Tameable Wolves! Minecraft 1.4 Update Out

By John Walker on March 31st, 2011 at 11:12 pm.

ARRROOOWWWWWWWW!

Minecraft‘s beta enters version 1.4, and has brought with it some new bits and pieces. I’m most excited about the idea of a tameable wolf, who can trot about with you, and can even be summoned if he gets too far away. The other big headline in this update is that beds, as we exclusively revealed, will now act as spawn points. I think that’s probably the biggest fundamental change the game has seen in many months, and will certainly dramatically effect how the game is played by many. The full list of changes is below. Oh, and be sure to check out the new Minecraft Store, for in-game items, which I think may have opened a day early.

This is the list nabbed by the amazingly diligent folk at the Minecraft Wiki, Minepedia.

Bobbing has changed
New pixelated Minecraft logo (no longer 3D blocks)
Added tameable wolves
Added Cookies
Sleeping in a bed now resets your spawn position
Sneaking while climbing will hang on to the ladder
Spiders will no longer trample crops
Sheep spawn in more colors, however rarely. (Brown, Pink)
Movement in flowing water is slower.
Flowers and Mushrooms are more common.
Cocoa Beans can be found in Dungeon chests.
Wheat grows more quickly.
The new default hotkey for the inventory is ‘e’.
Wolves will teleport to you if they are too far away from you if it’s not sitting.
Added new block, Locked Chest, also known as Steve Co. Supply Chest, same skin as chest, gives Team Fortress 2 type message box when right clicked, emits light, cannot be broken, can be destroyed by explosions.

And then there’s the new Minecraft Store if you need keys for your Locked Chest.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. boldoran says:

Well it is after midnight now .

2. Ging says:

Clever girl.

3. LimEJET says:

Am I the only one who thinks adding wolves was a bad idea?

• UW says:

I’m not sure, it looked kinda cool but I’m not massively interested in it.

I’ll have to give it a try and see what it’s like. I guess it does sometimes get pretty lonely down in ‘dem mines.

• Hoaxfish says:

It does seem like a bizarre sidestep in game development. Sorta changing it from “wilderness survival” to “dog walking”.

• ANeM says:

Like many of the other features, it is optional. You don’t need to tame them if you don’t want to, but it also gives something to the crowd that wanted some form of companion.
      I’m just glad it is wolves, I would hate to see something as horrific as the ‘Charlotte’ mod get folded into the base game.

• PJMendes says:

I would prefer some sort of programmable AI, who you’d tell to do mundane tasks. Something to the likes of, I dunno, Dwarves, or something.

• Xocrates says:

To be fair, I believe he only added the wolves because he promised Peter Molyneux that he would.

• Gap Gen says:

I like the idea of being able to explore a lag-filled multiplayer cave with creatures that can help me out, given how impossible it is to hit anything with bad lag.

• Harlander says:

Before I googled that, I thought it would be a reference to Charlotte’s Web, and allow the player to tame the spiders.

Then I googled it, and was disappointed.

• Wulf says:

I really like the wolves. Minecraft has always been about doing things that prevent it from becoming ‘just another survival game amidst a mess of survival games.’ Notch knows this as much as anyone, this is why the design is bright and colourful, and why the world is procedurally generated, and why you build your own homes and defences, and why there are fun pet dogs.

This is completely in line with what Minecraft is about, if you ask me, which is supposed to be a quirky, fun, silly survival game. It’s not supposed to be 100% serious. If we want 100% serious then we’d play Left 4 Dead. And to be honest, I got bored of Left 4 Dead before it was launched, but I’m not bored of Minecraft, and I know why that is. Why do some feel the need to make something 100% serious? It confuses me, it’s like they don’t want fun.

