The Slightly Less Elderly Scrolls: Morrowind Overhaul 3.0

By Nathan Grayson on July 31st, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

Remember when Tamriel was really, really weird? Those were good times.

Truly impressive mod projects make me want to defy physics. For example, try as I might, I cannot – even with the assistance of a truly formidable thesaurus – recreate the pure magic of an authentic standing ovation in post form. And yet, that’s what the legions of folks who’ve spent five years continuously tidying up each and every inch of Morrowind deserve. Meanwhile, Morrowind Overhaul 2.0 was quite the looker, but I want to frame Overhaul 3.0‘s trailer and hang in it on my wall – something that’s also probably outside the orc-and-elf-free realm of possibility. Even bare walls and pin-drop silence, however, won’t dampen my excitement for really pretty videogame snow. I mean, just look at that stuff. Well, go on now. Do it.

So obviously, the mod compilation – which should be available any day now – is adding yet another shiny new coat of paint, but there’s also quite a bit going on underneath the hood. Ease-of-use improvements, especially, sound wonderful.

“Among the new graphics, sounds and fixes there will be the easiest installer ever made for this package. The first version had a 40 pages installation guide, the second version’s guide was just 10 pages and the third one will have just one, and you don’t even have to read it!”

“MO comes with an handy auto-updater that will automatically download the latest mod updates for you. Despite what you think the Morrowind modding community is well alive and still makes a lot of mods!”

Odds are, it still won’t knock Steam Workshop off its throne any time soon, but – as far as games that only have the option of fending for themselves go – this sounds vastly more convenient than most. On top of that, while this update’s largely dedicated to graphics and sound, the Overhaul team’s still ironing out the kinks on a “Game Experience” compilation as well. Perhaps someday in the far flung future, our children’s children won’t even be able to comprehend an existence in which Morrowind’s combat is pretty much every flavor of terrible. They’ll ask, “Grandpa inferior lifeform who’s yet to evolve to a state of pure energy, why did you hate Cliff Racers so much?” And we’ll ponder for a moment before smiling back and saying,”Oh, no reason.”

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Darko Drako says:

Looks awesome. I never got around to remotely completing morrowind, maybe nows the time!

• Dragatus says:

There is no such thing as completing Morrowind.

• Stuart Walton says:

I’ve spent over 400 hours playing Morrowind. I’ve probably only experienced half of the content. I haven’t even touched Bloodmoon!

• Dragatus says:

I estimate I must’ve played it for over 3000 hours and I still haven’t experienced everything.

• Lekker Pain says:

I played for two fucking years, and never saw the ending! I was carried away way too often (which I loved of course). It’ll forever stay in my heart as the most vast rpg experience ever created.

• Lemming says:

It looks nice, but for those of us who’ve not played Morrowind, I would have thought comparison footage with the original in the trailer would’ve been nice.

• Shadram says:

Imagine the trailer, but with muddy low-res textures, less polygons, and soupy fog limiting visibility to about 10 metres. The trailer has approx. 900% more graphics.

2. Skeletor68 says:

Looks like it’s time to go back and reinstall this mighty beast of a game again…
    That mod looks wonderful. If anyone has used it can you report on how taxing it is on the system?

For pure immersive exploration I still haven’t found a better game.

• Inigo says:

It still uses Morrowind’s creaky old engine, so like any other graphical mod for MW it can chug a little with everything set to maximum. Loading times suffer as well.

• simoroth says:

I modded my Morrowind up the the hilt and it is still far more stable than Skyrim! ;)

• Ultra-Humanite says:

Hyperbole makes you look like a fucking idiot.

• Nick says:

and every post you make in this thread makes you look sad and bitter for some reason.

• exogen says:

Good thing it wasn’t even close to being hyperbole. Do you even know what that word means? Please, save the big words for the adults.

Seriously though, you are a fucking idiot if you thought that was even remotely hyperbolic in any sense.

