Darkest Dungeon: The Crimson Court DLC Announced

Mostquito-lookin’ vampiric horrors are coming to Darkest Dungeon [official site] in its first DLC, named The Crimson Court. But are they friend or foe? Given that potential party members in the ace dungeon crawler already include Grave Robbers, Occultists summoning tentacles from beyond the stars, and Abominations who can warp into unholy beasts, it could go either way. I’d certainly welcome a fancy bloodlady to my party. Developers Red Hook Studios aren’t giving much/anything away for now, but do tease that the DLC will include a new playable class.

What’s up with that fancy lady and her pals anyway? The announcement simply says:

“The Blood! I must have the Blood!”

Which is fair enough.

Red Hook did confirm to those folks at cheery RPS fanzine PC Gamer that The Crimson Court will include a new playable class, but that’s about all we know.

Are the vamps potential chums? Will they be foes, perhaps bringing a new area to raid with new enemies and bosses and all that? Will the new class be someone geared towards hunting mozzmen? Dunno! The DLC’s contents, scale, and price are unannounced for now.

Look for The Crimson Court some time in “early 2017”.

I do dig the mosquito vibe. Horrifying insectoid fancyladies would be a welcome change from your usual Regency vampires. Check out the full announcement poster, take in those proboscis-y noses and all the mozzies buzzing around (not to be confused with Mozzers – a very different threat, that):

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

Kitty says:

I’m with you on that one, Alice – having a fancy bloodlady join the party would indeed be fantastic. Then we have faux-werewolves and faux-vampires alongside each other. How nice.

2. Anthile says:

But will there be rusted chains of prison moons that are shattered by the sun?

distantlurker says:

Isn’t there a crimson court in Runescape? & GW2? & Heroes of the Storm?

Oh! Is it a franchise eatery?

4. Turkey says:

Those are some Guy Davis looking vampires.

• Lunsku says:

Guy Davis and his Marquis comics has been my first association from the Darkest Dungeons look in general, particularly so with this promo image with the monochome look.

• EnragedPixel says:

Really? For me it’s always been Mignola, through and through.

• Lunsku says:

Probably because I’ve read very very little Mike Mignola’s stuff.

• Buzko says:

@Lunsku, EnragedPixel, I always thought Davis was a pseudonym for Mignola anyway, to make it look like BPRD etc were more of a team effort (and/or so he could play with a slightly different art style). Today I Learned.

5. King in Winter says:

Well, considering the thematics of existing classes, I’m leaning towards the new class being a pest exterminator rather than a hematophage.

6. TΛPETRVE says:

Welcome to Cainhurst.

7. GeoX says:

Mosquito vampire women? China Mieville’s The Scar seems apposite.

8. Drinking with Skeletons says:

I hope that they dial the difficulty of the game back a little with this DLC. I get that it’s supposed to be hard, but it’s hard because it handicaps you to hell and back and failure has the capacity to undo enormous amounts of progress, leading to way too much time spent grinding.

Games like XCOM or Dark Souls don’t feel like they are intentionally wasting your time.

• Disgruntled Goat says:

Agreed. Darkest Dungeon gets a lot right, such as the terrific art style and mood, but it equates “difficulty” with “extreme, brutal randomness”.

teije says:

Yes please. Difficulty options would greatly increase my enjoyment of this lovely game.

• Sushewakka says:

Not only they have already added two different difficulty adjustments (the corpses and town events toggles), but the Torch mechanics themselves are already the game’s in built difficulty slider.

As for “I quit playing forever when my level 6 vestal was critted twice and killed before she even got her first turn in a combat.”

Then you hadn’t the right trinkets on her.

9. Kitsunin says:

Oooh, that’s clever as hell. Vampires are conceptually great, but too cliched to really make an impact any more. Mosquitos on the other hand are still nice and creepy. In my mind, at least.

10. Saul says:

Getting attached to your character was your first mistake. Let their corpses pile high and surrender to the grind! The grind, the grind, the glorious grind! This is the first and only game where I have truly loved the grind. Each delve is ever perched on the precipice of destruction. Take what risks you must, but know that the deck is ever stacked in the house’s favour. It’s poker in a dungeon crawler, and I couldn’t adore it more.

Comment on this story