Crate Expectations: Grim Dawn

By Kieron Gillen on August 6th, 2010 at 6:38 pm.

That's the grimmest dawn I've seen in quite some time.

One Mr Azri reminds me of the existence of Grim Dawn. It’s being created by veterans of the sadly missed Iron Lore – who you’ll remember from Titan Quest. Last time I checked there was no images, but there’s a mass of early Alpha shots to nose at now, as well as talk about its features such as destructible scenery, building characters from five skill-classes and NPC-faction-relations. Oh – and multiplayer. They’re also giving the option to pre-order now, for twenty dollars basic version or pay more to get special editions (and your name in the credits). I strongly suspect this will be worth keeping an eye on so – er – I will. I’m a bit of a Beholder in terms of the amount of eyes I’m able to access to keep track of RPGs. Very handy.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Vinraith says:

I’m glad to see remnants of Iron Lore still working, Soulstorm was a mess but Titan Quest was pretty great. More action RPG goodness from them is welcome, though I confess I wish there were half as many promising “regular” RPG’s as there are action ones at the moment.

Oh, and if you’re beholder-like, Kieron, that begs the question as to where the big eye is pointed.

• DJ Phantoon says:

On John Walker, of course.

He doesn’t want him to even be able to attempt being a terrible healer.

• disperse says:

I’m more concerned with where the cause death and disintegration eyes are pointed…

• Vinraith says:

@disperse

I took it as a given that those were aimed at members of parliament.

2. Freud says:

Funny, I was checking in on this just yesterday (after the Torchlight II story). Seems THQ might have made a mistake not supporting Iron Lore better. Titan Quest have sold over 1 million copies and was profitable for them. But I guess games having poor initial sales is all it takes these days.

• Freud says:

“Those low initial sales that were supposed to rapidly drop off to nothing never dropped off. The monthly sales never increased to anything impressive but they just kept going and going, longer than anyone could have imaged. After Iron Lore had shut its doors and Crate was struggling through its first year in existence, sales of Titan Quest just kept rolling…

The game had not only reached profitability for THQ but it was very close to surpassing a million copies sold.”

• ScubaMonster says:

I guess that shoots down the claims that piracy ruined Titan Quest’s sales.

• Urthman says:

When Titan Quest was released, it had pretty steep system requirements. It may have just taken a long time for the people who wanted to play it to eventually get a good machine. Kind of like Crisis, it was released needing futuristic systems to run at highest quality, and as a result it still looks great today.

It also has the benefit of being a high-quality game in a not-crowded genre. There was no strong competitor released in that genre until Torchlight, years later. And even Torchlight isn’t obviously better — some people may prefer Torchlight, but it doesn’t make TQ seem totally outdated.

And the production values on TQ are ridiculously high. The artwork is gorgeous. The effects are great — it has some of the most beautiful sunrise/sunset lighting of any game in any genre. There is a gratuitously huge amount of voice-acted dialogue, far more than you would “need” for a game like this — and while none of it is particularly great, it stands out to me as amazing that none of it is bad. The writing never makes me cringe, and even more impressively, the voice acting never makes me cringe — there are very few games I can say that about.

• Rich says:

Titan Quest and Immortal Throne happen to be sitting in my Steam library. I might actually have to install them and play them now.

• subedii says:

Personally I find it ridiculously ironic that the studio that famously went under and claimed it was solely piracy that killed them, with the platform being completely unviable, filled with nasty sorts is now…

Doing the exact same thing all over again and developing a PC exclusive action RPG just like their last game because it… did… so… well?

I mean the death of Iron Lore and how it represented the death of the PC games platform was pretty much one of the main stories for 2008.

So I mean, if this fails to sell, are we going to see a repeat performance in 2011 or what?

• WildcardUK says:

This story and comment thread piqued my interest in Titan Quest enough to see if I could find it on the cheap. And I did!

If anyone else is interested it’s just shy of £4 for the Gold Edition (original and expansion pack) as part of Gamersgate’s current sale. Bobby dazzler!

3. Count Elmdor says:

That’s good news. Titan Quest is really well done, and the Ancient Greek motif is a nice departure from the usual gothic fantasy you see in these games.

4. Dave says:

From the screenshots I’d say it looks like the same engine Titan Quest uses. Of course that could be entirely wrong, but if its the case I really hope they tweak it better this time. TQ performs horribly even on today’s mid-range setups.

