Magicka Receives Mighty Patch Already

By John Walker on January 25th, 2011 at 11:15 pm.

They're combining code, code, fix, and scream.

Right, to keep you up to date on Magicka, a hefty patch has already appeared. That’s swift. And Paradox tell us the developers are already hard at work on a second patch to catch what they haven’t crammed into the first one. And, they tell RPS, there will be new patches every 24 hours fixing whatever may have arisen. For the angrier denizens of the internet, let’s remember that while it’s obviously massively frustrating to spend money on a game and then not be able to enjoy it, this is an £8 game from a small developer that’s working its arse off to fix everything as fast as it can. Not ideal, no. But not, let’s say, not patching your billion dollar selling AAA blockbuster for months. To apply the patch you’ll need to restart Steam, whereupon the 522MB of fixes will begin downloading. The long list of patch details are below.

I don’t see much mention of server issues in the list, but as I say another patch is already being created. Let us know below if you’re finding it easier to start a game. And despite there not being a mention of it below, the tutorial bug has been fixed too.

Characters will now clear any crossfading previously in progress when initializing.
Character network performance has been improved.
Servers will now properly clear pending clients when starting a game.
Some grapical improvement has been made to the tutorial level.
Burning grease is now working properly over network.
Grease network performance has been improved.
PhysicsObjects now update their orientations correctly over network.
DamageableObjects status effects now work properly over network.
Character status effects now work properly over network.
Fixed a dialog problem which prevented cutscenes from ending properly.
Wizard castle collision mesh has been adjusted.
Havindr Arena’s collision mesh has been adjusted.
Glade’s collision mesh has been adjusted.
Hyphen (-) has been added and other fixes have been made to the fonts.
Ruins script has been modified.
Ruins textures has been improved.
A few missing NPC name tags have been added.
A glitch when characters performed multiple move orders in sequence has been fixed.
Picking up items over network has been fixed.
Random teleport over network has been fixed.
Music will reset properly when restarting from checkpoints now.
NPC wizards now use the correct coloring for network clients.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Javier-de-Ass says:

Heh. Blame Steam for you having to redownload almost the entire game to patch. And having to redownload all that every 24hrs with each new patch. :-D

• BAReFOOt says:

And I blame them for being a small studio. If they were large, like for example Rockstar, then some cracker would write a patch for them, as it has happened with GTA:SA, amongst a lot of others. ;))
      Really. 5 patches for 4 crash-before-ingame cases and 1 graphics-messup bug… on day zero. And Rockstar was quiet for weeks.
      It that did teach us anything, then that buying into that “IP” delusion by licensing something, deserves punishment. ;))

2. El_MUERkO says:

Just tried to play a game with Four friends now. Lots of connection issues and CTD’s. We’ve just given up now.

• ceriphim says:

Tried twice to get some multiplayer games going because I got tired of seeing lock-up black screens playing solo.

First try – Game locked up at the end of the tutorial level

Second try – My character and another got stuck in letterbox “conversation” mode with a friendly mob and nothing could unstick us.

Are you kidding me? Add to that the downright terrible matchmaking system and almost complete lack of “open” multiplayer games… And NONE of this was apparent pre-launch? =/

• HeavyStorm says:

Of course it was apparent. Either that or they never fired up the game in release mode.

Like I said before, I’m learning that we should wait at least two weeks, preferably a month, before buying a game.

You know, when Blizz released SC2 and Reapers were unbalanced, I thought, “months in beta and no one noticed that you can end a match like that abusing it?”. But that depends on beta testing, on players figuring out a certain tactic, and on other players not knowing how to counter it… But heck, how difficult it is to spot errors like “being stuck in a letterbox” or not being able to connect to multiplayer matches?

• Weylund The Second says:

@HeavyStorm: “Of course it was apparent.”

Please, go develop a game of your own. When people claim that you must have known about every bug on every possible network and hardware configuration and simply ignored them all… I hope you remember saying this.

• ceriphim says:

@Weylund The Second: My played time is just a hair over 3 hours, with 2 hours 50 minutes of that solo.

In 10m of multiplayer I find the only two bugs? Sure.

I understand your defense of the developers in one sense, of course they can’t anticipate and fix EVERY bug out there. But an UNPLAYABLE multiplayer with two game-stopping bugs in 10 minutes? Come on man.

3. John Walker says:

Yup – I couldn’t get a game going either. Sadface.

4. Tei says:

Thanks for the game, it’s full of love and volatile magic. *hugs*

5. Flappybat says:

Multiplayer works but when action heats up i can’t see the other player, spell effects or monsters. I also get stuck dead a lot even if the other player sees me as alive.

6. Freud says:

Indie developers should be held to the same standards when it comes to bugs as every other developer. I’ll buy lack of polish, worse graphics and shorter games. But not CTDs.

