Cities: Skylines getting blimps in Mass Transit DLC

Blimps. They’re big, they’re full of hot air, they’re historically prone to crashing to earth in an unstoppable blaze. If you like blimps then we have good news for you. The physical manifestation humankind’s hubris can soon be added to your bustling metropolis in Cities: Skylines [official site] as part of the Mass Transit DLC pack, which is also adding ferries, monorails and cable cars. This is so that your commuters can get to work more efficiently. I don’t know what right-thinking member of the public would get the 7am zeppelin every morning, but the mayors of Cities: Skylines have never been ones to indulge sensible policies.

To drum up enthusiasm for the blimps, which commenters are bound to point out are nothing like the maligned zeppelins of the past but which I will reiterate are unfathomable deathtraps, Paradox and Colossal Order have made this wee trailer for you.

On top of the new modes of transport there will also be transit hubs, where your citizens can go from the ferry to the monorail, the bus to the blimp, the train to their own two wretched feet. There are also new scenarios based on “solving traffic problems” using new road types, bridges, canals and so on.

As usual, there’s also a patch coming to the vanilla game alongside the DLC’s release. This one allows you to finally name individual roads, adds an “extended public transport budget” and lets emergency vehicle overtake other cars. Had they not already been doing that? Please remind me to never visit any of your cities.

The DLC is “coming soon” say Paradox, sometime this year.

1. TillEulenspiegel says:

My favorite dumb idea is solar-powered electric blimps for transatlantic travel, when you need to get there but not particularly quickly. In reality a plain old ocean liner is probably a lot more efficient.

Metro blimps seem significantly less practical than that.

I liked Skylines, but all of the DLC seems pretty underwhelming. I guess this at least helps with designing larger cities.

• Smoof says:

I feel like a Blimp would be more efficient. Ocean liners tend to use a lot of fuel, since they need extremely powerful engines to push through all that friction. Seems as though the air is less of an impediment.

2. Drib says:

Blimps are absurd, but so is every highway interchange I put together out of gum and duct tape.

So screw it, have a fantastical nonsense town! Let’s go!

Cities: Skylines remains the game that filled the citybuilding genre after the latest SimCity was such a mess.

3. Kollega says:

I actually wonder if the blimps are somehow a dig towards 2013’s SimCity introducing them instead of metro lines.

4. bills6693 says:

If the ferries don’t make the appropriate sound signals in accordance with the IRPCS and instead just ‘toot’ randomly, I won’t buy. Also, they’d better drive around the rivers on the right no matter what the cars are set to!

Otherwise looks like a nice addition and might help alleviate some of the car mayhem – more with the monorail, transport hubs and new road types/behaviors than the blimps, ferries and cable cars but they’ll be fun too!

• LimEJET says:

I mean, have you seen the existing ship AI? I wouldn’t keep my hopes up.

RaveTurned says:

IIRC, Skylines’ ships have trouble just sticking to the water, let alone the right part of it. The more egregious cases of ships ploughing over stretches of land got patched out, but last I checked they could still scrape the front of their keels over the shoreline while turning on a dime out of the dock.

• Czrly says:

Sadly, I truly feel this sentiment. Blimps or zeppelins or whatever fantasy transport mode would be great – they add whimsy – but Skylines really, really needs a bit more of a “hard” ruleset to make the game more interesting than a curiosity to be set aside after an hour or two. It simply isn’t enough of a sim. Look at Dwarf Fortress: it’s pretty bonkers but the fact that it is still engaging is because all the systems follow rules and the rules create a framework to play in – you can’t just have whatever you want.

