XCOM Long War 2 is coming

Many people thought that the comprehensive and tough as nails Long War mod was the best thing to come out of XCOM: Enemy Unknown so the news that the team behind it would be producing mods for the sequel, in partnership with Firaxis. If only they were working on a full-blown Long War mod though for XCOM 2 [official site], wouldn’t that be something?

Well, they are. Intriguingly, the announcement comes from Firaxis rather than Pavonis, the team formerly known as Long War Studios. Whether that means this will be a super mod with in-house assistance or a full-fat expansion (the difference between those two things might be nothing more than a pricetag) we don’t know, though more info is due “in the coming weeks”.

Pavonis have already updated their website with a Long War 2 logo and haven’t removed info about their to-be-Kickstarted standalone game Terra Invicta. That’s an XCOM-y sort of thing, though the description suggests it’ll focus on diplomatic and political strategy rather than guns and psychics.

Terra Invicta is a grand strategy game in which the player leads the defense of Earth during an alien invasion.

An alien force has arrived in the far reaches of Solar System and begun probing Earth’s defenses and building an invasion fleet. The player must assemble a council of scientists, politicians, military leaders and operatives who can unite Earth’s squabbling nations with the ultimate goal of taking the fight to the aliens in the high ground of outer space.

My initial suspicion was that Long War 2 might replace Terra Invicta in the to-do pile, but that may not be the case. Whatever the case, I’m excited to see Long War 2. The original is absolutely superb, as Alec found when it caused Alec to lose himself in XCOM for the umpteenth time.

1. jonfitt says:

Very exciting. Everyone had presumed it was coming, but it’s good to finally hear that LW2 is underway.

2. Diziet Sma says:

Nothing wrong with it having a price tag either, the hard work deserves some renumeration.

• BTAxis says:

No price tag. The news post on the Pavonis website explicitly mentions “free mod”.

• Crane says:

“Renumeration” means to recount something.
      To pay for something, you mean “remuneration”.
      Common mistake.

• SaintAn says:

Mods having price tags is very wrong and would ruin PC gaming. I don’t think you really understand what you’re talking about. BUT if it were modders hired by a studio and worked with to make quality DLC/expansions it would be fine.

Grizzly says:

Flight simulators have had ‘paid mods’ for most of the genre’s lifetimes, and it has only boosted the genre.

• GHudston says:

Yeah, PC gaming would definitely be ruined if modders were paid for their hard work. It wouldn’t enable them to spend more time developing or attract other skilled creators to the scene at all! /s

• sosolidshoe says:

While nobody should be unhappy at the idea of talented people getting paid for their work…they’re not modders any more then, are they, they’re devs; nor are their works mods, they’re DLC.

Modding is pretty much the last bastion of the sharing/open source culture in gaming except for outright piracy, and if modders start seeing modding itself as a job for which they deserve to be paid rather than as part passion project, part community service, and part open job interview as it has been in the past we really are losing something that’s always been a really great part of PC gaming culture.

If modders want to throw up a donation button or a patreon page and ask for contributions from those who can afford it, cool, but the moment you paywall your content you’re not modding any more IMO.

• Osi says:

I don’t mind being paid for mods or not. I do care that if they are paid, the wealth is shared among all contributors fairly.
        As someone who has contributed to open source and game mods, I’ve been burnt by this several times and I’m not keen to go through that again.

Its like putting in sweat and tears for free so someone else can make bank.

• Coming Second says:

Firaxis actively commissioned LWS to turn out the mods they have for XCom2, so you don’t have to worry about them not receiving renumeration.

3. Horg says:

Based on how long their final mod was taking, i’ve suspected for some time that they were working on LW2. It’s one of those hopes you daren’t voice in case the developers hear you, realise they were supposed to be working on their own game, and promptly abandon the mod. Now it’s confirmed we can all breath easy. Trying to emulate Long War in XCOM2 by mashing together lots of smaller mods just isn’t the same.

• Coming Second says:

ABA2 and the Perk Pack together come pretty damn close to recapturing it tbf, at least on the tactical layer. I’ll be interested to see how they’re going to set about differentiating this mod from those.

• Relenzo says:

Don’t forget Grimy’s Loot Mod. Weapon attachments were really underdeveloped until that came out.

I had that, ABA, and a variety of the better custom classes installed last time I played. I was about to try the total conversion mod Spectrum too…so much modding talent came together on this game. Firaxis is really getting rewarded for those mod tools. Or…well, the players are, at least.

• Horg says:

The new geoscape is the area with the most untapped potential. I’ll be disappointed in LW2 if we don’t see something ambitious to overhaul the strategic layer.

• hujsh says:

Spectrum was looking like a good total conversion alternative to the myriad of smaller tweaks offered by other mods.

Unfortunately the developer announced he’s taking a break with the announcement of LW2 which is disappointing as I’ve been looking forward to the ‘Green’ version of Spectrum since at least mid 2016

• Relenzo says:

Oh, poor guy. He was really chugging on that thing. It must be awful to feel like a year’s work has been totally upstaged by the big boys coming back to the block.

4. NeutronSoup says:

Will they (or have they, perhaps?) fixed the bugs that kept breaking my ironman games? I had at least three games ruined because of enemies or allies falling through floors after grenade hits and into another dimension so they couldn’t be killed and I could never end the mission. Wasn’t planning on going back to it until they fixed that, but I haven’t seen a report of a fix for it.

5. Relenzo says:

OH SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP.

All aboard the hype train CHOO-CHOOOOO!

And on a side note, from the pitiful, rational corner of my cerebrum that still beats…***-******. That’s another 200 hours of my life.

6. Ivan says:

This is really exciting, as I did a pretty common XCOM EU –> XCOM EW –> multiyear hiatus –> LW (!!!) –> XCOM 2 –> thinking XCOM 2 was kinda meh after LW –> Back to LW (!!!) tour through the games.

I’m currently on my 20th game of LW, and have finally made it to November. It’s the second time that the campaign seems like it may end in victory for me — the first time was a few playthroughs ago where a save got corrupted, but I didn’t mind because I was taking a long break and didn’t feel immersed in it anyway. So I’m pretty pumped to potentially be able to finally say I finished a LW campaign successfully, and then hop right into LW2.

7. second_hand_virgin says:

Time trial missions with aliens spawning in every corner. Fun!