• Brumisator says:

Yes they should.
      However, the best part about indie game patches is that they can come out lightning fast, like this and Super Meat Boy.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

@Brumisator: Mind that every patch of Super Meat Boy fixed some things but broke others. The pace was way too high for just two people, despite the good intentions.

• sassy says:

I have more CTD’s from the big titles then I do indie titles. I’m also willing to accept a CTD if the developer obviously cares enough about the product to want to fix it.

Both super meat boy and this are good examples of that (not that I own this, yet). They are both games the developer cared a lot about and wants people to enjoy the product.

I think most AAA titles are cared about a lot as well, except publishers abandon the game far quicker then the developer does.

• MindFukr says:

I’m sorry but Super Meat Boy wasn’t patched very quickly. I dunno if they released their mid-Jan patch already, but for me SMB was somewhat unplayable before that with semi-constant CTDs and crashes on quitting (come on, memory alloc/dealloc problems on exit should be easily debugged) etc. And based on just Steam forums I wasn’t the only one…

How hard is it to do some QA? Even if you’re a small company or indie developer, I’m sure you could find some volunteers to test the shit out of your game.

Hmm, that’s somewhat off-topic. So…. Magicka looks interesting, coop games rule, I’ll surely be buying this next month.

• BAReFOOt says:

That’s easy to say for you. Indie developers don’t have the resources to do massive beta testing programs. And if they do it, and it gets even remotely close to a success, it ends up like Minecraft, where people basically have to pay to play a beta, or even a alpha, just so the developer can finance itself, and get some bigger testing. Because as a small team you can’t possible come up with all weird the ways the users could use it, all the weird buggy PC configurations out there, and whatnot like multi-NATing.
      I don’t expect a game of such a size to be bug-less in any way, until it has been used by a couple of million people in a couple of million games.
      Of course, that teaches us, that if you do a great game, and play your cards well, the Minecraft way is probably the best one to go. And they will still hate you for finding bugs… in a beta…

• MindFukr says:

I would imagine there’d be willing testers if the developer offered some incentives, such as names in credits, free copies of the game, etc. I’m sure there are plenty of ways to make your QA better, even if you are one man team.

If you give out 500 copies of your game free for testers (people with true interest in the game and making it better) and it makes the game more stable/better, I would consider it even if it means I would lost 2% of sales. Who knows you might win in the long run…

• Lightbulb says:

BAReFOOt – No resources for beta testing?

Release the demo as a beta for people 2 weeks before release. Identify all problems. If they patched this on Day 1 and Day 2 the bugs weren’t that hard to fix were they?

Half of those issues aren’t what I would call bugs they are fundamental huge problems with the game. People will happily PAY to play beta’s these days. Hell I would have beta tested the game, I would even have paid for it.

• Zogtee says:

I just expect developers, big or small, to sort out the glaringly obvious bugs, before they release their games. I love Magicka, but it really seems we are testing the beta version here. Pointing out that some AAA titles go unpatched for months is irrelevant, as they have nothing to do with Magicka and I don’t believe anyone has claimed that it’s okay for the big devs not to patch their games.

• RegisteredUser says:

Let us not forget that there was a time when games like DOOM existed, that were essentially made on an “indie” level(< 10 people iirc) and ran beautifully and were playable to the end right off.

We should not pretend like making a functional game is an impossible feat.

Nonetheless, I give these guys props for putting effort and love into their project and for stepping up.
      At least they did not release a bill of rights first and said that 1.0 would be the bestest game EVER in the whole EVERtiem.

• iniudan says:

@RegisteredUser Have you ever play Doom v1.0 ? Doom sure was not bug less at release, if you saved while you were in an open doorway your save was basically corrupt until 1.2 for game crashed when you reloaded. There was also bug with PS/2 mouse where game could lock or make you lose the control of your character. There was also game crash if you played on LAN with 3 or 4 player.

• Weylund The Second says:

How hard is it to do QA? Handing out free copies of the game and saying “tell me if there are any problems” is not QA. There’s a reason that Minecraft still has massive bugs on several platforms: real QA is hard. Big companies can hire a few dozen people and train them in how to report bugs and have them play the game 11-12 hours a day (go EA!) but small companies don’t have that luxury.

Also – the DOOM reference? Hilarious. Yes, DOOM was perfect on release, that’s why it required a series of large and backwards-compatibility-breaking patches.

• RegisteredUser says:

Emphasis was on making sure that the game was “beatable” on release for the SP “campaign”.

• iniudan says:

@RegisteredUser And when did anyone say the game was unbeatable in SP ? (but I admit currently I am stuck for stuck at a specific fight for I end up surrounded or send flying down the clift, each time I try).

Most of the trouble is the multiplayer, along some compatibility issue.

7. Alaphic says:

At least there’s some continuing support here though. If I hadn’t already bought it, I’d buy it on principle at this point because of the quick patching.

Much better than the useless copy of CODBLOPS I’m saddled with.

8. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

The myriad of issues involving the join button alone would require a 500 MB patch.

9. Nallen says:

Magicka or Love?

10. Leyths says:

I really, really wanted to play this. Tried the demo on my laptop, ran fine, but I couldn’t play it due to the lack of a middle mouse button on my trackpad. How could this be overlooked? There isn’t even a way to change the bindings for mice.

I hope they fix it, it sounds so much fun.

• trjp says:

You could – y’know – use a mouse?? Gaming on a trackpad is a shite idea at the best of times…

• Leyths says:

Why should I? I’m so used to gaming on a trackpad why should I change, I have no trouble playing any type of game, from Total War to BFBC2, I can play any of them to pretty much the same standard as someone with a mouse.

Frankly the mentality of ‘you don’t do what I do so you’re wrong’ is just so bafflingly absurd. I’m not hurting you by playing games how it is convenient to me, so why should I be punished for this or looked down upon?

• Gepetto says:

That’s EXACTLY what I said when somebody called me weird for eating a bowl of soup with a knife and fork.

• mrjackspade says:

“Frankly the mentality of ‘you don’t do what I do so you’re wrong’ is just so bafflingly absurd.”

No….it’s not cos you’re not doing what he’s doing, it’s just that you’re doing it *wrong*. Playing games on a trackpad when you can get a mouse for a fiver is just ridiculous. Games were designed to be played with a mouse. If you can get along fine with a trackpad (and the infinitely worse experience) then good on you, but don’t complain when a game doesn’t work well with it.

And I’d like to watch you play BC2 with a trackpad lol…

• Leyths says:

Yeah, sure I can get a mouse. But that requires sitting at a desk, something as a student I don’t have in my accommodation. I play everything on my lap on my bed, so a mouse would be unfeasable. It’s really not too much to ask that a developer doesn’t hardcode a major function of a game to a button not everyone has.

You’re better with mice because you’ve always used one, I’m better with a trackpad because I’ve been using once since I was a child. I’m not murdering children or pillaging orphanages, I just want to play a game which for some inexplicable reason has it’s major function unchangeably bound to a button not present on the majority of laptops.

• Chris D says:

Leyths

You should be able to bind it to something else using autohotkey.

• Urthman says:

Middle mouse button on most mice is a scroll wheel, which I find very uncomfortable to use. In reading the coverage about this game, whenever writers refer to using the middle mouse button, I’d been thinking to myself, “but of course I’ll be able to rebind that to something more comfortable.”

I’m guessing they’ll patch that eventually. I’m not too surprised when a Beenox console port doesn’t let me rebind my keys, but it’s really weird seeing that in a game like this from an indy PC developer that clearly is pouring lots of love into their game.

• Jahkaivah says:

Yeah this “tackballs are for wierdos” talk is kind of irrelevant when the topic at hand is about forcing use of mouse button 3 use which isn’t the wisest move, trackball or no.

• Thermal Ions says:

@Leyths
      Simply place one of your text book or folder to the right (or left) of your laptop and use your mouse on that. My wife does this all the time – immensely better than settling for using the trackpad.

• Tacroy says:

Lethys: Using a trackpad on like your lap or whatever it is since you don’t have a desk has got to be a gigantic ergonomic nightmare; I wouldn’t be surprised if, in four years (or however many you have left) your wrists are actually fused masses of bone.

Seriously, get yourself a mouse. Your wrists will thank you for it.

• MrMud says:

@Leyths
      Of course there is a way of doing it wrong.
      Playing BFBC2 with a trackpad is like trying to play halo with a guitar hero controller, you are doing it wrong.

• Lightbulb says:

Oh god yes I NEED to swap left and right click. Right is move, left is cast. Hours and hours of LoL (and pretty much every other RTS for the last 5+ years) has embedded this in my head.

• tanith says:

Guys, what is your problem? Playing games on a trackpad is fine.
      If I’m using my notebook to play games I often do it, too (it works very well with some games like Minecraft or RotT but absolutely not with fast games like Warsow) – mostly because I cannot be bothered to plug in a mouse which will only take away additional desk space.
      This is the PC after all – you should expect to be able to rebind hotkeys or change your keyboard configuration.

• DjchunKfunK says:

Devs have said that they are working on a re-map option for those having trouble with the middle mouse button.

• zergrush says:

This.

My scroll button stopped working, on most games I just map the function to one of the other four side buttons but this one doesn’t let me do it.

Had to play it with a pad last night ~.~

• DrazharLn says:

@People saying gaming with a trackpad is “doing it wrong”.

Hush. If I or anyone else wants to play FPSs with my eyebrows and wii controllers then it still isn’t your business. What exactly gives you the right to tell someone else how to enjoy their own freaking game?

Seriously. I’m fed up with polite and reasonable commenters being hit with a wave of vitriol and content the moment they post. Some of you people need to learn to live and let live, and perhaps how to be pleasant to other people.

