Super Slash Brothers: Samurai Gunn

By Nathan Grayson on October 3rd, 2012 at 8:00 am.

Samurai Gunn is also a bit bloodier than Super Smash Bros. Which is to say the blood is existent and not made of coins.

I saw many, many excellent things while I was at Fantastic Arcade in Austin, Texas. You’ll probably continue to hear about them until the end of time. Here, however, is one I wish I could’ve gotten a bit more up-close-and-personal with, but sadly never had the opportunity. Teknopants‘ Samurai Gunn mixes Super-Smash-Bros-style high-speed hop ‘n’ bop combat with sudden, single-hit finality akin to a samurai duel in a sun-seared bamboo forest. Or Nidhogg, I suppose. See it in highly enticing video form after the break, courtesy of Professional Knower Of All Humans, Brandon Boyer.

This video was captured during a tournament that I attended, which makes me famous. Take that, mom. Also, if you’re curious, the competitors were none other than Super Hexagon/VVVVVV/Chatchat creator Terry Cavanagh and Infinite Blank mastermind Evan Balster. And yes, they absolutely settled a tie with a samurai duel in front of a colossal setting sun.

So here are the basics: two-to-four players square off, each with only their swords and three bullets per life. Bullets can be deflected if you have the reflexes of a thousand-armed demigod (or the guy who created Super Hexagon), and sword strikes are entirely parry-able. If, however, your timing’s even the slightest bit off, so is your head. The end result is tense, lightning-quick, and absurdly high-risk-high-reward.

Arcade-y though it may seem, Samurai Gunn’s actually PC-only. It’s still in development at the moment, but obviously, it’s coming along incredibly well. As such, I’m pretty darn optimistic about its chances of turning into something really special. Also, blasphemous though it might be for no apparent reason, I really love the idea of a local multiplayer resurgence on PC. I quite like huddling around things with other people in Meatspace or whatever we’re calling it these days – especially in games with such an over-the-top competitive element. Off the top of my head, I can think of a few others that fit the bill (Castle Crashers, Paradox’s Dungeonland, etc), but I’m up for hearing about more – especially in light of Steam Big Picture mode. So, beyond Samurai Gunn’s blood-spattered wonders, what else would you recommend?

, .

Harlander says:

akin to a samurai duel in a sun-seared bamboo forest

This isn’t the Bushido Blade remake that sentence makes me hope for, but it looks fun.

• MadTinkerer says:

Bushido Blade was the first thing I thought of as well, but this is a bit more Ninja Gaiden… and Megaman (bullets) and Bubble Bobble (bottom of the level connects to the top).

Dilapinated says:

I agree. Bushido Blade was an amazing game, and this looks very promising.

2. Spakkenkhrist says:

PC games I have enjoyed in a similar fashion: Trine 2, Scorched Tanks (going back some although there is a faithful 3d remake), Left 4 Dead (split screen via the console) and the ridiculous “fling the driver through the windscreen at things” events in Flatout 1 & 2.

3. Akimbo says:

Video gave a strong vibe of Jump ‘n Bump. Probably the most fun I’ve ever had in a local-multiplayer game.

• Twisted says:

Oh, looks like they did remove my wikipedia entry on BrainChild Design (the group that made Jump ‘n Bump). Just logged in and scrolled through millions of pages to say this:

Jump ‘n Bump rocks, always has and always will. Please find it and play it with some friends. Get a couple of extra USB keyboards to avoid ugliness and a joypad for the 4th player.

4. 4026 says:

Yeah, this sounds pretty badass.

And, since you mention it, whatever happened to Nidhogg?

5. Nathan_G says:

I played a fair bit of BaraBariBall with Lawrie ‘Trash TV’ Russell at Wild Rumpus and again at Eurogamer Expo and we both feckin loved it. Team vs. is brilliant. Do check it out.

6. RagingLion says:

This very much reminds me on “0Space” – which is a lot of fun, just with gravity this time. Maybe made by the same person?

7. Berzee says:

I knew this looked familiar…

It’s fun to watch the graphical progress of something and then see it in REAL LIFE!

8. MrLebanon says:

I’m completely in love with this emergence of local PC multiplayer… I’ve been having friends like… over to my house to play stuff o.0

• Jibb Smart says:

For sure man. There’s no reason PC shouldn’t get at least as much local-love as consoles do — more, in fact, since the latest generation of consoles has been pretty rubbish about local multiplayer since they’re all online-capable now.

I recommend checking out the free alpha for KarBOOM for some more local multiplayer on the PC. I have to confess that this is self-promotion – it’s my game. But it’s also on-topic, isn’t it?

9. Viper50BMG says:

Was I the only one who got a massive 0Space vibe from this? (http://teknopants.com/games/0space/)
    Another fantastic meatspace deathmatch game that my LAN party friends and I seem to never tire of. Check it out, it’s amazing.

Dilapinated says:

That does indeed look amazing. Thanks for pointing it out!

• oyog says:

My girlfriend and I love playing 0Space with our friend. Particularly on her laptop with microphone as the microphone records while we play and plays back our voices during the replay of each game. It can get pretty hilarious.

Hell of a lot of fun, just wish Teknopants would release a level editor.

• Viper50BMG says:

A level editor would be awesome! (I wonder how much we’d need to bribe him…)