868-HACK expansion coming in July

Remember 868-Hack [official site]? It was a grid-based strategy/puzzle mash up released on PC in 2015 in which you control the avatar of a hacker trying to break into a system full of nasty viruses. There’s been no updates since it wormed its way onto Steam, and I had no inkling that one was coming until creator Michael Brough tweeted than an expansion is coming next month.

When I asked him what exactly we should expect he said: “mostly more stuff (programme, powerups)”. More stuff is good.

So, why should you care? Well, because 868-Hack was rather good. Alec spent some time with it in 2015, and was very impressed. Here’s what he had to say:

“As compulsive and ingenious as it may be, it’s deeply sinister, in a refreshingly understated way. The simple pixel-creatures (viruses and bugs, to be precise) you battle emit single barks and growls, animal noises rendered eerie and monstrous out of context. The colours are all wrong. Everything seems to glitch, even when it’s not glitching. The smiling face of your almost certainly doomed character when it’s at full health seems like acid irony. The music is the groan of a dying demon.

“The formula at 868-HACK’s dark heart is an expert one: I struggle not to start a new game the second I lose one, even though I am bad at it, even though it’ll probably go even worse this time around, because it makes me feel that I’m always on the verge of greatness.”

The game also on sale on Steam at the moment at a very specific 27% discount, and will cost you £3.39.

What would you like to see from the expansion?

1. shinkshank says:

I realize it’s a stretch, but I’d like to see an Android version, because this looks like a perfect game to play on the move, but not so much while sitting at home.

Unfortunately, the dev has stated somewhere that he didn’t have much interest in porting it over, because his last android game barely sold any copies. It’s unfortunate, since I think that was back in the day when nobody bought android games and the market has since shifted a fair bit, but whaddya do.

• brog says:

it would be a waste to take time away from making new games, so i’m going to spend the money i make from selling games on android to contract someone to port my other games to android. so far i have one game there and i’ve made $130. your move, androidsters.

• Flavorfish says:

It’s just a shame that Android is such an awful platform for great games. I remember really enjoying an amazing little Spacechem lite called The Sequence and then I looked at the downloads and there were less tha 1000!

The ios app store and Google play are imo very much responsible.

2. TychoCelchuuu says:

This game is great. I’m terrible at it but it’s great to play through a game or two every once in a while and it never gets old, not just because it’s a roguelike but also because I’m terrible so there’s a lot of room to grow.

3. RaymondQSmuckles says:

This is one of the only applications, let alone games, that maintains a permanent installation on my iPhone.

4. cai says:

In case anyone is wondering why the specific 27% discount, it’s presumably because 868-hack is based on a 7drl game called 86856527.

5. emertonom says:

Might have to give this one a try. The look reminds me of a game from the early 2000’s called Decker. It had you hack into procedurally generated mainframes to steal stuff or shut things down for contracts. It was surprisingly addictive. If this scratches the same itches, I’ll probably put a lot of time into it.

Comment on this story