Mass Effect Andromeda gets a release date (it’s March)

Lovers of intergalactic dating sim Mass Effect will be happy to learn that the newest game in the franchise, Mass Effect Andromeda [official site], will be coming out this spring. The United Statespeople will see it first on March 21, with Europeanfolk getting their alien booty call on March 23, according to an official statement from BioWare’s Aaryn Flynn. Isn’t life splendid?

“We appreciate your patience,” said Flynn, “(and in fact, even your lack of patience in some instances) as we’ve been focused on completing the game.”

Alice has already done a good job of rounding up the things we know about the new (mis)adventure so far. The most important thing to note is that the old Renegade vs Paragon morality system has been shooed away and replaced by something BioWare says is more “nuanced”. There are now a thumbless handful of responses your character can have: heart, head, casual or professional. The class system likewise has been scuppered, letting players now pick and choose perks and abilities more freely.

Story-wise, you’ll be playing as either boy Ryder or girl Ryder, who are brother and sister. My money is on the unchosen sibling dying in the opening hours, galvanising your surviving Ryder into the maverick spacekiller we will all learn to love. Will it be that simple? I guess we’ll find out in a few months.

1. Micky Nozawa says:

Please don’t suck.

• Ghostwise says:

Well, if you don’t even buy me dinner…

• Grover says:

The animations and writing in that little office scene in the trailer were bad.

Grabbing the point blank pistol aimed at her head with two armed guards pointing guns at her back and then aiming the gun at the leader all without any other character moving to stop her – that was silly.

Some movie trailers are made before all the CGI is complete, so maybe it was just early stuff that wasn’t polished yet.

But I’m a big fan of the series so I have hope.

2. Disgruntled Goat says:

Why am I not excited about this game?

I played through the first trilogy twice. The ending wasn’t great, but it wasn’t THAT bad, it didn’t spoil the 120 hours of awesomeness that preceded it. (The endless morass of neckbeard whining about the ending was far worse.) The ME3 multi-player was fun. I even loved Dragon Age: Inquisition and played it to death.

So why am I all, “Meh, I’ll wait for a sale” on Andromeda?

• Pich says:

IMO it’s because it’s more of the same in the most blatant form. We’re in a new and incredibly far away location never explored before but so far we have seen only ONE alien race (that still look like funny faced humans), and all the old races but the weirder ones are back (why the hell are the Krogan here if their balls still don’t work?). Also we still can only play a human which is just boring imo.

• Disgruntled Goat says:

Totally with you on the human thing.

I understand the budgetary reasons for limiting players to human, but in this vast universe full of cool and varied alien species, I’m disappointingly stuck playing yet another human Blandy McHero.

• Booker says:

That’s what was so awesome about the multiplayer. You could play as all these cool aliens.

• brucethemoose says:

Yeah. You could even play as a geth juggernaut, a volus, or even a ex-collector.

The human classes were better than singleplayer too. You had the ex Cerberus biotic, the mercenary and those 2 goddamn space ninjas, among many others.

• Grover says:

I remember Mordin telling me that the Collectors were heavily genetically modified drones and could not be saved. I played ME3 multiplayer but didn’t know about the DLC redeemed Collector character. Interesting.

• Konservenknilch says:

I’m not terribly hyped either, simply because I feel that the original trilogy already gave me all the ME I need. Not everything needs to be an endless series. We’ll see.

• Sargonite says:

For me personally:

1) This seems to be more of an offshoot than a sequel, where the original series’ events aren’t really relevant, which kind of undermines my connection to that series; and

2) Knowing that the narrative techniques in the game will probably just be more of the same choose-your-own-adventure mechanics as last time, and that the combat probably won’t hold my interest. Narrative is arguably Bioware’s strongpoint, but I don’t feel like they’re pushing their narrative systems forward in any way, so my interest has waned (same goes for Telltale games, for me).

