Bird Watching: The Pigeon Dating Sim

By Alec Meer on December 9th, 2011 at 4:16 pm.

Not my type, sorry

The words, I do not have them. Hatoful Boyfriend is a game about the lives, loves, classes and picnics of young, argumentative pigeons and their pigeon teachers at the world’s only pigeon school. It’s more a visual novel than a game, but you do get to make a few choices and increase your (human, pigeon-fancying) character’s stats and… well, it’s about dating pigeons. And going to a posh school for pigeons. I would imagine that’s reason enough to play it.

It’s clearly one big gag rather than a forlorn fetish, but don’t let that stop you. First you’ll need the game itself, but because that’s in Japanese you’ll then need the English dialogue patch. The rest, I leave for you to discover. If you’re impatient, a poorly-translated video of some of the Japanese version is below.

So there’s that.

Via Simon Parkin.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Teddy Leach says:

Is one of the classes ‘learning to crap on people’?

2. The Army of None says:

Tesla would be very pleased.

3. Dominic White says:

To clarify, you actually play as a human girl, looking for love in an all-bird school.

4. Dan Lawrence says:

You can also read an amusing playthrough of the game by an expert in the genre here:

5. Fierce says:

Damn airborne rats. They do not deserve love. My breadcrumbs are MINE DAMMIT!

Only in Japan…

6. googoogjoob says:

the website has no links to actually purchase the advertised “full version” of this game, which makes me think it might be a troll project

but then there’s also some text that appears (in translation at least) to hint at a release of the full game next summer- but it’d be really weird to release a demo with like 2/3rds of the content this far ahead of the actual game

maybe it is some weird japanese/vn thing

• BTA says:

It has already been released in full, but only at events, which isn’t uncommon for Japanese games like this. The creator’s talked about releasing the full version in English sometime around January.

It’s certainly a “troll” project in that it’s all one big (very funny) joke, but it’s completely real and playable. There’s even a drama CD coming out soon, and the sequel’s being worked on.

7. Apples says:

As someone actually interested in fancy pigeons (and other birds), this looks hilarious and I’m looking forward to playing it when I get home.

8. nimzy says:

Flighty birds. :V

9. Rao Dao Zao says:

Will there be hot chicks?

10. Lambchops says:

NO I don’t want no pigeons!

With apologies to your ears.

11. Kaira- says:

Why, Japan, why?

Why?

• Delusibeta says:

It seems a very obvious target for a parody, and I expect this is that parody.

• Phantoon says:

I actually saw a reference to this on Manly Guys Doing Manly Things-

But I had no idea it was REAL.

• Wulf says:

Why? Because Japan is invariably awesome. Their entertainment industry has been in a stable and non-fluctuating state since it began to exist, and this will continue to be a truth.

I love everything about the Japanese entertainment industry, really. And how easy it was for people to get into independent comics publishing long, long, long before it was in any other part of the world. They’ve got some truly amazing stuff going on there for those who want to poke their noses in and explore.

This also an example of Japan not giving a damn, because Japan is Japan, and thus – awesome.

12. Aninhumer says:

I’m not really sure why the translators called it “Hatoful”. The name is clearly a transliteration of “Heartful”.

EDIT: I’ve just seen the video, I guess the reason is google translate.

13. Paul B says:

Hope this is better then my memories of watching Geordie Racer at Primary School.

14. CaLe says:

Feels less funny in English somehow.

• Voxel_Music_Man says:

微妙なニュアンスが伝わらないし、文化と考え方も違うからそりゃそうだろ。

Blackadderを日本語に訳しても日本人に面白さが伝わると思う?ww

From your comment I’m assuming you’ve played in both languages :P Comedy, poems and lyrics don’t usually translate well…

15. wcaypahwat says:

I didn’t think my night could get any crazier, but now it has. Thankyou, hivemind.

16. Antsy says:

What do you Doo in this?

17. WPUN says:

“It’s clearly one big gag rather than a forlorn fetish…” You obviously have never been to Japan or have even seen the heavily censored pigeon cosplay underground. You should try it; find a Japanese chick to take you under her wing.

18. Krauss says:

Are there any tits in this?

19. povu says:

I have the weirdest boner right now.

20. Drake Sigar says:

Typical Japanese fare.

• Wulf says:

What makes it interesting is that Japan’s typical is so atypical for the rest of the world. I can’t say that I ever get bored with Japan’s typical.

21. Woden says:

As this game was previously mentioned by Manly Guys Doing Manly Things (http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/970) and has now been mentioned by RPS, I may be forced to play it to maintain my membership in the Weird Things That Are Popular On The Internet Club.

22. vanarbulax says:

But surely it’s merely the premier avian school as *you know what if you’ve played it* would call for them to be the dominant form of school….OH GOD THIS GAME HAS ME DEFENDING IT’S LOGIC!

23. Pie says:

This is just getting more weird isn’t it? プリンセスX(I probably shouldn’t mention this) and パカプラス!and this in the same year.

Comment on this story