Mercy Me: It’s Splinter Cell: Blacklist Versus Trailer

By Craig Pearson on June 28th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

How did he miss that shot?
I know it’s not cool to be excited about a new Splinter Cell game, but I think I’ve proven time and time again that being cool isn’t the first thing on my mind. So this post is a judgement free zone: feel free to declare yourself a fan of a series that people get rolly-eyed at. Be proud of your allegiances! So I am excited about Splinter Cell: Blacklist, because it looks like Splinter Cell’s greatest hits. They’ve taken all the good bits of Splinter Cell and crammed them together in the Conviction engine. One of those bits is the awesome Spies vs Mercs multiplayer. Want to see it?

So, there are two versions of the Versus multiplayer, and this video shows off the remake of the classic 2 vs 2 mode from Pandora Tomorrow. I remember loving it, despite controls that were set-up to troll you. It’s just a brief overview, but it showed off a Merc being tagged with a tazer, which is my preferred tactic. I always go for the most humiliating assault.

I played it briefly at Rezzed, and discovered that there are guard dogs that you can punch and carry around on your shoulders, which almost made up for missing Micheal Ironside’s voice. Almost. Honestly, it was just weird playing Sam without his gruff vocals: he is Sam, and I really struggled to identify with the new guy. He wasn’t gruff, he wasn’t world-weary. He just wasn’t Ironside.

I’m seeing it next week, so I will have a proper hands-on before it’s released on August 23rd.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. ch4os1337 says:

That map they showed looks absolutely horrible compared to the Chaos Theory Spy vs Merc maps. Also Spys can instakill now? That’s not right… The gameplay looks closer to Double Agents (crappy and forgettable) Spy vs Merc and not an exact replica of SC:CT’s which it should be.

• KenTWOu says:

Spys can instakill now? That’s not right…

It’s right, If they balanced SvM mode keeping this fact in mind.

…not an exact replica of SC:CT’s which it should be.

We already have SC:CT, so It shouldn’t.

2. FF56 says:

I’m a big fan of Spore.
    Go ahead Internet, judge me.

• Koozer says:

I liked Spore! Especially the single cell and tribal stages.

I also think Alpha Protocol is one of the best games ever made, and enjoyed multiplayer in Modern Warfare 1 and 2 and Black Ops. /runs

3. mrwout says:

The original Bloodrayne is one of my favourite games…still waiting for a third game in the series (2 was a bit mediocre)…

4. Splynter says:

I think he missed because of the spy’s deployment of a tactical bum.

5. Sinkytown says:

Yeah, Splinter Cell: Conviction is my favourite stealth game. Too far?

• Syra says:

Too far because there are obviously better stealth games, but frankly I REALLY enjoyed that game, and I REALLY liked the coop multiplayer.

And I am GEUINELY looking forward to possibly purchasing this new one if it does not suck!

6. Dana says:

Remember when levels were pitch fucking black ?
    Remember when Spies didn’t had one button takedowns, but had to use skill, timing and planning instead, jumping from heights to stun mercs and such ?
    Remember when Mercs had all those cool vision modes ?

7. Iskariot says:

I think this might be a cool Splinter Cell once again.
    Just hope the single player campaign is not over in 6 hours.
    I am in for a big meaty game with lots of expansive and varied levels.

8. riverman says:

point in the direction of pitch black shadow, oh, the enemy’s name in bright red letters appears in the middle of nowhere, totally not giving away his position at all.

wtf?

9. The Random One says:

Here’s an alternate alt text:

“Control, I have the intruder on sight, intruder is shaking bum at me, over.”
    “Delta Twelve, do not allow intruder to shake bum at you. Intelligence suggests intruder’s bum brings all bogeys to the yard. Over.”
    “Copy that control, I can verify that. Intruder has it and knows it. Intruder is currently flauting bum at me. Please advise. Over.”
    “Delta Twelve, do not engage, I repeat, do not engage. Intelligence suggests intruder has unknown junk in the trunk. Intruder will make you work, make you work. Retreat immediately and reassess your position. Over.”

10. Dowr says:

I hope they don’t make the Spies too powerful. Some of my favorite moments in Chaos Theory’s multiplayer was, as a Spy, getting detected by a Merc and having to make a quick escape.

11. F3ck says:

“I know it’s not cool to be excited about a new Splinter Cell game”

Sorry, but I’m pretty sure there’s nothing ‘cool’ about any of this…what we’re doing…playing video games and then talking about video games (and sometimes the machines we play them on) until there’s more video games to play.

12. ikigeg says:

I don’t normally say anything, but it is quite late, that should be Michael Ironside. I’m sad for the change, maybe as anti-heroes become the norm, they will all twisted into the role-models they weren’t trying to be.

13. Dementei says:

Are there going to be dedicated servers for this? The more settings to customize the better.

14. Cronstintein says:

I actually really liked conviction, it controlled a whole lot better than all the other games in the series. I think it would have been better with a bit more punishment for breaking stealth (ie: bring more guards in) but it was still enjoyable.

15. hitnrun says:

I sit in nearly silent judgment.

16. PopeRatzo says: