Meet Splinter Cell’s Brand New Lead Character

By Alec Meer on September 25th, 2012 at 8:00 pm.

Come baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack Michael

With long-time Splinter Cell protagonist Sam Fisher replaced by new character Bland Younger, series reboot Blacklist has a lot of work to do win over old fans. This latest trailer probably won’t help, given it focuses almost entirely on open, brutal violence and winds up by promoting pre-order incentives. It’s for The Young People, the ones who can’t get enough of machine guns and evisceration. Let’s hope, as appears to have been the case for Hitman Subtitle, that this turns out to only be true in a marketing sense, and in fact the Splinter Cell we know and love (i.e. hiding, gadgets, not killing anyone) is still in there underneath the surface bombast.

No you most certainly are not Sam Fisher, young man. You’re called Ian Killing and the sooner you admit that to the world the happier we’ll all be.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Moni says:

I’ve been listening to Michael McCann’s (aka Behaviour) excellent Splinter Cell: Double Agent soundtrack recently. It’s free on his website too! http://www.behaviormusic.com/

McCann is another Michael not returning in the new Splinter Cell game.

• Benny says:

Didn’t know he did double agent’s soundtrack (my memory of that game is constant crashing to desktop), but i did really like his work on the latest Deus Ex.

That said, Amon Tobin’s Chaos Theory soundtrack was spectacular. One of my personal favourites and was the perfect icing on a beautifully crafted game.

2. phelix says:

Killing the series wasn’t enough. Now they’ve gone and mutilated the corpse.

• Heliocentric says:

Go to hell in a kyack, SC:Conviction was a fun stealth killemup, sure it went abit sideways in the plot but the traversal and use of cover-to-cover was exceptional and shames many third person games.

Play the coop or the deniable ops (like rts skirmish but stealth “skirmish”) and its stripped back to its legitimately excellent core.

All they need to do is get the plot back to its generic roots and make more freeform levels and you are laughting.

• brau says:

I had fun with Conviction.

• Stardog says:

I bet you’ve had “fun” with other mediocre games too.

I’m sure you were “entertained” by Transformers.

I’m sure you “enjoyed” Prometheus.

Splinter Cell has been dead since since Double Agent (the start of the consolization). If you give money to this, you’re contributing to more crap coming out in the future.

• RogerioFM says:

Sir this has to be the most ridiculous comment I’ve read… this week. I had fun playing Transformers, and had fun watching Prometheus too. Whether their are mediocre or not does not matter, a man can say what he wants without others saying his tastes are mediocre.

I loved Planescape Torment, System Shock 2, Pathologic, Fallout, Syndicate(original), and countless others, and loved others games called mediocre, like Game of Thrones RPG, or King Arthur. Pleople can have many tastes, it does not mean they are mediocre.

Yeah, I did not like Conviction as much as Splinter Cell DA, but it is not a mediocre game in my opinion, and if you think it is, does not mean everything I like is mediocre.

• Skipperoo says:

Kind of no need to be a dick about it though, hey?

• FunkyBadger3 says:

Consolisation of Splinter Cell?

Oh my…

• Heliocentric says:

The console (Wii/original xbox/ps2) version of Double Agent was a legitimately excellent follow on to Chaos Theory. Its the 360, PS3 and PC version that’s a crap-on-a-plate.

Consolisation? It doesn’t even make sense in this context.

• Syra says:

Conviction was good, stop being a neckbeard.

• Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

Let’s all join hands and sing the song…

“It’s OK to not like things,
            It’s OK, but don’t be a dick about it.
            It’s OK to not like things,
            Don’t be a dick about the things you don’t like.”

• Kestilla says:

Staaardoooog… Vitriolic defensive franchise elitism without an explanation as to why. How… old.

Conviction’s singleplayer was lackluster and out of Sam’s element. The multiplayer, however, is everything the singleplayer should have been, sans some notable features like body hiding, etc. Overall, however, I enjoyed it quite a lot, and still consider it well worth playing.

