Walking Dead Season 3 Shuffling Onto PC In November

The third season of guts ‘n’ conversation adventure game, The Walking Dead [official site], will be coming out this November, Telltale has telltold the people of PAX. As we heard at E3, Clementine is making a return – older, wiser and probably much more killy. She’ll have another playable character alongside, the lesser-known Javier, who has “been through hell” and looks a bit like a knackered Zac Efron.

The season’s official title has gone a bit overboard, and they are now calling it: “The Walking Dead: The Telltale Series – A New Frontier”. It’s set four years after the events of the first season, and Clem is now a teenager with bucketloads of zombie-murdering experience. Javier, meanwhile, is “a man struggling to keep his family together in the new world.” As ever, the decisions you made in the last game will carry over in some way. Here’s what Kevin Boyle, producer at Telltale, had to say about it.

“When we began this series, we explored what it meant to protect a character like Clementine at all costs. Years later, meeting her for the first time, Javier will begin to unravel the mystery of who Clementine has become, as her story intersects with his – both of them still driven by the things they value most long after society’s collapse.”

In other Telltale news, Batman’s second episode has also had its release date unveiled. But there’s no news on the second season of their Game of Thrones tie-in, except that it’s still planned. I enjoyed that one the most, I think, the way each playable character was often at odds with another, the Forester at King’s Landing pitted against the Foresters at home. Or maybe that’s just because I played it through with my other half, her making the decisions for some characters, me making them for others, often shouting at each other “WHAT ARE YOU DOING” when our choices didn’t align. Anyway, more of this sort of basic treachery please.

And you? Looking forward to seeing Clementine again? Or has she served her purpose as the series mascot? Press left to throw her into a pit of zombies, press right to save her from their bony hands. You have two months to make your decision.

From this site

1. zxcasdqwecat says:

I don’t have a couch and a pad to play it though.

2. Creeping Death says:

I really wish they would ditch clementine. I feel like I’m the only one that didnt like her. I didnt choose options that were in her best interest in season 1 because I liked her, but because the character you play as (Lee) liked her and I liked him.

I never finished episode 3 of season two and have absolutely no desire to return to clementine.

3. Cimeries says:

Clementine rocks, especially my Clementine from Season 2. I let X kill Y then killed Y myself. Was brutal, but fuck ’em both.

• DarkFenix says:

I shot X before they could finish Y. I know it was the right call, but damned if I didn’t tear up all the same. Still, that’s nothing compared to the ending where X kills Y, then you part from X one way or another.

4. Marr says:

I don’t dislike Clementine, but following this one character as they somehow survive all three games makes her feel like a Mary Sue, and the world feel unlike the Walking Dead. This series needs not to have a player character avatar encased in plot armour.

• Marr says:

It actually spoiled the first game for me when the sequel was announced, because it meant she was immortal for now and all of Lee’s fears were groundless.

• gingerbill says:

that’s not the game’s fault though that you waited to play it till you knew what happened :)

• Sarfrin says:

It’s consistent with the TV series, which has had the same main for 6 series.

• Big Murray says:

The Walking Dead literally has the same thing with Rick and Carl though. And there’s no guarantee Clementine will have “plot armour”. She could easily be killed in this season.

• Marr says:

She could be, but I’d be pleasantly(?) surprised. So far each season had its single PoV character, it might be nice(?) to lose that certainty this time around. It’s still plot armour if it holds out until the last episode.

5. gingerbill says:

I liked playing clementine . Hopefully they can keep the character from getting stale , it should help she will be older and different.

Telltale games really need a new engine though.

6. Nick says:

I don’t have a whole lot of faith since the last few season 2 episodes, but I have enough residual caring (? for want of a better way of putting it) for the character(s) to at least try this, but last chance territory.

• Nick says:

also, if season one didn’t make it obvious enough, season 2 and GoT made it horribly plain that if you get to choose if someone lives or dies, both characters are dead anyway. Its a peek behinf the curtain that kind ruins their supposed “story is based on your choices”. Which wouldn’t bother me if they didn’t spam it every chance they got, when its clearly bullshit.

• DarkFenix says:

Yeah the question of “who lives, who dies” when it comes to player choices has become a bit transparent. Like when at the end of Season 2 the choice of who lives/dies left me with the assumption that whichever character survives, they won’t live through even the first episode of Season 3.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

I’m really curious whether TT will basically repeat the recipe of season 2 with regards to Clem’s human baggage/companions. We’ve seen no sign of any previous party members in the promos, which does indeed suggest that they might be killed or separated from her in the opening minutes of the story. That would be particularly sloppy writing on TT’s part, especially considering how season 2 ended.

• Tssha says:

Yeah, if you want to create a story where decision matters, then every time you make a choice, you make a fork in the path. You then have to write both forks, and those forks will only multiply with each meaningful decision. Killing both characters merges forks…which makes those choices less meaningful, because they’re both gonna die (just a question of when), but does make the story far more manageable.

Merging forks (or ignoring them altogether) does reduce the individuality of a story, but is sadly a necessary evil. At least within a story the choices matter.

• Marr says:

It’s odd that your decisions never mean the difference between a character dying, or leaving the group and going their own way, never to be seen again. Mechanically identical, worlds apart in emotional impact, but if someone dies in any future, the universe conspires to bump ’em off in every reality.

7. Monggerel says:

In Season 2, I was kinda wishing that Kenny “The Final Apocalypse” Boatswain would just fuck off and drown in a toilet by complete accident, but the entire season ended up being about him. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Thirith says:

People always bring up the whole “Your choices are purely cosmetic because they don’t change the plot!” thing – which I half agree with. However, even if the plot tends to course-correct and end up more or less the same, in terms of characterisation it still makes a huge difference to me. My Lee felt like a decidedly different Lee based on what he decided, even if the end results were the same. Same with Clementine, or Bigby. Why I do what I do is both important and interesting to me in these games. If you’re just watching these characters from the outside, then yes, the choices are all smoke and mirrors. If you empathise, then they make a world of difference. Thematically they’re relevant especially in The Walking Dead, since the franchise is largely about who we are as human beings and what our actions make us if around us humanity is dying off.