Crysis Demo 24 Hour Crisis

By John Walker on October 26th, 2007 at 1:38 pm.

The Crysis demo is yours to download today! Er, if you’re willing to buy Crysis first.

EA, in their non-stop waterfall of wisdom, have decided that it’s an extremely clever idea to ask people to pay money for an advert – an advert that will be available for free tomorrow.

Jungle Boogie!

For those who are buying the game anyway, they can gain access to the brief section for a whole 24 hours, when the non-pre-ordering plebs must sit outside in the cold. Which includes us, so we’ve no idea what the demo’s like. Sorry about that. Read on for more moaning.

Now, maybe we’re confused in our old age, but aren’t demos designed to promote sales of games? To give potential customers a taste of what’s available, and the desperate desire to play more? So what exactly is the sense of flaunting the fact that everyone the demo’s surely aimed at can’t get at the thing when it’s already ready? And how much incentive is a demo anyway? Let alone 24 hours of a demo?

That’s not to say there’s no reason to pre-order Crysis. If you’re confident that it’ll be good, you get a lot more than daft day-early access to a demo. There’s an unlockable multiplayer vehicle (how long will that stay out the hands of the rest of players?), a disc of art assets, an exclusive soundtrack, a couple of wallpapers, and access to the pre-load so it’s ready to go on launch. And of course access to the current multiplayer beta.

But still. Demos are commercials EA, not magical treats for those who’ve already forked out the cash. Selling adverts is just taking the piss.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Yiorgos says:

Actually, I want to try the demo to get an idea of how well the game runs on my machine…i’m not really ready to spend money on upgrades for any game, being a student and all…

So there’s really no sense in pre-ordering before i actually try it, even if I was convinced it’ll be better than everything I’ve played this year!

2. Jeremy says:

This is one of the dumber ideas to come out of EA, and that’s saying quite a bit.

3. SteveTheBlack says:

This really doesn’t surprise me, coming from EA. Completely ridiculous.

4. Cradok says:

That’s just taking the piss. Really.

5. Alec Meer says:

It’s monstrously cynical for sure, but I wouldn’t call it even slightly dumb. I imagine most people who will play Crysis already intend to play it ASAP. This just ensures a few more of them pay now, and direct to EA’s coffers, rather than waiting to pirate it or buying it for a low, low price from an importer or something. The age of the internet is the age of impatience, and this is taking fairly smart advantage of that.

6. Monkfish says:

I think the desperate desire to play is what’s driving this. EA have discovered that Crysis is having the same effect on gamers as the thought of sausages had on Pavlov’s dog.

And boy, have EA taken advantage of their new found ability to make gamers drool on command. Firstly, they did the deal with IGN/FilePlanet for the multiplayer beta – and FilePlanet gained tonnes of new paying subscribers. And now, fully realising the potential draw of the game, they’re doing a similar thing with the demo.

Reel ‘em in.

7. Ghiest says:

I’ve only had chance to play the Multiplayer, but from what I’ve seen, I was far from impressed to be honest.

I have a beefy system and it taxes it quite nicely but I fail to see where the power is going to, because the visuals are not really much better than Far cry (except higher res textures and probably a slight improvement on poly count). Yes I was that unimpressed that I wont be even buying the game I think. This was max settings at 1920×1080 resolution with SLI 8800GTX’s it does look fairly crisp but just didn’t grab me…. Its just ‘meh’

8. SwiftRanger says:

The multiplayer has toned down details compared to the singleplayer portion of the game I heard, that might explain some things.

9. Kismet says:

I expected people at EA to be smarter. They should have called this one beta demo, and release it for everyone a couple of weeks later with the patch that will surely be available by that time anyway. One day earlier? Pffft.

/me hides

Jokes aside, I find way more annoying the exclusive multiplayer vehicle. Artificially discriminating chances of success among players depending on factors existing outside the “circle of magic” is a good way to turn away anyone with a basic understanding of what competition in a game means.

Then it may turn out just to be a bubble and the vehicle semi-useless (I generally hate vehicles in FPSs anyway – except Quake Wars Icarus and Tribes 2 Shrike *g*), but it’s still quite annoying…

10. Steve says:

What is to stop people uploading it to other websites?