• Urthman says:

it’s just that you’re doing it *wrong*. Playing games on a trackpadPC when you can get a mouseconsole for a fiver$200 is just ridiculous. Games were designed to be played with a mouse.console If you can get along fine with a trackpadPC (and the infinitely worse experience) then good on you, but don’t complain when a game doesn’t work well with it.

There, now can you see how wrong your attitude is?

The essence of PC gaming is that I don’t have to play games the way you think I ought to play them. I can play them the way I want to play them.

I’m fine with people saying, “You should try this with a gamepad” or “I think it’s better with a mouse,” but the instant you defend a developer taking away our options to play the game with the control setup we prefer, you might as well be telling us to quit PC gaming and buy a console.

11. Pijama says:

Okay. I, for one, appreciate greatly the effort, but does it cost so much to say: “Hey mates it looks like we have some real shite to sort out now so we will just delay the game a bit ok?”

It is stuff like this that makes Valve-time tolerable. :\

• Archonsod says:

That assumes the issues are visible prior to it being released. Given it’s working fine in multiplayer for some people, I reckon that would be a false assumption.

• Pijama says:

Indeed, I agree. My comment was more of a fruit of disappointment and frustration, to be honest…

• trjp says:

It’s a no-win. If it’s delayed, people bitch. If it’s buggy, people bitch – no win.

End of the day tho, developers have to pass a ‘working’ game to publishers to get paid – so there’s your deal in a nutshell…

• Griddle Octopus says:

This was all visible in the beta; the game was unplayable in multiplayer; it seems to do something strange where it kills your network connections as well.

• ceriphim says:

Yeah I’m gonna agree the vast majority of these were known issues. I get pretty regular irreversible black screens. Pretty sure it’s a graphics issue, I had the same occurance with CODBLOPS before the first patch.

This game is a blast… When it’s working. This many issues is ridiculous, I can’t play more than 30-40m without a black screen requiring restart? Even *after* the patch? WTF?

• Pijama says:

@trjp: While I might get a bit saddened with a delay, I find it much more important than an early release. Sure, expectations increase proportionally, but as long as it delivers, bitching doesn’t matter.

• Jahkaivah says:

@trjp

However between the two options smart developers realise the importance of “it’s done when it’s done” and smart consumers respect that.

• Archonsod says:

Lucky developers recognise the wisdom of done when it’s done. Smart developers recognise they’ve got to pay next months bills.

Other thing to consider is whether it’s worth patching or not. No point spending an extra three months running up the costs to ensure the game is perfect if only three people are actually going to buy it.

• Jahkaivah says:

@Archonsod

In other words those developers recognise the smart choice, its just a damn shame they are unable to choose it.

12. Stinkfinger75 says:

This game is screaming for controls akin to a twin stick shooter.

• trjp says:

How do propose to manage 8 spell elements, aoes, self casts, casting on your sword, magicka spells etc. with your control scheme then?

• Rowsdower says:

I’m quite sure that it does support this via the analog stick direction choosing elements, they do intend to release it on XBLA after all (I think I read that anyway).

• pakoito says:

It already works with x360 pads. Right stick is used to charge elements (top then slide left, top then slide right, right then slide top, etc…). Leftstick for movement. RT for shooting. LT for AoE. Y for self-cast. A for melee attack. B for Magickas. X for interactions.

• Stinkfinger75 says:

I would use Pinnacle Game Profiler to get all that stuff in there. It allows for an incredible amount of robustness and makes games that are couch unfriendly, friendly.

• trjp says:

err – he was suggesting a twinstick layout which removes the ability to get magic elements from a joystick…

I know how it works with the 360 controller currently – it’s his batshit crazy idea I was questioning :)

• ulix says:

Easy:

Have the eight Magic Elements on the digital directional Pad, and the four magic functions either on the four face buttons or the two shoulder buttons. You’d still have 4 more buttons to spare.

• adonf says:

@trjp: triple stick ?

• trjp says:

The 360 controllers DPad is a nightmare for diagonals – anyone relying on those in-game is worse than anyone using the middle mouse button…

You can skip cutscenes with SPACE when it shows the icon to do so. I think you have to see some of the scene before you can skip and the first cutscene isn’t skippable (why is there dance music in the background eh?) :)

13. Lyon says:

They ran a beta right? They’re already shifting out hefty patches so kudos to them for that, but these levels of broken would be pretty embarrassing for a beta.

Will keep trying though, it’s pretty nifty when it’s working.

14. Unaco says:

I decided not to bother attempting to play with others, and checked out the single player. Was fun… a few issues, only 1 freeze that needed the process killed, but quite a few bugs and niggles: swapping items needs looked at, I lost a good staff for a worse one, as I couldn’t check the one I was picking up; checkpoint system is horrible, probably works better for Co-Op and on the actual levels, but after having to go through the tutorial 3 times due to issues, I’m glad I remembered the safe word… as well as a few other minor issues.

