Dying Light 2 announced, co-written by Chris Avellone

More first-person parkour-o-zombiemurder is coming from Techland in Dying Light 2, announced today at E3. Once again, we’ll get to leap and fight through (and over) a zombie-infested city, run missions for people, and try to survive. Simply more Dying Light would be grand, but this sounds like it’s going ambitious on the story front too, drafting Chris “The Human Stretch Goal” Avellone as a narrative designer and co-writer. He gabbed about the game having decisions with “genuine consequences”, where who you help and how will open and close opportunities and change the future of the city, with good and bad effects either way. Get a glimpse of that in the first gameplay demonstration below.

Pretty, that. And here’s the plain ol’ announcement trailer:

As for the rest, here’s the marketing blurb:

“The bold sequel to the open-world phenomenon, Dying Light 2 brings to life a unique post-apocalyptic vision of the Modern Dark Ages – a brutal, bleak and unforgiving reality where you are as likely to perish at the hand of a human as you are by the infected. In this exhausted world, your quick thinking, exceptional parkour abilities and brutal combat skills are the only things that let you dive into darkness and emerge alive. Make morally grey decisions and witness how they impact the world at multiple levels, shape the transformation of the City, and ultimately decide its fate.”

The game’s been no secret for years, but now it’s official. No word yet on when Dying Light 2 will launch, so probably not any time soon.

Check out our E3 2018 tag for more announcements, trailers, news, and goodness knows what else.

1. woodsey says:

They announced this at E3 2018? But this looks exciting! And ambitious! Surely you jest?

2. Rogerio Martins says:

Oh Chris you’re a beast, love that man’s work.

3. milligna says:

Fallout: New Franchise

4. Vinraith says:

Glad to see a sequel to this, really enjoyed the first one in co-op. I can’t say that story is why I play a game like this, but as long as it doesn’t get in the way all’s well.

5. tsff22 says:

Guess the Nuke ending isn’t canon then. I wonder if that means there will be a certain Volatile as an (optional?) boss.

6. Babypaladin says:

And Chris Avellone’s evil plan to conquer the world with his writing continues…

7. Kefren says:

In the gameplay trailer he zooms in as if using bincoulars, but without putting any to his face. Is the player a cyborg? If it is just to represent squinting, why is it the shape of binoculars? For some reason, weird things like that (or rain speckles on a lens as if there’s a camera hovering behind 3rd persona characters in games) distract me.

8. Blade says:

I really, really, really hope Techland has done something to improve the protagonist for Dying Light 2. DL1 had delightful gameplay but anything story or writing related was mostly abysmal.

Kyle Crane of Dying Light 1 is, in my opinion, probably the most irritating, infuriating and obnoxious player character of all time. Much of this was because of writing, which I felt was very sub-par.

Additionally I thoroughly disliked voice acting for Kyle Crane. It was heartbreaking knowing that the voice actor, Roger Craig Smith, is also no other than Ezio Auditore da Firenze (which was a terrific performance). I have to assume Roger got a very basic bare bones voice direction and did not have much to work with.

Did anybody else here feel this way about Dying Light 1?

• Poolback says:

I actually liked the voice actor for Crane. Reinstalled the game recently and I really feel like he’s the one carrying the whole story.

That said, sure the story wasn’t the best, but it did the job. I played the game mostly to have fun bashing zombie, and the story gave me a good enough reason for that for suspension of disbelief.

Now I am a bit scared that the story of the second one, while good and properly written, could get in the way of just parkour/zombie bashing. The trailers have barely shown any zombie … I hope they are not going to try to make it something it is not.

9. suibhne says:

I’m unreasonably excited for this. If they take the first game’s parkour and make the city feel much more alive, that alone will be enough for me. Halfway-decent writing would be a huge bonus – usually high on my list, but I already loved Dying Light with absolutely terrible writing and characters.

Comment on this story