11. Alexander says:

It’s a real irony that customers let themselves be treated as cattle, even enjoy it.

Why is this really making me think of the money leeching behaviour of the music industry? I have this hunch that as soon as more ‘amateurs’ are granted the capabilities to make games, not hindered by state of the art limitations (because there are high quality open source engines, open source assets, and a good set of building tools), the dinosaur(s like) EA will quickly perish under their own weight.

We aren’t granted the right to decently judge a game unless we buy it, that’s essentially what this implies.. How on earth can we acknowledge this butseqs.

12. Monkfish says:

What is to stop people uploading it to other websites?

I hear it’s encrypted – those that have pre-ordered it will have it unlocked on release.

13. FaceOmeter says:

/disgusted look

14. Gregory says:

I don’t really see what the big deal is. It’s just a day. They got the demo ready, and at about the same time, they were like “we need another little stocking-stuffer for the preorder folk.” So they gave them the demo a day early. It’s not that they’re asking money for the demo; they’re just adding a tiny bit of value to the preorder.

On the scale of game publisher jackassery, this rates .001 Bioshocks.

15. Steve says:

I figured that would be the case, but hadn’t found anywhere that said for sure.

16. CrashT says:

Well the Demo is out in the wild now.

17. MurderSandwich says:

Looks like it’s been leaked out. http://www.gamearena.com.au/downloads/details.php/crysis-single-player-demo is where I grabbed mine. I’m going to check it out now.

18. Thelps says:

Someone post here who has played the demo (on ‘general’ release as of today)! I want to know if it’s worth the massive download or if I should just do the inevitable and buy it when it comes out. It’s so hyped I’ll have to do that either way.

I’m such a marketing bitch.

19. CrashT says:

Sorry for length… just ripped this from another forum I posted on…

“So anyway, I’ll be honest I wasn’t expecting much, either in terms of gameplay or performance. I was pleasantly surprised on both counts. Either the Demo doesn’t contain the highest resolution textures or they are disabled for DX9 but regardless my new machine (1.8Ghz Dual Core, 2GB DDR2, 8800GTS 320MB) was able to run the game with everything on high at 1280*1024. It was just about playable, around an average of 25FPS. Knocking some of the settings down to medium, mainly particle count and effects detail I could make it much more playable (around 35 – 40FPS) while still looking rather nice, in terms of model and texture detail. On both settings there was quite a bit of pop up, and other obvious level of detail artefacts, but it didn’t really damage the game. Crysis also loads significantly faster than Far Cry ever did even for levels that appear to be quite a bit larger.

The demo itself is the first level of the game and after some frustratingly unskipable cutscenes it starts with a sky dive onto an island. I don’t want to give away too much but it’s a rather impressive opening, even if it does take rather too long to actually let you take control.

Gameplay wise it’s very similar to Far Cry, but the big change is the NanoSuit. It took some getting used to, and really does require some thought with regards to key bindings, but once you get the hang of it switching between Strength, Cloak, Speed and Armour is something you do almost instintively depending on your perfered playstyle. Each different setting provides additional bonuses, such as increased Strength allowing for higher jumps and a steadier aim.

Additionally your weapons can be upgraded using a similar system, one which reminds me greatly of Gunman: Chronicles (Half Life Total Conversion turned retail release, and quite a good game actually).

Sadly I’m still not impressed with the vehicles control which feels identical to that of Far Cry and thus generally pretty poor, at least compared to the much tighter controls in something like Unreal Tournament. Enemy AI is at least as good as Far Cry’s, I generally tended to try and pick them off from a distance so didn’t get to notice some of the more specific combat AI.

My only really issue right now is the manner in which the game takes control away from the player, while still maintaining the first person perspective, in certain cutscenes. The cutscenes in question are generally well staged and acted but after playing Half Life 2 it does feel rather odd to have my character being moved around beyond my control, even though he does have a voice of his own.

Anyway, it’s worth a look if you computer anywhere close to mine, I’d suspected it’s still look half way decent on slightly lower settings, and if your machine outstripes mine then there’s every reason to download the demo. I’ve gone from mildly interested but not expecting much to, almost certain to pick it up.”