But like I say, it seems like it could be a lot of fun. The scope and interactions of the spells is a wonderful mechanic, although it can get quite hectic in the middle of combat… I can see there being a lot of practice involved. But placing a minefield of water mines, and then calling down a wall of lightning behind it and waiting for the goblins to march to their doom is going to be great fun for a time to come.

• Archonsod says:

When you pick up a weapon or staff you drop the one you’re currently carrying on the floor. If you don’t like the one you’ve picked up, you can just pick up the one you’ve dropped. I’ve not found anything better than the M60 and War Staff yet.

15. noom says:

You all can think yourselves lucky. My graphics card is still opting to stop rendering long before I’ve had time to experience any bugs or CTDs :(

I am most likely in need of a driver update. Will try that tomorrow.

16. Lim-Dul says:

I played Magicka with three of my friends today and while it still is buggy up the whazoo, it’s just SO much fun. SO much randomness. The devs weren’t lying that you can combine elements as you please and on top of that you have the preset Magicks for additional effects.
    While it isn’t AS chaotic as in the RPS write-up, you will still make hilarious mistakes and I definitely see rage-potential in this title, which so far has been reserved to games like L4D/2 or DotA offshoots, which actually is a good thing, since it means you have an emotional involvement.
    Protip – cast Meteor Shower ALL the time. ;-)

• Nomaki says:

I have to be stupid and ask: What is the middle element in the Meteor Shower spell?
      Two rock, two fire, and..?

• mrjackspade says:

protip2 – spam ring of exploding balley things around you and no enemies can get near you (hold shift, shield + arcane, right click).

I think it’s water but don’t quote me on that.

• Xocrates says:

@Nomaki

Steam. Aka water+fire

• Nomaki says:

@Xocrates Oh crap you can combine elements to make MORE elements?! My head hurts thinking about the combinations already.

• Unaco says:

The middle element is Steam, also a component of the Rain Magicka. Took me a while to figure it out… at the party, at the end of the tutorial, a wizard mentions Water + Cold making Ice, and that you can make steam, but he doesn’t know how. It’s Water + Fire.

On this point, the correct order is required for magicks, so it has to be Fire, Earth, Fire, Water, Earth, Fire (to make the middle one steam – if you do Fire, Earth, Water, Fire, Earth, Fire the water will make the first Fire into Steam, and it won’t work).

Also @mrjackspade, Shield + Arcane + An Element will make mines of that element… so Water, or Electricty, or Fire. I don’t know what just Shield + Arcane does… maybe just Arcane mines.

Other pro-tips… Apply a shield to yourself, between combats, or just before. Just add 1 shield, and cast on self. It absorbs all damage I think, but you are shielded from all spells, even heals. Also, just casting a shield will hold enemies back while you charge up something. If you have a shield on yourself, you don’t get wet from rain. If you add elements, and hold right click to charge, you can start queuing the elements for the next spell, then cast the one that’s charged, and then the one you queued up. If you get some good timing, you can queue up a good chain of spells.

Casting Element + Shield on self puts a marker round you, which rubs off on others you touch… any one know what that is?

• Xocrates says:

I assume they’re protection auras or similar. I’ve only been playing single player and not using those much so it’s hard to tell.

(and I will bloody not slow down)

• Archonsod says:

Fun fact – shielding yourself will cause beams to reflect off you. It comes in useful when facing enemy wizards, or friendly wizards with a lack of targeting sense.

Other useful tips:

Charging elements then shift + click casts it on your weapon. Fun thing about this is the mine, rock and shield spells can all be used in this way, in which case they form a straight line from the spell rather than the usual semi-circle. Be careful with mines though; if they detonate the explosion will travel back to you like a fuse.

You can exploit multiple effects in the same beam. 1 Arcane, 2 Cold and 2 Lightning will create a beam which does pretty heavy damage against the target and also slows it down via frost, it’s immensely useful against bigger opponents.

Shield will prevent healing spells. This can be useful when facing groups of wizards who insist on healing each other, you can use a shield to separate one from his friends and kill him while they can’t heal him. If you use the area shield you’ll end up trapped inside with him, but an interesting thing to note here is that they tend to be fond of arcane beams, and the beam will bounce both off the inner walls of the dome and a personal shield.

• Tacroy says:

What’s really fun is casting a bubble shield when there’s only an enemy wizard next to you, and then beating his face in with your melee weapon. I can see my mage going “It’s just you and me now, buddy!”

Of course this tends to backfire quite often, as they’ll generally cast some sort of ray spell that proceeds to bounce like crazy throughout the dome, and off of you because you have the personal shield up, right?