Other than that it was a really good game (with a very chewy start up until ~lvl18) and I’m looking forward to this.

• Heliosicle says:

It is the same engine, they retained the rights to use it (I think) or licensed it off THQ, fairly sure they bought the rights though.

5. tomwaitsfornoman says:

Anyone played the alpha yet?

• Dave says:

Was about to ask the same. If I hadn’t bought that Eddie Izzard DVD-boxset I’d probably buy that Fan Edition now and play the Alpha.

• Rob says:

I think it’s still in pre-alpha. I signed up to pre-order and support one of the two highest levels, can’t remember which, and haven’t heard anything about getting hold of the game yet. Hopefully one day soon.

6. pipman300 says:

You made that joke already. I demand a refund.

7. Mac says:

I spent a lot of hours in Titan Quest trying out different builds – THQ should be strung up by their knackers for not looking after Iron Lore.

8. Miko says:

I pre-bought it some six months ago, I think. The mid-tier edition. Titan Quest was easily the best click-em-up pseudoRPG I’ve ever played (Diablo 2? Pah! Torchlight? Faugh! Dungeon Siege? Oh now you’re just getting silly) so I didn’t have to think about it very much.

• Bremze says:

Am I the only one who felt that TQ was so horrid that it shouldn’t even belong in the same sentence as Torchlight? It felt more of a grind than Korean free to play mmorpgs, all your fun skill had long cooldowns so you had to resort to your basic skills and all the classes felt really underpowered. Even co-op couldn’t save the game for me.

9. ReV_VAdAUL says:

I made an amazing discovery, the credit card payment thing also lets you use debit cards. This probably wasn’t news to anyone else but it mean I was able to pre-order! Yay!

10. Shakermaker says:

Notice how the item number of the Legendary Edition is 1337. Click ‘buy now’ to see for yourself. I like these guys :-)

11. Oneironaut says:

I’ve been following Grim Dawn ever since I started playing Titan Quest a few months ago. Can’t wait for it to come out. I want to buy the legendary preorder, but I’m broke.

12. Andy_Panthro says:

Saw this many moons ago, and I’ve already bought the legendary edition (or whatever the best one is).

I bought TQ:IT as well, and am impressed.

From what the developers tell us in the forums, it should be a hell of a game.

Over in the media section there’s one bit of music from the soundtrack, and there’s loads more info in the forums. I’d recommend going to have a look.

13. omicron says:

I imagine 70+% of TQ fans are *rabid* TQ/Iron Lore fans. All they need to do is send a personal message (one-time TQ update?) to all of them, saying “Hi, guys. It’s the ILE people again. We have a new game and we need your support, please take a look”… and they’d get much of that nearly-one-million in sales. I, for instance, am definitely buying based on how much I enjoyed TQ (and ILE’s Ensemble Studios ancestry, too).

14. Serenegoose says:

If I still remember this in a week, I’ll definitely grab it – I mean, there’s no way I won’t buy it, but my wealth is vanished til next week. I bet I’ll forget and miss out having my name in the credits. What! it’s important to me!

But seriously though, I really like the sound of this and it’s entirely possible that I’d have missed it otherwise. Thanks, RPS! This week has been a good week for the diablo clone :D

15. KP says:

when is this coming out WHEN

16. JuJuCam says:

News like this on pay day = JuJu is a Legendary fan. I don’t always feel like I’m having *fun* playing these games but I certainly am compelled to keep playing and that’s a joy all of it own that’s worth supporting.

17. DigitalSignalX says:

Those screens look fantastic, not sure how much is engine vs. post but if it’s accurate then I’m looking forward to trying this.

18. beads says:

The game with the computer of the CPU.

19. Asylum101 says:

alpha’s not out yet, don’t expect a playable version til about at least 6 months from now.

20. rocketman71 says:

I haven’t missed Iron Lore that much. Especially their stance on DRM and their stupid statements on piracy and why their game “failed” (I don’t think their sales make it a fail).

I hope they’ve growned up a bit, they’re going to need it.

• dadioflex says:

I wish them well, but after Diablo 2 and then after Sacred, Titan Quest was just more of the same repetitive grind. Sacred 2 is a far better game than Titan Quest but no-one talks about it much. Probably because it was a buggy mess with an expansion but no bug fixes. Okay, that’s a good reason not to talk about it, but it was STILL a better game than Titan Quest.

