Wot I Think: DMC – Devil May Cry

By Adam Smith on January 15th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

It is entirely possible that the graffiti is symbolising something. But what?

Devil May Cry: Devil May Cry is a reboot, designed by a new studio and starring a new character with an old (old) name. Dante’s back with a new attitude, a new haircut and a new voice. He loves the ladies but he really hates The Man, and when he settles into the rhythm of demon-killing and corporate takedowns, he’s surprisingly good company. Here’s wot I think.

Within the first few minutes of DMC, mod/punk antagonist Dante has visited a strip club, taken two of the employees to his trailer for a night of grubby pleasure and flown through the air, naked, with some junk food covering his junk. He’s also pissed up on liquor – brand 666. It’s as if Ninja Theory are poking a stick through the monitor, probably with a willy and some barbed wire drawn on it, and saying, ‘this ain’t your grandad’s Dante, kiddo’. He even rejects a white wig that falls onto his bonce at one point in the first level, pouring scorn on the very notion of being that guy. What a rebel! He won’t be what you or anybody else wants him to be!

Unfortunately, a lot of people are probably just sitting there throughout those early sequences, taking the blows to the face, and thinking: ‘Is this anyone’s Dante?’

Dante has a massive arse

I can’t claim any real affection for or connection to silver-haired Dante of old, only having played the first game many years ago, but I was perturbed by the idea of spending fifteen hours or so in the company of a man who probably hears Combichrist playing in his head when he cartwheels around the room in slow motion every morning, eventually landing in his socks. Here’s a shocker – by the end of the game, I liked the little ragamuffin. After a couple of levels, the rebel finds a cause, learns that he is half demon and half angel, and has an enemy worth fighting. From there on in, the good times roll.

The combat is the cake and the world is the icing, and just as when I’m not talking in daft metaphors, I tend to prefer the icing to the cake. But let’s cover combat first.

It begins with the basics, which in this case are sword combos, dual pistols, dodges and launches. The latter make space for aerial combos, juggling and, my early favourite, suspending monsters in the air by repeatedly shooting them. It’s a crap move that hardly does any damage and leaves Dante vulnerable, but it’s handy for stringing combos together and it sums up the series’ approach to physics. As Dante might say, ‘I don’t give a shit about physics’, or, if he wished to be succinct, ‘fuck physics’.

one street seems immediately less problematic than the other

Just as the ludicrous excess of the story and characters becomes enjoyable once Dante finds his calling, so does the combat. Everything before that is tutorial but once the angel and demon weapons come into play, each attached to a trigger, it’s possible to build massive combos, varying styles and discovering neat little tricks along the way. Every weapon can be upgraded, adding new moves or buffing existing ones, and while I found my favourites, by the end of the game I’d maxed out almost everything and was happily switching between scythe, axe and flaming fists during every fight.

That may be a problem. I’m usually not very good at games that make demands on my ability to remember and repeat button sequences quickly, and yet I was vaulting, stabbing and smashing my way through DMC like a master. Admittedly, I was only on the normal difficulty setting and there’s a harder one available from the start and plenty more to unlock, but the combat is certainly less challenging than what I remember of the original and it’s a far cry from Bayonetta’s intricacy.

I’ve tried Dante Must Die mode, now that it’s unlocked, and it does mix up the number of enemies and when they appear rather than just making them harder to kill, so that’s promising. There’s plenty to discover just off the beating tracks, including timed arena missions, and different demons, particularly in groups, do require different approaches.

I think this is one is called a 'tryant'. Or maybe it's a 'devilish blighted heirophant of the dark one'. Or a 'blasphemous git'. Something like that.

Some people, particularly the very people already irritated by Dante’s redesign, will no doubt bash the game for being oversimplified but I’m quite pleased that I was able to enjoy it at my level, and it’s not as if I was just mashing the same button again and again. Rather than trying to survive the fights, I was trying to reach ‘SSS’ rank on them and that was a challenge requiring use of chains, dodges, environmental kills, friendly fire kills, parries, deflections and every weapon available.

Along with the combat there are some traversal skills to master. The game is at its weakest in the platforming sections, although it never dallies in them for long, but swinging through the collapsing, metamorphosing city as it rearranges itself to trap and crush is usually a blast, even if it’s mostly a case of following the glowing grapple targets. The spectacle of the environments generally makes the ride worthwhile though.

When DMC isn’t in cutscene mode, Dante tends to be in Limbo. Like the man himself, the city that the game takes place in has two sides and limbo is the side where all the ludicrous fighting takes place. The transformations, from recognisable city streets and office buildings to demon-infested wonderlands, are often spectacular and almost constant.

It's not all fire and darkness, see?

I use the term ‘wonderlands’ because the design of the other world, twisted and spatially confused, reminded me of Alice: Madness Returns. Imagine Alice with enjoyable combat! DMC’s veiled realities aren’t the heavy metal album covers I feared they might be; instead, there’s a variety of imaginative madness, with a stand-out series of missions taking place inside the city’s reflection. Water drips up, which is actually down, and trains scream by overhead, as Dante battles across the bottom of their tracks. I’ll say no more, but it’s a startling sequence and although it relies too heavily on obvious grapple points at times, moving through the world is a joy.

The game doesn’t entirely avoid the problem of empowering cutscene-Dante with a grace and poise that can’t be replicated using the controller. Occasionally something throws a building at him and he sidesteps, barks out a ‘fuck you’ and looks pleased with himself, not a hair out of place, but when he’s punching The Media in the face while running through data streams and television broadcasts, the player is largely in control. And, yes, all of that happens.

There’s even a bit where Dante beats up dubstep. Sort of. It’s tenuous, I’ll grant, but he’s basically at war with a nightclub and the music isn’t on his side.

Fairly unbalanced

It’s mostly bombastic stuff that seems to feel more at home in your face than your own tongue does, but there are smaller touches that I appreciated. Humans flicker through the environments phantom-like, their world parallel but different to limbo, and they can be seen fleeing and panicking as the city ripples and erupts. And there are quiet moments in the script as well, with Dante rapidly maturing and taking responsibility as he progresses from flippant teen anarchist to flippant teen saviour.

The bonkers plot never takes itself too seriously but in Dante’s allies Kat and Vergil there are characters with actual personalities. Kat, in particular, is good company, with her spray-paint spells and human resolve. It’s slightly disappointing when the camera insists that her backside deserves centre stage from time to time, but the voice acting is strong and she’s easy to like. Besides, it’s hard to ignore the fact that Dante is the real airhead eye candy here.

More problematic are the journeys into body horror, which occasionally descends into a grotesqueness that doesn’t fit well with the quips and inane swearfests punctuating the boss battles. I’m not particularly squeamish but one encounter made me abandon my pastrami on rye and shudder a little. It involves a demon wearing a human skin which resembles Ida, the plastic surgery addict from Gilliam’s Brazil, and culminates in an inversion of pregnancy that brought back nightmarish memories of the Garbage Pail Kids.

squinting eyes

Most of the enemies look like constructs rather than people and while I can dig the idea of demons perverting the human form, DMC is at its best when it’s silly rather than Silent Hilly. It’s testament to the rest of the game’s gigglesome nature that the horrible gross-out nature of that particular strand of the plot didn’t completely spoil my mood. It’s a tonal semi-shift into the queasy and dehumanising that feels unearned and unnecessary.

Thankfully, for most of the fifteen hours or so that it takes to complete the story, DMC is one of the daftest games of recent times. You will destroy a soft drink company and an alternate world Fox News. You will see bankers bashing their heads against walls and crawling on ceilings, having literally lost their souls to the almighty dollar. All of it looks the part too. It’s the sort of game in which the art design is more important than the tech but the port seems spot on, always running at a healthy clip, and you can see the graphics options for yourself in the pic below. I’d advise a controller, although keyboard and mouse is supported. That’s not for me though, not in this sort of game.

You guys love Vsync, right? Turns out it's the endgame boss!

I pursed my lips and made a note as soon as I saw Dante surrounded by saucy angels on the menu screen, seemingly pointing them toward his action-less Action Man crotch. And yet, in all of its sound and fury, the game has an infectious sense of humour and an inventive sense of style. Just as the combat is picking up there’s a scene that tells Dante’s backstory by means of some nifty street art and after that unexpected pleasure it’s the missteps that surprise rather than the slickness of the rest. Just be warned, when Ninja Theory do bad taste, they don’t pull their punches.

DMC: Devil May Cry is out for PC on January 25th.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , , .

1. caddyB says:

I may buy it then.

2. gnodab says:

Adam I really, really like when you write this way

• Skabooga says:

Indeed, a supreme Wot I Think. Also, full of alt-text for all the pictures to boot! And the header subtitle made me giggle mightily.

• Toberoth says:

Agreed, a splendid WIT. Nice to see all the bases covered as well, including the quality of the port.

• MondSemmel says:

Yep. I appreciate the alt text, and even the screenshot of the available graphics options. (That said, my default expectation if those aren’t mentioned is that they are okay.)

3. Bhazor says:

He looks like a massive pillock though.

I’ve only played DMC4 and thought it was pretty dire apart from a few high points. I completed the game by spamming two or three attacks and after maybe the halfway point of the first “half” I had seen every enemy in the game. Then you unlock Dante. And play the whole frickin’ game again with the only real difference being that you play them in reverse order. It even had the same boss fights. I have never been so amazed at the sheer balls of a designer to do something that cheap.

I’ve just never seen the appeal of DMC I guess. To me it doesn’t have the precision of God Hand or Ninja Gaiden Black, or the puzzles and variety of God of War and with Bayonetta out it can’t even claim to be the most outrageous/irreverent game anymore. By the sounds of it that hasn’t changed, it gives you a bunch of moves to make a combo with but no reason to use them other than a high score. In those other games I mentioned you need all the moves just to survive.

• Adam Smith says:

I do make very little effort and rely on clothes from the distant nineties, but that’s harsh!

• Toberoth says:

Remember the “ending” of Super Ghouls and Ghosts? :-D

• Bhazor says:

I’d almost forgive Ghouls and Ghosts because it was a common thing at the time to have to replay a game for the “true ending”. But to do it in space year 20XX? That is just incredible.

• Toberoth says:

Yeah, I replayed SGnG recently, having forgotten about the cheapo “do it all again” ending, and I found it kinda cute rather than aggravating. It was a vaguely nostalgic “oh you! oh the 90s!” sort of moment. I didn’t replay it to get the proper ending, mind. And I didn’t know DMC4 pulled the same stunt. That’s kinda hilarious, actually!

• Xardas Kane says:

You played the wrong DMC. The third one is pretty much unanimously considered to be the best and can definitely be challenging even on Medium. Not to mention it’s a much better game overall and doesn’t resort to cheap tricks like reusing levels and bosses.

• Brigand says:

Yeah the fourth one was by far the easiest, and not very memorable. However, the boss battles in the first and third ones on the higher difficulties were some of the most challenging and rewarding gameplay i’ve ever experienced.

4. Paul says:

Only played DMC4, finished it too on PC, pretty good game..but somehow I cannot muster any enthusiasm for this one :(
    Maybe later when it is cheaper.

5. bit.bat says:

I think Ninja Theory are quite a talented bunch, its nice to see them continue their good work.

6. db1331 says:

I didn’t even realize this was on PC until I saw this post…

7. tobecooper says:

Now, answer the real questions, Mr Smith – does he cry? And more importantly, is it a spoiler that the protagonist who’s half devil cries in a game called Devil May Cry?

(Ah, but ‘half’ may be a clue. Does he cry with one eye only?)

8. AmateurScience says:

Sterling alt-text work there sir. Keep it up!

9. JackDandy says:

I hope this piece of shit bombs.

• Toberoth says:

Why?

• JackDandy says:

The combat isn’t up to par with the previous titles, and I dislike the new setting and characters.

In one scene, “Dante” gloats about watching an unborn baby getting killed.

This isn’t the DMC I’ve grown to love and enjoy.

• Toberoth says:

Have you played it already?

• JackDandy says:

Yep, played it on a friend’s PS3 since I don’t have one. The combat is far more simple and really isn’t as satisfying.
            Also, the fact it’s stuck at 30FPS and even then it stutters, is embarrassing. Past DMC games all kept a constant 60FPS.

I know it’s fixed in the PC version, but I despise the fact they’re trying to make this 30FPS limit the norm for console players.

• AmateurScience says:

Being locked at 30 fps on console isn’t super relevant in terms of the PC version though is it?

• excel_excel says:

Yeah but….its a demon baby. A bit of a difference there!

• Syra says:

Seemed like someone else shot it anyway, also it was an evil hellspawn?

I’m just glad they rebooted that stale old rubbish with no personality… This almost interests me more.

• Bhazor says:

Oh my god. Those graphics are terrible.

Oh and shooting a pregnant woman isn’t cool either.

• Adam Smith says:

In the game I played he’s actually dismayed about it and the child and bearer are clearly inhuman. But it ties in with the body horror I was uncomfortable with and deserves attention for sure. I found the previous depiction which I described much more problematic.

• maximiZe says:

Well, at least RPS didn’t disappoint me by not mentioning this part like basically every other review I’ve read so far.
            While the environments do look nice I keep thinking that there are limits to how far a casual chum in regards to combos can analyze a supposedly deep combat system. I wouldn’t go to RPS for, say, a review of the newest entry in the Street Fighter series either.

Again, the review covers every base as far as I can tell which is definitely a good thing and why I visit this site. But it still fails to interest me in this vile, baby-sniping swearing fest with nothing but flashy, undemanding combat behind it.

• MrUnimport says:

As tasteless as that part is, it’s contextualized as a taunt intended to enrage the bad guy and make him lose his cool.

• maninahat says:

Yeah, it looks like he was deliberately being as big an asshole as possible, trying to distract the guy away from the giant glowing power thing. I got that without even having played a Devil may Cry game.

• Milky1985 says:

Might not be the one you liked,but judging by this review and nearly every other one out there at the moment its still a good game (lowest score yesterday was 7/10, but it was release day so maybe the negative scores will come out near the end of the week.)

PC version for me is already pre-ordered via the green man gaming 25% off deal so roll on next Friday!

• Hef34 says:

To be fair, that baby was a previous boss monster and is hardly defenceless. It is also the child of a demon god who killed your mother. Context.

10. Salix says:

Icing over cake? Blasphemy!

The game sounds tempting, but I think I’d probably get more enjoyment out of watching others play it (I am very not good at action-type games).

11. KilgoreTrout_XL says:

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is still one of my favorite games of the past 2 or 3 years. Can’t wait to see what they do with Devil May Cry. I’m a fan of the series, but I never gave a shit about the color of dante’s hair.

• Lekker says:

Oh yes, definitely agree. Such underrated game. Great characters, beautiful yet unsettling environments, good gameplay.

Also don’t forget, Heavenly Sword (I played it on hardest difficulty, and actually split a controller in half , but I beat it anyway, great game too).

• malkav11 says:

Not a big fan of Heavenly Sword’s gameplay, but Ninja Style sure do have heaping helpings of talent when it comes to visuals – not just sheer technical prowess (though they have that too), but in terms of interesting and unique design. And pretty good storytelling and characters and writing, too. These being the things I value most in gaming, I have been rooting for them for a while now. Certainly I expect to enjoy their take on Devil May Cry more than Capcom’s.

12. Toberoth says:

Crikey, I’ve had my eye on this, thought it looked good, and now it turns out it actually IS good! Looks like I’ll be buying it then :-) I haven’t played a good action-shooty-slicey-jumpy game in a while.

13. dE says:

Concerning the ease of combos being pulled off:
    It’s actually somewhat of a staple in the series, the automatic mode (at least 3 and 4 had it, I think the first one had it too but that’s ages ago). I’m wondering whether it’s possible to simply deactivate it, like in the previous games or if it is mandatory?
    One way or another, I don’t really mind, I’m more interested in flow than hammering precise combos. Which is also why I like Kung Fu Fighting much more than Street Fighter. Oh the pitchforks and torches!

In general, it’s good to hear that sillyness is still there. I was really affraid it would be drowned in all that teenager angst. I may give this game a try, couple of months down the road. Before that, I’ll be busy with ToME.

14. Oozo says:

So conflicted. I thought the game was nice enough, whenever it let me play. Thought that the cut-scene dialogue was the very definition of try-hard and Dante a bit of an arse. “Gritty”, without ever being worthy of losing the scare quotes.

Then again, it was only a demo, I do trust Adam’s taste, and I stopped playing “Bayonetta” because the loading times drove me nuts. So, a good brawler on PC? Sounds good. Plus, that haircut really is MAJESTIC.

15. MellowKrogoth says:

“It’s slightly disappointing when the camera insists that her backside deserves centre stage from time to time”

It’s a game targeted at guys. Guys often decide that a lady’s backstage deserves center stage and point their “camera” there. Therefore I’m slightly disappointed that you take offense at the in-game camera playfully acknowledging that fact.

But don’t stop here in your quest for public morality! I suggest that when you wander around the streets you purse your lips and make a note each time you notice a guy staring at a girl’s arse ;) .

• Adam Smith says:

It’s a nice backside! But I think the game is targeted at people and Dante is a hottie too, it’s just that he doesn’t get dissected quite as clearly. It’s good, sexy fun on the whole though.

• MrUnimport says:

I think the general objection isn’t to media that depict men looking at womanly bits, but rather to media in which the impartial narrating eye of the camera also looks at the womanly bits, because it presupposes that the player has an interest in the womanly bits.

16. Shadram says:

I’ve never played a DMC game before, so I’m bemused by the rage some people are displaying, but I think this Dante is, well… hot. It’s nice to see some gratuitous sexing-up of a male character that doesn’t involve muscles the size of planets, and instead focusing on making a guy that could go and pull strippers in a strip club.

Maybe all the hate from the teenage straight male contingent (let’s face it, no adult would get so angry at a game) is due to feeling threatened in their quest for alpha-male status.

• MrUnimport says:

The only possible reason somebody could be upset at a nihilistic slacker anarchist reinterpretation of a familiar video game character is out of petty jealousy. Of course.

• Shadram says:

Of course. Nihilistic slacker anarchists are cool. And hot. You’re just jealous of his apparent ability to break the laws of physics.

• DXN says:

Hell yeah. Yay for male eye-candy. More please!

• Low Life says:

I haven’t played DMC that much (and thus don’t really care about Dante), but I can well understand that a complete (? I don’t know how different the new Dante acts) redesign of a loved protagonist in a long-lasting game series can be a bit annoying for fans. One example of my own would be Bioware completely changing the default female Shepard in ME3 – at least that game allowed importing my old femShep and thus keeping the old looks.

The new DMC seems to be a reboot so at least changing the looks makes sense in that regard. And then there’s the fact that Bond’s been changing for decades now and no one’s complaining, so maybe we’ll just need to get used to that in games, too :)

• Jae Armstrong says:

Ahaha, fuck, that made me laugh. No, I can assure you that’s not it. Dante has always been a fabulously gorgeous motherfucker with exactly zero qualms about flaunting it. It’s one of the reasons he’s so beloved.

No, fan complaints during development generally revolved around Dante’s apparent shift from a cocksure, devil may care ham to a more cynical, bitter character, a 30 FPS framelimit (I’m told this has significant consequences for responsiveness), and Ninja Theory’s (apparently) appalling track record.

Haven’t played it yet, so I can’t really speak to whether these hold up.

• Shadram says:

As I say, I’ve not paid any attention to the earlier games. I’m mostly partaking in some light hearted fan-baiting, with a side order of ‘phwoar’.

• Milky1985 says:

Been reading some sites which say that it runs internally at 60 FPS for game calculations but only 30 frames are rendered so some of that isn’t as bad as people say.

Dunno about the PC version however.

That could have also just been a fever dream

• voorsk says:

Appalling track record? Heavenly Sword and Enslaved were amazing games, and both have a Metacritic score of over 80%. They just didn’t sell well because gamers are mostly idiots who care more about guns than stories or memorable characters.

• welverin says:

Got to back you up on this one, both were good games and the reason I’m even interested in DmC is because it’s Ninja Theory making it.

I’d add that Heavenly Sword not selling well would have to also be partly due to it’s be a launch day exclusive for the PS3.

• I Got Pineapples says:

Yeah. You’re reaching a bit.

Hell, Old Dante used to wear skin tight leather pants.

Bronte…wait that doesn’t work. Bro-te?….

This guy here is all kinds of butched up and unmanprettied from his previous iteration.

• Shadram says:

I do like the idea of the Brontes smacking up some demon arse. Emily and Charlotte, with the others as pre-purchase DLC. Corsets and combos… could be the start of a new genre.

• noom says:

I second that he’s hawt. I say this a straight man. Totally would anyway.

17. Buemba says:

Just checked the Steam page and it doesn’t seem to mention GfWL. Did Capcom finally drop it?

Can’t say I find the character or his attitude appealing, but then again, I felt the same way about classic Dante (And most protagonists in these types of action games, now that I think about it), but with all the praise the game got I think I might check it out.

• Adam Smith says:

No gfwl on the review copy.
      Usually means not there at all. Haven’t seen release copy since it ain’t out yet but I’ll check with Capcom. Presumably nay.

• Buemba says:

If that turns out to be the case it’ll be pretty good news. I thought Capcom was the last big publisher that was still using GfWL, right? The only other I can think of was Codemasters, but looks like they dropped it with Dirt Showdown and F1 2012.

Thanks for checking it, by the way.

• Adam Smith says:

I’ll have an answer as soon as possible and definitely before release. If it had been in the review copy i’d have mentioned it.

• Shadram says:

Warner Bros still seem to be using GfWL. At least, the Batman: Arkham games both did.

• Buemba says:

The Arkham games seem to be the exception, though. Scribblenauts Unlimited, Lego Lord of the Rings, War in the North, FEAR 3 and Bastion don’t use it.

Maybe Rocksteady has a special deal with Microsoft or something?

18. hemmingjay says:

I was out pretty late at the pub and am suffering from a series of bad decisions at the moment. Could you please cater to my hangover and assign this a proper fraction as I am having trouble navigating this compelling and verbose narrative review. I tip my cap in your general direction good sir.

19. J_C says:

Pretty funny that most people hate on the new Dante, yet Vergil is the character who was butchered the most. I mean, look at that silly hat. Is he Grandpa Vergil or what? His behaviour is also changed quite a lot.

Anyway, playing and reviewing the game right now. I am a long time DMC player, so it took a little time to get used to the new setting and characters. But I managed because it is just fluff.

But the gameplay is not fluff, it is a major point of any DMC game, and while the new one is OK on its own, it doesn’t hold a candle to the previous games. It is ridiculously easy, you don’t need skill to pull of wild combos. You can stay in the air for a long time, when this was the hardest thing in the previous games. If this game had the combat system of DMC3, and an unlockable Old Dante skin, it would be a no brainer for any DMC fan. This way, it is just a decent reboot.

I have a feeling that the game will sell less than DMC4 for example. Capcom lost too many fans with this game, and gathered less new players because of the dumbing down of gameplay. I’m honestly curious what will Capcom do next? Will they go back to the roots or dumb it down further?

• Shadram says:

I’d actually say this reboot is likely to get them more sales. I wouldn’t have even read the WIT if it was just DMC5, since I’ve never played or paid any attention to DMCs 1 to 4, but this reboot caught my eye and now I want to play it. If you only cater to fans of previous games, you’ll only get diminishing returns, where a reboot allows new players in too.

• J_C says:

That’s true but you still have to take into account the old fans who will not play the game because it is a big departure from the older games.

And honestly, this beat em up, hack and slash genre never was a big hitter. The games sell a few million at most. Which is not bad, but Capcom thinks it can do more. Of course there is a difference, Dmc is good on its own, while RE6 was a mess.

Mark my words, they messed it up. They did the same with Resident Evil, turning it into an action game, and the new one was a flop.

• Sir-Lucius says:

The new DMC is more comparable to Resident Evil 4 than RE6 when looking at how Capcom has rebooted the each franchise. RE6 is the second sequel after Capcom sent the franchise in a more action oriented direction.

And RE4 is a complete joke compared to the originals when comparing difficulty. Yet 4 is considered the best RE ever by a large number, if not the majority, of gamers. I’m sure they’ll lose some of the hardcore fans, but judging by early reviews I doubt the game will flop like RE6. They’re going to be bringing in a lot of new fans and people that enjoy hack and slash games but don’t want the insane difficulty spikes of the DMC’s of old and Bayonetta’s of the world.

• I Got Pineapples says:

Oh, let’s not going comparing things to Resident Evil 4, arguably one of the best games of the last console generation.

I mean, you can but it should generally go ‘This isn’t as good as Resident Evil 4′

• Sir-Lucius says:

I wasn’t trying to make a direct comparison. I’ve only played the demo of the new DMC. My only point was that the change in direction is more comparable to RE4 than RE6 when comparing the two franchises. Capcom had pretty well cemented the newer, action focused direction of the series long before 6 came out. 5 and 6 were just building off the action driven gameplay mechanics and systems 4 had put into the motion.

The new DMC is at the same turning point. They’ve done a complete visual overhaul while retaining much of the lore that was the heart of the originals. And while the gameplay isn’t as drastic a departure as with RE4. they’re clearly going for a more mainstream market with the streamlined combos and less brutal difficulty curve. Even though RE4 used completely new gameplay mechanics, the principles were the same. Streamline the gameplay and soften the difficulty.

I’m just saying don’t write off ignoring the hardcore niche in favor of a more mainstream crowd when that formula has clearly worked for Capcom in the past. They may lose a lot of the die hard fans but they stand to gain far more from more casual hack & slash players.

20. Dr. Shenanigans says:

The big question, sadly left unanswered, is: how does it compare to Ghana’s blockbuster movie, Devil May Cry?

21. casshern09 says:

You guys really do write your reviews very well. I may not always agree with them, but they are written much better than the majority of publications.

22. The Random One says:

A friend of mine loves DMC, so I downloaded the demo on my funbox for her benefit and we played together. There was a short fight sequence and a boss fight. We spent the entirety of the boss fight discussing whether the big fleshy thing sticking out of the boss was a massive swollen phallus.

23. I Got Pineapples says:

I played a bit of this and it just comes off as less….fun than the old DMC’s. Or Bayonetta for that matter.

It’s a spectacle fighter that manages to feel a little slow and clumsy and lacking in glorious madness. Which kinda defeats the purpose of it all.

24. hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

I don’t really care much for Devil May Cry, but I love you forever for the RUN DMC.EXE bit.

25. MeestaNob says:

It’s a good game – and that’s the way it is.

26. Zanchito says:

Does anyone know how this game compares to Darksiders II generally? I have a playthrough at around 50% in that game, and I kinda lost interest, I wasn’t enjoyng the platform puzzles too much I guess.

• J_C says:

It’s hard to compare the two because they are different genre. DmC is all about fighting fast and stylish with some platforming. It is also a linear game. Darksiders 2 is an open world game with less focus of fast paced fighting. The combat system is less complex and it has more platforming.

27. derella says:

Games need more sexy male characters.

28. Kolimako says:

WOW i think this amazing game and i want layed her!!!

29. Ckarasu says:

I still can’t bring myself to want this game. I have been watching gameplay and story footage, as well as some video reviews. Despite all the praise, I can’t care for it. I liked DMC4, as well as the gameplay. Sure, it was repetitive, but the gameplay was rather solid. I liked the corny Dante as well as the combo rating system. All of the changes just seem to be for the worse.

Some may say I’m just a stubborn DMC fan, and that I hate change. But, to tell the truth, I started off supporting Ninja Theory. I was optimistic, and didn’t even mind the character design change. But, as more info came out, I got more pessimistic. Dante, as a character, was shown to be so terrible and flat that I could not stomache the idea of having to deal with him for 15 hours. Seeing late game footage has not quelled that feeling. He’s still terrible.

The combat and combo style system, from what I’ve seen and heard, have not faired much better. I understand the want for a more accessible system, but I do not want to play a downgrade(which many have even said it is) from the previous games. I wouldn’t play a sequel that had a worse system than the first game, and the same applies here. If there were any additions that made it more bearable, I’d be more receptive to the game. But, sadly, there is not.

People might tell me to actually play the game before rendering judgement, but I just don’t have income to take that risk. Even if I did, I couldn’t justify it. Everything I’ve seen and heard just makes me that more sure that I will not like the game. I won’t be like those stupid haters and say that no one should like the game, though. and I do believe that the metacritic bombing the game has recieved was pretty juvenile. Still, I don’t think even a $10 price point could convince me to play this game.

Just wanted to share my opinion.

30. eclipse mattaru says:

And I was going to ask how it stacks up against Dark Souls, silly me. I guess I’ll be seeing you in the $5 bin, Nu-Dante!

31. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Glad to hear that this is good, but they should have made RE: the Resident Evil instead; that one is in more need of unfucking.

Comment on this story