Resident Evil 6 Trailer Goes Big on Zombies, Melodrama

By Nathan Grayson on April 10th, 2012 at 10:00 pm.

The latest Resident Evil 6 trailer does not pull any punches. In fact, unless all of this stuff happens within the game’s first five (what would be incredibly confusing) minutes, I’d say we’re venturing fairly deep into spoiler territory. Now, admittedly, playing Resident Evil for story is a bit like calling customer service to avoid gouging your own eyes out in sheer spittle-soaked frustration, but fair warning nonetheless. Also on the docket: volumes of cryptic dialog, Leon Kennedy’s mesmerizingly shiny hair, and a (playable) man who brings fists to a zombie sword fight. No, it doesn’t seem the least bit scary, but Resident Evil 6 looks big and dumb in the best way possible. Besides, we have the Amnesias and Lone Survivors of the world to make us turn on all the lights and jump ten feet in the air when the cat affectionately brushes against our legs. So then, watch the biggest-budget B-movie you’re likely to ever see after the break.

You’ll also note that Capcom’s moved the release date forward to October 2. Excited? OK, now stop that, because Resident Evil’s evil President has elected to steer clear of PC until an unspecified “later date.”

, , .

1. Doth Messar says:

Ziggy Stardust is gon’ shoot ya.

• rei says:

I wanted to be the first to point out how much that looks like Bowie but you took that away from me :|

• Waltorious says:

He doesn’t look that much like Bowie to me… his mouth is all wrong.

2. Khemm says:

I have to admit that Capcom are really good when it comes to “visual presentation”. SF4 was a gorgeous game, RE5 really “wowed” me, especially the suberb character models, RE6 seems to continue that trend.

I miss the gameplay style of RE1-3 and REmake A LOT, but I guess there’s no coming back to that Alone in the Dark-ish design after the success of RE4. A real shame, but 4 and 5 were still fun, so I’m very much looking forward to the PC version of 6.

• povu says:

Lets hope it’s a better PC port than RE4. :P

• Khemm says:

RE5 PC was excellent – looked amazing, ran smoothly, controlled well – finished it using k&m, gamepad felt way too “sluggish” for an already “tanky” control scheme.

• Ringwraith says:

Only flaw is that it didn’t support extra mouse buttons beyond the (now-)standard three.
          Otherwise it even had LAN.
          LAN!
          Remember that?

• uopasdh says:

Well, apparently capcom doesn’t: http://sm1.kr/1GnQ

• Tams80 says:

I kind of like this more ‘action’ type ‘horror’ game. It’s not the kind of ‘alone in the dark’ zombie game I though it was (well the earlier iterations are) and I find this quite refreshing. I can’t think of any other games like it and ‘action’ type games are well done by Capcom.

Then again, I’m not a horror film fan.

3. Vagrant says:

Hey! Some people take Resident Evil’s story very seriously.

I am not one of those people. But I am excited about this, because RE4 & 5 (with a friend) were amazingly fun. Also, 4 was an absolutely brilliant game. I’d go so far to say, it’s the most influential game since Halo.

• Ringwraith says:

5 was definitely fun co-op, but it seems hardly anyone owns it on PC!

4. ZyloMarkIII says:

Hand-to-hand (or other appendages) combat versus zombies. Now available with every collector’s edition of Resident Evil 6.

5. PC-GAMER-4LIFE says:

Moving the console date up 6 weeks is good news for PC it now means we have a realistic chance of getting this in 2012 the previous console date meant PC was a 2013 release now Capcom Japan have enough time to get the PC out for the holidays which is obviously the most lucrative games buying period of the entire year so I am hopeful of PC arriving late Nov early Dec & its already been confirmed by Capcom to be more of the same as RE5 gameplay wise so expect a continuation of that excellent game instead of survival horror based like RE1,2,3.

Same teams as RE5 as well so PC will again be an excellent port using Capcoms superb MT Framework Engine which scales well on multi CPU/GPU highend PC’s.

6. Ruffian says:

Wesker’s son eh? Trailer looks cool. last two games were good fun. more so with friends. Looking forward to this one. It’d be cool to play as someone who can punch zombies to pieces, hopefully the new guy will be playable.

7. MarineMarauder says:

Still cannot unsee the giraffe.

8. markside says:

Argh! VHS! The horror! THE HOOOOORRROR!

9. Swabbleflange says:

This always cracks me up about Resi 6 trailers:

“PC version to follow at a later date”

Like… who are they quoting? Themselves? It’s their own trailer – they don’t have to put something like that in quote marks.

I just think it’s funny.

10. Shooop says:

The real question is why are they still calling the series Resident Evil?

• DaftPunk says:

Thats easy one,because of known name,you know they’re going to sell more games if people know this is RESIDENT EVIL,established franchise who sold millions of copies :D

• Shooop says:

…By being an entirely different game.

• RavenGlenn says:

But, it’s still the same characters, plot devices, etc.

How come they still called the RTS version of Halo, Halo? How come it’s World of Warcraft when Warcraft was an RTS, not an MMORPG? How come they keep calling them Final Fantasy even though there is no link between them? How come the Zelda games are about completely different Links and Zeldas, but continue to call them the sequels to one another?

Heck, by your logic, we also need to question why a Movie would be named the same as a book it was based on. Afterall, one you have to read and imagine things, the other is completely different! You watch it and the actors do everything for you!

Use some common sense and stop trying to look cool by bashing the series. You don’t.

• Shooop says:

Hy-hy-hy-hyperbole from the peanut gallery away!

People have a tendency to call complete sweeping changes in material which include some of the same things “adaptations”. God forbid some people be disappointed that a type of gameplay they enjoyed before is suddenly gone!

It’s cute when kids try to act like they’re mediators. Do continue, I’ll get my camera.

11. Mr. Mister says:

Story feels a bit like Smash Bros Brawl’s Subspace Emmissary: throwing all the charactesr together, with half the cutscenes consisting of “Who the hell are you and wtf are you doing in here?”.

Clavus says:

For the love of god, I hope they dropped GFWL for this title.

• Ringwraith says:

Capcom, not use Games For Winarrrgh?
      What alternate reality are you in?

(There do seem rather insistent on using it of late).

• Askeladd says:

This means it only can take them months figuring out how to patch it playable for coop.

13. NthDegree256 says:

I love Resident Evil 5 so much. I can’t think of many games that have gotten three-and-a-half full playthroughs out of me.

14. PitfireX says:

Ill never understand why you people support this rubbish.

15. urza4315 says:

The story looks appropriately epic, which pleases me…

But MOTHER OF GOD, WHAT HAVE THEY DONE WITH MY LEON?! Why does he now look like Aaron Eckhart!?

16. Kilometrik says:

Guise, remember when the RE games where horror games?
    Remember them, huh?

Well, apparently capcom doesn’t:

**** them.

• Shooop says:

I still remember the first time making to the Police Station in 2.

Those first few piano notes were sheer nightmare fuel.

• grundus says:

The thing is, most of RE1-3′s actual horror came from being unable to move and do anything else at the same time and the fixed camera angles. If they released a game like that now they’d be a fucking joke, wouldn’t you agree? If they tried to make it genuinely scary they’d have to make it more like Amnesia, aka the only really genuinely scary game that exists, which isn’t what RE is about, and it would make precisely zero money on consoles. Current RE fans (i.e. those that bought the last two) would be outraged and classic RE fans would be… Well, I don’t know, I doubt they’d enjoy it much either.

No, the best they can do now is some minor fright, creepiness and gore. Accept that’s what the Call of Dutys and Saws of this world have done to gaming and what ‘horror’ now means as a media genre (respectively) and go and play Amnesia instead.

17. Squirrelfanatic says:

“I need you to fake our deaths!” Quote of the day for me. :)

18. sassy says:

Soo ummmm when does this hit cinemas?

• jaronimoe says:

good one :) had a similar thought at the end of the trailer.

19. One Pigeon says:

Such beautiful hair for an apocalypse. Must…stroke…

20. Calabi says:

I’m annoyed already from watching that trailer. It looks like it has every cliche from the tv tropes website, annoying evil characters that get away with everything because they are soooo evil.

21. liqiqi says:

http://kurl.rs/mx Join the signal booster, take this amazing and exciting opportunity!