Big Fish, Little Fish, Valuable Box: Depth

By Quintin Smith on October 12th, 2010 at 2:58 pm.

'Hi.' 'Hey.'

I guess John was a bit down on Medal of Honuur. Nevermind! Here’s a first personly experience RPS can get behind.

Under development by a bagful of ex-modders and level designers, Depth is an asymmetrical multiplayer game that recreates the timeless struggle twixst man and shark. One team controls speargun-equipped divers, and has to recover a priceless artifact and take it back to their ship. The other team controls sharks, and must eat them. The shark players also can’t see very well, but can detect motion, and can smell blood from miles away. Ooh, and there’ll be classes, too. Big shark, perhaps? Skinny shark. Fast shark! Hungry hungry shark. But enough of my wild conjecture. A trailer released back in August is after the jump.

I should also point you towards the screenshots here. They’re wonderfully moody. I’ll absolutely be bringing you more info on this as soon as the team release it.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. konrad_ha says:

Can’t wait to sink my jaws into this.

2. AndrewC says:

But John would want it to be a single-player-or-maybe-co-op-at-a-push explore-em-up of a deep sea area like that Wii game Endless Ocean only PC and good.

And so would I.

My reasons are that I am rubbish at multiplayer.

3. Snall says:

I admit I look forward to biting peoples’ legs off and watching them plummet to the bottom leaking massive amounts of blood…and playing the sharks will be fun too.

4. Rinox says:

Will it allow me to jump sharks and feel like the Fonz?

5. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

Sharktopus!

this sounds great indeed. i hope it’ll be a bit zero-g like the completely underrated and now slightly abandoned adrift-in-space shooter Shattered Horizon.

6. ozmonatov says:

Jawsome.

7. SpinalJack says:

Will there be giant sharks that can eat boats and will there be gas canisters you can shove into the shark’s mouth and then shoot to make explode?

If so then Best Game Ever

8. Paulinc says:

Sharktastic!

9. stahlwerk says:

The image alt-text works incredibly well in german. Coincidence?

Also, I’ll take every excuse to link to some classic Polly Jean.

10. Jake says:

Hhopefully there will be some mega sharks or even a sharktopus.

Actually this looks pretty cool, although surely there is a more sharky name they could have used than Depth. Sharx Fatalis, Sharkraft, Amnesia: The Shark Descent, Alone in the Shark, that sort of thing, really sell the shark angle.

11. BooleanBob says:

Too bad it isn’t an asymmetrical multiplayer game that recreates the graceless struggle twixst man and twix.

12. Skusey says:

Looks gilling. (I can’t come up with anything anywhere near as good as “Jawsome”)

13. Sunjammer says:

THIS is what I’m talking about! Holy fuck yes!

14. Baboonanza says:

An epic, one-sided conflict in which one participant is eaten by a chubby plumber named Mike and then washed down with a brutal game of capture the flag against a mug of PG Tips.

15. Flaringo says:

SHARKS!

16. SWOne says:

Jaawwwww, yeah!

17. AndrewC says:

18. mcnostril says:

I wonder if you get points for griefing your fellow sharks once they’ve been hurt.

It’s only natural.

19. Nersh says:

I’m in jaw

20. Dood says:

Different shark classes? Man I’d want to be a hammerhead shark!

21. Lewie Procter says:

I’d want to be a Basking shark.

Just swimming around eating all the plankton.

• Rinox says:

And then…*SHUNK* harpooned by a blood-thirsty human, giving your brother a reason to AVENGE you (and incidentally a damn good genero-hollywood plot).

It’s be like Kickboxer, only with a basking shark instead of Van Damme.

22. Starayo says:

This looks awesome, but as a SCUBA diver who’s quite terrified of sharks, this is not going to do well for my nerves while diving. :P

You know what they should bring back? Street sharks. That was an AWESOME cartoon.

Mutant rollerblading sharks > mutant turtle ninjas.

23. tubbles says:

Looks fun, but as a diver I will probably spend most of the game pointing out mistakes :D

24. Benjamin L. says:

Needs more FRICKIN’ LASERS.

25. J says:

This looks like a multiplayer version of Shark! Hunting the Great White which was fun and terrifying in equal measure, if a bit basic. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

26. noobnob says:

Ugh, this is kind of a pet peeve because I already know the limitations of rendering circles and spherical objects in 3D, but…the eye of the shark! It looks like a polygon :(

27. ron says:

cool idea. please keep us posted on when this gets a demo out or something cause its nice to see a truly unique FPS pop up.

28. Al3xand3r says:

Meh. With that screenshot I was hoping for something along the lines of Endless Ocean but with PC powered visuals and stuff… Oh well… Maybe some day (no, that diving sim RPS has posted about is quite awful compared to EO1&2)….

29. kikito says:

“Shark that vomits laser-eyed tigers” class or not interested.

30. MrTambourineMan says:

Alex Quick, the leader of this project was also leader of Killing Floor mod.

31. Lazer says:

I swear to God if anyone mentions this to PETA I will be SO mad.

• Torgen says:

Why would PETA be mad? The sharks get to fight back! A similar game would be the circus, where the tigers don’t take any more shit from the little guy with the whip and the chair any more.

Hmm…..

• pipman3000 says:

what could peta do? be misogynist towards it? like make a bunch of women screw sharks or something because uhhh… free willy! not in my back yard! rps eats kittens!

• jsdn says:

As long as the average KTD ratio for sharks is above 1 I think PETA will be okay with it.

32. Fumarole says:

More asymmetrical gameplay like this please.

33. Hawk says:

I can’t believe this is harpooning

34. ordteapot says:

This topic seems reef with opportunity for word gags?

35. Devan says:

You know, this reminds me a lot of that level in No One Lives Forever where you have to go wreck diving for some papers. Probably one of the best sections of that game, and I’d love to try something like that in multiplayer. Bring it on!

36. Crumpled Stiltskin says:

… the Land Shark is considered the cleverest of all sharks. Unlike the great white shark, which tends to inhabit the waters and harbors of recreational beach areas, the Land Shark may strike at any place, any time. It is capable of disguising its voice, and generally preys on young, single women.

37. Logan says:

Is this using the Crysis engine? Those trees and water effects look awful Crysis-y.

38. Saul says:

Great concept, if a little un-PC. But it’s on the PC, so that makes up for it.

39. KillyBilly says:

Why Sharks Circle You Before Attacking

Two great white sharks swimming in the ocean spied survivors of
    a sunken ship. “Follow me son” the father shark said to the
    son shark and they swam to the mass of people.

“First we swim around them a few times with just the tip of our fins
    showing.” And they did.

“Well done, son! Now we swim around them a few
    times with all of our fins showing.” And they did.

“Now we eat everybody.” And they did.

When they were both gorged, the son asked, “Dad, why didn’t we just
    eat them all at first? Why did we swim around and around them?”

His wise father replied, “Because they taste better without
    the sh!t inside them!”

No need to thank me, I try to learn something new every day
    and today I get to pass this important information on to you…

40. de5me7 says:

is it just me, or do those divers swim really fast?
    this game looks deep.

41. Tetragrammaton says:

I <3 PC gaming

42. Stuart Walton says:

The game lobby for the shark players should be the ‘womb’ of a Tiger Shark. The player who manages to eat their siblings (the other players) and then their way out of the mother get first dibs on choice of shark-class in the match.

43. AlpineViper says:

Nurse shark is clearly the medic.

Walker shouldn’t play one.

44. FRIENDLYUNIT says:

The end bit was good n stuff hough I’m disappointed we didn’t actually get to see a shark go NOM NOM NOM NOM

45. Tunips says:

The little pulse of music as they went under in the cage made me remember how much I love Stalker’s (the film) soundtrack. More meditative electronica under the sea, please.

46. Thiefsie says:

Hammerhead engineers?, Nurse medics?, White Pointer scouts?, Whale Shark tanks?,

• Malagate says:

Judging by the proposed gameplay, videos and screenshots, I would say the classes available would be:
      *Great White
      *Tiger Shark
      *Mako (see screenshot on this very article)
      *a kind of reef shark (white tips?)

Not sure why they would include the great white and the tiger shark together though, not to mention the fact that they say the gameplay for sharks is “sound based” due to their “poor vision” whilst sharks such as the great white have excellent colour vision both above and under the water.

Unless that’s the point, having a class that can actually see well whilst the tiger shark senses better, with the Mako being the speedster (IRL also has good vision, look at those eyes, kick ass pelagic hunter) and a kind of reef shark to be able to wriggle between the gaps and finish off divers hiding in the rocks.

I would also hope for the oceanic whitetip, just because it’s a bit different in looks than most other sharks.

47. Robert says:

What is bothering me though: What the hell is Aquatic Stealth. Videogames have taught me that stealth is equil to crouching with your arms bended in a funny way and then walk forward like a penguin. How do you do that in the water? Swim like a penguin maybe?

48. Jakkar says:

Ah, multiplayer stealth. How I’ve missed you these long years since AVP2 X.X

ENSURE WE ARE FURTHER INFORMED, YOU PEOPLE.

49. Chris says:

Honestly, you guys. Punning is so superfishcial.

50. PoLLeNSKi says:

Chordata’d be fintastic – Water suggestion! Would be great with some other diverse gamemodes too

• PoLLeNSKi says:

well that made no sense where it was posted….it should’ve followed: “Actually if you took the fear mechanic from Amnesia, and mixed it with the shark side’s alternative senses and the temperature differential caused by weeing and that’s your unique gameplay right there.”

Comment on this story