Bonza Zooming: Forza Horizon 3 Released On Win 10

Australia’s natural car ecosystem was ruined by the arrival of European invaders and the foreign cars which stowed away on their ships. Facing no natural predators, car species like the BMW M3 and Reliant three-wheelers quickly dominated all biomes. Forza Horizon 3 [official site], as I understand it, is a game about subtly stamping out those invasive species by driving them quite quickly and unsafely. ‘Racing’, the pest controllers call it. Now we can join in, as the Australian open-world racer is out today on Windows 10. Hark, a launch trailer:

So! Forza Horizon 3 is about a big festival as a big excuse to go driving all manner of cars over a pint-sized open-world Australia, from fancy racing ones to no, seriously, the three-wheeled Reliant Supervan. Races take place all over the land, from cities to the rainforests and outback, and if you drive your car quickly – more quickly than other drivers – you’ll win. It’s not quite super-serious sim racing but it’s not an arcade racer.

It’s meant to be pretty good! Our chums at Eurogamer really dug it, as did the folks of cheery RPS fanzine PC Gamer. There are a few known issues with the PC version right now, mind, mostly to do with wheels and other driving peripherals.

Forza Horizon 3 is £49.99/$59.99 on the Windows Store for Windows 10. I’d link you to the Windows Store page but the Store app doesn’t let me copy links and the browser-based version is throwing error messages at me right now so cool, thanks Microsoft. People who bought a fancy edition were allowed in a few days early, but now it’s out for everyone. Horizon 3 is one of those ‘Xbox Play Anywhere’ games, which means that if you buy it digitally you get to play it on both Xbox One and Windows 10.

While a demo has been out on Xbone for a few weeks, word on PC is that a demo “will be released sometime after launch”. Players who wish to try it now are pointed towards a different game, the free Forza Motorsport 6: Apex. Well, it’ll give some vague indication of Horizon 3 will run, at least?

From this site

1. JNB says:

This deserves a prize, a literal trophy for most tortured metaphor :)

2. Xenotone says:

£50…Windows store… Nope! Looks great but nope.

• Malcolm says:

Yes, I suppose this is the problem with play anywhere titles. You end up having to pay the hardware-subsidising console price tag even if you only want to play on the PC.

• Zeppelin says:

I agree the Win10 store is a nightmare and this was always going to the case (pricing). But I’m not denying myself the chance to play one of the best games of the year for the sake of an extra £10.

I’ve sold an £350 console that I previously had to own to enjoy Halo, Gears and Forza and otherwise collected dust. That’s a whole lot of extra £10’s I’ve saved over the coming years by not requiring an Xbox ever again. I paid £50 for some terrible N64 games 20 years ago, I think £50 isn’t too shoddy in real terms considering the content within at the same price point.

I think it’s a fair compromise and I think given the choice a lot of PC only gamers would take it over not playing some pretty highly acclaimed games at all.

• Faldrath says:

Discussing “good value” is usually hopeless, but I’d just like to point out that, in some markets, PC games are usually much cheaper than console ones. When Microsoft starts charging console price tags for PC games, it gets a bit ludicrous.

Here in Brazil, for the price of FH3’s Standard edition (R$200), I can buy, on Steam, F1 2016 (R$105) and Project Cars (R$90). If I try the Ultimate edition, you know, the one that actually has all the cars, the price jumps to R$317. That allows me to add Assetto Corsa (R$56) and Automobilista (R$80).

So… yeah. Hard to justify Forza Horizon 3 at the launch price for PC in Brazil. I assume the situation is more or less similar in a lot of markets.

3. -Spooky- says:

“Well, it’ll give some vague indication of Horizon 3 will run, at least?”

With framedrops, microstutter and other nice features. Go check the Forza Forum and find a nice playground for all “nerds”.

• Chaz says:

Yes but to be fair, if you go to the support forum of any game, then you will find people who are having problems.

• -Spooky- says:

Of course, i don´t deny this. But .. Why did we have to use an “App” instead of full software, like other game clients and why is it not in Fullscreen.

Hollow said it too: Borderless Window can work, but not for the most users. And .. Where was the QA to test this client / build?

• hollowroom says:

Hmm. Running in a borderless window rather than fullscreen seems to be causing issues with alot of people, and that’s not going to get fixed… I’ll give this a miss I think.

4. haradaya says:

I’m waiting to hear some opinions from people with wheel setups. Crossing my fingers that it’s a bit above Need for Speed 2016 handling.

• Llewyn says:

Historically Forza games have been well above NFS games for handling, although the first Horizon was considerably more arcadey than the contemporary ‘main’ Forza game. They sit, with Gran Turismo, in that middle ground – they’re not sims, but they feel like they’ve been made by people who have at least driven a real car.

• tomaac says:

Handling of cars is good. Not quite Gran Turismo level, but still pretty good. Way above NFS and even Codemasters. And would be fine for wheels, if only wheel support wasn’t completely messed up on PC. It takes a while just to get G27 to work, not to mention adjusting settings, because default are unusable.

• haradaya says:

Thanks!

• Don Marcos says:

I’m at work now. But im hearing a lot of issues with wheels. Since I have a G27 and the game is intalled at home, how did you make the wheel work?

5. UncleLou says:

Fantastic game. It’s too expensive for PCs (you can buy a boxed Xbox One version fur much less) and full of further paid content, but I couldn’t resist. I’ve voted with my wallet when it comes to Forza for 10 years by not buying an Xbox, so I stupildy bought the Ultimate edition. Je ne regrette rien.

• -Spooky- says:

The boxed XBox version will not work w/ “Xbox anywhere”, just the digital one. And the ultimate is way cheaper, so far (DLC incl., instead of buy them all single).

