Stomp-o! Turok 2 remaster coming in March

It’s still weird to me that the company behind the revival and resumption of System Shock is also giving us re-releases of games like Turok 2: Seeds of Evil [official site] but hey, that’s the rich tapestry of the 1990s. Now Nightdive have announced that they’ll release the remaster of Iguana Entertainment’s 1997 shooter on March 16th. This is Turok 2 expanded and rebuilt in a new engine, which means that yes, the claustrophobic distance fog has lifted. See for yourself in this new trailer:

This release of Turok 2 is rebuilt inside Kex 3.4, an engine created by Samuel Villarreal. He now works for Nightdive but started unofficially porting Turok before they secured the rights. Villarreal’s other projects include Doom64 EX and work on the remastered Strife: Veteran Edition, also brought into Kex.

Say what you will about Turok 2 — that it was just okay but elevated by debuting on a console short of FPSs, that its platforming was terrible, that it’s mostly remembered for having the very most ’90s of guns — there’s no denying it had the very most ’90s of guns: the Cerebral Bore. Lock onto an enemy, fire, then watch a rocket-powered drill bore into their noggin, pump blood out their forehead, then explode. And though Turok 2 was just okay, ah, that awful whirring of the Bore still echoes in the back of my head, waiting to explode and get me out of this.

Turok 2 is coming via Steam, GOG, and the Humble Store on March 16th.

From this site

Mungrul says:

While not as good as the all-conquering multiplayer shenanigans of Goldeneye, this was still a top laff, mostly because of that there Cerebral Bore. It was a deliciously awful way to die and seemingly inescapable. Even better ‘cos we used to play it on a projector I’d bring home from work every weekend, so your gory doom would be smudged across the wall :)

2. Jalan says:

The wait finally nears its end!

3. G-Lord says:

Finally played the first remaster a few weeks ago. The framerate, the draw distance and the control tweaks are really transformative. Looking forward to 2, bounced off the original way back.

4. Dr. Raven Darktalon Blood says:

This is one of my childhood favorites, I played it again a few years back and was finally able to finish the game without cheats, I was never able to find that one damn key.
    There’s this underwater passage that I had overlooked for around 10 years :)
    The quality of the Turok 1 remaster makes me confident this one will play very well on modern systems too.

Trailer doesn’t really do it justice though.

5. Syrion says:

I’m really curious about this one. I loved the N64 original as a kid, but naturally never got past the second or third level and only played around with cheats like “all weapons” and “godmode”, which is hardly telling of the game’s quality. Recently watching parts of a Let’s Play made me realize it’s really not a great game, it actually looked downright terrible. But, maybe with a completely polished technical side, especially smooth controls, it might actually be a good game. Here’s hoping it holds up to my adult expectations, even without cheats!

[edit]
    Speaking of which, it’s kind of cool being able to relive all these N64-childhood-games on modern systems. The Turoks get remade, Rogue Squadron is re-released, GoldenEye and Perfect Dark can be played with perfect Keyboard&Mouse-controls in emulators, I can play Super Mario 64 on my phone while on the train… sheesh, modern technology.

• naetharu says:

I think taken in the spirit of the age it was a pretty awesome game. I loved it as a kid, and I think it captured just about everything that was (nerdy) cool about the late 90’s. Certainly a lot more fun than the original in my memory.

Not sure that its going to be a good game to play as an adult, but I think there is fun to be had here spending a couple of hours letting your inner 13-year-old out again.

6. KDR_11k says:

I still remember the preview articles in PC Games magazine claiming that Turok 2 only uses fog when it’s appropriate for the setting, not as a draw distance limiter…

I also remember the game for its two lines of weapon key binds because the number keys alone weren’t enough.

Really not fond of the Turok design style of mandatory secret items though. Here, fight your way through this linear level but if you didn’t find every hidden captured child then you lose and have to start it again. I remember the game being quite hard anyway so it was a tough fight to even reach the end of level 1, being told that it doesn’t count made me unwilling to play the game without cheats.

Fortunately I got both Turok games as part of magazine freebies or game bundles or something, either way I never bought them individually.

7. Plake says:

Even though Goldeneye was the best shooter on N64, i spent much more time on this classic, than 007 and Perfect Dark combined. FINALLY the wait is over =)

MajorLag says:

Man, what I remember most about Turok 2 was how bad it was. “Welcome to the next level, here is a list of things to find/destroy, this list has no plot relevance and is merely an arbitrary set of criteria to move to the next arbitrary set of criteria. Wait, we have a plot?”

I’m quite certain the only fun we had with the game was Co-oping the boss battles and playing Monkey-Tag with crossbows only. Why anyone would remake this is beyond me, but hey, here in the enlightened future we’ve given critical acclaim to a game about mopping, so why not.

9. manny says:

Turok 2 was the worst game I ever played, not because it was technically the worst but because i bought it cause it got a 100% score on game magazine reviews. The game was such a massive disappointment that I sold it to a guy on my street for $20 less than a weeklater (i bought it for $90) to teach myself a lesson to never believe the hype.

Comment on this story