And the wolves are a bit of fun. I’d honestly say that if anyone doesn’t at least understand why they’re there, then they don’t understand Minecraft. Look around you, in the game, go on, go and do it, and tell me what you see. Does any of it look particularly serious? Of course not! And randomly adding happy, cute little pet wolves to the process entirely fits the psyche of Mojang and Minecraft. It’s eccentric, fun, and silly. And does anyone want to tell me that Minecraft isn’t?

• apa says:

@Wulf
      One might get an idea that you DO like wolves, even in general :)

4. UW says:

Ahaha, fantastic. I do want a Creeper Saddle though.

• Mr_Initials says:

It would probably just jump into lava to screw with you. Oh jump off you say? No, the creeper wants you

5. Hoaxfish says:

Bobbing has changed

Bobbing, bobbing never changes.

The new title looks out of place, it’s not blocky/pixelly enough.

6. Meneth says:

I love that item shop.

7. Xocrates says:

Beds don’t seem to be setting the spawn position to me though.

• Jaffo says:

Same here. Found out the hard way! A long walk later I’m back at my current exploration/building site.

8. CaLe says:

I want an option to disable the day/night cylcle. I just wanna build man, leave me alone and let me build, man.

• Mistabashi says:

If you switch to ‘peaceful’ mode then monsters don’t spawn and you can build to your heart’s content.

• Rhin says:

Just put beds everywhere. if you sleep in the evening, you’ll wake up at dawn.

• sinister agent says:

Don’t even need to do that – make one bed and carry it with you wherever you go. Job done.

It works in the game, too.

9. Hugehead says:

Mods>Wolves, gonna wait until my essentials are updated.

10. Navagon says:

$99 for a name change. I know where they’re getting that from. :D

Oh and does anyone know if the Far view distance option works now?

• Meneth says:

I prefer the $494 for “Response from Support”

• Navagon says:

Ah, but the $99 name change is rather more pleasing to me as GFWL ballsed up my original chosen name during the account creation process by forcing through an update at the most stupid moment imaginable. Microsoft requires bribes before they’ll change names, so yeah. I like that one. :P

• Frank says:

Yeah, GFWL did the same to me.

11. Tatourmi says:

What the hell is that store?! That is just ridiculous!

Please tell me that it is a joke.

• Torgen says:

That’s one…

• Frosty says:

@Tatourmi

I was all ready to get angry until I spotted the “Response from Support” one and then tried to buy it.

Well done Mojang.

• Tatourmi says:

Wow, I freaked out here. In the times we live in I have a hard time distinguishing what is a joke and what is not regarding the commercial decisions of videogame companies. I am glad this was a false alert then, the post-know relief was worth having made a fool of myself.
      EDIT: Oh god, I checked in too, that is comedy gold.

EDIT the secondth: Oh, I checked today’s date.

12. 8-bit says:

I am not sure if I like that it asks you if you are prone to seizures before it throws all the flashing lights at you, kind of spoils the surprise.

13. Phydaux says:

John’s making sure that the NEW MINECRAFT STORE is well and truly plugged.

14. Hrofty says:

Btw try putting in your cart stuff for more than 10000$

15. Wulf says:

Bahahahahahahaha… did anyone try actually adding something to the cart and proceeding to the checkout?

If not, do.

(I see Hrofty beat me to it!)

16. shitflap says:

Right, do the new changes apply to my existing saves?
    I am confus

17. notjasonlee says:

with the sizable team that mojang has now, and the amount of financial backing they have, i was hoping they would be releasing updates more often, and with more content in each update. i did pay for it, so i am allowed to complain…also, i have a knife! get back! back, you vultures!

• Mario Figueiredo says:

You, sir, expressed an opinion. Be ready to be punished.

• James says:

Punish me, too.

This update (the recent updates in general, actually) is tiny and mildly insulting. I could go on for quite a while about specifics, but sufficed to say that I don’t believe Notch is a very good developer at this point.

I own three alpha copies of the game and am running a server from my home, I enjoy the concept a great deal but for anyone that’s followed the development closely the recent falloff of actual development is frustrating.

Am I “entitled” to more? No, strictly speaking he could call the game done right now. That doesn’t change the fact that, as sales and popularity have grown, the rate content has been added has steadily dropped off.

Notch has millions of dollars. Millions of dollars. This is a game written in java. I wish Mojang would stop crapping all over my reasonable expectations.

• Wulf says:

I don’t know. The achievements system and modding seem to be pretty huge. If they get modding in and that system allows me to add tameable, flyable dragons to the game, then I’m happy! If it allows me to modify player characters so that I can add a werewolf system to the game, then that makes me even happier!

And to be honest, the reason Notch stopped caring is because people were self-entitled – none of the updates were ever big enough for anyone that complained. So I think he finally realised that he’s damned if he does, and that he’s damned if he doesn’t. The complaining now is not that different to the complaining about how the Halloween patch was a tiny, worthless update.

People might think they’re sounding reasonable, but considering the history of Minecraft, those who complain about content stand with those who’ve always been unreasonable, and that’s my opinion, and they’re the people who’ve essentially killed Notch’s desire to work by stressing him into the ground. He’s not a bad guy, that Notch, but there are so many people who think that nothing he’s ever done has been good enough. Nothing. So why play the game?

I’m going to defend Notch, here, because I liked the Halloween update, and I like this one, despite it being small. I think the reason that complaints are happening is because people didn’t see exactly the additions they wanted added to the game. And that’s self-entitlement. If it’s not, show me a dictionary and prove me wrong. :p

At least try the new update stuff, it’s actually fun!

• psyk says:

James could you post links to your game.

• James says:

@wulf

I’ve tried it, it is fun. Notice I didn’t mention anything about what did or didn’t go in, I was talking about how much went in.

You’re obviously entitled to your opinion about anything, including Notch’s state of mind and why he does or doesn’t do things (as an aside, I know I’d be stressed if I were him…nothing but hardships and criticisms, eh?).

My opinions are reasonable.

@psyk

Nope, can you? Better yet, can you explain how that’s relevant? If I posted a link to Crysis2, would that make what I’m saying more or less valid?

• notjasonlee says:

psyk,
      you’re stupid.

sincerely,
      everybody

18. symuun says:

I’ve already had some fun times with the wolves. I tamed one, saved and quit, and when I came back later I had two. I’m not sure what that was about. Anyway, we frolicked upon the tundra, my wolves and I. Me punching cows, them killing the cows, me collecting the leather and wondering what the hell I’m going to do with it. And then we saw a creeper, so I started unloading arrows into the thing before my beloved pets could get blown up. For some reason, (Minecraft being the delightfully buggy quirky game it is, one of the arrows vanished before it hit the creeper, and reappeared a moment later. Travelling in the opposite direction. Ouch. I finished off the creeper, but my wolves were still in attack mode. They were attacking me. I think that when that arrow turned itself around in midair and hit me, the wolves realised I’d designated a target and rushed into the fray to help me by killing the terrible enemy at which I’d pointed them. Which was, er, me. I had to put them down, and I haven’t seen any wolves since. I’m not sure the game trusts me to have pets any more.

19. Stranglove says:

I’m having real problems with framerate (Only after the update), I’m only getting about 1 – 2 FPS at most, which is rather odd for a game that runs incredibly fast usually.

20. Chalky says:

OK, I’m going to say it – this isn’t a very good update. It adds one mob and has a couple of tweaks, but it took a month to release. The wolf is only in game because he promised someone at a convention that he could have a pet dog in minecraft. The cookie is only there as a random joke on twitter.

The meat of this update was meant to be the achievement system, which was more work than they expected – which is fair enough – but they pushed this release out anyway because they “didn’t want to delay it any longer”? Delay what any longer? One mob??

I have a horrible feeling that the reason they pushed this update out without the actual content that it was meant to contain is because they had such a hilarious april fools joke lined up. I certainly hope that’s not the case, because dropping basically all of the content from your patch for one joke is nuts.