And at the very least Conviction wasn’t a buggy horrible mess on the PC as Double Agent was, making it the first Splinter Cell since Chaos Theory I’ve actually been able to get through without chewing through my mouse cord in frustration.

• DonDrapersAcidTrip says:

Conviction was terrible. They could of put a name on it other than splinter cell but they didn’t. You were forced down hallways (the game autmotically saving being that you have no choice in anything so it’s impossible to get stuck) killing everyone along the way. That isn’t splinter cell. It’s the definition of dumbed down. Also you beat a black guy to death at the foot of the lincoln memorial. That sums up the kind of thought they put into the whole game right there. If my standards that result in me finding all of this gross and idiotic makes me some kind of snob or “neckbeard” I’m good with that, though I would think the more neckbearded thing to do would be to act apologetic and forgiving for every piece of intellectual property that ever entertained you one time.

• hosndosn says:

Actually, this ranks high as the most ridiculous comment I’ve ever seen. This month.

If it does not matter whether they’re mediocre, then why are you on a website discussing those games? And why can’t I call your taste mediocre? Let me just do that: Your taste is mediocre. You just fucking admitted it and apparently are proud of it.

ffordesoon says:

How dare you like something I do not like, sir! TO THE FIERY PITS OF HELL WITH YOU!

Ugh.

You know, it is possible to like things while realizing that they’re flawed, guys. Taste is kind of subjective. Life sucks. Let’s not make it worse for some people just because they legitimately enjoyed Mr. Mom, okay? By all means, say that Mr. Mom is a bad movie, but don’t shit on people who had the temerity to enjoy it. That’s what assholes do.

• RogerioFM says:

@hosndosn – Man, I am not saying my tastes are mediocre, what I am saying, for example, is that you may not like a game that I do, you may find it mediocre, it just do not mean everything I like will be mediocre. But, yeah, I like some things considered mediocre by the masses, but hell, obviously I do not think it is mediocre myself. If that was not obvious, I hope that cleared things up. I know that this is the internet, and people tend to offend each other rather than try to understand each other, heck, I just called Stardog’s comments ridiculous, so I am not exactly perfect either.

• Snuffy the Evil says:

It’s almost like people actually have differing tastes!

• kanavbs45 says:

You mean there is a Metal Gear Solid game? I only know the (barely) interactive movies.

• neonordnance says:

TALK SHIT ABOUT TRANSFORMERS ONE MORE TIME

ONE… MORE… TIME…

• DonDrapersAcidTrip says:

Jokes about Metal Gear being barely interactive movies are nearly the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard because you can do more in Metal Gear Solid 3 than just about every other action game put together, where your actions are basically limited to shooting and taking cover. I still find new things in Snake Eater all the time.

• brau says:

Too busy playing Borderlands 2 to make a decent reply to this… have not played transformers and have not watched prometheus. Anything else?

• Aldehyde says:

Was it really a stealth game though? More importantly, was it really Splinter Cell?

• brau says:

Too me… Splinter Cell stopped being splinter cell with Double Agent. Chaos Theory had all the slow elements of a late 30s agent sneaking and being very lethal… but that was his whole point right? not being seen. Goes in, comes out… Some explosive approaches on some of the levels that were effective, but at its core splinter cell catered more to the sneaky.

Conviction is a good game… a little more fluid and very dramatic. The game is fun to play, and you can be stealthy.. but it goes away from the patience of learning your enemy… Conviction lends itself a lot more to maybe improvisation. You get rewarded with target markers by doing takedowns… which trigger cool shooting sequences. So in essence the game is still splinter cell, its just executed differently.

• Heliocentric says:

If you own a Wii you should try Double agent there (you can likely buy it for pennies), Its a legitimately good sequel to chaos theory(double agent pc was shanghi, chaos theory and double agent last gen was Montreal) if you can forgive the controls.

