Gloomy: The Darkness 2 Demo Out On PC

By John Walker on January 25th, 2012 at 11:58 am.

RARGHH RAGGH BANG CRASH!

The Darkness 2, due out on PC on the 10th February, finally has its demo out on PC.

Impatient for noisy, noisy violence, Alec has already taken a look at what’s on offer within on his 360. But now you can find out what it looks like in glorious technicolour, with edges that don’t look like a broken escalator. This also means we have min and rec specs, and a “launch” trailer, which you can see below.

Being a console-led title, you’d imagine your PC should be up to it, but here’s what it’s asking for:

Minimum requirements:

Processor: 2.4 GHz Quad Core processor
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Hard Drive: 10 GB free
Video Memory: 512+ MB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

Oh, and what the hey – have a somewhat premature launch trailer:

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. jon_hill987 says:

“Being a console-led title, you’d imagine your PC should be up to it”

Depends if the developers properly ported it or just used the “shit out PC version” button that is presumably present in the XBox SDK.

2. Network Crayon says:

Is Mike Patton still doing the voice work?

3. Ertard says:

Played it. Works fine optimization wise. It really needs a bigger FOV though, tons of huge guns and arms and stuff on the screen (even if they tried to tuck them away). Like the combat a lot, controls were a bit hard to get used to however. Doesn’t look fantastic if you ask me, even if the comic book style is in it’s favor.

More importantly the setting and the story seem kind of dull. I liked The Darkness a lot, but I’ll wait for judgements on this one.

4. DickSocrates says:

I run all my PC games looking like a broken escalator. PC snobbery against consoles, PC snobbery against other PC gamers. General un-earned sense of superiority.

• Shortwave says:

That was less of a cheap shot than it was just a fact.

In an FPS I find it sort of important to have decent AA as I can’t see anything far away without it.. >.<

5. Lewie Procter says:

I had a go of this last night, it seemed to run fine, although lots of the menu/hud text seems to be upscaled when playing at 1920×1080, as if they have just used the same text as the 720p console version.

lhzr says:

The hdd space requirements above are for the full game. The demo is just 1.35 GB, so don’t be afraid of clicking the download button, peeps.

7. mrd says:

Hmm. Are we not past having trailers that are entirely unrepresentative of the game?

8. woodsey says:

According to this chap: http://www.oxm.co.uk/37880/blog/the-darkness-2-is-great-dont-play-the-demo/

The demo should be avoided. I’d love to know what the hell they recommend a quad core for though.

(Also: I am looking forward to this.)

• Chris D says:

“I’d love to know what the hell they recommend a quad core for though.”

One for each arm?

9. Rong says:

The game desperately needs more graphical options to tweak

• Khemm says:

What it needs is a FOV slider or an ini file I can edit. I mean, the game is unplayable for me. It’s utterly horrible.
      I couldn’t play Metro 2033 either until I changed the FOV to an acceptable degree.

• westyfield says:

Oh, Metro 2033’s FOV was awful. 45 degrees, or something absurd like that. It made me feel ill within 10 seconds of starting to play. Whacked it up to 75 and it was fine.

bear912 says:

Holy crap. I thought you were exaggerating. Then I did some research and found out you weren’t joking. The variable that sets field-of-view in Metro is, I believe called sick_fov, and defaults to 45, unless you do some config tweaking.

That said the number 45 is a bit deceiving, since Metro seems to measure field-of-view vertically rather than horizontally, so the horizontal field-of-view for the game is probably a fair amount larger.

• Shortwave says:

I hear yea’ guys. I’ve been having this FOV debate for years now.

At one point in time I felt like a FOV representative as I spent weeks on forums trying to convince devs to unlock FOV in their games. Whilst half the community constantly heckled me for being “full of it” and that I was lying (And everyone else who suffers) about actually getting sick from poor FOVs.

It took me three months of ranting on the steam forums before some random guy came and said “FOV will be in the next patch”. And, it was after three months and like 50 pages of debate. On the very first page was a dev response but he chose to ignore the thread and it’s other 5000ish comments because ONE person called it a console port for not having FOV.

AND, with that being said.. Despite Mike Patton being involved in this (In theory, yet to research)
      I won’t buy any FPS games that don’t allow you to adjust FOV. I have enough of them that I wasted money on.

• Talamira says:

As odd as it sounds, it seems playing the game in a window increases the games FoV

10. SupberUber says:

Lioks better than the first one, at the very least. This almost looks like a current generation game.

11. iARDAs says:

I believe this game will be either good or bad. Perhaps average.

tengblad says:

I played it up till the point where the Darkling farted and then promptly alt-f4’d. That was about as much inanity as I could stomach.

• Y34RZ3R0 says:

I did the same.

Problem is it’s hardly even a sequel, it’s lost all of its grit and atmosphere that made me love the first. It’s gone from a story of revenge, set in a real world, where Jackie is thrown into madness, to a cliché story of a scarred-faced villain and his mentally deranged sidekick trying to steal The Darkness. Bang in a few slow motion explosions and ‘KILL +10′ pop-ups and it all just seems dumbed down to me.

