Et Tu, Uplay? – Ubisoft Relaunches Its PC Store

By Nathan Grayson on August 17th, 2012 at 10:00 am.

The digital distribution plot thickens. In the beginning, there was Steam, and it was… not great. But it slowly trended upward in its tiny virtual vacuum until it expanded into the empire we all know and mostly love today. And people noticed. So along came Origin, with its EA stamp of approval and not much else – though slow progress has seen it take a few steps in the right direction. And now, surprisingly but also not surprisingly at all, Ubisoft’s clambering into the ring alongside those two heavyweights with an extensive relaunch/rebrand of its Ubistore as Uplay PC. Though the Assassin’s Creed publisher probably should’ve picked a different name while they were at it, given the negative assocations UPlay could be said to have for some folk.

As for the actual purpose of the relaunched service, the idea is to tie all of Ubisoft’s PC games together via social features, achievements, a storefront, avatars, and other typical distribution platform fare. It’ll also apparently bridge platforms, so PC, mobile, Facebook, and console will be connected in some capacity. Here’s the gist, straight from Ubisoft:

“Uplay, Ubisoft’s online services and distribution platform, now has more than 35 million members and is available across Ubisoft games and across platforms. Uplay PC replaces individual game launchers and lets gamers access all their Uplay-enabled PC games and Uplay services in the same place. Uplay PC also includes new features, including an integrated shop, the direct purchase and download of games, a friends list and chat system that add value to PC players’ experience.”

So, right then. Let’s set aside, for a moment, the fact that Uplay is also a rather miserable DRM system that recently opened its doors to all sorts of malicious hacker types (a problem which has since been remedied, thankfully) and discuss what this new Uplay PC actually entails. Disappointingly, it’s made roughly the same opening gambit as Origin – that is to say, it’s basically empty, bereft of standout features, and not particularly well organized. For now, only Ubisoft games are available, and even then, only more recent ones (F2P, thankfully, included). Ubisoft mentions, however, that it’s hoping to expose players to “classics,” so here’s hoping that changes with time.

Organization, meanwhile, is kind of a mess. For one, the store hardly provides any information – only offering a handful of genres and three brand umbrellas to search under, and not even bothering to display prices on the frontpage. Also, some of those genre searches don’t even work properly. For instance, I looked under “Strategy/RTS” and found one game: Settlers 7. However, the frontpage also displayed ads for From Dust and Heroes of Might and Magic VI – the former of which was designated “Action/Adventure” for some reason while the latter was tagged correctly but simply didn’t show up in the search. Everything else seems functional, but only just.

If nothing else, a decently organized link between in-game Uplay points and corresponding rewards could be kind of neat. There are listings for each game’s respective challenges and what you can unlock by completing them – though new outfits and minor upgrades seem to be about the full extent of it. Meanwhile, Ubisoft’s taking gigantic scissors to its store’s “under construction” tape with a series of very enticing $1 sales. Driver: San Francisco on Sunday looks especially nice – with HAWX 2, From Dust, and Silent Hunter 5 registering as slightly quieter blips on the radar.

All told, though, there doesn’t seem to be much here yet. And honestly – given Ubisoft’s spat of recent gaffes, arbitrary delays, amazing inability to communicate frankly and directly with its consumers even in times of potential hacking, and dogged love of closed, obnoxious proprietary systems – I’d probably be hesitant to commit to this service even if it had a bit more going for it. There is, however, plenty of room to grow, and who really knows what the future holds? If nothing else, Ubisoft’s paying attention to PC gamers. Maybe in time, it’ll learn what actually makes us tick.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. demonarm says:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo.

• Ragnar says:

I need another digital distribution service like I need a hole in the head. I already have FIVE! And even more digital distribution services! Enough!

• StingingVelvet says:

If you think about it though selling direct to your consumers is one of the best parts of PC gaming for publishers. Why give that 30% to Valve or that 40% to retail and shipping? EA, Ubisoft and others can get 100% and deal directly with me, just like an indie on his own webpage, and I like that.

The clients are really not much of a hassle since you already have an account. If you ever played any EA game online or activated any DRM on their games you already had an Origin account. Same with Uplay now. All I did was launch it and sign-in, and I got From Dust for a $1. Pretty nice honestly.

• matrix3509 says:

If its been said once, its been said a thousand times. Its simple economics: 60% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

• Universal Quitter says:

Several applications on my hard drive, all needing updates, each one occasionally compromised by so-called ‘hacktivist’ groups, forcing regular password changes which all have to be remembered?

Besides, each service you use increases the chance of your actual credit card info being stolen, which is no bueno. Those sound like some real drawbacks to me, but I’m not a rosy-cheeked 20 year old just looking for the next piece of AssCreed.

• StingingVelvet says:

1) I don’t think it’s been proven by anyone anywhere that sales are seriously impacted by not being on Steam. The biggest PC hits of the last 5 years were probably WoW and Minecraft, neither of which are on Steam. EA seems to be doing just fine so far with Battlefield and Mass Effect only being on Origin, and have not reversed their decision. Even if they lost some sales they likely make them up with the added profit from each and every sale.

In short, don’t assume.

2) You already have those accounts, the client adds very little risk or annoyance. If this was a “now you need a Uplay account” story then that would make sense as an argument, but it isn’t, you already have one if you play Ubisoft games.

More broadly, having one convenient store managed by one overlord is NOT PC gaming. You could argue it should be, or that the appearance it was is what led to a PC resurgence, but I would disagree with you and also add “if wishes were horses…” or some-such thing. Ubisoft should not be under Valve’s thumb, and I am happy to have direct relationships with game developers and publishers.

• mouton says:

Why would anyone care? If you are buying Ubi games at this point, you get screwed by uplay anyway.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

“Uplay PC is a great way for customers to discover Ubisoft’s games, connect with their friends and gaming communities, and win achievements and content that’s not available anywhere else.”

Which is great because I was having a lot of difficulty doing all of those things.

Edit: For more reasons to be excited(!) why not check out this video*? For me the best reason is to download games from work. That seems reasonable.

*SFW, but for some reason it has been awarded an 18 cert.

2. Flukie says:

I thought this has been going for a while, but those £1 sales are impossible to refuse.

• Gnoupi says:

“Oh, free candy, thanks! You say you have more in your car?”

• Alexander Norris says:

Right; because a competing e-store is exactly like paedophilia and rape.

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

People use hyperbole to emphasize their points and for comedic effect.

• Eophasmus says:

Methinks you’ve taken the analogy a little too literally.

• Zeewolf says:

It’s an analogy, it doesn’t have to be “exactly like” anything.

• BobbyDylan says:

Yes. Have you ever used origin?

*crawls into fettle position and crys self to sleep*

jezcentral says:

I have, and I was offline, too.

• Jason Moyer says:

Origin even has the nerve to close when you exit the game you’re playing too, if you launched the game directly outside the client.

• kikito says:

Games For Windows Live.

• alundra says:

What the fuck are you talking about?? UBI says there is more candy on the car!!

• arccos says:

You’re just mad because I took the last Mallo Cup.

• noodlecake says:

You made me smile anyway. Ignore that grumpy boots.

• Toberoth says:

On the contrary, I’m refusing them as we speak.

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

£1 seems far too much to pay a company who will sneak god knows what spyware and security loopholes onto my computer without any notification. They should be paying you a fairly large sum to be able to do that.

• mouton says:

That’s something EA never seemed to get with their Origin – they need to compete with prices, not exclusivity.

• D3xter says:

As I said in the forum thread:

“The purchases that you make through the Ubishop online store has a one month download period. If you have exceeded that month you will need to purchase either an Extended Download Service or a Backup Disk.”

It might sound enticing at first, until you realize that you’re getting screwed and only renting games for a limited period of time just like OnLive and similar.
      There’s a reason they put those deals up for $1/€, it’s kind of like a Venus Flytrap looking all appealing trying to goad you in till it flips shut…

• Apocalypse says:

The disability to actually download those bits of candy will help me a lot to refuse further candy from ubisoft. Apprentice’s due was never so cheap for me.

Hope they fix their problems, but dead links from -75% advertisements, a not working uplay client, a billing system that makes it possible for anyone who has the last 5 digits of your cc card and your email address to watch your bills and your cd keys … makes me wonder if those keys can be claimed before you do.