• yourgrandma says:

Yes double agent for the original Xbox is excellent. The next Gen version for PC/xb360/ps3 is horrible.

ffordesoon says:

Conviction was a fun game that actively encouraged you to play it in the most boring way possible. It had its share of issues, but it was vastly more enjoyable than a lot of people make it out to be. It had the heart of a Splinter Cell game. The problem with it was that it wanted to be Uncharted and Splinter Cell at the same time, and those goals by their nature conflict with each other.

• woodsey says:

Problem being that Chaos Theory is one of the best stealth-em-ups ever made. Conviction was fun enough while it lasted, but at the end of the day it’s yet another game pulled into the singularity mind-set that dictates all genres must now have ‘-action’ stuck to their bum.

3. FunkyBadger3 says:

SHIT SANDWICH

4. Deadly Habit says:

Is wearing night vision goggles during the day the new sunglasses at night?

5. db1331 says:

I can’t bring myself to watch it. Can someone tell me if there is dubstep?

• Mitchk says:

No WUB WUB as such, but a handful of DUM’s and COOOOOH’s.

That said, it doesn’t make it any more watchable!

• anark10n says:

No dubstep, but it does do the annoying cinematographic blackout, throws lines at you can see coming from the a mile off and tops it off by leaving you with question mark where the terrorists should be for good measure.

• Dowr says:

Nope, no Dubstep; that is for the next trailer!

6. talon03 says:

lol, I was genuinely excited there at the thought of a new character, the changing of the guard, a removal of an old, respected, gaming hero and the addition of a new wannabe.

The truth crushed me, RPS.

7. InternetBatman says:

I expected it to be terrible, but that is surprisingly terrible.

8. rockman29 says:

That… did not look good for stealth fans.

To be honest, the original Splinter Cell games did not stand up well to the test of time either. Their gameplay is very rigid.

I hoped the future would loosen the controls up a bit and give the player more freedom, but Splinter Cell just got progressively more linear as time went on.

I feel sad that this series was ever compared to Metal Gear Solid in the past, because apart from being ‘stealth games’ they actually have nothing in common. One is a fluid and incredibly fun series which begs for players to experiment, and the other is a linear shooter with lots of shadows everywhere… and now it’s just a linear shooter.

• jroger says:

ffordesoon says:

That’s true of MGS4 to an extent, but the first three games and Peace Walker are games. Games that take a while to reveal themselves as games, it’s true, but games. MGS3 in particular is an enjoyably bonkers quasi-immersive sim, and probably the best game in the series. Its prologue is too long and too linear, and the game as a whole does have too many cinematics. But much like The Witcher, there’s a point where everything clicks and it becomes awesome.

• Ergates_Antius says:

@ffordesoon MGS3 is the best – largely because it lets you eat pretty much everything.

ffordesoon says:

“DAMN, THAT’S GOOD!”

God, I love that game.

• Geen says:

MGS3 is the best. Easter eggs everywhere, from nightmares in the prison, to eating soldiers through the use of vultures, to all the hidden frog things. The End and The Boss were pretty much my favorite boss fights ever. Hell, you can throw snakes at people! Or interrogate them! Or pretend to be a croc and scare them!

• rockman29 says:

Well if you haven’t played Metal Gear…

Nothing else to say really.

• TCM says:

So basically you never played a Metal Gear game, but you might have seen videos of 3 or 4. Maybe even 2’s ending, if I wanted to give you credit.

• ocelot113 says:

If you thought Chaos Theory was a linear shooter you obviously didn’t play to much of it. I was still finding new ways of going through maps a year after launch.

• rockman29 says:

I mean other than Chaos Theory. Even the first game was really, really linear.

• KenTWOu says:

Insurgency Pack DLC for SC:Conviction brings back that Chaos Theory levels’ freedom and even more! But it’s just a few sandboxy very good levels for Deniable Ops singleplayer/co-op mode! Pure stealth without any narrative at all. And the lack of good Deus Ex like narrative is the most important problem of SC:Conviction and Blacklist IMHO.

9. ZIGS says:

“Let’s hope, as appears to have been the case for Hitman Subtitle, that this turns out to only be true in a marketing sense, and in fact the Splinter Cell we know and love (i.e. hiding, gadgets, not killing anyone) is still in there underneath the surface bombast”

Stop deluding yourself, it’ll only make it hurt even more

10. Paul says:

Well.
    Bland Younger is now official name for this game’s main character.
    Good job RPS.

11. brau says:

They should just call him Jack Bauer. :D

• codename_bloodfist says:

This is exactly what was going through my head the entire time. Oh, look, it’s the CTU headquarters. Oh, look, jack is breaking somebody’s nose to ask him where the bomb is. Oh, look, he’s friends with the president again. This time it’s not a black person, but a woman. How very progressive, yet patriotic.

12. KaelWolfcry says:

Well…at least we got some forewarning before they ‘pulled a Raiden’ on us…right?

Right, guys? *sob*

• brau says:

Ugh… Raiden was and will never be cool. ~_~ holy crap was i upset when i could not control Snake for the rest of MGS 2…. had to replay the tanker over and over to get my mgs fix haha I mean seriously.. he was crying! CRYING like a soap opera in the middle of the mission.

This one… he is just not sam fisher… if they took it as hey.. this is a new game… a la splinter cell called something else, i think everyone would be a lot happier and would sell better.

With this i am putting all my hope on Absolution.

• Geen says:

This isn’t even a Raiden. Raiden at least redeemed himself with badass cyber ninja shenanigans.

13. neonordnance says:

the good:

looks like some actual stealth sequences in the beginning, with sneaking, the signature stealth suit, and gadgets

the bad:

…but it then transitions into ghost recon 2, with 3rd-person action. this series is supposed to be plausible! nobody is going to mow through that many terrorists with just a pistol! why is he running around in the daylight?

the ugly:

that voice actor is TERRIBLE. michael ironside made sam fisher a believable, likeable badass but this new guy is just rubbish. why can’t they just make the game star another third echelon operative? no one complained when they did this in the chaos theory co-op or the conviction multiplayer!

the bottom line:

double agent was a splinter cell game, but it was rather shitty. conviction was not really a splinter cell game, but was not bad at all. this game seems to be trying to be more of a splinter cell game than conviction, which is good, but they seem to also be keeping the over-the-top movie action and ditching the plausibility, and without michael ironside there is no sam fisher.

the prescription: ubisoft, if you are listening, please turn this into a spin-off. just swap the character model’s head a little bit and tweak some of the dialogue. as far as i’m concerned, sam fisher has retired. that way you will not be taking a massive shit on my childhood of sneaking and skullduggery.

14. Brun says:

This is going to sound like a dumb question but is the new guy’s name actually Bland Younger?

lurkalisk says:

Err… Wasn’t the fifth freedom something consistently innate in his job description? I mean, Sam Fisher’s anyway.

Yeah, this looks awful.

• Ergates_Antius says:

That bit sounded particularly troublesome.

You’re meant to be the good guy, and one of your conditions for returning to work is immunity from prosecution for any and all war-crimes you might commit. Nice.

“Protect our laws, by breaking them”. Urm….Is the game being funded by the CIA or something?

16. MrLebanon says:

boy am I glad this game was not a part of my childhood – nothing is ruined for me!

Looks garbage though

ffordesoon says:

Why can’t “Sam Fisher” be a codename, as some have theorized “James Bond” is? If Ironside as the old Fisher was your handler, that would be quite nice.

• talon03 says:

If I play this game that would actually be my headcannon. It’s the only way it works. This is basically a complete character reboot.

• Demon Beaver says:

“I used to be a Sam Fisher like you, but then I took a reboot to the knee”

• Lenderz says:

Wow, I actually really like this idea, they could even have fun with it, Ironside saying “okay kid, you might want to sneak up to that dude and ask what he knows and put him to sleep after” over comms.

Then Bland Younger going all batshit crazy interrogating and killing the dude much to Sam’s disapproval “Or you could just kill him, jerk”.

Would at least make the change mildly palatable.

