Monster Hunter: World trailer shows off feline friends

monsterhuntercatheader

I wish my cat was more like those in Monster Hunter: World, the upcoming dino-pant crafting action-RPG that’s making its PC debut next year. Not once has she cooked me a delicious artisanal steak, nor joined me on my monster hunting expeditions riding a tiny lizard monster of her own. Her only skills are plaintive meowing and dog taming, which is admittedly fairly impressive for a real-world feline – though I’ll cop to being a little biased.

Sorry, you’re probably here to hear about the latest Monster Hunter trailer rather than my pets, aren’t you? It’s just below the jump, and shows off what you can get up to with your Palico pals.

Those customisation tools look decent, and of course have me wondering how close a facsimile to my own cats I’ll be able to create. I’m torn between going for that or trying to push the character creator to its limits – red pandas and raccoons certainly seem feasible, but what lies beyond those?

That trailer also features Meowscular Chef, a Palico who’s devoted his life to cooking rather than monster bashing. With food that looks this good, I think he made the right choice.

When Adam played it back in September, he was pleased to find a mix of brutal fights and gruesome crafting with more lighthearted antics:

“Despite the physicality of the combat, it’s often very cute and approachable, with that paddling cat and the merry simplicity of the camping sequences, where you craft new gear from the parts of your fallen foes and make meals to buff you for your next outing. But the actual fights are intimidating in their length, demanding endurance and concentration, and there’s a whole lot to see and do. And let’s not forget that you’re making armour and weapons out of the corpses of the things you hunt. It might be bloodless, but it’s an icky business, this monster hunting.”

Dominic Tarason, a veteran monster slayer, was impressed with the 20 minutes of gameplay footage we got to peek at last month.

“This footage sets my last fears over Monster Hunter: World to rest. This is the Monster Hunter I’ve known and loved (in spite of its many flaws) since the PS2 era, now with almost all of those thorny design issues removed. One thing that seems especially improved to me is the verticality of the game. It’s not so much that there are platforms and ledges, but natural variances in height, and very few truly flat pieces of ground. The fact that the monsters navigate so gracefully across this terrain is a testament to Capcom’s animators.”

Those animators have done a good job with the smaller stuff, too. Just look at ’em!

Monster Hunter: World is coming to consoles on January 28th, with a PC release to follow at an unknown later date.

1. Horg says:

Mognificent.

2. Jokerme says:

Purrfect.

3. falcon2001 says:

I am so excited for the PC release. I played the PS4 demo and it mostly set my fears to rest aside from some framerate jankiness (on PS4 Pro, no less) that I think could be easily enough fixed via PC. I’ll probably end up getting it twice. :(

• bananomgd says:

I can understand why they’ve been so hesitant to announce a specific date for the PC release. However, for those of us who don’t own a PS4, it’s just frustrating.

4. Seafoam says:

Pawsome!
    Honestly I do love wandering the world with my tiny cat men. Without them you just wander the lands, you could almost get all serious, but with them around it feels like an adventure!

5. JarinArenos says:

This trailer had me grinning ’till my cheeks hurt. Never played a Monster Hunter game before, but this is looking like something I’ll have to play.

• Dominic Tarason says:

This looks like the best place to start with the series. A recurring problem with the games up til’ now is that they either teach you the basics too slowly, or drop you in the deep end too soon.

From what I’ve heard, they’ve got that balance properly worked out, with the game starting on a (quite dramatic) movement tutorial before settling into some guided hunts against lesser critters, with a lot of the older fiddlier stuff like gathering and crafting happening naturally along the way.

6. Ghostwise says:

Kittyreffic !

7. Kits says:

I do love the felynes. They have a lot of character to them, funny little creatures. I was sorely disappointed when MH4 replaced them with the dopey shakalaka’s.
    I am especially liking how fluffy they look in this one though.

8. Skabooga says:

Maybe it’s just me, but does that last clip show the monster hunter doing a Yoshi jump off of one of these Palicos?

If so, then they truly are the perfect companion.

• DarkFenix says:

That really would be perfect, I remember the many, many Yoshis I sent plummeting to certain death just so I could showboat in front of my friends. Ah, those were the days.

9. Caiman says:

Can we have a dog-based version please for those of us who can’t stand cats, because this may be enough to put me off the game. Hell, I’d settle for mice. Or rats. Possibly even chipmunks. Raccoons even! Just not more effing cats. This may be a thing, I admit.

10. Chaz says:

But can they play the piano?