Obsidian are making a new game and/or trolling us

‘Project Louisiana’ is the name of oft-revered RPG studio Obsidian’s next game, they’ve revealed, along with a graphic implying farmlands and a quote about facing up to some grim reality. Now, last summer rumours flew that a ‘Fallout: New Orleans’ was in the offing, based on an unverified and subsequently removed European trademark registration.

A whole mess of people looked at Obsidian expectantly, given that they were behind – don’t mention the war – well-received Fallout 3 spin-off New Vegas. They all but shot down the idea – but now they’ve pointedly codenamed their new’un after New Orleans’ home state.

Farming, ‘Project Louisiana’ and talk of waking up to a world that God won’t save – sure sounds Fallouty, don’t it? But, let’s be clear here, it probably isn’t. They’re more than likely teasing us by deliberately giving something else a codename that will set tongues a-wagging.

The smarter money would be on this being the announcement of a sequel to their own-IP RPG, Pillars of Eternity, which Obisidan did confirm was in production last May, but stopped short of deeming that to be a Pillars 2 announcement. It does seem a little odd to conjure all this mystery around a game we already knew was happening, but hell, hype is hype.

Another option is a sequel to their other self-owned series, Tyranny, though this seems less likely given that game didn’t achieve anything like the impact of Pillars or Fallout NV. Which leaves yet another option – something brand new. That’s certainly what I’m most in favour of, but a horde of Pillars and Fallout fans say otherwise, ‘course.

If you need more and don’t mind it being totally made-up, Obsidian are hosting an official Project Louisiana forum, which is filled with all the breathless speculation and frightening meticulous analysis of the sole piece of released artwork that one might expect.

1. magogjack says:

It is so obvious that this is either Pillars 2, or a spin-off in the same world, that there is no reason to even suggest it could be Fallout. Alec is right, this is a weird approach to take.
    It is Eder that the tweet references.

• Someoldguy says:

Eder lost his deity and his personal story revolves around this – check
      Eder smokes a long handled pipe – check
      Eder is pictured chewing on a stalk of wheat – check

Seems blindingly obvious even without delving around in the background looking for coded messages.

I’d really like them to continue the story of Tyranny because it needs a follow up to be complete, but I’ll happily play any RPG that Obsidian produce. I’ll just moan at them for not finishing Tyranny while I do.

• RuySan says:

Eder gave us the Euro 2016 championship. Praise him!

• TomxJ says:

Definately a Eder Gaun/Eothas ref right there.

I am excited.

2. Ghostwise says:

I wonder who will be the first to make the “Half-Life 3 Confirmed !” “joke”.

What ? No, it doesn’t count.

3. Kem0sabe says:

Unlike RPS, rpgcodex actually bothered to understand the message instead of speculating…

Copy pasting from their news thread about this:

​”If you look carefully, you’ll see a spiral shape to the upper right of the Eder quote. That’s a Vailian letter A, according to the Vailian alphabet Josh Sawyer posted on Twitter and Instagram earlier this month. But wait, there’s more! A clever user on the Obsidian forums dug into the teaser page’s innards and found an additional seven symbols, presumably timed to be revealed over the next week. These symbols too are letters, some of which are from the Engwithan and Aumaua alphabets posted by Josh last year.

Together, these letters look like they’re meant to spell DEADFIRE, as in the Deadfire Archipelago, the hazardous island region to the south of the Dyrwood that has been strongly hinted to be the setting for Pillars of Eternity 2 over the past few months. It looks like we’re bound for a nautical adventure. Perhaps we’ll learn more in today’s Pillars of Eternity director’s commentary stream, and if not today, then in a week for sure.”

• magogjack says:

!!! Thanks for the news !!!

subdog says:

And posted with that classic RPGCodex charm!

• magogjack says:

Lol, yeah I read some comments under the referenced article and hoo boy, those are some…..people…..wow.

• Rizlar says:

Oh em gee, if they actually managed to pull off a shipboard adventure on the high seas it would be amazing. The book Over The Blood Dark Seas is still one of my favourite RPG experiences in any format, navigating a treacherous and mysterious sea, hopping from island to island, never sure of what you might find or when you might get becalmed, beached or blown off course. Sailors following siren calls into the deep. Pirates and island tribes and strange artifacts found in a locked chest on an isolated beach. All the busy ports, all the different cultures, all with that weirdly familiar pub/longhouse/straw hut where sailors sit around getting drunk.

From the Odyssey to Sunless Sea there is such a wealth of potential for seafaring adventure stories. And the mechanics of hopping between discrete locations, with possibilities for random encounters/diversions and a mobile, upgradeable base seem fantastically well suited to an RPG.

Unfortunately I expect it will be PoE with a parrot on it’s shoulder. : /

4. Jekadu says:

Chris Avellone has often mentioned that he would like to do a New Orleans-themed Fallout game. However, given that he is no longer with Obsidian and doesn’t seem likely to return, this may or may not mean anything.

I guess it could be something Tyranny-related — obviously Paradox have plans for the franchise. The art style of the teaser image is pretty much the polar opposite of Tyranny’s, though.

5. Heretic7 says:

I liked Tyranny more than Pillars. Tyranny’s sales I believe is a good indication of what they should expect from POE 2 without the Kickstarting hype and the nostalgia due to lack of Iso rpgs.

6. Infinitron says:

It’s Pillars of Eternity 2.

Benratha says:

Was really hoping for a farming simulator, too!

8. keefybabe says:

I’ve still not played through POE, but I need to.

Even though it won’t be a new Fallout, Obsidian are pretty much the only people I’d trust with that IP after what Fallout 4 turned into.

9. Rumpelstiltskin says:

I actually enjoyed tyranny a lot, also the game.

10. Hawke says:

I’d like to see a DLC for Tyranny, but it seems to be PoE2 teaser (Eder’s quote about Eothas, yes).

11. Jezebeau says:

They already did Fallout New Orleans. It was called Point Lookout.

• SaintAn says:

Point Lookout is just normal modern south Louisiana outside of the cities. A Louisiana Fallout where everything is twisted from mutation and madness would be heavily Lovecraftian and far more terrifying.

• NotGodot says:

Point Lookout was set in Southern Maine.

New Orleans wouldn’t have hillfolk, for instance.

• WikiUltimate says:

Not to nit-pick:

Far Harbor (fallout 4) is in Maine, Point Lookout (Fallout 3) is Maryland.

12. NotGodot says:

They didn’t ‘pointedly’ name it after Louisiana. When an Obsidian project enters pre-production, it’s given a code name. These code names are taken from a list of US States, sorted by the order in which they joined the union. For instance, Mask of the Betrayer was code named ‘Massachusetts’ and the cancelled Aliens: Crucible was code named ‘Connecticut.’

• Someoldguy says:

Nah, it’s all secret codes for those in the know. Aliens: Crucible was never goign to see the light of day, cut was already in the title…

• Stellar Duck says:

Good thing is, when the reach 50, they can start using state names in the order they turned traitors in 1860-61.

That gives at least 13 games more. If you count KY and MO. Which they desperately did, to my endless amusement.

13. vampire squid says:

It’s cool that they’re treating the reveal like they would a new Fallout, showing they appreciate that a lot of people have taken to the new IP.

And it’s a good teaser too. Having completed PoE, the implications are pretty big/hilarious. I’m excited :)

14. Zenicetus says:

Assuming that it’s PoE2 (like all the evidence above suggests), I hope they rethink the Rogue class and let stealth work a bit more like classic D&D so I can be a right sneaky bastard. While I managed to get comfortable with PoE’s odd approach to stealth, I still didn’t like it.

And please give us a few more likeable and interesting party members. Maybe it’s me, but I just couldn’t care that much about the personalities of the available companions in PoE, other than the crazy priest who was interesting.

Lars Westergren says:

Second image teased. First one was clearly Eder, this looks like Aloth.

link to twitter.com

16. Merus says:

Honestly I can’t imagine Obsidian wanting to deal with Bethesda’s bullshit again; Pillars of Eternity (and the South Park RPG, now I come to think of it) proved that Obsidian’s reputation for buggy but promising games was, as they said, mostly driven by the publishers getting cold feet.

17. Doctor Pandafaust says:

I really, really hope Tyranny becomes a sleeper hit. It captured my imagination much more than POE, which I also enjoyed, even if the combat was resoundingly meh. I have enjoyed pretty much everything Obsidian and will say outright that New Vegas was the Fallout 3 I had wanted,

18. thebwt says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if we start seeing overlapping biennial release cycles from Obsidian. Obsidian made it real clear in the commentary for PoE that they’re done being at other IP’s mercy, and the success of both games seems enough to satisfy their revenue.

My guess is they run two creative teams that utilize the same engine folks, so the production process allows them to be switch hitters as it were.