Sony have released some more details about their forthcoming persistent-world multiplayer spy thriller, The Agency, and I've posted those same details after the jump. The concept does sound intriguing, particularly "from sneaky assassinations to all out assaults, from vehicle challenges to casinos loaded with mini-games". It does sound as if they're going all out for the unofficial Bond MMO with this - a kind of City Of Heroes, where the logic of the game world derives from spy thrillers rather than superhero comics. The other possibilities, such as the politics between player-run agencies, and having NPCs work for you, make this one of the most interesting multiplayer titles lined up for 2009.
- Live the Life of an Elite Agent: The Agency offers many unique missions with varied end-goals requiring combat, stealth, and style. With gameplay ranging from sneaky assassinations to all out assaults, from vehicle challenges to casinos loaded with mini-games, there's something for every aspiring agent.
- Build Your Own Agency: As players advance through the ranks of their faction, they'll also begin building their own Agencies. Players will increase their power even further by creating Joint Agencies with others.
- Mercenary or Spy, the Choice is Yours: Collect the right weaponry, gadgets, vehicles, gear, attire and aliases to gain access to numerous locales and influence over the people within them.
- Put Operatives to work: Operatives are collectible non-player characters who provide the goods players desire and the services to keep them alive. Operatives let players concentrate on the mission at hand and increase their own effectiveness. Operatives work 24/7, and they can keep their Agents up-to-date even while offline, through email and text messages.
- Fun Now, No Waiting: At any point, PS3 or PC players can jump right into the action they want. Veterans and new players alike can take on other players in head-to-head combat, the shooting range, or the card tables. And of course, there is a rich story packed with exciting missions, too. Shooter fans and online gamers alike will get to jump into this online persistent world on their platform of choice and frag, or build characters to their heart's content.