• zerosociety says:

Goddammit, were that true this would be kind of interesting.

18. The_invalid says:

UBISOFT, WAT R U DOIN

SRSLY

UBISOFT

STAHP :'(

• MortalWombat says:

Why can’t the decision makers of such big titles understand that if you’re original and work hard to remain original, success will come after you and haunt you in your wet dreams…
      Instead in almost every AAA title we play a gunwielding faceshooter/slasher. Why are they so afraid of innovation? I mean they have to be seeing that the market yearns for every last drop of originality and will also pay good money for it (see borderlands (2), for example). Be inventive for fucks sake.

I – DON’T – GET – IT!

• Radiant says:

How many times you’ve ever drunk a coke?
        Would you still buy it if they fucked with the recipe every time you bought a can?

• MortalWombat says:

If I want a coke, I’ll buy a coke, not a coke 2, coke 3, coke: blacklist or coke: blackops…

• Ergates_Antius says:

To be accurate, the analogy would be more like: People like coke, so all soft drink manufacturers trying to make their drinks taste like coke.

Or to put it another way. I like [diet] coke. I also like: Lemonade, Tea, Hot Chocolate, Wine, Scotch, Lilt, Irn Bru, Orange Juce, and a whole bunch of things I’ve not even tasted yet. I don’t want everything I drink to taste like coke.

19. captain nemo says:

More shovel-ware brought to you from the Ubisoft marketing team. How low can this company go ?
    Will avoid.

20. int says:

Looks like a fun action game.

But it is such a shame Ubi don’t seem to think stealth games will sell, maybe they are right. But I love stealth.

I want to be able to complete an entire mission non-lethal.

• MortalWombat says:

Another classic Splinter Cell wouldn’t sell/be successful… but instead of innovating and improving upon the stealth genre (or reinventing it or doing ANYTHING slightly original) they make another game for the worst of the 14-year-olds…

21. SuperNashwanPower says:

Xbox graphical hardware / standards always seems to struggle with doing eyes well. They tend to look like eyeballs behind two flaps of pizza base. You tend to notice grahical flaws when you look backwards. Like playing an old game – you remember it as looking awesome, and then suddenly compared to modern titles it looks dreadful. Most of this vid is ok, for some reason the eyes just stick out as being ‘old tech’

22. Dominic White says:

Just as a point of reference… This is how Sam Fisher used to interrogate people:
    A threat here and there, but that’s the worst he did, and it was implied that he’d never actually carry them out. There was even some playful banter at times. Once you’d interrogated a guy, the dialogue heavily seems to favour you knocking the dude out.

Now, he just jams a knife into the guy and screams at them until they give up their information.

Before: Witty, often whimsical dialogue between him and a guard you’ve caught.
    After: Mandatory torture scene, the only decision given being whether you murder the victim afterwards.

• FunkyBadger3 says:

The main reason I’ll never be spending a penny on this game.

• Ergates_Antius says:

If you’re agaist torture of unarmed captives, you’re with the the terrorists. Or the tourists. One or the other, pretty sure it’s the first one.

23. celozzip says:

i’m glad the got the actor who played “whitney” in smallville. he’s so much better than michael ironside…

24. Radiant says:

I had a lot of fun with Conviction.
    I even liked it when they remade it as Ghost Recon [also a guilty pleasure btw].

25. Hensler says:

I think it looks good, and there are a couple good gameplay videos that show a lot of interesting steal mechanics. But I also like Call of Duty, and this community has made it clear that puts me on the same social rung as pedophiles and necrophiliacs. The plot does look like a mess – but that’s not really a change for this series. Who really remembers what the first Splinter Cell games were even about?

26. konrad_ha says:

Wow, just wow. They’re not exactly going for the subtleties of war or the moral implications of clandestine operations with this. No ambiguity here, sir!

• ShatteredAwe says:

They would have, but the children of today can’t understand the “Moral Implications” of war. All they care about is blowing sh*t up and overly-Manly main characters.

