Go Home, Lara, You’re Pointy: Tomb Raider DLC Out Now

A splurdge of DLC for Rise of the Tomb Raider [official site] has just come out, which means you can now pop back to a decrepit Croft Manor, team up for co-op wilderness endurance, or battle the tough ‘Extreme Survivor’ difficulty mode. But most importantly, you can now control famous archaeologist and murderer Lara Croft the way she was meant to be played – as a conglomeration of poorly-rendered triangles. Yes, Pointy Lara is back. She is as terrifying as always.

Let’s run through the substantial stuff first. The new-old Croft Manor can be revisited in one of two modes. ‘Blood Ties’ is a new snippet of story which sees you rummaging in the attic for proof that your pater really did leave the mansion to you and not your uncle, who is a liar. ‘Lara’s Nightmare’, on the other hand, is the obligatory zombie mode, in which you have to fight off an evil presence haunting the old estate. They’re both included in the season pass but also in a new ‘20 Year Celebration’ edition of the game, which costs $60 but also comes with all the rest of the previous DLC, like the creepy Baba Yaga episode in which Lara gets blitzed and hallucinates giant houses on fire with legs.

The co-op Endurance mode is also in there. This lets you team up with a pal to survive, battling the environment during the day and bad things at night. When Alec played the lonely version of this he thought it was the best bit of the new Tomb Raider yet. But if you hate humans, the ‘Extreme Survivor’ difficulty mode will spice up single player for you. This will “severely limit your save points, crafting materials, resources, ammunition, and health”, according to the update notes.

Season pass holders are the real beneficiaries here, getting all this guff and more, including packs of new weapons and items, as well as the old-fashioned model of Lara shown above and four other ‘classic’ Lara Croft skins. That’s funny because usually Lara is the one doing the skinning. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Because she’s a bonafide psychopath.

From this site

1. gabrielonuris says:

In the land of mods this skin would be simply a good old mod made by the community. But I’m just a grumpy old gamer, what do I know.

• YogSo says:

No, she’s wearing too much clothing for that to be a fan mod. :-p

ffordesoon says:

Truth. Also, you would have to page through eighty mods that turn Lara into a character from Star Wars, Naruto, or Final Fantasy. And then eighty more mods purporting to make Lara look “correct” (read: bigger boobs, more idealized and male-gaze-y).

I love mods, but the democratic nature of mod distribution is definitely a double-edged sword.

2. Distec says:

Lara with pointy tits was the best one, what are you on about.

I’m not even joking.

• YogSo says:

And considering that the model shown here is probably the one used in Tomb Raider 2 or 3, that’s not even the pointiest she’s ever been. Remember the original Lara? (trigger warning for the young ones: link shows graphics from a 1996 game developed for PlayStation 1, Sega Saturn and MS-DOS).

• grimdanfango says:

Interesting – sure the polygon budget and glorious gouraud shading model look a little rough, but I’m surprised by the fact that I still see some games to this day turn up with shoddier texture resolution – it’s surprisingly crisp for its time.

• Feeesh says:

The game didn’t look that sharp originally. It’s definitely the 3dfx version of the game, possibly with higher resolution textures added in. I had it for DOS and it didn’t look anything like that for me at the time.

• Kingseeker Camargo says:

I might even say it’s probably the model from Tomb Raider 4. By the time TR3 came out, that bone-joint skinning technique to simulate elbows and knees still didn’t exist. When TR1~3 Lara climbed up a ledge her body was terrifyingly split in half at the waist for a second.

Mandatory Edit Because Now I Can: Huh, I just checked some screens and she wasn’t nearly as pointy in TR4, so I stand corrected. I guess it’s a revamped version of one of the early three games.

• lieberstrack says:

Looks like Meche from Grim Fandango!

• IEatCereal says:

I got excited when I saw the head and ended up being disappointed when I saw just how normal her tits are. Two of my best friends used to think that pointy titted version was “hot”. Whenever I think about it I can’t stop laughing XD

• Xzi says:

At least she knew that she could slice a man open even when unarmed. Ultimate survival tools.

• Otterley says:

Replaced the ‘kiss of death’ with the ‘hug of death’ ^^

3. Kingseeker Camargo says:

People who played this Tomb Raider, help me out: How viable is to go through the game with just the bare basic weapons (say bow and arrows, a pickaxe, and such)?

I liked the previous one (did it have a subtitle?) pretty fine until it started deploying all kinds of military hardware, and making it so that I was forced to use it because late game commandos in large numbers didn’t give a toss about arrows.

I know the TR series has always had that same stupid weapon progression of every shooter and their mother, down to the rocket launchers and such; but for a second I had expected the reboot to be more… I don’t know… “believable” in that aspect, if that makes any sense.

• Von Uber says:

More than viable with the bow, it’s my favourite weapon (although the pump action shotgun is very satisfying).

Some enemies require one or two arrows on occasion but the bow(s) upgrade nicely so don’t feel obsolete. With the right skills you can have a serious fire rate with a few of them.

• Kingseeker Camargo says:

Thanks for this. I remember really enjoying the first-not-really-the-first game when it was all about sneaking around and using bow and pickaxe.

• Zenicetus says:

I used mostly the bow, occasionally the shotgun for fights in close quarters, or on a few of the high-HP enemy types like bears. There are increasingly better versions of all weapons as you progress, and then you can upgrade them in several ways.

The bow is very satisfying to use. You need it anyway for doing all the magic trick shots with ropes to solve puzzles or shoot “climbing arrows” later in the game.

4. Vedharta says:

Pointy mess of triangles? I Do hope you meant to say Quadrilaterals!

• Rich says:

Nope. Three vertices and three edges.

• Jekhar says:

Segata Sanshiro!

• ThePuzzler says:

There’s no such thing as quadrilaterals! If you think you saw one, how can you be sure it wasn’t just two triangles stuck together?

• Dinges says:

“The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist.”

Same for quadrilaterals

• fish99 says:

At their lowest level video cards can only render triangles.

5. TheSplund says:

“‘20 Year Celebration’ edition of the game” well that’s xmas sorted when the GOTY appears in the (Steam) sale for around £17

6. DuncUK says:

The Alone in The Dark remake should totally have done the same with the original models.

link to 1.bp.blogspot.com

• April March says:

*nods vigorously*

• Kingseeker Camargo says:

I didn’t even know there was a remake in the works! Apparently it’s been cancelled, though.

Man, that zombie dog. I can’t believe that passed for a horror creature at some point. And it did work too, as far as I can remember.

7. SuicideKing says:

I wonder if they spend more polygons rendering the impression of less polygons.