ROAR: First Jurassic Park Trailer Stomps In

By John Walker on February 18th, 2011 at 8:26 am.

doyouthinkhesawus

The first trailer for Telltale’s Jurassic Park game has appeared. This is the first time we’ve seen game footage, albeit seemingly mostly cutscene, of a title that’s certainly surprised people. How will the episodic adventure people handle a license that seems to be so action orientated? Well, for starters, with a look that’s completely new for their projects. This is the first time we’ve seen something that isn’t heavily cartoonish. And for seconders, it’s a third-person adventure.

According to information mentioned last month in some frightening US magazine, while the game isn’t to be a shooter or anything so overtly action, it’s also not in the mold of Telltale’s usual games. The trailer below demonstrates this pretty well – it certainly has a very different feel.

Telltale have apparently compared its approach as similar to the PS3 David Cageathon, Heavy Rain, with puzzles alongside quicktime challenges. It’s due out in April, so hopefully we’ll have some clearer ideas of how it will all work by then.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Shadram says:

Please, please don’t let it be shit.

*watches trailer*

Oh.

2. Tetragrammaton says:

Quality voice acting. I love adventure games and JP but……..

3. Cael says:

I’m excited about this, I’m glad they’re trying something different in terms of gameplay.

4. SpaceAkers says:

Jurassic Park is potentially my favorite movie of all time. This doesn’t mean I think it’s the BEST movie or anything so dont flame me, I JUST THINK IT TOTALLY ROCKS SOCKS.

I’ve never been much into adventure games. The Inventory / Pixel Hunt puzzles don’t do much for me.

That being said, I’ve heard Telltale game’s are a bit more casual than some crazy hardcore adventure games, so if this turns out any good I WILL PROBABLY HAVE TO GIVE IT A GO!

HOLD ON TO YOUR BUTTS!!

5. idiotapocs says:

Will they use the original theme song? Doesn’t seem so, unfortunately.

6. Man Raised by Puffins says:

Man, they really need to get someone in for sound design. That T-Rex sounds like its swallowed a 30s car horn.

It’s certainly going to be interesting to see how well Telltale manage this far out of their comfort zone.

• TWeaK says:

I thought it was a perfectly realistic T-Rex sound, only it was the sound of it gargling after brushing its teeth. T-Rex’s have excellent dental hygene, don’tcha know

7. Thirith says:

I’m not the biggest fan of Telltale (they’re okay) or Jurassic Park (it’s definitely got some great moments, but it’s also got some pretty bad Spielbergisms), so I don’t care that much either way. The one thing that I’m curious about, though, is this: Telltale’s games so far haven’t been about big production values. The graphics have been functional but not great. The different titles have all felt ‘made-for-TV’, so to speak, whereas Jurassic Park *needs* to be cinematic. If it feels too small scale, it won’t be JP. It’ll be interesting to see whether Telltale can pull this off.

8. TheBlackBandit says:

Well, the dinosaurs look okay.

9. Sunjammer says:

Man, I dunno. I don’t think Telltale is the right company for this license.

10. Corrupt_Tiki says:

Love the alt-text for these dinosaur related articles :3

11. Monchberter says:

Wow, looks like it’s made in the original Cryengine. And why is Vasquez from Aliens in it?

12. whaleloever says:

OMG

It looks like a series of pre-rendered cutscenes from a 90s game.

13. StingingVelvet says:

I have to agree with the general tone of the internet today that this does not seem to be a good fit for Telltale. Back to the Future and all the Lucasarts revivals? Yes. The newly announced Fables license? That sounds excellent honestly and like a perfect fit.

This though? Eh…

The Heavy Rain style? Eh…

I’m just not enthused, and unlike Back to the Future I just don’t see it as a good fit for Telltale, which means I will need a demo or something to commit.

• Rikard Peterson says:

A good fit? I approve of them trying to do something that’s not typical Telltale.

If they’re up to the task remains to be seen, though. I’m not impressed by the trailer, but I’m still interested and hoping for something good here.

14. StranaMente says:

What I grew on dislike about telltale is the muted palette of colors they use. Everything seems made by shades of grey or beige. Even in the monkey island series, they used the muted version of every color. This way it seems real flat.

15. granit tezgah says:

16. Vague-rant says:

Does “Heavy Rain” stylee imply branching plot points? If so, I’m interested.

Actually I’m interested anyway. I’m curious to see how Telltale will do out of (what I perceive to be) their comfort zone. And in any case Telltale seems to have been getting better and better with each release.

• StingingVelvet says:

I think they just meant mechanics, not really story. The whole “running from dinos” thing necessitates a way to die or feel at risk, and their tradition point and click setup doesn’t really allow for much of that. Basically I think they’re just going to have quicktime events and wanted to say it in a better way.

17. Miked says:

Good to see dinosaurs with lightbulbs for eyes. Rarrrrrrrr!

18. Inigo says:

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

19. Shadram says:

The only Jurassic Park game that needs to be made is a remake of the SNES game, but in full whizzy 3D graphicsovision, possibly using a CryEngine. Far Cry, for me, was a Jurassic Park shooter but with mutants instead of dinosaurs (especially the level when you’re above the trees, and the jumpy monsters are taking out the marines below). If someone took that mood, ran with it, and made the TRexes invincible, wrapping it in a big adventure like the old console game, you’d have a sure fire hit on your hands.

20. Mr_Hands says:

John. I can’t get Jurassic Park back online without Telltale Games.

21. MadMinstrel says:

… Quick time challenges. Really? Must every modern adventure game be saddled with God of War elements? Oh well. I guess I’ll pass on this one.

22. fishmitten says:

Wow that looks terrible.

23. MrCraigL says:

Can’t say as I’m impressed really. I love Jurassic Park, but that trailer seems a bit flat in every respect.

24. Turbobutts says:

It has dinosaurs so I guess it’s worth a try. I don’t expect a blockbuster though.

25. Vandalbarg says:

The only good Jurassic Park game I’ve ever played (Out of two…) was Operation Genesis, where you get to build your own dinosaur park. At the time, it satisfied a deep part of me.

26. Bluepixie says:

What is wrong with the T-Rex? Did someone castrate it?

27. Koozer says:

Well I liked it. I must leave now before the hate from this page leaks out of my monitor like a sickly tar and slowly consumes me.

28. Mephistoau says:

Lol. This is gonna bomb so hard….

29. Persus-9 says:

This is the first time we’ve seen something that isn’t heavily cartoonish.

What about their CSI games? I’ve not played any of them (thank goodness) but they don’t look cartoonish to me.

30. WJonathan says:

I was going to say that the man in picture 1 should be wearing safety glasses, but then again if he’s the Triceratops Whisperer it would be a betrayal of trust.

31. bill says:

How many teams do telltale have to be working on all these episodic games?

Anyway, they must have reached the point where they can do a “telltale channel” monthly subscription where you get access to all their games.

32. BrendanJB says:

Hmmmm. That….. hmmmm.

I was extremely excited up until now.

But I will reserve judgement for a gameplay trailer.

33. Wulf says:

I can’t help but agree in regards to the sound. I really hope that that’s just a placeholder. The dinosaurs look pretty decent, but after Primal Carnage (*shiver*), this… well… it’s tame and a bit crap.

Sort that out, Telltale. Eh?

34. TV-PressPass says:

Fuck I have missed jurassic park. PRE-ORDER AWAY!!

35. Jacques says:

What the fuck have they done to that poor t-rex?

36. Navagon says:

Videos of the unavailability.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLJjdmzoEnc

There it is. It’s good to see that Alyx has found more work since the Half Life series was canned.

37. BobsLawnService says:

I quite like the way Telltale started off modestly and they have slowly been ramping up their budgets and evolving as they have been able to instead of just swinging for the fences, missing and going out of business.

38. thebigJ_A says:

There’s a video of the guys at Telltale playing some of the game over on Giantbomb: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-road-show-jurassic-park/17-3818/

It’s got some Heavy Rain-esque elements. Seems interesting, but some work is needed on the animations, imho.

39. adonf says:

“The video you have requested is not available.”

40. valentingalea says:

I just watched the Rifftrax for Jurassic Park! What a horrible movie :)

Comment on this story