To The Moon Sequel Finding Paradise Due Summer 2017

To the Moon follow-up Finding Paradise [official site] will launch in summer 2017, creator Kan Gao now says. He was a bit hazy on that when he announced the tearjerk ’em up earlier this year, unsure whether it’d launch this year or next. He’s seemed set on summer 2017 for a while but hey, I’ve only just noticed so you likely haven’t either.

In these uncertain times I can’t say for certain what will drive the social currency of 2017 – the vibrancy of your Union Jack jacket, perhaps, or how many teeth you’ve ripped from the jaws of foes. But maybe it’ll be a return to the simpler time of 2011, when the coolest kids were those who cried most at To the Moon.

“I was crying in the first scene,” your mate boasted.

“I was weeping by the title screen,” another shouted over them. They leaned back, confident in their one-upmanship.

“I cried this entire bucket of tears while playing,” another added, whipping out their phone to show snaps of a grotty cement bucket filled with indeterminate cloudy fluid.

“That’s nothing. Check this: I wept an entire bathtub,” a fourth piped up. You bit your tongue and didn’t question the rich bubblebath.

To the Moon and Finding Paradise, to briefly recap, are about scientists who fiddle with the memories of dying people. They visit them on their deathbeds, rewriting their lives to correct mistakes and missed opportunities so they can die without regret. Bless.

Our John flipping adored To the Moon, though he really disliked the side-tale A Bird Story before gushing over To the Moon’s second ‘minisode’. Me? Mate, I haven’t played any of them. I’m more into, idk, pretending I’m so cool and collected by forcing an emotional distance which transforms anything that might potentially draw tears into A SOURCE OF TERROR. That’s what cool kids do.

Finding Paradise is coming in summer 2017 to basically any Windows, Mac, or Linux computer built this millennium. Kan Gao has floated a summer release window before but now it’s on a Steam page so it must be true.

From this site

1. Zekiel says:

Hmmm. To The Moon was a game I mostly liked at the time and then got annoyed at in retrospect – when I realised that (a) the central concept seems really creepy (in a way that goes unexamined in-game) and (b) the actual game bits of its aren’t very good. It feels like it would be better as an animated movie.

• gunny1993 says:

Not sure I agree with (A), depending on what you mean by “central concept”, if you mean “fucking with people memories n such” I don’t think it was the central concept of the game, merely the framing device (Although it would be an amazing concept to explore, and i’m hoping they explore it)

Generally agree with B, get Pixar to make an animated version fo this an it would be amazing.

• Zekiel says:

Yeah, I mean the idea that its justified to completely and utterly remove someone’s memories of their entire decades’-long marriage and replace it with a flowers-and-puppies utopian fantasy instead. Granted, the game justifies this as only ever happening to people just before they die, but it still seems pretty stark.

I am perhaps being harsh. It definitely raises some interesting questions about memory and truth, not unlike the film Memento. Its just I’d really like the game to have engaged with those questions, and I don’t recall it doing so. (Maybe this sequel will?)

• gunny1993 says:

Yeah the first one didn’t really engage with those questions much, but I also don’t think those were a major part of the story that was being told and I don’t think any quality was lost because of it, likely the game would have become bloated if they focused on it.

One of the minisodes had a lot of hinting about protestors outside the companies headquaters and the characters talking about it, so i’m really hoping this next one will be focusing on those aspects.

The way I see it was that 1 was an application of the technology and I want 2 to be a discussion of the technology itself.

• James0 says:

It seemed to me like the game did encourage you to think about the morality of what they were doing. There was the massive argument between the two scientists about whether they should still go through with the patient’s wishes even though it seemed pretty clear to them that he would change his mind if he knew what they knew. And the “minisodes” went further – they showed us a protest at the company’s offices, and seemed to suggest that a certain character was involved in something dodgy.

The protagonists clearly had a settled view that giving people fake memories so that they could die happy was a good thing in general, but then what would you expect from people who had signed up to do exactly that as a full-time job?

I agree that the interactive aspects were a little underwhelming. It might have worked better if the memories were larger and more detailed, giving you opportunities to go off and explore, and find things out about the characters that weren’t part of the central plot (kind of like Gone Home). But then given how much of the plot was based around giving extra significance to earlier scenes by showing you the history behind them, maybe it had to be very focused and linear.

2. gunny1993 says:

I still tear up whenever I hear “For River” playing, suck on that.

• Maxheadroom says:

Ditto
      which is why im not sure I even want to play a sequel.
      The odds of lightning striking twice like that seem remote (Im sure I posed a similar comment when Bird Story was first announced).

Its like making a sequel to ET or 12 Angry Men. Some classics are perhaps best left alone

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Alice is so cool I am still not convinced she isn’t a sentient leather jacket.

4. charlesg says:

I always thought it was odd the game tried very hard not to mention the word “Asperger’s Syndrome” yet dropped so many obvious hints (e.g. the book by Tony Attwood) that there was not a single doubt what it was they were referring to.

5. jezcentral says:

I got burned by A Bird Story. Plus some things rankled in To The Moon.

(spoilers ahead)

It seems they were trying to intimate the person who died wasn’t the person who died, and then chickened out. And a story about memories being fiddled with and death that begins with a car crash, and ends with the sky turning a funny colour? Yup, someone’s dead, and it’s not the old man.

Comment on this story