Here Is What Standalone Day Z Will Look Like

By Nathan Grayson on October 16th, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

It will look like an eerily pleasant real estate ad, obviously.

For a while, it seemed like Day Z and Arma II would be one of those hair-pulling, plate-flinging couples that never musters the guts to actually make a clean break. “Oh, I’m really leaving this time,” Day Z would bellow, hesitantly hokey pokeying its way out the door. “Yep. Here I goooooo.” And then… nothing. Moving on, after all, is tough – especially when the old relationship was comfortable and also supplied you with all of your vital organs, which you’re now in the process of clawing from your stomach to replace with new ones. I think we’ve all been there. But now, Rocket’s given standalone Day Z’s alpha a release window, and it’s right around the corner. So then, let’s take a look inside, shall we?

Admittedly, if you were expecting a massive graphical overhaul, you might have just felt a tinge of disappointment sink its fangs into your smile. This upgrade, however, is more about form than function. Hall explained:

“Our artists have been very busy, methodically going through all buildings in Chernarus and adding interiors. The task can be pretty difficult, when the buildings were made, interiors were not considered so it can be a challenge for the artists to make the interiors both look correct and work properly.”

“This is complicated by our desire to dramatically increase performance, and given the scene complexity inside cities we need to balance this with the desire to increase building scavenging opportunities inside the cities.”

So it’s a juggling act, but one with exceedingly admirable intentions given the Day Z mod’s current state of worrisome wobbliness. Will it pay off? Only time (and, after that, heaps of testing) will tell for certain. Granted, this one’s still ultimately rooted in Arma, so concerns about clunkiness, zombie behavior, etc are entirely understandable. Fear that its ornate Persian rugs will be subpar, however, is not.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. woodsey says:

Looks fine to me – the graphics in the mod don’t hamper the atmosphere at all. Wouldn’t mind seeing character models perked up a little, but that’s about it.

2. ohyeah says:

shining tables ahoy!

• innociv says:

Yeah. Too much bloom. The bloom is probably why things look so saturated, too.

And it still looks bad in dark areas. :(

3. tsuD says:

My Day-Zire to play this game keeps increasing as time goes on.

• The Random One says:

Likewise, I’m undying to play it!

• DJ Madeira says:

I’m DayZed by the possibilities.

• Postal76 says:

Cool, it’s like I’m on reddit. Then again, this site does have a shitty pun in every other headline, so I guess this fits in on RPS as well.

• S Jay says:

We shall Zee if it will be any good

4. kyrieee says:

Apparently the zombie apocalypse does wonders for tablecloths.

5. aepervius says:

My main grip is the insane control scheme of arma2. If they can get that simplified, then I am sold.

• dee says:

Eh, DayZ doesn’t even use the complicated bits. I’m mainly concerned about the zombie pathfinding. It’s fun to sneak around them, but fighting them is just tiresome when they instantly turn 45 degrees in full sprint. It makes it no fun to lose blood and characters to them.

• dee says:

They don’t seem to have reeled in ARMA 2′s bloom. Yikes.

edit: meant to be it’s own post whatever

• Mad Hamish says:

Fuck it I’ve loved those clunky controls since Flashpoint. It’s the only series of games where I’ve actually felt like I occupy a body. They could maybe smooth out and blend the canned animation but I still hope it remains a bit clunky. The human body’s pretty clunky itself(hopefully not just mine) and I pretty sick of the floatyness of pretty much every FPS ever made.

Also, Alt to free look independent of movement should be in every FPS.

• Synesthesia says:

You make a very good point. They should, though, let me get through doors and up stairs without my gun clipping everywhere and getting me stuck. The clumsiness of long guns in interiors could be maybe translated into extra noise, or slower/worse aiming?

• Mattressi says:

I agree, but I’d rather that your character would simply lower their weapon when it’s too long to fit. People do this automatically IRL, so why not ingame? That way long guns still have a realistic disadvantage indoors, but they don’t physically prohibit you from moving indoors.

Also, in Arma 2 (Chernarus map), I still get stuck in doorways even with my weapon lowered. It’s really bloody annoying. The only way to get through some doorways (like the office building in Electro) is to walk perpendicularly through them (i.e. facing straight at the doorway. For some reason, moving sideways (with the weapon lowered or even not equipped) makes you less able to get through some doorways. Apparently your character has a beer belly that would make Australian bogans proud.

• benkc says:

That’s half of what needs fixing* — it should also be possible to crawl through doors and up stairs without getting stuck or automatically forced into a full-upright position. I can’t tell you how much trouble I’ve had with that.

* with regard to doors & stairs, that is

• jonfitt says:

How many times a day to you get wedged in a doorway?

• BAshment says:

That’s why you lower your weapon indoors.

• Wreckdum says:

I can walk through a doorway with a weapon irl… What massive meat wall can’t fit through a doorway holding a rifle? It doesn’t increase the width of your body. Maybe if you tried to sidestep through a doorway with a weapon at the ready it could create a problem.

The engine is bad for infantry combat. It always has been. That’s the nature of the beast though for a game that does infantry, ground vehicles and air vehicles. It’s a jack of all trades, master of none.

Orrrr they just need to find healthier food choices in Chernarus.

• Cerebulon says:

The engine isn’t at all bad for infantry combat. It’s what it was made for and it works very well… At medium/long range.
            You would however be right to say that it’s pretty bad for urban combat and interior combat. Very bad, even. The AI has never been able to get its head around it and players have problems like guns getting wedged into doorframes at an angle. It was never really designed for it and it may be interesting to see if they sort any of it out in standalone DayZ and indeed Arma 3.

• haradaya says:

The infantry freelook is my favorite thing in ArmA 2. I agree it should be standard, cause it hammers the immersion up quite a bit.

• sinister agent says:

Agreed. Every time I spend a few days in Arma, I pick up the habit again, and find myself automatically trying to crane my in-game neck around in every other shooter, then remembering. It’s such a small thing, but makes so much sense.

• derbefrier says:

well my biggest gripe was with how inventory management was done. I mean it worked but it was needlessly complicated and annoying to work with. you know your inventory system is a little stupid when people have to ask in general chat how to equip a gun. Actually controlling your survivor though I thought was fine other than getting stuck in doorways and breaking your leg trying to jump over a fence. oh and dont forget ladders the most dangerous thing in Day Z.

• woodsey says:

Rocket’s talked about making the inventory screen less complicated for a while now.

I’m used to it now so it makes no odds to me really, but I certainly wouldn’t complain if there were some alterations.

6. Jimmy says:

“All our luxury properties come with bespoke furniture suited to your every need, such as a minimalist wooden table laden with a brightly coloured table cloth, our acclaimed “stained” curtains, and retro televisions from the 1980s to recreate that cold war peace of mind. Like your designer jeans, our “mouldish” wallpapers are industrially aged and our floodboards ocassionally interspersed by sheer rock. Pay a deposit now and receive three months supply of wood for free!”

• AngoraFish says:

win

• The Random One says:

Reserve a room at Chernarus Hipster Retreat now. Our operators are standing by with retro mouthpieces attached to their iPhones.

7. Hahaha says:

Looks like arma

• Mad Hamish says:

Now that we’ve established that, you’re going to have to use your genius to figure out why it looks like Arma. Our best minds have failed this task. I only hope you are up to it

• Hahaha says:

With a headline like

“Here Is What Standalone Day Z Will Look Like”

What did you expect.

• Mad Hamish says:

It wasn’t a competition. No prizes for guessing it right.

• Hahaha says:

Ahhhh your upset someone else got to post it before you that’s so sweet, don’t cry.

• Mad Hamish says:

Your powers of stating the glaringly obvious things that no one else would even be arsed saying are slipping. I was actually crying because I didn’t get a pun in the top post.

• Hahaha says:

My power of stating the glaringly obvious things that no one else would even be arsed saying are brand new and have only been tested in that post, I’m sure with dedication and training it will improve.

• monsterZERO says:

Lol @Mad Hamish… Brilliant

• DarkFenix says:

That comment just made my day Mad Hamish.

• DrGonzo says:

Hahaha! @Mad Hamish @Hahaha

Now I’ve confused myself.

8. Inigo says:

In Chernarus it’s traditional to pile gravel in one corner of your house.

• The Random One says:

Maybe it takes place in the Team Fortress 2 universe.

“Gravel… It’s just like coal, right?”

9. tigershuffle says:

would like to say the tumblr/twitter thingy does explain that they will be Zombie-fieing the interior to make it look a bit less Barratts show homes clean.
    More grubby look and broken furniture to be applied.

The more interesting aspect for me isnt the look, but the fact an entire village including barns and sheds are enterable.

Getting the balance for loot is gonna be the difficult thing.

Could be boring checking every single house in a village to get the similar loot to current amount ……or there will just be too much?!?
    I assume the zeds will follow you in to buildings and be more tenacious in standalone

ps……if youre an ancient gamer feel free to check out Fogeyz site for 30+ cardigan n slipper wearing survivors :D

10. purdz says:

I think it’s important to point out that this is by no means the finished article or even at high gfx settings.

“Please note these are work-in-progress shots, with only basic texture work and initial lighting passes. I picked a random town in the game and took screenshots of a few of the houses. The screenshots are taken on “Normal” graphic settings (medium texture resolution) and are unaltered and uncropped.”

As has been mentioned though the ‘prettiness’ of the game doesn’t really detract from the experience If they can just reverse the hacking issues and some of the major bugs for the standalone release then they will probably attract back all of the player numbers again. More enterable buildings and the promise of more content is enough to keep me excited about this.

Some of the other RPs guys and I took a short trip back into dayz the other day and the fun/experience was still there.

• Panda Powered says:

I’m playing on Lingor servers until Standalone is released. So far it has been way more fun with more enterable buildings, a smaller map and easier to get good loot in shorter time.
      At least its not as bad when some script kid decides to screw over everyone on the server when you can just get back to the same “level” of gear in a short amount of time.

For anyone who has been gone from DayZ and want to get back in, just use DayZ Commander if you want to try the alternate maps, its just a few clicks to get everything sorted.

• purdz says:

I did play Lingor for a bit but imo it lacked what DayZ was really about purely for the reasons you state. It’s not all about getting the best gear and then going on a killing spree it was more about trying to get to that level and then surviving, usually with a group of others. It was way too easy to come across other players on Lingor and it was just a case of get some guns and then camp and kill from what I could see.

11. thepaleking says:

I would gladly sacrifice some shiny graphical doodads for the ability to enter every house or building in site.

12. brulleks says:

Looks reasonably rug-ged to me.

13. DaWalrus says:

Jesus Christ that bloom.
    Looks like Oblivion.

• phelix says:

Heh, Oblivion’s much worse. I can never get myself to play that game without running everything through OBGE first.

14. tigershuffle says:

oh…….and some of these rooms should deffo have cellars ……
    *green arrow *…..lift cellar door …..climb down

gets eaten by zed

15. alilsneaky says:

Adding interiors for every building is one of the most important things I can think of for dayZ.
    First thing that struck me and put me off the mod was that only 5-6 building types out of hundreds can be entered… The ‘cornflakes boxes’ comment from total bisquit was pretty accurate here…

Now if they can fix the wonky animations and figure out a way to make the zombie ai more interesting it might actually become more of a game world than just novelty/atmosphere.

• Cytrom says:

Having all buildings enterable can have a pretty devastating effect on performance though, unless they are very smart about optimising it (which also means compromises.. a lot of them, and some decent engine coding abilities)

16. Larios says:

looks like its shopped

17. fionny says:

I cannot wait to play this, I stopped playing the mod after a patch that broke things and I died because I zombie saw me from 1.5million miles away and killed due to my already broken leg.

But that said the immersion in the game is second to none. The joy playing it when you find a cool weapon, the shiver up your spine when you hear gun shots in the distance or hear footsteps. The utter devastation when you die.

Brilliant.

18. Derezzedjack says:

Does anybody know if this will also use the current zombie spawn thingy? A few updates ago the started spawning zombies on clients which ruins my experience, because I can’t use VOIP at the same time because of that. If that is still in there then there’s no way I’ll be buying the standalone. I really looked forward to it! :(

19. DXN says:

Arma 2 already looks great on a decent rig, IMO, and considering the amount of stuff the engine has to handle it’s pretty astounding. I’d be perfectly happy with the existing graphics if they do well at improving Day Z’s other weak points.

20. Armitage says:

That doesn’t look like a zombie apocalyse to me.

• Shodex says:

That’s because it isn’t, it’s just a room. A room in which a virtual zombie apocolypse will take place in the near future.

21. Carbonated Dan says:

This started as a reply to the chap with the control concerns, but I got all sentimental.

I honestly believe that the soundscapes of Chernarus’ verdant, gentle topography combine with the players’ rare fidelity of agency to manifest a more lucid and beautiful world than any Crysis or Battleflid

that these sensibilities are being brought to bear making the houses seem homes is more valuable, as far as I’m concerned, than slapping brasso on the shinies or simplifying the range of inputs

a more stable thing would be pleasant

22. Bobtree says:

No-HDR option please.

23. clive dunn says:

Ah shit, I haven’t played Day Z for months and I just remembered I left my guy in the middle of some woods miles away from anywhere. He’ll certainly be dead now, can someone tell his mom and dad I’m sorry? Ta.

• Sean says:

I would naturally, but I think I left my guy standing on a runway months ago. He’ll be dead at any rate, maybe runned over by a plane.

24. wodin says:

I want a prison..also maybe they’d have be better at starting from scratch or using a different engine entirely..who knows..

25. Numerical says:

I love this game, and while i love this game, i cannot play it simply due to the terribly bad animations, mainly the running animations and the zombies that flick in and out of existence to appear right in front of you or hit you from ten yards away. Great they’re making interiors, yay, but for me the game lost any and all luster when the zombies have teleportation abilities.

26. Artii says:

I am afraid i must point out a fatal and factual fault made in the article….that is no Persian rug .I am sorry ,but that discredits the entirety of the article !