The Elder Scrolls: Legends properly launches

It’s barely safe to move this week with all the virtual paper flying about. Free-to-play CCG Faeria, the mail-flinging Morning Post, and The Elder Scrolls: Legends [official site] all launched this week, and I tell you someone’s going to loose an eye. The Elder Scrolls: Legends, unsurprisingly but perhaps disappointingly, is more like the former. It’s Bethesda’s free-to-play CCG turning all your Elder Scrolls favourites in cards, including those potions you stole but never used and that meme. Seven months after entering open beta, TES: Legends this week escaped beta prison and properly launched.

Like many modern CCGs, if you’ve played Magic: The Gathering, or one of its many admirers like Hearthstone, you’ll recognise a lot of it. TES: Legends is one of those there lane-based CCGs, diving the battlefield into two halves with their own fights and, sometimes, special effects. Here, this trailer explains the basics:

Along with competitive multiplayer, it has AI bot opponents and a PvE story mode.

I respect that few units in Legends are individual named characters drawn from Elder Scrolls games, because who knows or cares about most people in them? A few cards are familiar but it is, mercifully, not an in-your-face celebration of bland lore.

The Elder Scrolls: Legends is out now on the Bethesda Launcher client doodad. This link will get the installer downloading.

I haven’t played Legends because I’ve already played CCGs enough to last me several lifetimes and have a problem, but I hear Legends is pretty interesting? It’s made by Dire Wolf Digital, the studio also responsible for Eternal, another F2P CCG.

Now that Legends has launched, Bethesda are talking about the future. April 5th will bring The Fall of the Dark Brotherhood, a new Story with murderous new cards.

From this site

1. R. Totale says:

Shouldn’t they have called it “The Elder Cards” or something?

2. Spuzzell says:

The Elderbrown BrownScrolls BrownLegends of BrownCards. Now with Brown.

Pre-order now for bonus Brown.

3. DEspresso says:

I played the Beta and it was quite enjoyable (Argonians!). Although when the campaign as finished there is a certain feeling of ‘what now’ as the MP part had zero appeal to me YMMV.

4. Guzzleguts says:

Get those eyes back in their sockets quick or we’ll have packs of feral eyes roaming the hills!

5. Tony M says:

If this game was a one off purchase, I’d be all over it. But I’ve had my fill FTP grind.

• Vandelay says:

It really is becoming increasingly silly how developers of electronic card games are ignoring the growth of the Living/Expandable Card Game. As far as I am aware, new physical card games that follow the out dated CCG model that electronic games try to emulate are nonexistent now. It is only the older games that already have a captive audience that are still using it.

• malkav11 says:

Fantasy Flight just launched a new collectible card game – Star Wars Destiny – not too long ago, and they’re the biggest champion of the LCG format. And there’s still quite a few others trucking along, most notably things like Magic or Yu-Gi-Oh. The problem in the physical space is that if you’re not Magic or one of the ones based on some anime for kids, you’re up against decades of inertia in the form of people’s card collections and the massive logistical support for the games that are already big. We’re not there yet in the digital space.

Sure, Hearthstone is huge, but it’s not so huge that it’s forced everyone else out of the market. Not yet, anyway. And I strongly suspect that there’s more room for smaller digital CCGs (especially of a deeper and more complex design than Hearthstone’s) alongside it than there is in physical gaming because one reason the big games are so dominant there is that you can live pretty much anywhere and still probably have access to other people that play those games. Whereas if you took some low profile game to the local game store, probably most people there won’t have even heard of it and you’d pretty much have to provide all the cards if people were even willing to learn. Digital card games don’t have to worry about that because through the magic of the internet, you’re constantly connected to every other player in the world. As long as there’s enough of a playerbase in general to support reasonably frequent multiplayer matches, you’re gold. (I mean, as someone who doesn’t want to play these things multiplayer against random strangers, you’re more gold with singleplayer content. But I suspect it’s the multiplayer that’s likely to drive the business end.)

• DEspresso says:

Like Star Realms? Yeah I too would prefer this.

6. malkav11 says:

A digital card game besides Hex that actually bothers to cater to solo play? Hmmm. Maybe I’ll give it a go after all. But Hex is almost certainly still the one to beat on that front.

Edit: Oh right, it’s limited to their stupid proprietary launcher. I don’t need a seventh one of those, so nevermind.

7. Farnbeak says:

Thanks, Alice! :)

8. DarkYuan says:

Direwolf Digital also does the Pokemon TCGO

9. nanotechnics says:

I think i will install and try it today.