• Ruffian says:

I’m not trying to be a dick, I promise, but “modded to the hilt”, isn’t hyperbole? I realize what’s-his-face was being an ass, but considering games have no “hilt”, wouldn’t you consider that hyperbole? Cause from the definition: “is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech” it seems to fit. Also I fail to see how hyperbole makes you sound like a fucking idiot. Especially considering they/it seems to be more than common in the English language. Like every other sentence spoken these days contains one.

• RabidOyster says:

That’s an idiom, darling. A figure of speech. Not hyperbole.

• yarnix says:

Maybe he modded the game to add a hilt. Then it would be literal. ;-P

• Ham Solo says:

Well, it runs smoothly on my machine.
      i5@3.75
      12gb ram
      geforce gtx 560

• MachaSign says:

I should hope so. Even with all the mods, it’s still a ten year old game :P

• Raziel_Alex says:

So nice posting your specs just for bragging. It’s all the rage on the Internet.

• Faxmachinen says:

If you’re using irony, you’re a bit too subtle. I can’t imagine those specs being brag-worthy, as I have similar specs on my close to one year old laptop.

• yarnix says:

Yeah, I just built my pc and here’s my specs:

1 TB octa-channel DDR6 RAM
            12 x 512 GB SSD in RAID 0 on top of RAID 0 on top of RAID 0
            quad octa-core i9 (experimental Jedi model) Intel CPU
            6 x nVidia in SLI’d SLI configuration (nuclear powered, ofc)

I get 53 FPS on average, which is rad. Also, nya–nya-nya–nya-nyaa-nyaaaaa! :-P

3. simoroth says:

I want to love the stuff these guys are doing, but some of the things they add really needs a critical artists eye. You cant just jam in tons of photo textures and new shaders without undermining the art style of the game.

I have built my own graphics overhaul that tries to keep the game closer to Bethesda’s original intent and art direction.

Sadly its sitting on a half corrupted hardisk so not sure if I’ll be able to recover it and my 100hour savegame.

4. pakoito says:

Gameplay mods. Fuck, gameplay overhauls, please.

• lexoneir says:

You could always play skryim. Everything so overhauled that you barely have to think. Might be just what you’re looking for. :p

5. The Greatness says:

Yay, Morrowind! I’m a little sad you posted about this but not Tamriel Rebuilt: Sacred East though :’(

6. Jams O'Donnell says:

One day I will reinstall Morrowind and actually finish it. However, I’d better steer away from Bloodmoon because I found Solstheim altogether too pretty and never wanted to leave.

7. oceanclub says:

I’m a good bit through a Morrowind play using a variety of mods (I tried Overhaul 2.0 but unfortunately couldn’t get it to work). Am wondering whether I could use my current save games with a fress install & Overhaul 3.0? (My gut tells me, likely not.)

P.

• Snargelfargen says:

You could try saving your game in a unmodded interior and then porting it over, but there’s no guarantee that it will work. Morrowind is notorious for it’s temperamental behaviour when adding/removing mods.

8. thebigJ_A says:

Question. This, or Morroblivion?

• povu says:

This, so much.

• thebigJ_A says:

Good to know, thanks. I’m curious as to why you’re so adamant, though. Morroblivion seemed like an interesting idea when I heard about it, but I don’t know anything about how it actually turned out.

• Snargelfargen says:

Morroblivion uses Oblivion’s levelling system which is definitely not the greatest. As well, Bethesda’s lawyers said no to importing assets from Morrowind to Oblivion, so the textures and meshes are all modded and of varying degreees of quality, and there is no voice acting from the original game (not that there was much of it to begin with).
          Worse, a lot of content isn’t available because of engine restrictions, a lack of animations or some other reason. This includes medium armour, spears and some of the more interesting spell types such as blind and jump.

Still a neat idea, but a lot was lost in the translation. Probably more fun to to play a modded Morrowind in the end.

9. Driveshaft says:

Is Morrowind worth the time of someone who loved Skyrim but couldn’t get into Oblivion?

• thebigJ_A says:

• sinister agent says:

To be honest, it doesn’t really compare to Skyrim in any significant way outside the setting. They’re vastly different. Even Oblivion is drastically different in several important ways.

BUT. Despite all that, I’d still say it’s worth giving a go. It’s quite unique, the world is lovely to explore for a while, you’ll probably get a fair bit of play out of it before the illusion breaks, and of course, you may find you completely disagree with me and find whatever it is about the game that so many people seem to love.

• Stellar Duck says:

“Morrowind’s world is fantastic. As a game, it’s incredibly tedious, annoying, and utterly dead. Combat is atrocious, levelling is broken, there’s no sense of anything ever happening more than 5 metres from your position, characters stand motionless in the rain 24/7, and the game is a master of softly promising you that it’ll become amazingly fun any minute noew, if you just grind for a liiittle longer. None of the mods have really satisfactorily addressed some of these issues.”

So… it’s a Bethesda game? You could replace Morrowind with Skyrim in that paragraph and it would still hold true.

• sinister agent says:

Come off it. Morrowind’s combat, AI, and levelling are many orders of magnitude’s worse than Skyrim’s.

• NathanH says:

I prefer Morrowind’s levelling system, it feels like I pick a character type and then optimal play and progression is based off this choice. In Skyrim I can’t really pick a character type. I can decide “I’m going to concentrate on destruction”, say, but at pretty much any point I’d be better off saying “sod that” and start hitting things with swords.

• Eversor says:

I believe what the poster was trying to say with “It’s a Bethesda game” was that it’s a game where it’s the atmosphere and feel of the world to explore that grips you, not the gameplay mechanics.

• Doesn'tmeananything says:

Skyrim’s stat system and, in turn, so-called levelling are severely limited which means that these aspects are incredibly easy to control. Obviously, player agency with regards to character building and interacting with the world are reduced to practically nil. So, are you saying that just by a very dubious virtue of being closed, rigid, and restrictive Skyrim is a better game than Morrowind, where, due to a much more open nature of the game and after carefully studying the intricacies of its system, you could jump over mountains or beat the final boss in 5 minutes since you started a new game?

Conversely, you may not push the boundaries so much, and the game plays like an inferior version of Daggerfall which is still okay.

When did ‘allowing’ became synonymous with ‘broken’?

• malkav11 says:

Worse, yes. Many orders of magnitude worse? Not really. The combat’s most significantly different for melee characters, but it’s still pretty much a clickfest in any of the Elder Scrolls games. The improved physics engine of later games does make it -feel- more impactful, though, even if it’s not actually all that different. Morrowind does lack the Radiant AI system, but that’s again more of an immersion thing than a gameplay thing – the AI does not move around on its own schedule or do ambient conversations, but it’s not any worse at dealing with combat or being stolen from or any of the gameplay-relevant functions as far as I could tell. And while I definitely prefer the perk tree approach of Skyrim, the skill advancement works the same otherwise, just a larger variety of skills and it’s much easier to turn cash into skill advancement. And of course, Morrowind has its own gameplay advantages that they’ve taken away in subsequent Elder Scrolls games, like levitation, immersive fast travel (in the form of teleport spells, giant insect taxis, etc instead of just clicking a map spot), a truly robust and flexible enchantment system, towns that are part of the game world instead of a separate zone, etc.

• Stellar Duck says:

My point is that you’re quite right that the levelling in Morrowind is weird/broken and the world is dead and nothing happens that isn’t caused by the player. All true. But also all true in Skyrim. While you can’t corner yourself levelling in Skyrim the game breaks completely at some point. And nothing will happen if not for the player. For all the fancier graphics in Skyrim it’s still a Bethesda game and it’s still completely dead/static and it shows as soon as the shine wears off.

• gritz says:

It’s also worth noting that Morrowind has the best writing and the best characters in the series. Nothing in Skyrim (much less Oblivion) compares to the awesomeness of Vivec and his/her trippy esoteric 36 Lessons.

Throughout the game, there’s a pervasive sense that you will never get an honest and reliable account of the ancient history that informs and motivates your quest. While you never really get to play for “the other side” (without mods), the ambiguity allows your blank-slate character to have any number of motivations without making any of those personal choices feel generic or tacked on.

• Mattressi says:

I would hesitantly say “yes”. If you liked Skyrim for the great gameplay, you likely won’t enjoy Morrowind at all, unless you find a decent combat mod. If you liked Skyrim for it’s…the only word I can think is “interestingness”…then you might like Morrowind. Oblivion just seemed hollow to me, but I loved both Morrowind and Skyrim. Morrowind still lacks many things that Skyrim has, though it also has a few things that Skyrim doesn’t have. I think Morrowind’s a really great (if flawed, in some areas; though possibly it is fully fixed by mods now) game, but it doesn’t seem to suit everyone’s tastes.

• The Random One says:

If you liked Skyrim for the great gameplay, please tell me more about the alternative reality you live in.

• Mattressi says:

I enjoy roleplaying (much more possible in Skyrim) and interesting mechanics (unlike Morrowind’s stale combat). Sorry for not being a TES hipster.

• CrookedLittleVein says:

CrookedLittleVein’s Law: As a discussion of TES grows longer, the probability of someone labelling someone else a hipster approaches 1.

• Xari says:

Ah, mouse-clicking over and over again with no stats affecting chance to hit features more interesting mechanics than one based on stats and luck. I see.

• Mattressi says:

Crooked, I’d say your law only works because whenever someone mentions how they like Skyrim, someone else always feels the need to jump in and tell them how wrong they are. It’s one thing to say “I don’t feel the same as you”, it’s another to flat out say that they’re wrong.

Xari, “ah, mouse clicking over and over again to land one hit every ten clicks features more interesting than blocking, special moves, and varied attacks (not to mention magicka which regenerates)”.

I love Morrowind and have since it came out. But that doesn’t mean I have to hate every sequel that is different to it. Oblivion was ok, but Skyrim is a great game. Maybe if your idea of roleplaying is playing the role of a calculator, you will enjoy Morrowind a little more (but, I mean, you would probably also prefer Daggerfall more and hate on Morrowind, and probably prefer an Excel spreadsheet more than that too). My idea of roleplaying is…wait for it…playing a role! Skyrim makes that much more varied with new things to do (hunting, leading armies into battle, random encounters, blacksmithing, etc) and generally more interesting mechanics (and no, having 50 skill points in long blades and still frequently missing swings on a mudcrab does not count as interesting nor immersive).

You have a different opinion, not The One True Path to Enlightenment.

• Ultra-Humanite says:

The alternate reality where not every fucking moron with ten working fingers feels the need to use hyperbole on every point they make.

• Knightley4 says:

Well, its funny, i just watched a video, where you can hear, what so great about Morrowind.

• stkaye says:

What about someone who loved Oblivion but couldn’t really get into Skyrim? (Please don’t hurt me)

• Dragatus says:

It’s less likely, but not impossible. It should be dirt cheap by now (I got it for 5€ and that was 8 years ago) so you don’t have much too lose.

• NathanH says:

I think Morrowind and Oblivion are great but don’t like Skyrim all that much. Morrowind is rather different from Oblivion, though.

• Dragatus says:

Probably.

IMO Morrowind is the best TES game because what TES games do better than any other series, Morrowind does better than any other TES game.

Gameplaywise it’s clunkier than Oblivion and Skyrim, but the setting is brilliant. I’d go as far as calling it the best excercise in world building since Tolkien came up with Middle Earth. The interaction between player and setting may be weaker than in say Skyrim, but the setting itself is both more interesting and more coherent.

Another thing in it’s favor is that unlike Oblivion and Skyrim it’s not trying too hard to be epic. There is the main quest, but faction quests are much more “business as usual” without any of the “saving the guild from destruction” nonsense. As such the game lends itself much better to the doing-your-own-thing thing that is typical for TES games. As a result the general atmosphere is much more relaxed allowing you to absorb the world around you and focus on yourself. You’re much more writing your own story instead of acting in a story written by someone else.

• Xardas Kane says:

Very much worth your time. Everything that was wrong with Oblivion was done right in Morrowind. As long as you get pass the admittedly bad combat system, slow initial movement speed and the IMO worst dialogue system I’ve seen in a RPG to date, it’s an engrossing experience parallel only to, well, Skyrim.

• oceanclub says:

“slow initial movement speed”

There’s a mod out to fix this; normally I avoid such cheat-type mods, but honestly it’s adds hugely to your enjoyment not to be trudging along at a snail’s pace (with no instant travel, the game is slow enough as it is).

P.

• NathanH says:

The dialogue system is fine, as long as you accept that the point isn’t to simulate dialogue, but to provide information.

• Xardas Kane says:

And in a game that’s supposed to be a ROLE-PLAYING GAME that’s a bit of a fail, wouldn’t you agree? I did get over it, but damn, did it put me off.

• NathanH says:

No, I wouldn’t agree. There are plenty of options of roleplay in Morrowind, just choosing the exact words you are going to say is not one of them. It isn’t an option in any other cRPG either, because there’s no way to get the computer to understand what you’re saying. Dialogue trees are not really roleplaying. Roleplaying involves the player deciding what they want to do in a particular situation, doing it, and having the world respond to them as coherently as possible. Dialogue trees are more akin to choose-your-own-adventure games. Imagine if you were playing a pen and paper roleplaying game and you weren’t allowed to decide what you said to an NPC, you just had to choose from a couple of options the DM had prepared. You wouldn’t call that roleplaying, would you?

The idea that dialogue trees are the correct or only way to do cRPG NPC interaction is relatively recent. There are lots of options open to you depending on what you want to do. If you want to tell your own story, then dialogue trees are a useful system. If you want to create an open-world sandbox in which the player makes and shapes their own stories within the system you’ve designed, then dialogue trees are not obviously the correct system. The system in Morrowind isn’t particularly ambitious (the NPC interaction don’t respond very much to your character, their skills, and their deeds), it rather dodges the whole issue, but sometimes dodging is better than doing something bad.

In Morrowind I never felt confusion between what I would have wanted to say and what the game made me say, because the game very rarely made me say anything. This is acceptable, although unambitious. A better system would still not let you say actual words, but would let you do things like specify the tone and goal of your interaction, and factor in more character attributes and history.

• DrSlek says:

I hope you also got over it if you played games like BG2 and Planescape: Torment….or pretty much any other RPG from back in the text based dialogue days.

Otherwise I can’t imagine you having enjoyed many video games back then.

10. Mr. Mister says:

What? You mean the Nexus community hasn’t knocked out Steam Workshop yet?

11. MajorManiac says:

Its wonderful to see modders improving the graphics for Morrowwind.

If Bethesda remade Morrowwind in the latest Elder-Scrolls engine (be it Oblivion, Skyrim or whatever is coming next) I would happily buy it for £20-£30. I imagine it would need a significant budget to get all the speech and scripting (let alone the mapping) set-up.

• Grargh says:

If they remade morrowind with complete voice-over, I would consider blowing their whole damn studio up. For all its shortcomings, the huge amount of interesting text is one of the things that make it better than both its successors in my eyes, and this is only made possible by not having stuff read out to you. (And by a dialogue UI not optimized for consoles…)

• malkav11 says:

There was an attempt to redo Morrowind in the Oblivion engine. It was staggeringly ill conceived. A properly modded Morrowind looks better than Oblivion anyway and there are important gameplay elements that did not make it into subsequent TES titles.

12. D3xter says:

But does it have infinite dragons?

Everyone knows the quality of a game is proportional to the amount of dragons in it after all.

13. Bhazor says:

Combat’s still shit mind.

• Stellar Duck says:

It’s shit in all the TES games though, so I’d argue that people shouldn’t stay away just because of that.

Edited due to a bloody typo that made me say the opposite of what I meant.

• Davie says:

Combat’s still lacking, but you cannot look me in the eye and tell me things have not gotten better since the “Axe skill is low so you have to hit the enemy directly in the face with a battleaxe eleven times before successfully doing damage” days.

• NathanH says:

The combat in the Elder Scrolls games is fine, you just want it to be something it isn’t.

• Doesn'tmeananything says:

Looking for a not boring combat system in an action game is bloody outrageous, isn’t it.

• NathanH says:

They’re not action games.