27. TCM says:

Well, I’ve lost the plot.

At least there’s still Metal Ge–

*Metal Gear social ops announced for iPhones*

*Next metal gear game stars a ninja kickflipping things off his sword in broad daylight*

welp

(No you aren’t allowed to ruin this joke by bringing up how those are both spinoffs and the actual next game, Ground Zeroes, actually looks pretty good. I ban you.)

• Dominic White says:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a point torpedo itself so quickly before. Saves on anyone correcting you, at least!

Metal Gear Rising looks brilliant, anyway. Platinum know how to make a crazy action game, and later-years MGS is pure 90s cyberpunk incarnate.

28. Midroc says:

Cookie cutter “Murrica is under attack by arabs!” story.
    Tryhard and edgy acting to appeal to the CoD audience
    Open ground guns blazing action and tacticool quicktime event takedowns, also to appeal to aformentioned audience.
    Graphics held back by aging consoles, looking really dated in places. Also grey brown n’ bloom.

This is Bland™ in it’s most concentrated form.

• TCM says:

It’s Tom Clancy branded, the man has been writing ‘Arabs and or Russians attack America’ for, what, 30 years now?

Long before it was the ‘in’ thing to do at least. The guy is basically the textbook that MW took all its beats from.

tomeoftom says:

I love that he has a conversation, in person, with the President. HA!

This is so depressing.

• KenTWOu says:

Cookie cutter “Murrica is under attack by arabs!” story.

Did you play previous Splinter Cell:Conviction? It has “Murrica is under attack by yankees!” story. And fans don’t like it.

29. hosndosn says:

Apparently the 5th Freedom is the Freedom from self-awareness because that was about the most ridiculously douchy thing I’ve ever seen.

ffordesoon says:

This really does make the game look unconscionably terrible, and I liked Conviction.

31. yourgrandma says:

Everything I never wanted in splinter cell. Awesome. Rip stealth genre.

32. dE says:

At least they had the decency to give the new hero a different name. Now the next Devil May Cry on the other hand… turning a popular over the top character into an angsty teen emo kid with temper issues and biolab experiments conducted on him – yeh. Thank you but no, I’d rather they’d made a new character for that. So best be grateful it’s a different character. They could do worse things to the ones you actually like.

• YogSo says:

dE, I think you should re-read the post a second time, more carefully. Here, I’ll help you:

“With long-time Splinter Cell protagonist Sam Fisher replaced by new character Bland Younger [wink-wink-nudge-nudge], series reboot Blacklist has a lot of work to do win over old fans.

Really sorry to crush your optimistic thoughts, but this case is the same exact thing they are doing with Dante, a character reboot for reboot’s sake.

33. GoliathBro says:

Yeah, nah.

I don’t care for their justifications, explanations, fancy trailers or any of that bullshit.

They killed the franchise when they replaced Ironside. Period.

Michael Ironside IS Sam Fisher.

I understand if they want a shiny new action hero, but why the fuck still call him Sam Fisher? Makes no sense.

This shows a total lack of respect for the franchise.

At the least, they should have retired Fisher and come up with someone new. They could have kept the character as a support/HQ voice in your ear type of dealio.

Instead, they ruin one of my alltime favourite video game characters in the franchise That Made Me.

Die in a fire, you pricks.

• alw says:

The Sam Fisher name is all part of the Splinter Cell branding, I guess. Being able to say “Play as Sam Fisher!” will sell more units than “Take orders from Sam Fisher!”. As for it disrespecting the franchise… well, yeah, it does, but I think that more importantly, it disrespects the people who have grown up playing the games, because what’s presented looks like it was made for morons. It’s based on the same propoganda and oversimplified arguments that’s been fed to us over the last decade, the whole “they hate us for our freedoms” horseshit that another poster pointed out earlier.

I really hope the actual game shows a little more moral ambiguity and actually encourages people to think about the different sides. I hope this is another example of the marketing guys getting it wrong again, but to be honest, I can’t say I really believe that myself. There’s just been too little effort put into approaching difficult topics in a mature manner to date in games. The sad part is that I think Sam Fisher (the old one, not this new fella), the grizzled, cynical veteran would have been a great vehicle to explore these kinds of topics.