Oh also on that note: keep the personal shield up all the time. It slows you down a little bit, but the extra health bar is totally worth it, especially since most of the time you’ll want to be hasted or teleporting (depending on what you have) instead of moving around using your legs like a plebian. You can even heal it if you heal yourself. The only problem is that if you’re poisoned or on fire or wet when you cast it, nothing can get through the shield to fix it. Of course, this also means that you can cast rain + freezing/electricity as much as you want, since you’ll never get wet…

• Unaco says:

Casting shield on yourself while you already have a shield up will turn it off… allowing you to heal yourself, cure poison, dry yourself with fire etc. Is also effective if the shield is nearly empty, and you want a fresh one… cast shield on yourself to turn it off, then cast it again to put it back on, with a full bar (admittedly, you can just heal yourself, but it might take >2 Heals if the shield is very low… this way it’s only 2 spells you cast).

17. Primar says:

@ Unaco:

It’s immunity to element. Multiple Element + Shield on self provides an immunity aura to any friends nearby.

Dead handy for Arcane + Shield on Self > Arcane + Shield on Area. Drop mines everywhere, take no damage! Wonderful.

• Unaco says:

I figured it was either protection from, or vulnerability to an element. So, Fire + Earth + Shield on self, will make you immune to your own, or others Fire balls? Sounds like a plan to me. Unless it’s just for others nearby, and doesn’t effect you.

• Koozer says:

The auras give protection from everything of that element, to everyone inside it. Including enemies.

Earth + shield is a special case, it encases you in a lump of rock that absorbs all incoming damage until it breaks. I can’t figure out a way to block earth damage, much to my brother’s glee. He does love his fireballs…

18. MeestaNob says:

Sad that $10 games get more love and attention after sale than $80 games like CoD.

• Rowsdower says:

Sad or rather a testament to the indifference of AAA title churning factories

• Sigh says:

Booooooom…Headshot!

• trjp says:

In fairness, if COD released with almost totally non-functional network play I think it would have been patched a bit quicker too.

In fact the sheer speed of this patch suggests to me it was already done and they were just awaiting the release version to go live before they pushed it out…

p.s. Steam, unlike GFWL/XBL, doesn’t make developers do a massive (and costly) QA run for EVERY SINGLE CHANGE which means developers avoid putting out small fixes and bottle them up into one massive fix…

• Jeremy says:

If that was the case, it would have been an instapatch at download. Why would they wait until everyone complained, THEN put out the patch? No company in the world would hold back a patch that fixes a bunch of network issues.

19. Donut says:

This game is the best game.

We were having a few problems to start with. The game menu decided to not show up properly a few times (it was pitch black, could still click on things) but that disappeared after restarting steam. Then getting into a game (4 of us all together) there were lag issues and animation problems. Then there were a few issues trying to recreate a game (people not able to join, invites crashing games) but, once again, restarting steam solved this.

GOOD LORD. I say, GOOD LORD! When we all got in and the game worked it was MARVELLOUS. I have been driven to RANDOM CAPITALISATION of my words.

Goodness.

Gracious.

The best game.

20. LionsPhil says:

Attempt to play demo on gaming machine: flickers of a book on an otherwise black screen, followed by a purple screen.
    Attempt to play demo on laptop which can handle TF2: Nothing. Nada. Not even a flicker of a window or an error message.
    Also on both systems the DirectX redistributable throws an error from being invoked incorrectly during Steam’s obnoxious little “suddenly installing things without asking and the cancel button just hides the window” phase (but since it’s for an older version than is installed, that’s not the problem).

Sounds like good game design, but they’ve botched execution so hard I can’t even find out.

21. Vinraith says:

Does anyone know why a Paradox published game is locked to Steam? That one caught me by surprise.

• trjp says:

They’ve always claimed there will be a non-Steam version – it’s just not here yet, is all.

Perhaps they had a commitment to release at a certain date with GG/Steam but are actually going to fix it before releasing it themselves? :)

Meanwhile Steam has eaten no babies and is wonderful – stop resisting it’s cuddly goodness…

• MeestaNob says:

It’s on Steam cause GabeN cast FIRE+WATER+FIRE+WATER+ACHIEVEMENTS

• Vinraith says:

@trjp

No resisting involved, I already bought it, I was just surprised to see a Paradox-published Steam exclusive. I’m glad there will be a non-Steam version as well, it’s always good to have options.

My main irritation is that there’s no way to set up a private game, actually, at least not that I can find.

• Wilson says:

@Vinraith – Yeah, it’s bizarre that you can’t start a private game. The browser has options to search for friends or LAN, but no option to make a game purely for one of those or to put a password on your game. I would have thought that would be pretty basic stuff, but it’s kinda a moot point for me since the online mode doesn’t seem to work for us at the moment. Had great fun gathered around the one computer, but I do hope they get online working properly soon.

• Delusibeta says:

@Vinraith: AFAIK Lead & Gold was a Paradox published Steam exclusive at one point. Maybe it’s the multiplayer? Use Steamworks as an interim solution to getting Paradox Connect up and running?

