomon, DeAngelis and co will yet grant us a major, Enemy Within-style add-on.

8.Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Here on pre-orders alone – it’s not actually out until August 23rd. I can’t see sign of a sale or an expiring bonus, so as far as I can establish this is simply anticipation kicking in now that a new Deus Ex is so close at hand. Which is actually faintly surprising, given I’ve seen a fairly minimal amount of marketing and/or hype for it – uncomfortable real-world-issue-co-opting aside. I’d expect there to be more noise than there is about a new Deus Ex, but perhaps the fact that it is a new Deus Ex is almost enough in and of itself.

9. Fallout 4

Bethesda’s sandbox massacre and occasional conversation game just keeps on coming back, due to intermittent DLC and sales, which means that, for the first time, it gets the GIF.

10. Dead by Daylight

Oooh, you cheeky swine. I thought you’d slipped away from these charts for good, but you’ve snuck right on in again at the rear, even despite Hello Games hogging two spots. Look, I know, it’s lovely that you’re such a success, but you, Fallout and Doom need to go away and have a chat, see if something can’t be done to ensure we’re not still blithering about this same handful of games come 2016’s close. I won’t pretend there’s anything to be done about CSGO and GTAV, of course. Those guys are never going to see sense.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. karnak says:

Those “Transformers” GIFs… genius!

• Darth Gangrel says:

They’re a (Optimus) Prime selection, especially the last one which looks like a robot rave party.

GIF’s is the GIFt that keeps on GIF-ing.

2. FurryLippedSquid says:

I had never seen a robot punch a horse, before.

Cheers, Alec.

Oakreef says:

Oh my god I forgot about the episode of Transformers where the Decepticons find a magic golden pond that makes them invulnerable and then just stand around shooting eachother for laughs for a minute. Thank you for reminding me.

4. Otterley says:

• Otterley says:

Hey, this was a reply to a really petty post. But it just disappeared while I was replying. The Alec’s post, of course, wasn’t too long. Practically perfect size-wise, would read again.

• lesslucid says:

tl; dr
        Kidding, read the whole thing, and thought it was quite a reasonable thing to say.

5. leeder krenon says:

Captain Blood pic reminds me about how terrible I was at that game, I never met that alien :( But oh what a game.

RaveTurned says:

That’s you that is. Or rather, that’s one of the clones (duplicates) of Blood that you’re meant to be finding and disintegrating for their precious vital fluids.

I was also terrible at the game, to the point of not knowing that was what you were meant to doing. But then I was eight, or thereabouts. I only found out the actual plot of the game from an internet walkthrough years later.

6. parallax1 says:

Here’s hoping that Deus Ex Mankind Divided will be a great game. Nixxes is involved on the PC side, and they did a good job with Deus Ex Human Revolution.

Don’t care about Denuvo at all – no issues with the games I have played so far at all that contains it.

particlese says:

Oh, nice, didn’t know Nixxes was involved again. They did do a great job of making it feel like a proper PC game.

7. yogibbear says:

Well it appears gamers are enjoying No Man Sky. Despite it being the most shitposted game in the history of shitposting. Or steam charts are lying… I’m sure reddit will continue to shitpost this game for all eternity for whatever crazy reason they’ve all somehow come up with. I’m personally loving it.

• dangermouse76 says:

r/PCmasterace should add a No-No-mans-sky filter to it’s banner.

• Anti-Skub says:

Or…number of sales doesn’t offer any indication of customer satisfaction. The tens of thousands of negative steam reviews from people who bought the game does though.

• dangermouse76 says:

Steam No man’s sky.Positive (23,837) Negative (18,037). Not tens of thousands but a large number for sure.

Flavour Beans says:

Unless I’m mistaken, they’ve been mopping up the reviews by people who got refunds. So it might very well be tens of thousands, with enough removed.

• MikoSquiz says:

Buying and enjoying aren’t the same thing. Half negative reviews is massively high. It’s not Bad Rats, but is closer to it than it is to Doom or Elite: Dangerous.

8. Perjoss says:

It was Captain Blood and Purple Saturn Day, 2 games from around that era that felt strangely ahead of their time, mostly because I had no idea what I was doing in them yet loved them both and couldn’t stop playing them.

9. puninnabun says:

Scott Manley.

10. Czrly says:

Care to explain why NMS got two spots? It’s one game, right?

Nauallis says:

maybe RTFA next time

Flavour Beans says:

Steam gives list slots for each distinct purchasable item. In this case, it was Game Plus Preorder Bonus, and The Game Alone After Release. You’ll sometimes see the same thing when a game comes out with a regular and deluxe addition, or with or without a season pass bundled in.

Nauallis says:

I’m quite surprised that RimWorld has hung on to top sales as long as it has. I wonder how much sales volume Ludeon used to be getting on their own page prior to shifting to Steam…

12. stuw23 says:

Those Transformers gifs have absolutely made my day. I do hope they return in the future!

13. Someoldguy says:

Strangely, the one thing I didn’t see John shit upon in his NMS review was the quality of the writing. It may not be the greatest literary prose in the history of game writing but I’m genuinely enjoying the Vy’keen backstory as dripfed to you by hundreds of monolith visits. It reminds me a bit of the Gith backstory in Torment. Unless of course Alec wrote it, in which case it must ipso facto be awful ;)

14. AngoraFish says:

Could do with less snark, as if it’s somehow unreasonably tedious to declare potential conflicts of interest then simply move onto to business as usual… instead of RPS’s normal policy of throwing a minor passive aggressive tanty as if, how dare normal journalistic ethics apply to a successful commercial internet publishing operation employing multiple career journalists.

• puninnabun says:

That’s not the point. They’ve been publishing a lot of articles about NMS, and they’ve all had some variation of the disclaimer about our Alec. It’s well past the point where the joking is warranted.