• pakoito says:

Yet almost all in interaction with the world is done using violence. I’m yet to see a physics puzzle. The ones in Skyrim were embarrassing.

• Doesn'tmeananything says:

Games that are centred around real-time combat, which heavily relies on direct player input, can’t be RPGs either.

Might as well look at Mount&Blade, Severance, or Dark Messiah for inspiration, if you’re going to make the player participate in combat most of the time.

• NathanH says:

There are plenty of ways to handle action-RPGs. It would be rather tedious if every first-person fantasy action-RPG had the same style of combat. Games with such a wide focus as Elder Scrolls games don’t need to have intricate player-led combat systems. There is plenty going on anyway. Anyway, it’s not always better the more player reflex you inject into an action-RPG. Morrowind in particular is not really that much of an action game. If you turn off the silly direction-attack feature, there’s nothing much more than clicking in the right direction to the action part. This is not a bad thing at all.

• Dragatus says:

Morrowind isn’t an action game. It’s an “explore the setting” game.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Thank you. Lots of people don’t seem to understand that TES combat (especially pre-Oblivion) was always supposed to be very simple in terms of player input. It’s a necessary evil in a first-person real-time RPG, not some extreme test of twitch skill. People who want an intricate action game are missing the point entirely.

Feel free to moan about Skyrim, but Morrowind and Daggerfall are fine.

• Grargh says:

If that’s the price for brilliant atmosphere, a unique setting and great lore, I would pay it without second thoughts in any RPG I ever played.

• Xardas Kane says:

And here comes the regular “too cool to like any popular games” troll. Hello Bhazor, here’s a tip – RPGs aren’t about combat.

• Malk_Content says:

And yet the only way for you to interact with the world is through combat. If what you are doing for 90% isn’t what the game is about you need to have a serious rethink. There is no reason the combat can’t be better and still preserve the rest of the game. Even something as simple as having weapons collide with everything in their arc, so that swinging a large weapon has a large area than punching.

• malkav11 says:

Sure there is. The reason is that Morrowind came out over ten years ago and the development team moved on. It’s fine to wish for better combat, but you’re not going to get it in this game (and, so far, not in this franchise). People who can get past that will experience a game with an incredible unique setting, tons of worldbuilding details, and an insane amount of freedom of exploration and gamesystem tinkering. Those that can’t, well, they miss out.

14. Kits says:

Just for the record, framing the trailer and hanging it on your wall is not just possible, but really easy, too. Buy a digital picture frame that has video playback (sony do a nice one), download the trailer, copy it over with usb, hang on your wall and marvel at technology.

15. oceanclub says:

It’s definitely worth reading a “beginner’s guide” if trying Morrowind for the first time. At the start you are incredibly vulnerable, and it’s very frustrating when you’re getting destroyed by tiny worms even just outside the starting town. Once you’re over that hump with a few tips, it’s far more enjoyable. Oh, and keep a fast travel map handy (I keep one as wallpaper on my desktop).

16. Ultramegazord says:

It’s definitely the best Elder Scrolls game, I played the original version without any mods so I’ll try this for sure, looks amazing.

17. Kaira- says:

OpenMW (that is, Open Morrowind) project is also coming along nicely, though it is still clearly early in the development cycle. The goals of the project are not only to reimplement the existing game engine to run natively on Windows, MacOS X and Linux, but also support existing user created mods, fix bugs, improve interface and open up the game for greater modability through scripting.

Morrowind truly is one of those games who simply refuse to die.

18. Latenius says:

Morrowind. Hands down my favorite game of all time ever.

19. theoriginaled says:

Im not sure if I really “get” the trailer. Aside from the pretty sunsets is there anything the trailer there is showing us that we didnt see out of a morrowind graphics overhaul years ago? Sweeping views of set pieces with semi epic synth. I think Morrowind is the bees knees too but this really isnt aweing me.

20. JFS says:

Morrowind always looked like this in my mind. Ah, the fine workings of human memory :)

21. MistyMike says:

Congratulations modders on cramming a ton of trees, grass and other lush vegetation, which sure looks very pretty, but the lore of the game explains that since Vvardenfell is a volcanic island mostly made of volcanic rock it cannot host such vibrant plant life.

• Stellar Duck says:

I suspect this will land me in all sorts of trouble, but who cares what the lore says?

Aside from that I heard that volcanic areas are very good for plants due to minerals or whatever.

• frightlever says:

A volcanic island? Like that charred wasteland Tahiti?

• Knightley4 says:

Ascadian Isles. And, btw, there a lot of grass, like on the east side of the island, but it just plain green texture.

• Xardas Kane says:

They put trees and grass only where there is supposed to be trees and grass.

• thebigJ_A says:

The lore of the game explains no such thing. Have you even played Morrowind? Vvardenfell, as designed by Bethesda, has lush swamps, grasslands, and forests. Mushroom forests, sure, but still forests. I’m also not sure you know what a volcano is….

22. grundus says:

I just want to take this opportunity to say that Nathan Grayson is a great name.

23. asshibbitty says:

I like how even after all these years of community fixing shit up Morrowind screens and videos still turn out too dark.

24. Lobotomist says:

Thats awesome stuff…

Now please start doing serious gameplay revamp mods for Skyrim.

Skyrim is such amazing game. Its a bit dumbed down for mass appeal (ok , a lot) But we are given mod tools and anything is possible.

Adding skills , stats , need for food drink , sleep…. anything really.

I am still waiting for some serious modders to take the game under their wing…

25. asshibbitty says:

I’ve said this before and I’ll say this again, hating on cliff racers is a mark of low mind.

26. mate says:

If you are even vaguely interested in this, you should check out OpenMW.

It’s an open source re-implementation of Morrowind, which is exciting as it allows basically endless modability. Perpixel lighting and pretty water shaders have already been added, without the huge hardware tax that the overhaul project has. However visuals are kind of the tip of the iceberg in terms of what is possible.
    Link:

27. Hwacha says:

Morrowind is my favorite game ever. This is wonderful.

What, I’m not crying. I just have something in my eye. Both of them, I mean. Yeah.

28. Enikuo says:

It looks lovely. I never played Morrowind and just picked it up in the Steam sale, so this is great timing for me.

29. TheManfromAntarctica says:

Is anyone trying to make a mod for Skyrim that remakes the worlds of Morrowind and Oblivion?

• malkav11 says:

No, but there are modders working on remaking the areas seen in Oblivion and Skyrim for Morrowind. The Cyrodiil one looks particularly cool as instead of the bland generic fantasyland of Oblivion’s Cyrodiil, they’re creating the Cyrodiil described in the lore books in Morrowind and previous TES games, which is kind of a Roman-influenced jungle.

30. Laythe_AD says:

Honestly… I’d rather replay Planescape, or Arcanum. As much as I like Morrorwind as something to explore, I just don’t think think any Elder Scrolls game ever makes up for it’s lack of decent writing.

• NathanH says:

The writing in Morrowind is good quality, though. I don’t think any game has done as good a job as making you feel like you’re an outsider in an alien land, and slowly allowing you to understand and get to grips with it.

Also, “its”.

• Xardas Kane says:

The writing in Morrowind was just as mediocre as in any TES game. What made your feel like an outsider wasn’t what the text boxes said, but rather the careful way in which the world was constructed. It’s a true testament to Bethesda’s ability to craft worlds, but really, they never have been that good at scribbling.

• NathanH says:

This is clearly nonsense. For instance, compare the old books to the books in the newer games. The Oblivion and Skyrim books are clearly worse. And the NPC interaction content in Morrowind is much slicker and more interesting than the short and awkward conversations from later games.

The game is full of interesting and competently-written text about diverse and interesting places, events, and characters.

• malkav11 says:

I like the books, but I’m not sure I agree with you on the conversations. There were a few interesting NPCs in Morrowind with actual unique dialogue and personality, but really not very many. In Skyrim -every- NPC has at least a couple of things to say that establish them as an individual person and not just a rumor kiosk. (Aside from guards, admittedly.) This is one of the places where modding helps Morrowind out, though – modders have gone through and added individualized dialogue for hundreds of NPCs.