It kinda hurts to see so much fail. But if was a cheap experience as I could see and test all this for just 2$.

Tom De Roeck says:

Why not. I will probably order there directly, if they have good sales, since I need Uplay to play all ubisoft stuff anyhow.

Will definitely help finding player friends.

And no, I dont give a shit about their DRM policies.

• Lajcik says:

That’s probably because you never got locked out of your game due to their shitty service having a bad day.

After what they pulled with Heroes 6 I’m seriously never buying a Ubisoft game for PC. At least until they rethink their approach to copy protection.

Tom De Roeck says:

Like I said, I dont give a shit about their DRM policies.

• Jason Moyer says:

I’ve been unable to access Steam when the servers in my region took a shit, and UPlay no longer does the Diablo III thing, so I don’t see the issue.

• Milky1985 says:

Thats fine, no complaining when you are locked out or the servers are down tho.

• frightlever says:

To be fair, some people handle server downtime with a shrug and go do something else. Some people fall into a rage. I tend to not get angry when my games don’t work because of server downtime (though this is less to do with Ubisoft and more applicable to D3 and some MMORPGs), which is not to say I like always on DRM – I actively avoid Ubisoft titles UNTIL the price falls low enough.

It’s admirable that you’ve found something upon which to make a stand, but you can’t expect everyone to share your passion for avoiding DRM. On games. Which you play. To have fun.

Tom De Roeck says:

Yeah, the only downside so far is that they do not recognise previously registered games, but Im working on alleviating that :D

PS: I am not a ubisoft fanboy, I just enjoy many of their products and dont care about the DRM. Heck, the one time their servers went down, on a day I didnt even want to play, I got a free game out of it.

• Apocalypse says:

Or when he can not access his games anymore because he lost his install files :D

Tom De Roeck says:

nah, I am aware that whatever I buy through steam or other digital distributors is just that: digital online. If it ever ceases to exist, Ill lose that collection.

Thats why pirates are so nice and provide data redundancy :D

• CrookedLittleVein says:

“I dont give a shit about their DRM policies.”

I respect your right to hold such a position, but it does seem like a backwards step to undermine yourself and other gamers with regards to the aggressive foisting of terrible DRM. Then again, your position is pretty widespread throughout the gaming community (through conscious decision on the part of some and ignorance on the part of many more, I suspect) so I guess it’s here to stay and probably grow.

• Kadayi says:

In the assessment of any system it’s important to consider probability.

• StingingVelvet says:

As long as it’s not hosted client-side like Diablo 3 I don’t care either, for the simple reason that if anything happened in 20 years top stop me from installing the game I would just crack it and feel no moral conflict. Heck, if the servers no longer work it means no one is selling it and the company likely is gone, so it would be “abandonware” anyway.

felisc says:

** quick note : french is a little off in the title. I think you were going for “Hé toi”. or “Et toi”.

Edit : oh sorry, didn’t get the reference. I thought it was because Ubisoft is french, etc…

5. Saiko Kila says:

Hm, I made this avatar when I bought Anno2070, which also has this in-game shop (with regional currency for those EU countries who haven’t accepted the mighty Euro yet), chat, fakebook logging, achievements, and many of these were available in the starting application (Uplay). So that Udontplay thing has been there for a moment.

One thing I want to note – the uplay.exe usually crashes after a long session of Anno. If it doesn’t crash it displays a summary of my playtime and uplay points related achievements.

Also – for some reason Uplay started from Steam doesn’t list other ubi-games. And you can’t have two uplays in the same time – when you start the second uplay it asks you to close the first uplay. Apparently, you can have too much of a good uplay.

By started from Steam I mean the one started automatically when you run an ubi game purchased on Steam.

Zephro says:

Yeah I just found uPlay crashed or did weird things. Was just a more annoying user experience generally. When it did upset my game of Anno, my solution was to just go play something else and mentally note to not buy another uPlay game.

So not terribly enthusiastic for this move.

6. RogB says:

I’d rather voluntarily install a virus than a client made by these clueless PC hating fucknuts.

7. BobbyDylan says:

Great. Another friken useless app taking up space on my pc. How long till blizzavision, paradox, and take 2 each have their own store.