I haven’t played Immortal Throne yet, though it’s sitting in my to do pile.

If proof were needed… Google for “Titan Quest Easter Eggs” and then Google for “Sacred Easter Eggs”…

Oh, okay, Sacred… Easter… just Google for “Sacred 2 Easter Eggs” instead.

One has two hundred times as many results as the other.

That’s why I prefer the Sacred games.

21. Pl@tinum says:

For me TQ is without any doubt the best arpg i played. Sure Diablo and Diablo 2 made a great impact on me when they were released, specially the amazing Blizzard cinematics, but TQ managed to improve everything and still put out a few great ideas, like the artifacts. It’s a game a still play today, a game that still looks gorgeous, better then most AAA titles, and it has the best music score i’ve heard in a game, not only ’cause it’s beautiful, but mostly ’cause of the way it integrates with the gameplay without getting to your nerves. I usually put the slide to 0 in all games, but never in TQ. Can’t wait for this.

22. Sidorovich says:

I find it difficult to enthuse over TQ, for me it was a sluggish experience even on my current rig. And while the setting was more orginal than most, I recall the voicework and story being rather lame. There was something slightly ‘off’ about the combat system too, the click-click addiction never got going for some reason. Whilst plot and memorable npcs are rarely the strengths of this genre, all these pretenders to the throne are becoming rather tiresome. We all know who’s going to be sitting pretty with the crown come 2011….

23. Harlequin says:

uh Asylum you are everywhere. :D

The Alpha wont start before next year because there are only 7 (or 8?) Devs who are working in normal jobs.

Anyway GD will be the most awesome game. Screw Diablo3^^

24. Nick says:

I loved TQ, had a great time playing through it in coop with a couple of other guys. Bought this, thanks for the heads up!

25. Urthman says:

Short Shameful Confession: I keep coming back to TQ for the ragdoll physics.

For me, the most addictive part of TQ is not the loot, it’s the way that when you overkill a monster (i.e. do significantly more damage than it has hitpoints), the monster gets knocked away, it’s corpse flailing through the air with ragdoll physics. That just never gets old. Particularly when it’s a melee attack like the Defense mastery shield bash. Or a big crowd of skellingtons hit by a large area-of-effect lightning blast or fire explosion. Or you’re almost dead, your potion cooldown is only half-way done, and you land a really good strike on the boss and knock it off it’s feet dead. So great.

26. UncleLou says:

We are soulmates. ;) I agree with every word you said. And yes, the music in TQ is phenomenal. Always the same melody but in dozens of dozens of different variations and instrumentations.

27. UncleLou says:

Hohum, that was meant to be a reply to Pl@tinum, but it didn’t work.

28. UncleLou says:

“Sacred 2 is a far better game than Titan Quest”

I am a total Action-RPG addict, hell, I’ve even played Loki, but I thought Sacred 2 was a really, really bad game. A lot of quantity, and almost zero quality.

Opinions and all that. :)

29. Hmm says:

Looks and sounds awesome, but will it be Steam exclusive (please NO!) or are there plans to release Grim Dawn on Impulse, Gamersgate and Direct2Drive?

30. richierich says:

there is a MOD for TQ that is incredible , new monsers ,weapons and it huge. has anyone herd of an RPG called Inquisitor

31. stone says:

Immediately bought Epic edition. I know what I will get – and the price is right. Keep up the good work, Crate – and lots of thanks to RPS for pointing this out for me.

32. Choca says:

I bought the Legendary one. I will add it to the “list of games RPS made me buy and that I will most likely never play (so many games, so little time)” up there with Mount & Blade and Frozen Synapse.

Bah, who cares it’s just money anyway.

33. Sidorovich says:

I take it back, I’ve just re-installed TQ for a third time and now experimenting with the ranged class (bow). Enjoying it much more now. I hope this new game gets a boxed release, there’s no way I’ll be able to download it on my crap connection.

34. Tiptoe says:

I bought the Legendary edition too. The thing that really sold it for me was the no DRM promise! I was so impressed by this, that I wanted to support and encourage these guys in the hopes that other developer’s would learn something from it (no DRM = More sales).

Also, I love the fact that the developer’s actually talk to people in the forums and listen to their ideas and concerns. So far, this game has ticked all the boxes for me. I’m really looking forward to it more than any other (and that includes Diablo 3 and the new Dungeon Siege).