• NathanH says:

Having unique dialogue isn’t at all necessary to create an interesting character, though. For instance, you could create an interesting character that doesn’t say a word, and all the interesting things about them you find out from other sources. It’s still an interesting character and it’s not badly written. As I say elsewhere on the thread, I think there is too much emphasis on “the characters talk like real unique people” when people consider good or bad writing. The goal in Morrowind is not to create conversations between real unqiue people, nor should it be, so why judge it on those grounds?

Now having said that, I can see no reason in principle why personalized responses to each topic for each individual NPC should be a bad thing (as long as they all contain broadly similar information, so you don’t have to talk to loads of NPCs to get info on every topic), but equally I can say that I can see no reason in principle why every decision node in a Bioware dialogue tree should not have 50 choices for the player. Obviously this isn’t practical though, and I don’t scream “bad writing” when somebody does something serviceable that’s the best they can practically manage.

• malkav11 says:

Sure, but most of the people in Morrowind literally have nothing to say other than the exact same responses to the exact same generic dialogue options based on whatever flags are set on them. And most of them aren’t filled in by surrounding source material either. There’s no need to talk to everyone in either Skyrim or Morrowind (with or without unique dialogue mods). The important people for quests and such are usually pretty obvious. But having those extra few lines really helps humanize the people of Skyrim in a way that’s not true of unmodded Morrowind.

31. Shortwave says:

I’m one of those insane people who never actually played this game.
    All I remember doing many years ago is making it to the castle city area.
    Trying to rob and/or kill someone for their stuff, getting DESTROYED and quitting.. Ha.

I suck I know, but I appreciate these kinds of games now anyways, so I’m excited to set this up.
    Going to be fun!

32. lexoneir says:

This is a game Bethesda should play. Maybe they’ll get some good ideas for their next game.

33. Hidden_7 says:

Yeah yeah yeah, Morrowind’s great and all, and it’s nice to see it get all this attention (though the kludges they use to get these graphics are murder on my PC. It’s one of the only games I play that I really got to turn things way down to avoid chug, and then it’s kinda like, what’s the point?) but where is the Daggerfall overhaul? Everyone* knows that Daggerfall is the best TES game.

There’s DaggerXL, but that seems pretty constrained. Where are the bold overhauls which accessibility functions and fancy lighting and new textures, rather than just a slightly nicer renderer? Where’s love for the greatest TES game?

*Sensible.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

What you’re describing would require a total remake of Daggerfall, using almost none of the original content. At that point, you may as well just make your own original game from scratch and sell it. Which would be fantastic. I’d love another game like Daggerfall.

• emertonom says:

By this measure, I am someone who is decidedly not sensible. I suspect these complaints will seem misguided and whiny to someone who experienced the game when it was new, but as someone who didn’t try it until after Morrowind, it seemed like a disaster.

In the starting dungeon I fell through the floor several times (not traps in the level, mind you, but spots where I fell out of the level and into the inky computer void). Worse, the dungeon itself seemed assembled randomly, like something from a dream–after several areas of normal rooms and corridors, I found and descended a grand staircase, thirty feet wide and a hundred feet long; at the bottom was a large blank wall with a single tiny door in it, which turned out to lead to a closet. I decided at that point that maybe it would be better to seek out a town. I quickly discovered that the towns were incomprehensibly uniform–every building and every street looked identical, and there was very little in the way of signs–but at the same time immensely sprawling, so that the merchants were essentially needles in a haystack. There were people everywhere, but none of them had any useful dialogue options.

It was all very numbing, and I couldn’t stand it. It may be that there was a tremendously deep game behind all that somewhere, but it successfully eluded at least me.

• malkav11 says:

Not really. What you encountered was pretty much the Daggerfall experience. As far as I can tell the only people who hold it up as better than later games in the series are really, really into procedural content whether or not it actually makes for a better game. There are are a few things that fell by the wayside that I would have liked to see in later games (like the ability to select flaws and merits at character creation that included things like being damaged by sunlight or being in holy places), but by and large it was a random mess.

34. Heliocentric says:

Wow… Just Wow… I need to buy the complete version.

Comment on this story