Play The Men Of War: Assault Squad Demo

By Jim Rossignol on February 16th, 2011 at 9:55 am.

There are tiny heroes down there
This is excellent news! There’s a demo available for the new Men of War game (out Feb 25th) and you can get it here. It’s not really clear which level the demo is, but I am guessing it’s the first one, where the USA attacks a Japanese fortified position. I played it last night, in fact, because I have a build of the full game. Related to that last fact: a big old bit of writing is coming up. You’ll be able to read it soon.

EXCITING UPDATE TO ORIGINAL STORY: You can’t use that link if you have the game pre-ordered on Steam, for some reason, so go here if you want the standalone demo.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. coldvvvave says:

This demo needs some kind of tutorial.

I jumped into multiplayer and had no idea what to do, it’s like DoW 2 with 500 units, direct control and inventories.

• RadioactiveMan says:

Thats pretty much par for the course :) Get stuck in, and be ready and willing to take casualties… because you’ll probably take a lot!

For me, the Men of War games always highlighted the idea that ten poorly placed soldiers are less valuable than one who is handled properly- its not about how many you’ve got, its about how you use them. In my case, I can only ever keep tabs on a small handful of units. I simply can’t be bothered to think and click fast enough to keep all of my men operating at their maximum potential. The result is that 80% of my force typically gets slaughtered due to poor commands on my part, while the remainder do quite well because they are few enough that I can manage them properly!

• Stitched says:

And that’s why I am not really a fan of this game. It forces you to micromanage to ridiculous detail.
      Why do I have to switch the stance of my troops manually?
      In CoH, if your guys are under machine gun fire, they hit the dirt and try to crawl to cover.

Why do missile troops, when ordered to attack a tank, run directly at it and stand there 30 feet away before firing?

Why do reinforcements have to appear at the beginning of a map and not at the nearest held CP ? Kind of stink where you are near the end of the map and they have to heel-toe express from the opposite end.

Maybe they want you micro because it’s cheaper than writing AI routines? I don’t know.

I think if they removed all the micro, or at least had the options to turn that stuff off, the game would a fun, solid RTS. When I saw the keyboard map at the loading screen for the demo, I went “oh crap, here we go” and knew I was in for micromanaging hell.

2. Theory says:

I am *loving* Men of War right now. Bounced off it at first, but a few months on I’ve come back and it’s clicked.
    I’m intrigued by Assault Squad’s “AI that really fights back”, which may be a first for single-player RTT. (Traditionally the AI has been docile, with the challenge coming from numbers and positioning being stacked heavily against you.)

• Jim Rossignol says:

Yes. Playing on hard, 3 of us co-op vs AI ended up losing a map completely. It was awesome.

• Wilson says:

Yeah, the coop skirmishes are amazing. I’m amazed no one has done anything similar in RTS before. I’m looking forward to the game very much.

• Baka says:

From what I’ve read, AI War is pretty similar, no?
      How much Skirmish Maps are gonna be there in the final release by the way? After lots of co-op replays of the original Men of War maps and Assault Squad Beta skirmishes I’m not really sure if this warrants a first day buy despite me loving every single replay of them.

• Jim Rossignol says:

There appear to be 15 maps total, making it as big as a normal SP campaign. Bigger, probably.

3. dartt says:

A note for people who have pre-ordered: Due to the way Steam works, you can’t download a demo when you already have the full game on your account. And due to the beta access system, Steam considers having a MOW:AS pre-order to be equivalent to having the full game.

If you want to play the demo, you’ll have to grab it as a separate executable; I’m using Big Download.

4. derf says:

A no-brainer purchase for me. I’ve loved these games since the Soldiers title.

15 skirmish maps doesn’t seem like a great deal to me however.

On the other hand, I have racked up 60 hours on the 3 beta maps alone :O

5. feffrey says:

I want to like it but little things keep annoying me.
    I like the whole being able to micromanage things from being able to choose what hats I want my guys to wear, but i don’t want to micromanage everything all the time.
    Like when I have mortars and I tell them to move, they don’t auto pack up their guns and move, I have to tell them to pick up their tube, move into position, then unpack it, then they can blow that machine gun position that just killed half my guys. Yes that is a small thing, but small things seem to annoy me to no end.

• dartt says:

feffrey, you can give mortars and other deployed weapons a quick redeployment command by right clicking on a new position and dragging in the direction you want the weapon to face. When you release the right mouse button, the weapon will pack up, move and redeploy in the new position.

• PleasingFungus says:

Double right-clicking will also force them into movement mode. (Double-right click is generally useful; it makes infantry run and vehicles hetz.)

6. TheGameSquid says:

Here’s hoping the voice acting will be AT LEAST AS GOOD as in the original game! And all maps should be filled to the brim with small houses to tear apart with tanks!

• Jim Rossignol says:

There’s actually pro voice acting this time around, so no crazy accents.

• dartt says:

Something I actually find hilarious is that while the voice acting is professional, the dialogue that is spoken doesn’t seem to have quite been translated properly in to English or don’t quite seem appropriate for the situation.

The soldiers will shout things like “Aim is in the reach zone!” when an enemy comes in range or a British soldier might cry out “Rascals!” as he gets riddled with machine gun bullets.

On the other hand, I’m no military man so perhaps I’m just unfamiliar with the terminology.

Rascals!

• Andrew Dunn says:

Shoot his ass A4!

• PleasingFungus says:

“Things will get easier now!” became a group catchphrase after the first open beta. We were very sad that they’d replaced it with a set of rather less silly-sounding messages in the second.

(The joke, of course, was that things only ever got harder.)

7. Grape says:

I really, really wish they could have explained jack shit in the demo. How hard can it be to include something resembling a tutorial? I’ve completed the first demo mission, and so far, it looks like a lower budget CoH-clone with an Inventory-system. It’s probably a lot better, but how can I tell when the game DOESN’T FUCKING TELL ME ANYTHING?