It’s A Post-Apocalyptic Africa From The Creators Of STASIS (And Another Peek At Free Side-story Cayne)

The makers of STASIS, the cyber-gothic adventure game which Alec thought was just dandy, have revealed their new game, Beautiful Desolation [official site]. We don’t know much except that it will be set in a post-apocalyptic Africa in which giraffes have grotesque bulb heads (see above to recoil in horror), but we do have this short trailer and more news on their free follow-up to STASIS.

Horny. The website also offers some clue about the character you may be playing as in the new game, saying: “He is not from this place or time…” The South African developers, Brotherhood, will be launching a crowdfunding campaign soon.

Meanwhile, they’ve also released another trailer for Cayne [official site], a short free addition to the STASIS story, following mother-to-be Hadley after she wakes up in a horrifying medical facility after “what she thought was a routine procedure”.

It’s going to be a self-contained story within the same sci-fi horror world, and is promised to be spoiler-free for anyone who hasn’t played the original and wants to test the (murky) water. It’s going to be much shorter too, at about one and a half hours, but hopefully the devs will have learned to stay away from the point and click pitfalls Alec pointed out in his review – there were some classically frustrating puzzles and quicktime-style deaths right before lengthy and unskippable exposition.

No word on an exact release, but we are told Cayne will be out before the end of the year. As for the giraffe-things of Beautiful Desolation, we don’t know yet. We’ll tell you later.

From this site

1. SableKeech says:

Loved Stasis, and this looks amazing too!

yhancik says:

Why are futuristic transparent flat or holographic-ish screens always monochrome blue?

alison says:

I’m looking forward to both of these. Stasis didn’t do it for me, to be honest. I am a huge fan of point and click adventure games, and of sci-fi horror, but the mix just didn’t work for me. The plot came across as hackneyed to me, and the mood was just relentlessly bleak. Imagine watching Crash on loop for 8 hours straight. But the audio and the graphics were incredible, and the boldness of attempting to tell this kind of action/horror story in the format of an adventure game was commendable. I think these guys have a great future if they can tighten their writing skills.

4. Someoldguy says:

Now if only we could get some post-apocalypse RPGs made that were set in interesting places like this instead of USA. I love Fallout but the Vault-Tec world does feel a bit too familiar now. Almost comfortable, despite the dangers.

• Unsheep says:

I don’t think Americans and most British would buy these games though, you could hardly get them to play Witcher 3 because it looked “too European”.

• LexW1 says:

Sure they would.

It’s just a matter of presentation. Present the place as exciting and intriguing and you’re good. Present it as “not for you”, and you’re not. Far Cry manages it with no problems whatsoever.

What’s more, on pretty much every Fallout board ever you have tons of people going “Oh I wish they’d make a Fallout set somewhere more interesting…”. It’s not like FO3 or FO4’s destinations were popular choices – they weren’t.

I’ve never heard someone refuse to play TW3 because it “looked to European”, either, very skeptical as to where you got that one from.

5. Unsheep says:

STASIS was an awesome game and this new one seems very interesting. This is one of those great Indie studios that I’m keen on following and supporting.

6. montorsi says:

Heh, I remember the maker of STASIS posting on a forum about a personal project he had been working on, off and on, in his spare time and whether anyone would like to see screenshots of it. He seemed uncertain whether he’d ever manage to finish it. Whether he should try to get help funding it. Turned out it was STASIS, early on. I’m glad to see it was successful enough that there’s new games in the works.