Space MMO Dual Universe Hits Kickstarter Goal

Novaquark’s Dual Universe [official site] this week ended its Kickstarter campaign having passed its goal of €500k, so now it’s time for the company to put up or shut up. The sandbox space MMO is touting some pretty lofty goals, so hopefully they’ll deliver… after asking for more money, anyway.

Novaquark will take the cash they got from the completed Kickstarter to create an open-world space game with “millions” of different planets to explore, ships to construct and fly around the universe, and other various things you’d expect to do in space. Hopefully. But I’m not completely sold on it just yet. These all sound like fantastic, flowery promises and prototype videos do look promising, but there’s a long way between those and a finished game.

It’s also meant to feature a world made completely by the players, with a voxel-based universe that supposedly has no limit in size, but can it actually happen? One of the reasons I was attracted to games like EVE Online in the first place was the promise of being able to explore space at my leisure. But I’m not sure we’ve really gotten to a point just yet where it’s going to be feasible to see the things Dual Universe has promised. It’s interesting, to be sure, and I’m absolutely open to the idea that I can make it “my journey,” as it were. But it’s going to take a lot before I’m fully convinced.

The company is still accepting funds, too, and is opening a crowdfunding page apart from Kickstarter that you can make donations to if you so desire, so the former Kickstarter stretch goals can possibly be met. We’ll have to see if this works out for Novaquark, but I’m remaining cautiously optimistic.

Here’s the pitch video that helped Novaquark reach this point:

From this site

honcho66 says:

Star Citizen 2 ?? :P

2. Wednesday says:

“Dual Universe” ?

That really the name they’re going to go with? Hardly conjures up the infinite vastness of the cosmos, does it?

3. Don Reba says:

The marketing budget alone should be larger than that for an MMO.

• Shuck says:

They’re apparently making a system-based game rather than the traditional MMO that has a bunch of expensive content – sort of a less ambitious but multiplayer version of “No Man’s Sky.” Still, that’s not very much money, especially for a 20+ person team. The rule of thumb for games is that Kickstarter can raise 10-25% of the necessary funds, and they don’t seem to say anything about outside funding. So I suppose it’s the usual opacity about where the money is really coming from, assuming they have any.

• drinniol says:

This game is decidedly more ambitious than NMS, though.

zapatapon says:

They must have a source of substantial outer funding, given the company has existed and been actively developing the prototype for 1-2 years.

The NQ head has been explicitly saying that one goal of the kickstarter was to obtain more leverage/creative freedom in negotiations with outer investors, but unsurprinsingly, remained quite tight-lipped on the topic
        ( Link to official FAQ/AMA ).

4. CartonofMilk says:

i’m tired of putting my hopes in different space sim games that may never get finished. I mean i know this one is pretty new but just saying… Space engineers, Empyrion, Star Citizen, hell even Elite Dangerous is not really finished per se.

Most of my hopes are pinned on Dual Universe and Planet Nomads right now. Because as much as i love space sims, Space engineers taught me what i REALLY REALLY want is a space sim plus minecraft. Problem with SE is there’s no game in it. It’s just crafting. So please PN and DU, be the games i’ve been waiting for all my life. Not too much pressure i hope.

5. LewdPenguin says:

Hmm so its Space Engineers meets EVE, which on the surface is a pretty attractive pitch. But if they truly plan ongoing with 1 universe for all players as suggested then I look forward to them smashing their heads into a wall of server performance nightmares. EVE has pretty much given up on large scale performance now, but still requires a huge amount of OOOMPF to run Tranquility, and whilst CCP have admitted they’re heavily hamstrung these days in their choice of python, the actual moment to moment gameplay of EVE is also insanely simple compared to what DU looks like promising.
    I would love to see them pull it off, but I foresee either an Elite fudge of ‘one universe’ where gameplay actually takes place on many tiny shards, or them turning round and saying they never explicitly promised it at all, and that’s ignoring all the other many many design pitfalls that lurk in the path of any neat concept MMO in the making.

zapatapon says:

They built their pitch very heavily on the “one shard shared universe” point, so turning around would certainly put them in hot water.

6. TheAngriestHobo says:

We have learned nothing.

7. greenmurphy says:

SO indie dev takes money for a space game to be developed in the future on the back of a ball of grandiose promises that could have been cribbed from the omissions from NMS?

500,000 so far but “still accepting funds”

What could possibly go wrong? All aboard the hype train – calling at all stations to embittered Reddit forum.

Comment on this story