22. Hoaxfish says:

I love day zero patches. I always remember Guild Wars’ … anyone attempting to walk forward would crash their client, so people tried stuff like walking backwards etc. Turns out it was the foot-prints or sound code that was bugged. They fixed it about five minutes after I’d first logged into the game.

• tanith says:

I remember X3. I, along with many other people, preordered that game and some even got it on the evening before the official release for the preorders (estimated date of arrival of most of the preordered versions) and it was unplayable. You were not able to leave the first sector because the game instantly crashed.
      Fortunately Egosoft are still one of the good guys who released a zero-day patch that fixed it but the game was broken nevertheless.
      I remember finishing the main story but the end was kind of bugged, too and I failed to save before I accepted it so I had to use a save I made some missions before the last one.
      Still, the game rocks.

I think I’ll look into Magicka. Will try to play the demo, at least, tonight. Sounds like fun!

23. Ralud says:

This game is intense.
    If the game runs kind of slow, try Windowed Mode.

24. P4p3Rc1iP says:

Oh man, this game is crazy! After playing for about half an hour and killing myself/getting killed about 100000 times I’m still messing with the controls (Which I think might need some tweaking). However it has this magic vibe of awesomeness. Still gotta try it with friends, but I can imagine it being a lot of fun.

Can’t wait to give this a proper try after I had some sleep.

25. FriendlyFire says:

Is it only me, or does this game sound like it could be incredible with some mods on top? People making dozens of new special combos, adding new elements (hey, it’s not like we’re missing keys or anything), perhaps entire new levels…

I’m just enjoying the game right now, but imagine the possibilities!

26. TenjouUtena says:

ITT: People complaining about a developer supporting a game post release.

• bjbrains says:

ITT: People praising a developer for fixing crippling and obviously documented bugs that should have never made it to release. It’s like praising someone for turning in 1/2 an essay, then turning in the other half over the next week or two.

27. Shadowcat says:

I’m definitely buying this game, and I’m definitely waiting a few weeks before I do it.

28. frags says:

People are reporting that using a LAN emulating software like Hamachi works for coop. For those that have connection issues, this might get you playing coop for now.

• Wilson says:

Hmm, I might try that. I actually have a LAN, but Hamachi would stop random people being able to join.

• Archonsod says:

Wonder if it’s Steam’s netcode rather than the game then. I’ve noticed it do a similar thing in TW when playing with Australians; it’s not that there’s a problem connecting, but it seems to automatically rate it as a poor connection and drop it. Hamachi solves that too.

29. Harlander says:

Funny thing, even when I started the patched version, there was a bit of text on the screen that said something like “The contents of this software are intended only for the recipient”… Weird phrasing of copyright or indication of accidentally shipped preview code?

I need to see if it’s really there, or if I just imagined it… can’t check now, though.

30. BathroomCitizen says:

You know what, I prefer this buggy game over every AAA title I tried. Its creativeness with the magic system kinda reminds me of what made the 90s’ games special to me.

It’s a breath of fresh air in the morning! I’ll gladly wait to it being patched up and then giving my friends a call. I just hope that the community gives the game a chance to redeem itself from the lock-ups and the freezes!

31. DjchunKfunK says:

You know what this game reminds me a lot of, Magic and Mayhem.

32. The Sombrero Kid says:

As a game programmer I really wouldn’t recommend this 24 hour patch cycle, you might think it’s a good idea & it’s good to be seen to be doing something about it but this will almost certainly introduce new bugs as it’s clearly not being tested properly.

• DigitalSignalX says:

Normally I would agree, but it seems as if the majority of the fixes are just trimming up some modeling assets so not really a hard code patch. The real issues might come from the network side of things they’re optimizing, so I hope they’re not playing loose there.

33. adamhepton says:

I prefer it this way to on 360 – there was a bug introduced into Costume Quest in December that they’ve fixed, and tested with a very minor change, yet they’re not able to push out until they release the next batch of DLC (possibly in February) because their publisher won’t pay for it to be resubmitted to XBLA. I would expect most of the issues with Magicka to be solved in a week, at this rate.

34. whollyrandom says:

Clearly, a question directly related to the patch: I’ve found the “Grease” spellbook on the far side of the broken bridge in Chapter 1, but has anyone worked out how to get to the spellbook on top of the near side of the bridge?

35. HeavyStorm says:

Well, now, they are half excused for lauching a half-broken game. HALF.

36. Jolly Teaparty says:

Clearly they needed to call the game half price and release it as an alpha.

• patricij says:

Alpha is maybe a bit strong….but beta? Yes, I think they could go down this route – discount it, release the beta early a la Minecraft and everything could be much better…

37. Delusibeta says:

(Times according to Steam)
    07:56: New Release: Magicka
    11:37: Magicka Updated Released

That’s a damn fast turn-around time.

38. harmen says:

Well, I just bought it since all the other cool RPS kids do. And they seem to actually care about their game.