Getting farcical now.

• Lajcik says:

Blizzard has their own store for a while now :) It’s just that they don’t have a useless steam-like desktop application to manage your library. Everything else is tied with battle.net 2.0.

RaveTurned says:

Paradox founded GamersGate, which was operated by them for some time before it was spun out into it’s own separate company.

8. Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

“Ubisoft’s clambering into the ring alongside those two heavyweights with Uplay PC.”

Ahahahahahahahahahanope. Fortunately, as Ubisoft’s treatment of their customers means I haven’t bought any of their games for years, I’m not going to have to grapple with this particular turd.

9. The First Door says:

I’m really not a big fan of Uplay, especially not since I bought Driver: San Francisco.

Why on earth when I pay extra for some additional missions do you then lock them behind your own silly points system. Luckily I’d earned enough from a previous Ubisoft game to unlock them straight away, but that’s just rubbish.

• TormDK says:

Yes, how horrible it must be to have choice on how to get additional content to their games!

Down with player choice!

• battles_atlas says:

Where’s the choice? They hived off a bit of the game and stuck it behind a hoop that only exists to justify the existence of this crappy uplay software. I love Driver SF, best fun I’ve had with a driving game since BurnOut. Uplay however is a load of wank, whose only notable contribution is to fail to launch Driver every third time I try.

• The First Door says:

I can’t help but feel you didn’t really read what I posted at all. I’m not complaining about the extra content, in fact I loved the extra content. Also I think Driver: SF is one of the best arcade racing games I’ve played for ages.

As battles_atlas said, the point is that they’ve arbitrarily walled it off behind yet another gamer point system. If you aren’t supposed to play them until later in the game, what is wrong with just having them unlock when you get to a certain point? At the moment you have to ‘buy’ them with points you’ve earned and the real kicker is you can’t unlock them from within the game. You have to do that OUTSIDE the game in the Uplay interface which I found rather annoying.

• Cooper says:

Idiot who didn’t / can’t read above…

It’s exactly the same with Anno 2070. Buy the DLC and it appears as an ‘unlockable’ in UPlay. It being available only later makes sense; it’s a sequel mission to the main campaign. but finish the campaign and you have to quit the game, open UPlay, unlock the mission with your ‘skill points’ then load the game again.

Idiotic.

• kikito says:

Down with reading!

Tom De Roeck says:

The only snag so far is that it doesnt recognise the games I have bought previously, even though they are registered with uplay.

• JediEagle says:

For me it recognizes (as in I can redownload the game) Assassin’s Creed 2, which I have bought on Gamersgate, but it does not recognize AssCreed Brotherhood, which I bought on Steam …. And what is their redownload policy? On the store I can only find a FAQ that states I have 30 days and that they use Digital River…. probably not updated yet? Or what?

• CaspianRoach says:

Yeah, what’s up wtih that? If they don’t want to recognise their games I bought from Steam, why would I want to use that app at all?

• Apocalypse says:

Right now they do not recognized even the games I just bought yesterday at their store :)

At their webpage at least ac2 and brotherhood are recognized, but in the uplay client again its only brotherhood. *shrugs* Who cares, its just ubisoft games.

• KenTWOu says:

they don’t want to recognise their games I bought from Steam

If you bought it from Steam, you should install it from Steam to its own SteamApps directory.

• StingingVelvet says:

It gave me Assassin’s Creed 2, Brotherhood, Splinter Cell Conviction and Prince of Persia: Sands of Time right off the bat, all of which I bought either retail or from Gamersgate.

Ninja Dodo says:

It looks like it doesn’t unlock Steam games, even when they’ve been tied to Uplay (From Dust for example). This won’t do at all. Though I’ve been thinking for a while that the only way this DRM could be anything other than intolerable is if they let you download the games you own.

If they want to get people on board they should unlock *any* Uplay registered games, including ones on other platforms. A couple I only have on PS3… would be nice if they automatically unlocked the PC version as well.

If you could import your list of games from GOG and Steam (even pre-Uplay stuff) and have a complete Ubisoft library in one place this might begin to approach something useful. They probably don’t want to do this since there’s no immediate profit in it for them, but anything less than that is going to make it a hard sell.

11. Mbaya says:

At this point, I’m staying clear of Ubisoft…not just due to the recent issues already talked about, but because they seem to treat their PC Customers like something they’ve stepped in.

It strikes me as being a bit odd, that they release this in such a barebones (almost pointless) form, its pretty much the exact situation people complain about in regard to Origin, EA’s excuse being that they’re a new platform and that people didn’t like Steam when it first launched…yet both companies haven’t seemed to have learned any of the lessons Steam could teach them, to at least seem more appealing to the gamers that’ll use them.

On the plus side, maybe they’ll start to take their PC Customers more seriously and going ahead, garner better relationships and service…one can hope, right?

• empyrion says:

Did Steam become so popular due to the initial player-base’s trust in Valve? Thankfully, that trust has been mostly justified, though Steam is still DRM of course. But at the same time, I’m sure there are many people thinking “please Valve, don’t screw this up”. It’s a bit like “Google, don’t be evil.”

That said, other game publishers have not even come close to Valve’s track record when it comes to consumer treatment and I guess that’s why many responsible consumers don’t just want to hop into any new digital distribution system by those companies.

• Jason Moyer says:

I’d be more in love with Steam if their having been hacked last year wasn’t the first time in 20 years of owning a credit card that I’ve ever had my card information stolen. Lost my entire checking balance to fraudulent charges too, good times.

• zeroskill says:

Are you sure about that? I’m pretty sure credit card information was encrypted. Pretty heavily actually. Even if they got at the encryted information, it would take an absolute high end professional to squeeze that info out of the encrypted data. I personally don’t know of anybody who lost anything in that incident.

12. Milky1985 says:

Still not got my uplay points from finishing driver: san franisco, not getting poitns for doing things is somethign they wil ahve to fix if they plan to turn it into a proper rewards thing.

Ham Solo says:

FFS, now every publisher does their own digital distribution service shit, I don’t wanna have to use 12 of those programmes for different games. Steam is okay, Origin is already almost too much.

• Spengbab says:

In a few years you will have to launch Steam, Origin, upay, GoG, Desura and who knows what dumb names will follow after booting up your OS. I don’t think “enjoying games” is anywhere in that list. All those companies want you to play games on a PC, but all they are doing is driving the consumer back to the plastic box under the TV set.

All in all, it’s getting a bit silly. Hoping for an open-source distribution platform, but that’s way too much of an ideal world and will never, ever happen.

• Jomini says:

Why would you have to launch a DRM free DD platform like GoG?
        DD per se is not the problem, tied in DRM is.

• Spengbab says:

Just an example – Ive no experience with GoG, though Im sure they are saints and the saviours of PC gaming.

Why I gave up piracy I have no idea, but its not because these guys deserve my money

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

How else can they all get their sticky paws on your beloved billing information?

14. gunny1993 says:

Et Tu, Ubisoft

15. TheMrSolaris says:

If it meant that Ubisoft stopped delaying the PC launch of their products, I might be interested once I can be bothered to give a single fuck.

bglamb says:

“the idea is to tie all of Ubisoft’s PC games together via social features….blah blah blah”

The only reason this works with Steam is that people buy everything on Steam. It’s not exactly tying everything together if I have 90% of my stuff on Steam, and just whatever annoyingly exclusive title Ubi force me to buy of theirs.

Is there even such a thing as a Ubisoft fanboy, who owns their whole catalogue and nothing else?

• StingingVelvet says:

If the Steam community and stuff is that important to you then launch everything through Steam, no matter where you bought it. Works like a charm.

LTK says:

Ubisoft is going to have to do better than that to convice me to give them money again.

18. HisMastersVoice says:

One thing they’re getting right as of now is not pulling their games off of Steam. As long as they don’t try the same shit Origin did, I’m fine with them trying to provide another option to Steam.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

Ubisoft has no way near the brand awareness or market penetration that EA does. Even by their standards it would be a very stupid thing to do.

19. frightlever says:

It would make more sense for the big publishers to collaborate on this against the incumbent big fish. They’re playing right into Steam’s hands by pulling in different directions.

20. ChainsawCharlie says:

Dream on Ubisoft. Will never use your horrible service. Even if you gave out the games for free.

21. Ninja Foodstuff says:

Calling it uplay pc is a complete misnomer, given that they only have support for Windows.

• Unaco says:

Probably to differentiate it from UPlay on the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3. Just a thought.

22. Jomini says:

Gotta love how the article implies that steam was the first real DD platform (Direct2Drive), and that nothing happened on the DD market between steam and Origin launch (Gamersgate, GoG, Impulse, Amazon DD).

23. Beernut says:

Common sense tells me, that competition is a good thing and should lead to more innovation. But being a creature of habit, I really don’t relish the idea of having numerous full-fledged gaming-platforms, each with its own friendlist, achievement-system and whatnot installed simultaneously. Fortunately, I have never been tempted by a Uplay-based title yet (or Origin-game for that matter), but I guess that’s just a matter of time. Especially, since I could imagine that even more big players might push clients of their in the future, causing further fragmentation (amazon?).

24. Sisco says:

They do have some nerve, after all the shit they threw at us coming up with this, keeping the burned name.
    I smell a press statement explaining how “social features” and “convenience” and “online store” were planned all along while implementing their DRM.

25. SiHy_ says:

Strange game. The only way to win is not to play.
    How about a nice game of chess?

26. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Yeah… how about no? I know say this every time the subject comes up, but I’m really hesitant to give companies control over games I have purchased. I’d like to see less no, better ways of handling this. GOG already does it fairly well. I wonder how the different services compare.

27. Shortwave says:

I can actually live without playing another Ubisoft game again.
    I’d honestly rather see some underdogs take their place in the pc market.
    Theres so many games coming out these days I can’t even keep up it feels like.
    I wouldn’t miss them I don’t think.

28. Shooop says:

If they would focus on this and scrap their insipid always-on DRM schemes then maybe, just maybe, they’d be on to something.

People don’t use Steam for its social features, they use it because it sells games on the cheap. So Ubi has that part figured out, unlike EA.

• zeroskill says:

No, people use Steam because of crazy amounts of customer confidence Valve has on the PC. People have been using Steam way longer then they do those deep discounts on there.

• JoeGuy says:

The Steam app is pretty user friendly and Valve are one of the more trustworthy and community friendly companies in the biz. And we have less and less of that sort each year.

29. JoeGuy says:

*Grumble!!* I was just starting to accept I’d be stuck with Origins for Dragon Age 3 and my Mass Effect games…. seriously Ubisoft, your DRM is crap. You don’t trust PC gamers, called most of us thieves, delay your games for us and charge more for your own games store with all the profits then a normal store does. I’ll have another *Grumble* thank you… How can you believe we want you in our lives without doing a single thing we actually want; all we do is fight and try to avoid you with our digital death shurikens. It won’t be a competitive launcher/store if you require Always Online for tonnes of games that make the experience worse and can barely keep your servers up as it is.

30. zeroskill says:

They are out of their minds. I knew Ubisoft doesn’t have what you would call a healthy sense for reality, but this goes too far.

31. RagingLion says:

Any sign that they’ll remove there games from Steam?

I just don’t wan tot miss out on getting Assassin’s Creed Revelations from them for cheap. Was holding out for a deeper discount than the summer sale was asking for – hope I don’t lose my chance.

Driver: SF is very tempting btw.

CelticPixel says:

Good luck to them. As long as they don’t start making their own games exclusive to their own platform like EA have been doing with Origin.

Sadly, I’m unlikely to use it myself due to Ubi’s various past issues with DRM, authentication, downed servers, etc. Also, I feel that Ubi’s biggest priority is their shareholders, not their customers.

33. innociv says:

Not with U I’m not.

34. beema says:

“Hey ya’ll, how ’bout you come on over to our store and buy our games that we very clearly did not make for PC users because we fucking hate you PC user scumbags”

You know, I saw this coming miles away. As soon as EA launched Origin I said to myself “If Origin is successful at all, we are going to see every single major publisher launch their own exclusive storefront for PC. Pretty soon we are going to have to have a separate program for EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Valve, THQ, and whoever else there is.”

I can’t wait until Ubi pulls their games off Steam.

Seriously, stop fucking giving money to this company everyone. They hate you. They actively hate you and treat you like shit.