• HopeHubris says:

I like the way they do narrative though, even if it doesn’t change, it does feel like they’re going to fill it with useless sloggy bits though, DA:I had so much pointless fighting and wandering, when I just wanted to get back to the talking

• Uhuru N'Uru says:

So why did you do it, you can ignore all of it, and only go to the main mission locations. Using requititions to get the extra points required. On PC a mod allows you to get the requisition specific components, another gives tier 4 crafting, but neither are required, when you know where to get the unique ones for your chosen specialty.

Unless you want a specific companion, they can also be ignored.

Indeed you can ignore most combat, if you choose, and simply run past them. Like in the Well of Sorrows Mission, only Samson’s group must be fought.

• Wulfram says:

Possibly because you listen to people in communities like this one, where Bioware is a preferred whipping boy.

Though waiting until a sale is pretty much always a sensible thing to do, unless you really want to get involved in the post-release conversations/arguments.

3. vorador says:

Will wait for reviews, fingers crossed. But i’ve more or less liked what i’ve seen.

4. Suits says:

Europe 2 days late.. the fuck?

• aepervius says:

It is all those ocean. The bits and bytes need to cross it while paddling all the way.

On a more serious note : in spite of the spoiler risk, I don’t mind having two days worth of feedback and review more than first time buyer : it will give us a bit more info to decide if we buy… Or not.

• Ross Angus says:

Indeed. Brendy: would you mind adding a “no oceans” tag?

5. Zenicetus says:

I’ll wait for reviews. It’s a type of game I should like, and I enjoyed the first three well enough. But the trailers have too many of the old aliens, way too many humans, and the same look in corridors and architectural design. Same basic gunplay too.

At first glance, it looks like a huge wasted opportunity to give the player a truly different alien setting. But I’ll wait to hear more about it. Maybe it’s not as boring and recycled as it looks in the trailers.

6. ainokmw says:

Mass Effect 1 is one of my all time favorite games. But I’m highly skeptical about ME:A, mostly because of Mac Walters. He was ME’s worst writer and his influence only grew over the course of the series. Now that he’s the Creative Director I fear the worst.

The fact that the trailers have shown only already-known races is a huge mark against it. I’ll wait for trusted reviews before I buy this.

• ArbiterLibera says:

I think anyone sane is skeptical of Bioware at this point.

• Lieutenant_Scrotes says:

That’s actually the first bit of information that has tempered my hype for ME:A.

I feel that the quality of Mass Effect’s narrative decreased with each sequel; while the first Sovereign dialogue/encounter in the original Mass Effect is one of my most memorable gaming experiences.

It gave my young mind a momentary feeling of cosmic horror that I’ve never experienced in any comparable way expect when fully immersed in a Lovercraft novella.

• Booker says:

“while the first Sovereign dialogue/encounter in the original Mass Effect is one of my most memorable gaming experiences.”

That’s true, they never reached that again.

7. Wachepti says:

“My money is on the unchosen sibling dying in the opening hours”

Nah, they already tried that and it sucked. I bet your sibling will end up working for the villain.

8. KastaRules says:

Is it possible to know if the PC release will be Origin only?

• Rindan says:

It is a pretty safe bet.

• Booker says:

Of course! All EA games are Origin-only on PC.

• Caiman says:

It’s so long since I used Origin (and played an EA game) that I’ve forgotten all about it! I think the last one was Mass Effect 3.

• KastaRules says:

Thanks, I figured so but I still had some hope since ME1 and ME2 can be purchased on Steam. Aren’t they published by EA as well?

I think I am gonna skip this one then, I am *not* very fond of Origin.

9. int says:

I just hope it’s not about saving the whole goddamn universe again.

• Disgruntled Goat says:

Bioware tried to do something different with Dragon Age 2 and all people did was bitch and moan. I’m sure they’re reluctant to get their hand slapped again.

So get yer universe-savin’ boots on!

• Booker says:

“Bioware tried to do something different with Dragon Age 2 and all people did was bitch and moan. ”

But the main reason people bitched and moaned about DA2 was that they recycled all the dungeons and you were always in like maybe 3-4 caves for the entire game. :D If they wouldn’t have done stuff like that, DA2 could have been totally awesome.
        They didn’t copy/paste in the DLC btw and both DLC packages for DA2 are pretty good.