39. Tom OBedlam says:

I can’t even get the demo to launch :(

40. Torgen says:

Ok, just *where* am I supposed to be aiming at the dragon? I have Grim, the dragon-slaying sword, but can’t get close enough to hit him, and spells won’t connect either. Therefore, I’m spending all my time behind shields and healing the poison while trying to figure out how to actually DO something to him. :(

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

You mean the second chapter boss? Use shield. Not to protect yourself, of course. Make him rush into the curved one when he’s in the open and create a dome when he’s underground. Most bosses have one strategy that makes them extremely easy to kill.

• 2ds says:

Oooh that’s a really good idea, I was summong a earth/fire fireball and summon it on myself while I was underneath him, that would hit him on the head…, I’ll use the shield next time =)

41. erkdoc69 says:

So I got the game and updated it and everything. Now it won’t even let me play. It just says, “preparing to launch Magicka..” then the notification goes away and nothing happens.

edit: k so i finally got it to work and it lags horribly. I’m surprised I made it to chapter 2 with how horrible it is. it takes like 10 seconds for an element to go onto my castbar and that’s if it wants to show up. WTF?!? I almost went and destroyed a mall with nerd rage.

42. patricij says:

/sadface, I wanted to buy it, quite motivated by the demo and the RPS propaganda, but reading it still has connecting problems, I must wait. Because I’m terrible at defeating the bloody boss in the forest >.>

• patricij says:

but now spotting the dragon slaying guide..I’m tempted again, DARN you…
      And now I’m saved..for a while, because I got my Crasher beta key, thanks! ^^

43. oxymelum says:

Is it just me or is Chapter 3 hard as diamond rocknails?

44. plugmonkey says:

This game really does fall agonisingly short of being utterly awesome. There’s just so many niggles.

For example:

Fighting what I presume is the end of Chapter 4 boss. 10 minutes into fight, camera pans away to show me irrelevent shot of a door being blown open. Camera pans back to me. Boss one hit kills me before I can move.

[sigh] Return to checkpoint.

I now need to quit to get back to work.

[sigh] Return to beginning of chapter.

I know the answer is supposed to be “You’re meant to play it multiplayer”, but with no drop-in drop-out play (that I can find at least) and the networking as flakey as it is…

Man, I really want to keep playing, but as it stands right now, it seems to be a tragic missed opportunity.

45. garythemessage says:

Puh-lease. Video games are software. Period. Bugs are not inherent within different users’ setups. They are inherent within the code. CTD’s are caused by bugs within the game’s code, not due to user’s setups. Sure, some people have unstable machines that crash all the time. I ain’t talking about that. I’m talking about the game crashing or bugging out, and the system remaining stable. I have many thousands of dollars worth of software installed on my home and work computers. Most of it is stable, but even the most sturdy of code contains weakness somewhere, just laying there and waiting for the proper circumstance. Just like Photoshop. I’ve purchased and upgraded that software, over and over throughout the years. It’s great software, but after a few months use, no matter what the version, you learn that there’s just some things you have to avoid – or your program with crash. That’s weakness in the code – not in the system.

Why do software companies patch? Because YOUR system is unstable? Or because THEIR code is buggy? Trust me, if it wasn’t their code – they WOULD NOT patch it. They would not have to. I admit. It’s all very complex. There are a million and more variations to deal with. But that’s code, baby. You want complex code that does a million things? You gonna get code that’s exceedingly complex.

The dirty secret that no one seems willing to talk about is this: modern software has become increasingly complex and finding (and paying) competent programmers is becoming harder and harder with each passing day. I work in IT. I’ve worked in IT for decades. Programmers (code monkees) are a mixed bag. Some of them are brilliant but lazy, some are firebrands but clumsy, some never show up for work, some sit and watch DVD movies all day and never get their work done. And then there are the very few who are coherent, competent and able – but they’re gone because somebody else offered them a company parking space, more money, more bonuses, and 2 hour paid lunch breaks. Trust me. I’ve been there and dealt with it for years. It is very difficult to get programmers to stay and stay focused. With teams constantly shifting and changing members, projects suffer horribly. The complex code is butchered and mishandled. And the CEO’s, CFO’s, Presidents, Project Managers, etc. usually know nothing about programming, so they make decisions that further butcher and mishandle the project.

Blame the companies who sell the code – not the end user. The end user is innocent of all charges. The paying, suffering user is at the very bottom of the equation. Don’t blame the “5,” blame the 2+2, better yet, blame the individual who wore “2+2″ when trying to derive the “5.”

• Soon says:

I’m not sure where anybody has contradicted what you’re claiming (but maybe they do all the time). That’s generally understood to be what they mean, isn’t it. Something in their code doesn’t like the setup, not “haha, that’s your problem”.

Not to mention software doesn’t run in isolation and the hardware doesn’t do much without the software. It all has to run together.

Comment on this story