Armarama! Bohemia launch Argo, add Malden to Arma 3

Because one launch isn’t difficult enough, Arma devs Bohemia Interactive are going for one-and-a-half today. The big one is Argo [official site], their free multiplayer FPS spun off from Arma 3 [official site]. The half is an update for Arma 3 adding a new island to play on, the remake of Operation Flashpoint’s Malden which Bohemia made for Argo. All this is to celebrate the 16th birthday of Flashpoint (or Arma: Cold War Assault, as Bohemia later renamed it) today.

[Update: Because I’m a big sleepy fool, this post originally included the release of an Arma 3 expansion that had been out for a month.]

So, Argo is a free FPS which takes Arma’s serious shooting to game-y modes based around capturing points. Argo also introduces a new 12-player cooperative mode, Combat Patrol, which procedurally generates missions across Malden.

Bohemia released Argo in prototype form a while back but now it’s properly launched, available on Steam. Good luck getting to the store while it’s overloaded due to the start of the Steam summer sale. Argo is free, though Bohemia are selling a £7 ‘supporter pack’ of cosmetic bits like victory animations.

Today’s Arma 3 update rolls in a little of Argo. It adds the Malden 2035 island and Combat Patrol mode, while also also improving the flight model of Arma’s jets and making other changes. Check the patch notes for the full scoop on everything.

Oh, and of course everything Arma is on sale on Steam.

Malden 2035 is a pretty place:

1. Javier says:

Malden is actually one of the islands from Bohemia’s first game Operation Flashpoint. I’ll go for a nostalgic virtual walk in it, but from the screens and videos I’ve seen it doesn’t really look like the original that much. Oh well!

• Dudeist says:

Now this is Malden 2035 and I think they add few more triangles and slightly bigger textures.

• demicanadian says:

Bohemia’s first “arma” game. IIRC their first game was Father Frost, released by another company who they later aquired.

• Micky Nozawa says:

Aye, I know these kinds of complex maps take a good while to create but it doesn’t strike me as an update of Malden as much as a rearranged Altis, complete with virtually identical vegetation and buildings. There are far better user made maps.

2. nearly says:

As a heads up for anyone that runs into similar troubles with Argo, it downloaded 100mbs from the store and then gave me a “no executable” error. Apparently you need to go directly to Bohemia’s site/store, link your Steam account, and redeem from there. It should be something like 10gbs when you download it after adding it to your account that way.

Not sure if it’s a launch hiccup or how they’re actually expecting to distribute the game.

3. Vilos Cohaagen says:

Correction on your story: BIS launched the Jets DLC for Arma 3 on the 17th May, so over a month ago. The only Arma 3 DLC they launched today was the reimagine/remake of Malden from the original Op Flashpoint :D

4. BobbyDylan says:

Now someone remake OF: CWC campaign.

5. marmite says:

Imagine how cool this would be if it was set in New Malden.

6. Kong says:

Bohemia is a singularity in my gaming life.
    Operation Flashpoint was a revelation.
    Ever since then, I buy every new product by Bohemia.
    Play some hours, then quit frustrated. Still buy all their products including the new Jet DLC.
    Dunno if I will ever play it. But I want this story to continue, in hope that Bohemia will some day overcome the frustrating no fun problems.
    Yes it is true. I am idealist and dreamer. No cure available.

Go Bohemia. Next star to the left. Warp ten until morning!

• marmite says:

Wow, that’s totally my story too. Operation Flashpoint was a defining moment for me and I’ve been a fan ever since despite never really feeling like I’ve been able to extract the fun from their games that I should be able to.

Have you tried Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds? It’s got a lot of little nods to it’s origins as an ARMA mod and I’m loving it.

• Kong says:

I’ve got it in my sights.
        Good to know a fellow gamer sharing my feelings for Bohemia approves of PUBG.
        As freelance artist I am going through financial ups and downs. Sadly its down these days. But as soon as my luck has changed, we may meet in Battle Royale.

7. Flopper says:

This game feels like a steaming turd. I downloaded it with high hopes it would be a nice tight little CS:GO hardcore game. The controls feel clunky. Your character feels giant. Your weapon model are scaled so large it looks like everything around you is tiny. Movement feels like crap. People walk like horses. So noisy you can hear them from a block away even crouch walking.

It’s just an unpolished turd all around. I get a beastly frame rate on mostly high settings. Even though the game looks like dookie. On a GTX 1080 set to 1440p resolution I can almost max everything at ultra but I get weird FPS stutters so I lowered it to very high and can maintain around 90fps.

But a buttery smooth frame rate doesn’t mean shit if the game still moves and feels like garbage.

8. snekodinsson says:

Combat patrol is fun(ny). When I played, everyone on the team shot and killed a friendly at least once. (Twice in my case). Two people with the suffix ‘FromTheG’ kept killing each other (clan rivalries?). And we had one guy join that killed us on purpose. Still, we *nearly* got the mission done twice.