It might be a solid game, but from what I played, it’s not the sequel I was hoping for :/

• Kaira- says:

What did they do to Jenny Darkness?

• xGryfter says:

While I agree that that scene was far more juvenile than I would like for a serious game but given that I actually enjoyed the way the game felt and played (360 version, downloading PC demo now) and considering the entire demo is out of context (in case you missed it http://www.oxm.co.uk/37880/blog/the-darkness-2-is-great-dont-play-the-demo/) I may still give this a go when it drops below $30.

13. Teddy Leach says:

I am having tremendous fun with this.

• magnus says:

Indeed, though I must admit playing with a controller has it’s advantages as the guns feel a lot more ‘meaty’ with the sound and Vibration at the same time.

14. HardcoreGamer12 says:

i had fun while playing the demo so to me its good and make me want to get the full game, did 2 playthroughs.

luminosity says:

Felt like it needed more Bulletstorm to it. All kills earn you points for abilities, and some earn you more, but combining attacks and environmental objects together in clever ways isn’t rewarded. It was a little disappointing.

• nothingfaced says:

Aye, that’s a good comparison… I could see myself getting a little bored of the limited kill-options but of course this was just a demo so maybe this has more breadth in the full release…

16. nothingfaced says:

Played through the demo this morning. It was Ok at best. PC controls are a clear afterthought to xbox controller input and the FOV is bloody horrid (as you’d expect).

.. I quite liked the first one on dirty xbox but I fear that this has the whiff of shitty console port about it and thus best avoided.

The Sombrero Kid says:

I literally care about this half as much as I want to care about it & that’s not that much, It’s RPS’ job to change my mind.

18. BrendanJB says:

Downloading the demo now. Looks enjoyable enough, but I really don’t get why developers have not yet cottoned on to the fact that PC users require a FOV option for their games. Bad Company 2 and Metro2033 strained the hell out of my eyes until I edited their ini files. It’s not like it’s hard to implement, either.

That goes for other things that are always seemingly overlooked in PC games. Resolutions, windowed mode, mouse acceleration, unskippable intros, first/secondary key bindings, etc. Somebody needs to give the industry a checklist of things required before they put out their PC ports.

Is it laziness, carelessness, or do they really just not understand?

• Shortwave says:

Well said! I’ll try the demo but I won’t buy it without the basic PC features.

• Prime says:

“Is it laziness, carelessness, or do they really just not understand?”

I think it may actually be genuine non-understanding in many cases. I recall when Just Add Water first ported the Oddworld games, Munch’s Oddysee and Stranger’s Wrath, across to the PC last year. LOTS of people complained about the horrible framerate – and it was indeed horrible, full of stuttering and juddering at higher resolutions – when these were original-Xbox era games running on modern PC hardware. The CEO eventually arrived on the thread and then expressed complete bafflement as to why anyone would even want a framerate higher than its default 30 fps! And this from the man running the team responsible for porting the games across to the PC! When it comes to PC gaming many devs (or their management, at least) are totally clueless.

• Shortwave says:

I recently bought C&C 3 Tiberium Wars only to find out it’s locked to 30fps, no matter what.
      I was like “Meh it’s just point and click should be fine” but no, I can’t stand playing it for longer than a few minutes. It honestly really bugs my eyes, ha.. : (

19. best_jeppe says:

I had some fun with the demo. I liked that the killing is somewhat versatile even though I missed how to use your special abilites that you buy. Had some problem getting my mind around the quadwielding as in being able to combinate all the elements succesfully. Will probably buy it when it goes down to 25 euros or something like it.

And it desperately needs more Graphics options and such to tweak. I hope the full version is a bit more fleshed out in the menu apartment.

20. Xan says:

The demo is fun.

Shooting people with guns while your evil tentacle Darkness thingies hold a car door in front of you as a shield.

21. DigitalSignalX says:

I like this trend where we get to play the monster to the rest of the game world’s relative “normal” characters. Prototype, Infamous, L4D2, etc. Seems like an interesting trend in past couple years.

22. QualityJeverage says:

Really enjoyed the first game on the 360, back when it came out. For the most part, I’m happy with this demo. No performance issues, looked and ran pretty much perfectly. Needs a bigger FOV though (As always).

The only other problem was the Darklings, which I found annoying and inane. I had the same problem with the first game, but they were easy enough to ignore for the sake of enjoying the rest of the game. Presumably I’ll be able to do the same here.

I don’t know anything about The Darkness comics, so maybe the Darklings are better there. But I think they’re a completely unnecessary and embarassing mark on a game series that I otherwise quite enjoy.

23. Spaztazcular says:

I don’t really care for the art direction myself. The controls felt decent I guess is the best word for it. The demon arm melee needs much work. Hopefully the full product has some good options and this is just the demo. I’ll not hold my breath though, people said the exact same thing about Crysis 2 look how that went >.>.