Perhaps I simply never struggled with any sort of a difficulty curve in Skylines. After about two false starts, my cities just worked and that was boring – I basically could make whatever I wanted after going AFK for long enough for the money to tick in. This was boring because the making was too easy and doubly boring because going AFK is boring. Sure, I could have made my designs a bit more efficient so I wouldn’t have to AFK for as long but I never really felt like the systems motivated that – after the first while, I’d have more cash than I could spend and before that point, there simply wasn’t enough to innovate – the only option was “more” = “faster money”

• ColonelFlanders says:

Get the difficulty tuning mod. It will kick your arse and there are a surprising numver of mods you can make to the mechanics, including demand, land value/education levelup requirements etc

EDIT: In fact, let me append (and this may not apply to you but i’m saying it anyway): play the game with mods. Seriously, the relistic population & consumption mod, rush hour, traffic manager and some I’m sure I’m missing are totally essential; I’m still clocking a shitload of hours on this game, especially with the natural disasters mod. With the dufficulty up, a nicely placed meteorite can do a quick job of roundly fucking you up quite easily.

• ludde says:

This, so much this. Sim City back in the day lasted a hell of a lot longer than Skylines did.

It just seems like such a missed opportunity, and every DLC has been a reminder of that. I get that there are mods, but I’m just not going to spend my time trying to fix the game myself – I want something more robust out of the gate.

5. 1nxbr32e1 says:

Minor nit-picking point. A Zeppelin is not a blimp. Zeppelins are rigid airships because they have a fixed internal structure to maintain their shape. Blimps do not and rely on gas pressure to maintain shape.

Rigid airships have a terrible safety record. Blimps do not.

• Stellar Duck says:

Due to a bored day at work and a couple of hours on Wikipedia, I’m somewhat embarrassed to admit I know the difference between the various sorts and also that the Goodyear blimp feet is both semi-rigid and blimpy.

I also discovered that there is actual news reel footage of the Hindenburg exploding. I always thought it was just photos.

• April March says:

You didn’t even know that famous footage existed? Oh, the humanity!

6. jeremyalexander says:

I don’t buy Paradox games anymore. Their DLC policy is insane and shouldn’t be rewarded. To get games like Crusaders Kings 2 and Cities Skylines with all of the DLC, even just the stuff that adds new gameplay elements, costs in the hundreds of dollars. There are way too many great games coming out, VR systems to buy, a new PC to save for, etc, to spend that kind of money on a game or two.

• ColonelFlanders says:

It all depends on how you look at it, and also how you value the time you spend with the game. No one is holding a gun to your head after all, and the games you mentiones were released in an arguably complete state, so more content is welcome. I love Cities:Skylines, and will continue to play it a hell of a lot longer, especially if they keep adding new content. Not only that but I’d far rather they keep releasing DLC for the same game rather than do a Sims and give you half the game you were already playing every few years after having paid for all that DLC.

• Superpat says:

While I agree that they keep the price too high after the initial release and so discourage people from buying the expansions, the situation feels really different when you’re buying as they come out, ck2 feels like an almost completely different game from when it came out.

They also have plenty of measures to make it easier to play without expansions. The two biggest would be the, generally, pretty large free patches and the fact that only the host of a multiplayer game needs the expansions in order for everyone to have them.

• Archonsod says:

Paradox are the only one’s doing DLC right as far as I’m concerned.

• badmothergamer says:

I agree. I love the way they do it. Release the base game at a lower price point to get people into it then release optional DLC. They include a lot of the new features in free patches so the DLC is usually only used to play a certain faction type.

I have over 1,500 hours in CK2 and own all the DLCs, but probably haven’t touched half of them since I stick primarily to western Europe.

7. Dogshevik says:

“There are also new scenarios based on “solving traffic problems” using new road types, bridges, canals and so on.”

Well, if these problems are still the result of an untouched traffic AI and its idiocy (kilometers of congestion on one lane, completely empty on the other) then no, thank you.

At this point I am just sceptic. So far the DLCs have added !!moar stuff!! instead of solving basic issues. This patch/DLC -might- (special emphasis, exclamation mark!) be the begin of a maturing process in that regard, but I don´t want to get too hyped. Dissapointment usually follows.

(Continued absence of a vanilla Precision Engineering Tool, I am looking at you!)