Torment: Tides of Numenera release date announced

When you receive a ‘Great Horses of the Isle of Wight 2017’ calendar from your uncle this holiday season, tear it open, flip to February, break out your spiffy new glitter gel pens, and write “NEW TORMENT!!!” on February 28th. That’s the newly-announced release date for Torment: Tides of Numenera [official site], inXile’s “spiritual successor” to the venerable Planescape: Torment. That means a weird fantasy-ish setting with mish-mash of worlds and a focus on words over weapons, all of which makes it one of Cobbo’s most-anticipated RPGs of 2017.

Torment: Tides of Numenera, to be clear, isn’t a sequel to Planescape: Torment but it’s likely as close as we’ll get to that nebulous idea. While Black Isle’s 1999 RPG was based on the Dungeons & Dragons setting of Planescape, inXile’s new Torment uses the setting and rules of Monte Cook’s Numenera (it’s set in Earth’s far future, where leftovers from a billion years of civilizations rising and falling have left things all a bit weird and technomagical). And while some Planescape folks are chipping in, with director Chris Avellone consulting and writing a little a composer Mark Morgan providing tunes, it’s mostly made by different folks. But inXile are heavily influenced by PST, have gathered blessings from PST folks, and it’s all looking pleasingly PST-ish.

Torment has been on Steam Early Access since January but why would you ruin your first experience with an incomplete game? Tush and fie! You can read what Cobbo made of it back then but, obviously, the game has come a way over the year.

In the spirit of digging up artifacts from confusing lost worlds, you will even be able to get Torment: Tides of Numenera on something called a ‘disc’:

From this site

1. Kaeoschassis says:

Not going to lie, I’m now a tiny bit sad that I probably won’t get that calendar. In my mind’s eye it is a beautiful gift.

2. mercyRPG says:

Finally a game that deserves all praises and my wallet. Congratulations to the developer for this gem!

3. Eleven says:

I wasn’t planning on playing the beta, but impatience got the better of me, and I’m kind of glad it did. At least for the short opening sequence that the demo covers, it’s successfully captured the spirit of Planescape: Torment by being as good as you remember rather than how it actually was. A bit less clunky, a bit more attention to detail, and just as weirdly imaginative.

Don Reba says:

I concur. The beta is very good. Looking forward to the full game.

4. LennyLeonardo says:

I write “new torment” under every day of the calendar. Except the first Sunday of the month, which is when I have my newt tournament.

5. kud13 says:

Neat. I’ll have to make sure I don’t start any sprawling games in February, then.

6. KillahMate says:

For anyone interested in the game and wanting to check out the original it’s spiritual-sequeling: the obligatory Planescape Torment patching/modding guide that I obsessively link to in any discussion even vaguely concerning PST!
    link to thunderpeel2001.blogspot.com

This will help you easily and cleanly drag the original Planescape Torment into the modern era, including arbitrary resolutions, widescreen, UI mods, ZERO bugs, dialogue corrections, optional restored quest content (not fanfics, but original quests lost due to bugs and budget cuts), optional playability tweaks… This is highly recommended, Planescape was a lot more buggy than people remember. Plus the artwork looks amazing in 1080p. There is no reason you should ever play the game without this!

Of course the game itself is available for a very fair price and DRM-free on GOG:
    link to gog.com

• Retrofrank says:

The original was, without a doubt, one of the most amazing games, I´ve ever experienced. I don´t say “one of the most amazing RPGs” because it does so many things so much different, than most of the other RPGs do, but it´s world- and charakter building is incredible and unique.
      Pondering on philisophical concepts mixed with a deep look into not only who, but what kind of person you and the characters you met and influenced are spiced up with dark humor sometimes. I really hope Numera lives up to the legacy of this exeptional gem.

• pillot says:

When I bought the GOG dnd pack and played through most of the games in it, i started with PST. It made it so disappointing when i found that the BG and IWD games didn’t have UI mods as good as PST’s. The one to adjust text size is just fantastic.

• MasterPrudent says:

I played the gog version without modding it and the only issue I experience was occasional crashes to the desktop.

• KillahMate says:

Sure – the game wasn’t broken, and works fine as-is. It can just be made to be so much more pleasant to experience, without compromising its essence in any way. That’s what the mods do.

7. Captain Yesterday says:

I’m cautiously optimistic. I ultimately found Wasteland 2 to be something of a disappointment. It was a little too old school for my tastes.

Some game conventions, such as the party of characters that are nothing more than mute weapon platforms, were abandoned for a reason.

Shouldn’t be a problem, as I seriously doubt anyone would could claim to create the spiritual successor of the talkiest rpg ever made and have a collection of personality- free ciphers in the middle of it. However I remain concerned that inXile does old school for the sake of old school, bringing back game mechanics and concepts that people were sick of in 1997 and trying to make them work today.

• Simbosan says:

Amen to that, currently slogging through pillars of eternity and it’s truly tedious combat. Not sure why I’m still playing it.

I’m pleased that they agreed to release on my birthday!

• Someoldguy says:

Party based combat has its flaws, but for some of us it is far preferable to the realtime clickathon combat that replaced it when all RPGs suddenly had to be like Diablo and Dungeon Siege, or later vesions where suddenly it became the players responsibility to be able to block, dodge and parry rather than the avatar. Praise the deity of your choice that the inception of Kickstarter allows us to back the projects of our choice and RPGs of all stripes are suddenly available again, rather than all of us having to either play the two RPGs offered this year (both faithfully copying whatever the most recent blockbuster is, so probably first person twitchy Witchery/Dark Soulsy) or waiting in silence to see if next year will offer more of the same or something different. Much as I love Jeff Vogel’s games, it’s nice to play some old-school inspired stuff with a significantly larger production budget.

syllopsium says:

So glad to hear the beta does not suck, I was worried during some of the older progress updates.

PS:T was awesome, but I agree the interface was rather fiddly even if they had little choice running the game at 640×480