• UncleLou says:

Yeah, of course, but as a PC owner, you can’t choose to buy a (boxed or not) PC-only version. I guess “play anywhere” is a nice feature if you already have an Xbox, but of zero interest for me, yet I have to pay for the feature, respectively for parity reasons.

• -Spooky- says:

I´ve more the “cross plattform” multiplayer in mind, because most of my mates in the states (uh, rhyme tho) are playing on xb1. :)

• Rhythm says:

Really frustrating seeing Microsoft sell the physical Xbox version for £35 from their own store, where the digital PC version is locked at £50 through Windows Store.

6. MeestaNob says:

This looks nice, when does it come out on PC?

7. int says:

Leave it out Rodney!

8. tomaac says:

Do not look at Forza Apex to see if this will work for you. Apex runs fine, but FH3 has some serious optimization problems and seems to run fine only on Nvidia series 10 cards and new Titan X. 7th, 9th series Nvidia and all AMDs seems to have a lots of problems with performance, stuttering, freezing, driver breaking crashes etc. The game seems to be severely broken, or it’s the UWP that’s messing everything up again.

• brucethemoose says:

The Pascal cards are probably just brute forcing their way through optimization issues, because they can.

9. Zanchito says:

As I started reading the article, I had to double back to check the author. Alice. Delicious humour!

Anyway, I’ve not been following this game, when people say “open world”, does this mean it’s like “The crew”? Are locations based on real places, or simply draw a light inspiration from them?

Bugs, prices, yet another new gamestore keep me from buying. I wish this was on Steam / GOG.

• -Spooky- says:

a) Open world like Test Drive Unlimited / Burnout Paradise etc. – yes.

b) Is it real deal with the places? So far yes .. Gold Coast / Australia.

c) Microsoft on GoG or Steam. Nope?

• Zanchito says:

Thank you, kind sir! Let’s hope Microsoft does sales too!

10. Amphetamine says:

So here’s an interesting quirk with how Play Anywhere works:
    I bought the super expensive version on Friday after unexpectedly oming into some extra cash. My best mate has an Xbone and it’s the only Xbone that my live account is logged into, making it my “Home” Xbone. After purchasing the game and installing it here on my beloved PC, my best mate gets a message from his Xbone saying that Forza Horizons 3 is being installed. So it turns out that The Xbone side of the game (and all of the DLC) is registered to whatever your home box is, not your individual account on that box.

tl;dr Got a mate/family member with an Xbone? log your live account into their Xbone to make it your home box and they’ll get a copy of the game for free when you buy it.

11. scudly says:

It’s great, when it works. Which sadly is a lot less frequently than it should be.

As of right now on my i5 6600k with 32gb of RAM and a 980ti the game will start up and run great. If I however exit the game entirely I will then have to reboot my computer entirely or else the game will crash on the intro video.

There’s tons of people who have a similar issue and there doesn’t seem to be any one singular thing tying the issues together.

12. Avus says:

Microsoft sucks at making game for MICROSOFT Windows… Is this logical?

Ericusson says:

Ok the next comment probably does not strictly fit into the RPS comments guidelines but err well here goes :

Lol windows store.

‘Stops reading.’
    That is for sure one way to seppuku your game.

14. yogibbear says:

Game crashes every ~30 minutes or so. It crashed 30 seconds into the game when first starting out. It crashes at various story cutscenes throughout the game. Runs flawless 60fps locked V-sync on @ 1440p on i7 4770k & 1080GTX.. but it actually feels absolutely jittery and laggy as all hell as if it is phoning home to some server or something rather than actual FPS drops. The menu system for upgrading / customizing your car in the garage is extremely laggy, like you will literally press right to scroll right in the menu, and the menu will buffer in the next icon. The game also starts Windowed. So every single time I crash I have to watch it’s UWP pathetic excuse in a window again. Yes I have MSAA at x0. So far the only thing that has reduced the crashes was going into task manager and setting Core 0 affinity to off.

15. CountVlad says:

So… just Xbox One and Windows 10 then? That’s a shame, I would’ve bought it if it supported Windows 7. It looked quite good from the previews. :(

• xvre says:

It looks so good because of DirectX 12, which is Windows 10 only.

• hpoonis says:

Ah, alas! Microsoft can stick up their arse. I am not going to be heading to fuckdows10 anytime soon. I tried it way back when and it caused a complete of the PC to the point that anything useful was not longer functional. No net, no rollback, nothing. Weeks of harassment to ‘upgrade’ rendered what miniscule respect I had for microspasm to dissipate completely. I begrudgingly run Win7 as most of my favourite gamey entertainments lurk on that platform but if the software knobs ever pulled their fingers out and UNIX’d their shit, I’d be off like a robber’s dog to the free and open source land of LinUnix and would not bat a teary eyelid.

• hpoonis says:

gah!!! “…complete meltdown…”

Y’know, even in the olde days they had pencil erasers to correct mistakes.

16. vorador says:

It’s a great game, but a terrible port. The fancy self-decrypting DRM causes slowdowns while loading and eats CPU cycles like nothing, and while it runs solid locked at 30 FPS, if you go past it it suffers from stuttering and random FPS drops. Not to mention the crashes some people suffer.

If Quantum Break does well on Steam, hopefully Microsoft will do a win32 version of the game.

17. Sp4rkR4t says:

Price is too high and no support for Steam controller. :(

• xvre says:

Never held a Steam Controller, but I imagine using touchpads to drive cars at high speed is not ideal.

• Skian64 says:

It’s actually rather regrettable. The left analogue stick is typically what you’d use to steer and I rather liked the idea of using the backside buttons (triggers?) as paddle shifters. But alas.