Star Wars Battlefront 2 post-launch maps, modes, and characters will be free

Oh thank goodness, EA might be learning. After years of DLC packs and season passes which empty pockets and split playerbases, they are slowly (or partially, at least) turning away from that. Following the example of Titanfall 2, Star Wars Battlefront II [official site] will release new maps, modes, heroes, weapons, and vehicles free for all players. EA announced that during their E3 presentation-o-rama today, also showing off some swish action spanning all the Wars in a new trailer as well as hosting a lengthy live demo of actual gameplay. First, the fancy E3 2017 trailer:

To break the good news about content updates, DICE drafted Janina Gavankar, who plays the protagonist of Battlefront II’s singleplayer campaign.

“The team at DICE heard our feedback loud and clear on the previous Battlefront, and are committed to keeping this community together with themed seasons of content post-launch for all players at no additional charge,” she said.

The first free update will arrive this holiday season, adding bits including Finn and Captain Phasma as playable characters.

“The first season, inspired by Star Wars: The Last Jedi, is only the beginning of the additional content coming to this game,” Gavankar continued. “All post-launch heroes, maps, weapons, and vehicles will be free for everyone who owns Star Wars Battlefront II.”

That sounds good. EA did release some Battlefront maps and bits free but so much more was in £12 DLC packs. In a remarkably petty move, they released DLC packs two weeks late for people buying ’em separately rather than in the season pass. Ending that is sensible.

After that, the presentation broke into a half-hour live gameplay demo. Assuming EA archive that video, I’ll whack it in here later.

Celestial says:

Nice troll.

The number one way to make Trekkers at a Star Trek convention fly into a homicidal rage is to loudly yell in a crowded area, “Star Trek? Isn’t that the one with Luke Skywalker?”

Drakesden says:

Which episode/movie has Picard and Worf hiking through mountains, with Picard in a leather jacket and Worf carrying a shoulder-mounted grenade launcher? That looks AMAZING. Also as close to Star Wars as they probably would ever get.

• RLacey says:

That’s Star Trek Insurrection.

• Vandelay says:

That would be Insurrection, I believe… It wasn’t amazing.

Edit: As they say on Star Trek, frak! You beat me to it.

keithzg says:

Frak? No no no, you have the wrong frelling franchise.

MajorLag says:

Bunch of gorram nerds, this lot.

• HZCH says:

Star Wars ? Wasn’t that TV series about pajama guys and gals getting stormed by an Imperial robot army and fleeing earth in diplomatic space stations, and a rebellious faction got stranted on a desert planet, with larva aliens and cowboys and swords, but the Imperial robot army found them and killed their planet with a laser, and then the rebels came back in time to win the war against the Imperial robot army by nuking them with nuclear weapons ?

All I remember is they censored themselves with “frak” instead of an old english derogatory word of some sorts.

Also, spoilers, I guess ?

• ogopogo says:

can Alice take over that weekly steam top ten column pleas? thnx

2. Mumbles says:

“…they are slowly (or partially, at least) be turning away from that.”

Talk about mangled English.

3. aircool says:

Makes you wonder what you will get charged for beyond the cost of the core game itself?

• PiiSmith says:

They already announced that there will be micro transactions. So that’s how they try to get more money, than just buying the base game. How egregious those micro transactions will be is the question though.

4. Binho says:

I know it’s just me, but I feel those gorgeous environments are wasted on multiplayer games like this. How I long for an RPG that lets me wander around and actually explore them :(

5. Scare Tactics says:

EA dropping their DLC policy? I call fake news. Someone must’ve tampered with the press release. Probably russian hackers.

6. Marclev says:

Does anybody know from what episode or movie of Star Trek that image is actually from? I don’t remember them ever showing a 24th century rocket launcher?

7. Thirdrail says:

The thing about Star Wars is that you don’t even need to con those people into DLC packs. They’re nostalgia addicts on par with any crack fiend who’s ever walked the Earth. Offer them cosmetic Boba Fett armour or the ability to change their lightsaber color for $5 a pop, and they’ll fall all over themselves racing for the BUY NOW button.

8. notprotonated says:

Star Trek: Insurrection, for those wondering. I wouldn’t bother. Watch First Contact, instead.

Edit: Sorry for repetition. My recommendation still stands, though :)

• causticnl says:

Insurrection is still pretty good, specially compared to the hot mess that was Nemesis.

• Vandelay says:

You know what, having watched all the Trek films a year or two ago, Insurrection probably is the best of the TNG films. It is still not much better than average, but it does push TNG to the big screen reasonably well.

First Contact is an okay action film, but it doesn’t use the characters particularly well. We have Picard being angry a lot, which we had already dealt with in a more fitting way in the episode ‘I, Borg.’ The others don’t get much else to do, with the exception of Data, a trend that would continue in the films of making them all about Data and Picard. There is barely any humour either and pretty much zero intro to what is going on or set up of any plot/character beats that can pay off later down the line.

Generations had potential to be great, but the direction of it is piss poor. They are trying really hard to make the sets not look like the TV show, so you get some horrific lighting going on, that makes the whole thing rather ugly to look it. You also have the fan rage inducing death of Kirk at the end. Whilst watching it I thought a better conclusion would of been to have Kirk fighting the chap launching the missile, whilst Picard went to try and save the Enterprise. That would of given Kirk the opportunity to get centre stage in the fisticuffs. Have him survive too, with the closing moment being him living his life out in a real log cabin, rather than in the Nexus.

And, that is all the TNG films there ever were. Definitely no others.

• causticnl says:

oh I agree, lot of peeps think First Contact is the best TNG movie. but I strongly disagree, Picard is basicly playing Rambo against the Borg, waaay out of character. Sure, fun to watch for one time.

funfact: It was first Riker that went back to the ship to fight the Borg. But Steward wanted to do actionhero kind things, so they give him that role.

Insurrection is much closer to a TNG episode that we ever had in a movie.

9. Nouser says:

Has anybody commented yet on the apparent removal of the armadillo-like drones from the drone army?

• Koozer says:

Destroyer droids! I love those guys. They’re probably too fiddly for them to implement as player-controlled entities; too unique for normal troops, too weak for a special class. They’d have to turn like tanks and move slower than normal troops, they’d need their shields, and they’d have to let you use the funky roll deploy or else what’s the point?

10. causticnl says:

alice I love you.

11. Mr Bismarck says:

The article mentions Star Wars but the picture is clearly from the second season of Firefly.

12. fish99 says:

After watching the footage from the EA briefing, I’m struggling to get excited about a battle between robots and clones. What’s next, cubes versus spheres?

13. Servicemaster says:

LOL, nice x-man pic.

Considering I ended up playing Battlefield 1(not the first one ever but the latest one) for over 70 hours sans dlc and still had a blast AND I’ve played a huge chunk of my friend’s PS4 Battlefront 1 (not the first one ever but the latest one) I think I might end up picking up Battlefront 2.2.

Mainly because of John Williams, though. The only person who made the prequel trilogy worth imbibing.

keithzg says:

That’s what soundtracks are for!

Actually, I can’t remember what track it was, but I remember putting a John Williams prequel track under the Enterprise opening credits. Kindof saved eachother.

Thulsa Hex says:

Dat mouseover text.

15. Tempus Fugit says:

Chewy got a haircut.

16. jeremyalexander says:

Nice trolling, RPG ;)

17. Greg Wild says:

I can’t wait for maps based on the episode where Jack O’Neill takes on the Cylons.

Comment on this story