• ooshp says:

I certainly wasn’t either bitching or moaning. The familial/political writing of DA2 was amazing, unfortunately overshadowed by the horrific and lazy asset recycling as that guy up there ^^^ pointed out. Oh, and the animated auto-attack combat that fooled all the people who hadn’t played it into thinking the combat was “dumbed down”.

But you’re correct I’m fairly sure, they won’t be writing anything like that again. I’m in a squeaky little minority that doesn’t believe banishing the evil arch-demon/dragon/necromancer into the Abyss of Eternal Imprisonment to save all free peoples of the land of Mediocratia is actually a gripping plot.

Some shitty dwarf killing my little sister? That actually makes me mad.

• A Wanderer says:

I completely agree with that. Dragon Age 2’s plot had one BIG problem, it’s the ending, which was basically “yeah, no matter what you do, Kirkwall is a very shitty place and will stay like that”. But the rest, all the rest, was pretty good ; especially because it’s in such focused stories that Bioware’s talent shines, i.e writing good characters. Without people like Leliana or Alistair, Origins would have been a disaster, story-wise. The plot of Dragon Age 2 felt a bit disconnected sometimes, but in fact it worked well, as the story was not about the world, it was not even about the city, it was about Hawke and the 15-odd years he/she spents in Kirkwall, slowly climbing the social ladder from poor refugee to city champion. Compared to Origins, Inquisition or even Mass Effect, it was brilliant.

There is a broader problem here, which is why don’t developpers abandon those overarching stories no one really cares about ? Mass Effect 2 was awesome because of the characters, their relationships, the places you visited but the overarching plot was awful. Take the overarching plot out from Skyrim and you don’t miss much. Either you take them out completely, and you have dragon age 2, or you make them interesting at least…but keeping it that way is just lazy.

• Coming Second says:

Because over-arching stories don’t just sell, they sell sequels. Perpetually, if need be. It’s that simple.

• Booker says:

Yeah, I’m so sick of that as well.

10. Slice says:

I share people’s low expectations about ME:A single player, but let’s be fair — ME3’s multiplayer was pretty fun. Let’s hope ME:A’s multiplayer is even better (and learns from the mistakes of DA:I’s multiplayer).

• brucethemoose says:

From the gameplay I’ve seen, I honestly don’t think it’ll be as tight.

There was just something about it… It was balanced on a knifes edge, and the combat was just so fluid and intense once you learned the ropes. The skill cap was insanely high, yet the same classes on the easier modes are still intense.

If it’s even half as good, I’ll be happy with my purchase.

11. montorsi says:

Haven’t they already said your sibling will be off doing similar things in other parts of the galaxy?

And yes, let’s hope the multiplayer is just as fun again this time around.

12. tonicer says:

It always amazes me how people hype about something like it’s sooo cool and just forget the shit companies did prior. That doesn’t only fit the Mass Effect context it fits almost everything … Apple fucked up and people still buy their shit … Facebook fucks up people still use it … consoles are getting worse and worse with each generation people still buy them … Windows gets crappier and crappier people still buy/use it …

I don’t want to live on this planet anymore.jpeg

• Sandepande says:

That’s because shit isn’t quite as shit as you think it is.

Bits are more shit, probably, but other bits are better.

And some of us don’t even like Dragons Age: Origins or Baldur’s Gate.

• A Wanderer says:

Dragon Age Origins is a modern reash of a game that wasn’t as good as anyone remember it was, i.e Baldur’s Gate. It’s a bit saved by the gameplay ; the world is a mess of tropes with a few good ideas here and there (the Chantry, the mages…), the overarching story is fucking awful, some characters are decent. It’s a very average game. Here, I said it.

13. snowsurfer says:

I mostly see release dates as +6 months in my mind, usually what it takes for proper 21:9 and SLI support, and a helpful 33% average discount…sooooo….September?!

• brucethemoose says:

You also have to wait for all the DLC that fleshes out the story. So maybe even longer.