I hope they finish the achievement system in the next week then release an update with it in, rather than waiting another entire month to release the content that should have been in the 1.4 patch because they just HAD to get the patch out for april 1st.

• Maldomel says:

I think the other updates for the patch (wolves, cookies,..) were ready so they decided to release it and add the joke because it was planned all along.
      I still hope the achievement system will be out soon too, but I prefer a little delay and a good system rather than a rush to make it on time.

• Wulf says:

Some gamers I just completely can’t understand because of what I feel is their incredible wrongitude, and I’m getting that feeling here, because I thought this was a bloody great update! There are a few points of contention:

1. Are we doing the entitlement thing again?
      2. Listening to the community is bad?
      3. They’re working on modding, I’m expecting that soon, but the wolves were an unexpected treat.
      4. Is this different to how any other Minecraft patch has been handled?
      5. What were you expecting? New gameplay modes?
      6. Wasn’t this released pushed early to test that the achievements back-end wouldn’t break anything?

And finally: They didn’t just have to get it out for April 1st, as Notch has been talking about this for a while, and wanting to get it out (around various places, such as Twitter). And I don’t think there’s any harm in a small update, to be honest. I really think that the wolves add a hell of a lot to the game – you’re no longer traversing the world alone, now you’re doing it with a pack of canine buddies.

I thought this was a great patch!

• Kaira- says:

Yeah, I feel pretty much the same. And because everybody likes to whine about how complainers have entitlement issues, let me just say this – I have gotten my money’s worth already, but I’d love to see so much more in the game. But if the current update style continues, and if Minecraft really comes out before the end of 2011, it’s going to let me down big time. Like for reason – why was the bed-thing split into two updates?

Also, I’m just going to leave this update calendar here, everyone can draw their own conclusions from it.

• Chalky says:

@Wulf – this isn’t an entitlement thing. It’s not that I think I deserve better than this personally, it’s that I know notch is better than this and I cannot fathom the logic of his update schedule.

This update boils down to one mob. And yeah, sure, that’s a neat addition – but it’s not a month’s worth of work from a team of people. It’s maybe a week of work from one person. And the bug fixes and tweaks are a couple of hours of work.

There’s nothing wrong with small updates if they supplement the large beta patches, but when the small updates ARE the beta patches then something has gone wrong. It’s reasonable that the achievements system might need further testing and tweaking, but there was no reason to rush this update out since it’s just fluff. If you’re going to go for the “less frequent, bigger updates” patch model then you have to do both those things.

• Urael says:

No, this clearly IS an entitlement issue. If you don’t like that updates have slowed down, f*ck off and go play something else instead. PLEASE. Because I, for one, am sick of listening to this over-privileged moaning. Notch has absolutely no reason to pander to you – it’s HIS game, and he’ll damn well update the thing as and when he pleases! He’s under no obligations to service your expectations!

That calendar does nothing but show how fucking anally retentive you people are, and how far the desire to crucify Notch for not sticking to YOUR schedule has progressed. And I don’t care if he promised and then hasn’t yet delivered – that’s life, get used to it. It doesn’t mean anything has ‘gone wrong’ – it’s simply the way it is. End of.

I’m sorry for the tone of this post but I’m sick to the back teeth of spoiled gamers whining about not being given stuff fast enough for their liking, especially when an update arrives and a great cry of “Is that it??” arises.

• Chalky says:

By your logic it is impossible for an update to be lackluster or for any criticism to be valid. The term for this is fanboyism, and there is no conversation possible with someone of that mindset.

You start your religion, I’ll reserve my right to say “this isn’t a very good update when compared to past updates and what a team of people is capable of doing in a month”.

I would suggest that you calm down a tiny bit though. Literally frothing at the mouth at the thought of someone criticising your beloved saviour is not good for anyone’s health. Cheers.

