Tech-priests still polishing up Space Hulk: Deathwing

Space Hulk: Deathwing [official site] has got the look but has it got the touch? Not quite, our Alec thought. But Streum On Studio’s first-person shooter does yet have the potential to be a fine bang-bang adaptation of Games Workshop’s tabletop wargame and, bless ’em, they are still working on it. Following a patch improving the technical guts of Deathwing last month, Streum On today launched another adding a new mode with randomised mission objectives. Plans for future updates include a new multiplayer progression system, new enemies, and more.

Today’s update added multiplayer Special Missions, which are set in the existing maps but have randomised missions and enemy spawns to freshen up the co-op. Right now Special Missions are only in chapter 1, but more will support it later. New Genestealer variants have arrived too, promising “more scale and shading diversity.” Plus bug fixes and balance tweaks and whatnot.

Beyond this, Streum On and publishers Focus Home are planning a string of updates ultimately leading towards a rebranding as an ‘Enhanced Edition’. They say to expect:

• Full multiplayer progression system with loot and class customization
  • New multiplayer class
  • New weapon and skills
  • New enemies

They don’t give a timescale for these update but the Enhanced Edition is due to hit consoles later this year, some time from September, so probably expect them all to have arrived by then.

From this site

1. Da5e says:

How difficult is it to make controllers work in a computer game? At least they’re accurately re-creating the ineptness of tech-priests, like.

• Chromatose says:

Significantly easier than getting the game to run well on a low-clocked AMD Bulldozer CPU and relatively limited graphics hardware.

Which is a pretty impressive step up given that Streumon’s previous game was essentially a Valve-sanctioned HL2 mod.

2. Okami says:

Ineptitude of the tech priests, you say? Have you ever thought that it could be your fault, for forgetting to burn incense, rub the controller with scented oils and praying to it’s machine spirit, before you begin to play?

3. GeminiathXL says:

Chanting the rites is ever so crucial.

4. PiiSmith says:

Please take your time to make a competent Left4Dead’em’Up in the Warhammer 40k universe. I want to have it and will buy it if you manage to do it right on your 2nd try.

5. Chem says:

I really hope they do continue making this game run properly. It’s fun to play and the levels are well crafted but it works about as well as a slinky that’s been dipped in concrete. Admittedly it’s improved significantly since launch but it still needs work.

I also really want the new class to be an actual tech priest.

6. RedViv says:

At least they are planning to add what I would like to see most in co-op. Nothing in this game bothers me more than seeing the potential for greatness clouded so much.
    (pls also more bolter blam, it’s too smol right now)

7. KastaRules says:

If Deathwing could have the replay value of the original 1993 Space Hulk it would be almost a great game.

8. nimbulan says:

I can’t say I have much hope for them improving this game. That big update they released supposedly included a brand new rendering engine written from the ground up, but if I hadn’t actually read the patch notes I would have no idea. The game runs just as poorly as it did before, stuttering every 5 steps like I’m playing a super high fidelity open world game and my framerate tanking whenever I fire a gun.

• Chromatose says:

I’m not seeing anything about a ground-up rewrite for the renderer anywhere. Doesn’t seem particularly feasible either given how small a team Streumon are. I saw mention of them moving to a newer version of UE4 which includes a bunch of updated graphical features though.

9. KDR_11k says:

I didn’t like how the movement and aiming/shooting felt so I returned the game, good to hear they’re improving it, if it’s good enough I might buy it again. Like the concept and stuff but it just didn’t feel right…

They should look at Pay Day 2 for some inspiration, e.g. the way maps are somewhat randomized on each run or the way the minigun feels.

10. Fnord73 says: