End Of Nations: The Metagame Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on August 19th, 2011 at 8:32 am.

We saw the Gamescom trailer from forthcoming MMORTS End Of Nation last week (although reposted below), but there’s also a piece by Petroglyph talking about the metagame (also below) – which is the whole conquering-the-world thing that the game has going on. They talk about how you can deploy anywhere on the map to help friends out in the their conquests, and talk a bit about how that wider conflict will play out. We also learned last week that the game will indeed be free-to-play and so if Dan’s message about the game from Gamescom (which read simply “strong”) is to be believed, then we might be in for a cheap treat of RTS persistence.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Askeladd says:

First post is a spamming bot? That..

Anyway, if this is F2P maybe I’ll take a look at it. Only RTS I liked recently was CoH with Blitzkrieg Mod.

2. Nallen says:

I shall give it a go, being a part time tiny man commander hobbiest. Who is bad.

3. McDan says:

Looking good, although I’ll probably end up huddled in the corner of a map somewhere trying to protect my units as I’ll have grown attached to them because they killed one tank.

4. Dhatz says:

aaaargh fix the fucking sound

5. HexagonalBolts says:

This looks dreadful, instead you should PLAY STARCRAFT II THIS WEEKEND http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?1100-Starcraft-II-weekend-of-play-tutoring&p=27456#post27456

In all seriousness though it does look like an interesting game. I hope they can make the metagame feel integrated and meaningful. I’m dubious about 50 player co-op in a ‘strategy’ game (unless they just meant 50 players in the campaign-map metagame), it’s hard enough to organise a team of two in most strategy games, let alone a team of fifty.

• Dhatz says:

fuck off, its not like SC is f2p

• HexagonalBolts says:

Relax my friend, it was a joke! Thus the ‘in all seriousness it looks interesting’ part afterwards. I will certainly be playing it.

• LionsPhil says:

Given the 51-players-same-map trailer, it’s C&C4-style tiny-limited-armies and no real basebuilding wandering around. Where in a classic, “big” RTS like TA or Supcomm 1 you might attack on two fronts with two forces (while building reinforcements back at your base and ferrying them forward along transport lines—y’know, strategy), in this it looks like you’ll only manage to get enough units for that by teaming up with someone.

Obvious disclaimer: trailers lie.

• Paool says:

@LionsPhil

So it in other words would be a game focused on micro aspect over the macro. Doesn’t sound all too interesting but since f2p no sense in not taking a looksy

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, expectations are sadly low, but “free” is a reasonably compelling argument to give it a shot.

6. KBoogle says:

When did this rts become an MMOrts? MMORTS’s never worked, and not likely to ever work… so yeah, chalk up another fail game from petroglyph. A shame really, them being westwood studios remnants, and all.

7. Wozzle says:

My ears exploded. How can a video sound so bad?

• danielfath says:

That’s not the sound, that’s the subliminal message. Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fhtagn!

Any news on resource and deployment system? I skimmed the part with bad sound.

8. Tams80 says:

METAGAME.

9. BunnyPuncher says:

Thats not what metagame means.

They are talking about stuff thats blatently a part of the game, not some kind of metagame, ffs. Its not just any part of their game either, its the whole thing their game is based on so you’d think they might notice :)

10. buyaquafina says:

I wonder if this will be better than AoE:O, which is pretty fun so far, but for some reason I can’t find the in-game timer, and the prices are a bit steep for me. Personally, microtransactions for me are in the $5-$15 range and a good % of the content was above that.

We’ll see what this can do. From the comments/trailer it looks to be more DoW/C&C4ish which I’ve never played, but will give a try.

11. Dana says:

Beware of 64 player MMOs, they are taking over the world.

12. Hensler says:

Very excited for this game. Kind of wish End of Nations was a proper sequel to Rise of Nations, though.

13. matrices says:

If there is no base-building, there is no RTS. These kinds of games should have been relabeled RTT a long, long time ago.

• Raniz says:

There’s base-building, but since it’s not on the field of battle I guess you’re right.
      But there is areason to call it an MMORTS instead of an MMORTT: a lot of gamers doesn’t know what RTT is.

14. haihaiq says:

i love this game,i hope we can supply for our
    shoping…..

15. eselinks says:

I can’t wait for the new assasins creed to come out apparently it is going to be the best one yet I am going to buy this and MW3.

16. BloodPukeSalvation says:

this reminds me of shattered galaxy (is that game still around?) it was essentially the SAME game as this except 2d, i believe it was a sony mmo too.

im not liking the 5 year old visuals but i’d be curious as to how the game played… trailers are never a proper indicator of how smooth a game will play or how well it flows.

also for those complaining about this not being an “RTS”, i disagree. Real Time Strategy. Theres nothing there that requires base building or resource gathering. It simply implies that its a strategy game, in real time, not turn based. Done.

17. jepraatpoep says:

Yeah so I own multiple petroglyph games that remain unfinished, I’d like to see some patches there before you start anything new. Actually you might want to finish some other games as well that were released before you deserted westwood.

Comment on this story