• Urael says:

Yeah, I’ve seen of lots of people close down discussion when they realise they can’t defend their own bullshit. Go ahead, label me whatever you want; no-one is going to take your accusations seriously and they won’t disguise your intellectual cowardice.

If people like you and Kaira can’t get control of your feelings of personal injury and disappointment, or your desires to come to sites like this and moan whenever you think Mojang/Notch aren’t giving you what you wantwantwant, or not fast enough for you, then you really need to grow the hell up. You paid less than $15 for a piece of BETA software that has given you and tens of thousands of others more entertainment than most AAA game series, and certainly more than the equivalent would get you in any other form of entertainment, and still you whine that iwhat you’re getting is not good enough, or that Notch is taking too many holidays? Seriously?? You’re damned right I’m angry – it’s gamers like you that are ruining it for everyone else, the majority who can interact with a game developer without behaving like a toddler throwing a tantrum on a supermarket floor because he’s been told he can’t have something he wants.

Get over yourselves you spoiled little brats.

• James says:

@Urael

The irony of reading you bitching about how people are bitching is so thick with sad mirth that I literally just wept.

I hope you find peace someday, culture warrior.

• Urael says:

Pointless comment is pointless and easily ignorable, James. Please do come back when you actually find something meaningful to say.

• Chalky says:

Urael, do you do this in real life or just on the internet? You know, the thing you’re doing at the moment where you’re making up this elaborate series of thoughts and opinions that I’m not expressing?

I said that the update isn’t very good when compared to previous updates when logically the quality of updates should be going up with the length of time it takes to write them and the number of people involved.

It would seem that your argument is not that the update is good, but rather that nobody is able to express any descenting opinion about notch what so ever.

That’s retarded.

• Urael says:

Point to the bit where I state all opinion against Notch is forbidden and I’ll pay you the entire contents of my bank account. Seriously, point to it.

…Which one of us is making stuff up?

No, my argument is that dissenting opinions that stem from a root of disrespect – ie, “Notch is/Mojang are lazy” are completely puerile when you’ve already been given so much. Your talk of “bugfixes are only a couple of hours work”, your apparent confusion over why it’s such a little update when a team has had a whole month to work on it,, you can’t “fathom the logic of their update schedule”, stems from basic disrespect. “Why am I not getting more in this update?”, is the underlying thought behind your original post. If you’re not saying any of that then why mention the team or the time they’ve had?

Then Kaira added fuel to the fire with that stupid chart he/she linked to. Grr.

For the record, I’m not stating that dissenting opinions aren’t allowed. I’m just tired of the ones that come from over-inflated self-entitlement. It’s maybe not as good an update as previous ones, there isn’t as much in this one as there was in 1.3 as I recall, but the point is that’s entirely up to Notch, and coming here asking pointed questions about Mojang’s development schedule – something I don’t see you doing for any other game or mod in development – smacks of spoiled toddler.

PS: I do this in real life, too. It’s kinda my job.

• Chalky says:

I didn’t say Notch was lazy – I said they dropped the major feature from this patch for no apparent reason and it was a bad decision. How could that possibly imply that he was lazy? It’s a bad update because he dropped all the important stuff from it so that he could get out one little mob that only exists because he promised it to Peter Molyneux at some convention.

And I’m gonna stand here and say that it would have been better if he’d delayed the update a week and released the achievements, rather than bumping the major stuff from this patch into the next one, which is going to take another month+ to come out.

That’s my point, everything else is just you putting words in my mouth. Which you apparently get paid to do. So hats off to you sir.

• Urael says:

Okay, now I’m concerned you can’t actually read. I didn’t say you said Notch was lazy, That was an ‘example’. The “i.e” in front of it is a flag-post for that kind of thing; you should watch out for that in future. So no, still not putting words in your mouth, dude.

“The timescales for patching seems completely arbitrary. If he’s not basing your release dates on when you’ve got content finished ready for release, what on earth is he basing them on?”

This is an improvement. Congrats. This is a good question. I like this question. It’s simple curiosity without any implied criticism. Now, surround this question with positive commentary on the things you DID like about the patch (How about the wolves? Did you like the wolves? Baked any cookies yet?) and we’ve cracked it. This is how we respect the devs and show gratitude for the things they continue to bring us long after we’ve paid our monies.

• James says:

@Urael

Funny, you didn’t seem to ignore my comment, you just didn’t address it.

I want you to know that, despite your limited and unbending views, you’re entertaining. Picturing you in the rest of your life is almost as much fun as Minecraft. Maybe someday you’ll relax a bit, but I hope not, as that would significantly lower the entertainment value of your communications.

In short, please remain the parody of a reasonable person that you currently are.

P.S.- Notch is a rich, lazy man.

• Urael says:

There was nothing to address, James. I’m completely uninterested in your opinion of me. In anyone’s opinion of me, actually. But if you want to have a conversation I’m more than happy to indulge you.

“P.S.- Notch is a rich, lazy man.”

You probably think that’s some kind of bait, meaning you’ve blatantly misunderstood where I’m coming from. C’mon, stop trying to get a rise out of me: show everyone you’re more than just a troll.

I dare you. :)

21. bigtoeohno says:

What is minecraft?

• mcwill says:

It’s kind of like a hiccup, but for games journos/bloggers.

22. po says:

Movement in flowing water is slower.

My water traps no longer work :(

I don’t think the creatures sink as fast, so now they can jump out of the trenches, even with 1/2 height blocks around the edge. Time to rebuild again.

23. Wulf says:

Well… I for one dig the wolves. I think they fit the eccentric nature of Minecraft. I have no idea why gamers are so serious these days, nor why they seem to have sticks up their bums, but I actually value a silly, merry little distraction in a game like Minecraft. And those wolves are about the most adorable thing made of blocks that I’ve ever seen.

To be honest, I don’t think that anything Notch could or would do would satisfy some people, but this satisfies me, as I think that the presence of wolves has added something to the game. They’re fun to track down, find, tame, and look after. Yeah, it’s an entirely flippant distraction from the whole survival horror thing, but Minecraft has them! Has Minecraft ever been about serious survival horror? Really?

So I’m pleased by this update. And it’s nice to know that achievements and modding are on the way. I’m glad Notch got this out and I’m happy to see that the aforementioned will happen soon, but let’s not put Notch six feet under with stress before he can pull it off. He clearly wasn’t prepared for this, and the amount f money he has doesn’t change that. In honesty, would I have been prepared for such a random success? Would you? No. He’s doing his best, and I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

It helps though that I actually like this update, but then, I’m not all soullessly serious. :p I mean, honestly, if we’re going to keep attacking every fun thing that happens, then is it any wonder why, as I said elsewhere, we can’t have fun things?

I just hope some of the opinions above aren’t shared by the majority.

Poor Notch.

• Urael says:

On this, Wulf, we are in absolute agreement. Well said.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Well… I for one dig the wolves

I believe, sir, that you might have a preexisting bias. :)

• Wulf says:

Considering that they’re not actually that wolfy… rather more doggy, I’m not sure that I agree. >_> Notch could’ve made it pet tigers and I’d be just as happy. Pet snow leopards would’ve been awesome too. And I’m still hoping for tameable pet dragons that one can ride, even if I have to try and mod that in myself.

• Urael says:

I love the wolves, too, despite thinking I won’t make use of them very much; I wasn’t a big fan of the doggies in the Fallout games either, but that’s just me. :)

I love this ridable dragon idea, Wulf. I think a ridable flying mob is exactly what Minecraft needs for the more adventurous explorers. Although, having accidentally torched my fair share of forests (surprisingly upsetting!) I’d have to be very careful about the flaming breath! Do you envisage feeding it sheep?

• Wulf says:

I wasn’t such a fan of the dogs in Fallout, more a fan of the deathclaws if we’re talking beasts (pun not entirely intended). Though I did like Rex, but I feel that part of that was that I was entirely guilt tripped by his very existence, and from the moment King handed him over to me, I had to do all that I could to somehow make his life right, to bring him some amount of peace. I was pleased when the ending rolled around that I’d managed to do just that, that sort of made my day. But there was no emotion or attachment like that with Dogmeat, they didn’t really make any, but K-9 wasn’t too bad.

As for the dragons, eating sheep would be fun, and gathering them for that purpose would be kind of awesome, too. I don’t know how doable it would be, but it would be pretty damned neat if it could be coded where collision results in the dragon picking up the sheep, so you could swoop down, hit a sheep, then fly back up. Same with cows. Or perhaps even any sort of critter! Then landing deposits them.

Another fun idea would be having dragons requiring differing amounts of gold tribute to earn their favour, and actually requiring continuing gold contributions to stick around. It would actually give us something to do with gold! Stronger dragons would require more gold, but there would be a general randomness element to it.

You’d basically spam gold at the ground, and whenever you pause the dragon would get increasingly impatient unless you pass its tribute amount. If you don’t have enough gold with you and you hang around too long, it might feel insulted and decide that you’d make a good dinner. If you’re too slow with spamming your gold stockpiles that might happen anyway.

So you might end up dead and with a pile of your gold being guarded by a now angry dragon, who probably won’t cool off for a Minecraft week. Or you might end up with a powerful dragon that, by some freak chance, you managed to pick up on the cheap because s/he happened to like your face. (Possibly even as an early afternoon snack if you didn’t keep your tributes up.)

• Urael says:

Hmm. My only concern with the gold idea is that gold isn’t exactly easy to get hold of. It tends to be kind of rare. So you’d do an awful lot of digging or cave-exploring just to secure this trickle of dragon fodder. I like the thinking – there needs to be more you can do with gold for sure (make crowns?) and dragons are classically linked to gold, but practically….bit of a fine balancing act, that one.

Notch has mentioned his idea of NPC villages – I think when/if they get established then gold suddenly might come into its own, as currency for buying all the things you can make, but without any of the effort. Like in real life! :)

24. Hmm-Hmm. says:

At this point, I’m satisfied with minecraft. I have all I need from it and if Notch adds things I like, well, good! If it adds things reducing my enjoyment of the game that’s a different matter altogether.
    My point being is that I, personally, do not consider patches, updates and new content. I just play minecraft (or not) and if there happens to be an update that’s just a nice bonus. Sure, I would like better mod support and better/more (options for) terrain generation and I might really enjoy a number of other things, should they be added, but as it is, I don’t think of the fact that minecraft is still in beta. Had I been bothered by that, I wouldn’t have bought a copy.
    Regardless, the one thing you can expect from buying a game which is in development, is for that developer to keep up his end of the deal. So if Notch were to make certain promises and fail to deliver.. that seems rather unfair (excepting time schedules, really. Things will get delayed). And should he come back on a promise, he should then explain why (like he did with leaf decay not working well for a long time). And I’m not sure if he did break any promises he made, really.

Also consider this: beyond any promises, he can decide how to work on minecraft, when he does so and whether he still wants to do so. Should he decide minecraft is done (aside from a few bugfixes, perhaps) he can decide to cease development on minecraft altogether when those bugfixes are done.

• JuJuCam says:

This is pretty much my attitude. I have plenty of other games to play and I’ll play a lot of them first, but I’ll check in to minecraft when I’m feeling a little creative or when there’s an update and I’m curious. I considered it essentially feature complete when I first bought it about a year ago and played it to death at the time. I’ve definitely extracted my money’s worth from the game and if you feel you haven’t that’s your problem, not Notch’s. I don’t understand how anyone could be so bold as to suggest that he’s not doing his job. There is no worse feeling than working your arse off on a labour of love, then being told it just wasn’t good enough.