A Slash From The Past: Shadow Warrior Free On Steam

By Nathan Grayson on May 30th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

You guys, look what I found!

Everyone, Flying Wild Hog is remaking Shadow Warrior! Upon hearing that, a decent number of you probably tilted your heads so hard that confused dogs could hear and replied, “What’s a Shadow Warrior?” That’s understandable. The ’90s were 7,000 years ago, after all. But maybe you saw the reboot’s teaser trailer and went on a needlessly gruesome excitement rampage, or perhaps Hard Reset’s uniquely incoherent brand of robo-shootyblasting won you over. Either way, background is always nice, even when it’s kinda littered with festering piles of racism and misogyny. That’s why Devolver Digital saw fit to dust off the original Shadow Warrior and slice its price tag to confetti. Oh, and thanks to a fairly gigantic promotional slip-up, they’ve just decided to make it free “forever”.

For the uninitiated, the first Shadow Warrior was a first-person shooter/slasher from 3D Realms. Basically, think Duke Nukem with less class and more katanas, and you’ll be on the right track. As you may have surmised from me saying it three sentences ago, it’s now totally, 100 percent free. Here’s why:

“This morning we launched a promotion on Facebook where fans of Shadow Warrior could like the new Facebook page and receive a Steam key for Shadow Warrior Classic, the original version of the game, for free. As luck would have it some folks were able to sidestep some of the security and download the Steam keys we had set aside for this promotion – all 50,000 of them. Whoops.”

Fans, meanwhile, weren’t terribly pleased, and “free” keys had their price tags surgically reattached in the Internet’s seedier back alleys. Devolver, then, saw only one way to circumvent certain catastrophe: make Shadow Warrior free until the ocean swallows the Earth and a black hole sucks up the galaxy like screaming spaghetti. Or, you know, until they don’t have the license anymore.

So yes, it’s now free for anyone on Steam. Pretty neat, huh? Go, play, separate heads from their beloved bodies – do whatever you want. Just don’t pay for it. Otherwise, there will be consequences.

, , , .

1. NailBombed says:

You want to wash Wang? Or you want to watch Wang wash wang?

2. Nim says:

Who wants some Wang?

Btw… Those key resellers, they are a bunch of dicks.

• BTAxis says:

Welcome to the human race.

• Nim says:

Think we can get them banned from Steam for attempted digital theft and handling of stolen goods?

• hangphyr says:

Yeah.. Downloading a game without paying is copyright infringement, it is not theft nor is it stealing. Illegally aquiring keys and re-selling them, now that is both theft and probably something else for re-selling them.

I’m sure someone was looking into legal options, but I’d say its extremely unlikely anything can be done.

3. Alien426 says:

Cool. I’d prefer it on GOG.com…

It’ll be neat to compare this with my recent playthroughs of Call Of Duty 5, 6 and 7. If I recall from the demo of Shadow Warriors, it was one of the first shooters where controls were yanked away from you to show stuff.

• Kobest says:

Nope, can’t remember any instance of this during my playthrough two months ago.

• mrmalodor says:

I remember one instance, actually. It was to show an explosion.

• MadTinkerer says:

But it IS on GoG.com! It’s right there in my collection!

• Alien426 says:

Let me rephrase:
        I’d prefer it for free on GOG.com. ;)

• SirKicksalot says:

It’s DRM free on Steam too, like any DOSBox game, and the expansions are free.

• dethtoll says:

Not to mention that either way you’re just going to take the .grp file and dump it into a JonoF folder.

4. LionsPhil says:

Interesting. Does Steam bundle DOSBox for something like this, or is it actually a source port, or what?

• bVork says:

It’s plain old DOSBox. Which is a bit of a shame since the few source ports for Shadow Warrior aren’t very good and tend to glitch out, corrupt saves, or cause spiders to crawl out of your monitor. It would have been nice to have an updated official version similar to the Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition that recently came out.

• Inigo says:

It uses DOSBox, but you can still use the .grp file with SWP.

• DickSocrates says:

You can use the sourceport with the files you download from Steam or GoG. I don’t remember any glitches when I tried it a few years ago, but I’m not that familiar with the game and may have missed stuff (or just forgotten).

Btw, I’ve been playing Blood with DOSBox the past few days, and after the initial ‘ugh’ factor and finding solutions to different problems on the GoG forum, it runs well and can be properly enjoyed without techincal stuff getting in the way. DOSBox isn’t perfect, but it can be coaxed into providing a good experience.

5. waaaaaaaals says:

I paid for it in the 90s.

Consequences shall be had for all.

6. Scumbag says:

Man who go through airport doorway sideways going to bangcock.

7. Michael Fogg says:

Nice on the one hand, but on the other they efffed over Gog.com, who offer the complete edition (with two add-ons) for a paltry $6.

8. BlitzThose says:

Herro is your refridgerator running, better catch it AHAHAHA

9. GAmbrose says:

Eurogamer did a retrospective 4 years ago, still worth a read:

10. Tuhalu says:

That’s no ordinary rabbit.

11. Suits says:

Sidestep security, which was cookie based, so any private window/incognito mode, would do.

12. ReverendDak says:

Another shooter getting rebooted? Iiiiiiinteresting. Apogee should release the original Rise of the Triad too.

13. waltC says:

When I first glimpsed the screenshot above, I thought that was the back of a red-headed Alfred E. Neuman’s head–instead of a hand, holding a heart…;)

14. Premium User Badge Stellar Duck says:

Wait, people liked this game?!

I played it back in the day and bloody loathed it. I seem to remember the racism really got to me as well. Or racial stereotyping or whatever the hell you might call it.

• Premium User Badge jrodman says:

It’s both racist and insensitive. It’s just “funny” racism, so we look the other way.

• kalirion says:

I shudder to think how you guys must feel about The Boondocks.

• brundlefly says:

Yeah, it was incredibly racist (not to mention misogynistic). But it was also a really fun FPS, as I recall.

• MellowKrogoth says:

Ahhh, festering piles of racism and misogyny. They don’t make those like they used to.

15. Daniel Klein says:

For me, Shadow Warrior is notable for the wonderfully hacky fake 3D it pulled off. The build engine was 2.5D (meaning there was height and height detection, but no overlapping geometry. Any given (X, Y) point had ONE clearly defined Z coordinate for floor and ceiling), but there was a trick the details of which I don’t remember now where the engine basically created an invisible portal that seemlessly teleported you to a whole different part of the level. With the right amount of stitching and clever hiding of angles, you actually got “3D”.

And then of course there was Quake. Which, err, just kind of did proper 3D. But still!

16. brundlefly says:

You are weak as a baby fart! Go live in fear!