• KenTWOu says:

Michael Ironside IS Sam Fisher.

Check this interview. It seems that Michael Ironside doesn’t want to be Sam Fisher anymore.

34. NewbieNewbieBoy says:

I loved it when I was younger, but now I wish this franchise would have ended along with the Bush era.

Tom Clancy & co. were always propagandists, but there is a distinct post 9-11 message in these games: namely the defensively chauvinistic idea that “terrorists” hate us because of our “freedoms”, so American assassins need to have the “freedom” to murder people.

Remember when Lambert allows you to murder random (and easily avoidable) Georgian street cops for the simple reason that he thinks they’re “crooked as a Virginia fence”? That was some serious freedom.

I was hoping we would no longer be as susceptible to this sort of doublethink (of which “Operation Enduring Freedom” is my favourite euphemism), but the gaming community is absolutely terrible at critical thinking: under assault from critics who suggest that video games might be responsible for real-world violence, they have reacted by setting up a barrier between video game themes and the real world, giving the appearance that a political perspective ruins games’ “purity”.

• Consumatopia says:

We Americans may not have the same kind of paranoia that we had in Bush’s first term. But the idea that one must act outside the rules to save the rules seems to be as strong as ever.

• Metonymy says:

In other words, we must protect America by killing Persians for the benefit of Zionist Israelis. I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with either of you, I’m just saying the propaganda goes much further than you’re implying.

We’re so brainwashed by Christian ignorance, that we’ve actually chosen to ally with genocidal uber-racists, (gods chosen people) instead of the maligned and radicalized Muslims. To be fair, they’re both terrible choices.

ffordesoon says:

Wow, I already thought you were dumb, but now you’re adding quasi-anti-Semitic language to your deranged rhetoric. Super!

• AlonePlusEasyTarget says:

Good job goyim! Those who criticise us are anti-semitic no matter how true it is. After all we are God’s chosen people and the Americans should die protecting us from the Muslim pigs!

• Metonymy says:

You simply have to be trolling. Calling Israeli policy genocidal and super-racist is like saying the sun is super bright and hot, or Americans consume too much sugar. Stating a fact more obvious, and well published, and endlessly documented than the appearance of your face in the mirror, is antisemitic?

Everyone is human, everyone is fallible, everyone is equal. If the villain of a particular story is a jew or a zionist, this is relevant to the discussion and has to be mentioned. If you’re not man enough to openly criticize zionism or jews, you are nothing but a tiresome little coward.

JiminyJickers says:

It looks alright actually, still seem that you can stealth around stealthily.

36. Grape Flavor says:

Reboot? Hmm, according to Wikipedia, SC: Blacklist takes place directly following Conviction and is therefore not a reboot.

I think that even if you aren’t the slightest bit interested in a game, if you’re going to take the time to write an article anyway, you might as well do your research.

Admittedly it is kind of confusing given the voice actor change and how Fisher seems to be going through some kind of bizarre reverse aging. But still.

37. BrendanJB says:

Be a stealthy secret agent by killing everybody in the entire area while doing backflips and firing missiles out of your arse. Hoo-fucking-ray, that is exactly what I wanted from Splinter Cell. There aren’t enough games that let me simultaneously kill 8 people and then take cover behind a chest high wall. This is the innovation I have been waiting for.

38. Grape Flavor says:

Okay, holy shit. Just watched this trailer off YouTube since the RPS embed is Flash-based. So Sam Fisher is an uncontrollably violent psycho now? Jesus christ.

Look, I usually shrug at the overwrought handwringing that takes place here every time some game so much as mentions terrorism, but that trailer made very uncomfortable. Is that what Splinter Cell is about now? Torturing and knifing people while spouting one-liners?

What the hell happened to sneaking around and restrained use of lethal force?

39. Armitage says: