Still A Steal: Monaco Gets Huge Free Halloween Update

By Nathan Grayson on October 22nd, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Delightful co-op heister Monaco is getting in the holiday spirit… of Christmas, for Halloween. The Jim-approved wonder has stolen from the, I guess, someone to give bounteous gifts to the poor/you, resulting in an update that will knock your socks off (or your entire Halloween costume, if you’re going as gigantic sock). For one, there are zombies, because there are always zombies, but also the update’s added an entire mini-campaign titled Monaco Origins that’s rich with character-driven backstory. Details belooooooooooooooooow.

The Origins mini-campaign goes a little something like this:

“The Mini-Campaign is called Monaco Origins, and it tells the backstories of our eight naughty thieves. Each mission includes new features, such as key-doors, trophies, keys and cash that can be carried by NPCs, RPG Guards, and the new player class, the Blonde!”

Also included in the update are Linux support and Zonaco: Your Flesh Is Mine, which is the greatest name. It turns the game world into a “zombie wasteland” full of assorted nasties like Bloaters and Wretches. And then everyone lives happily ever after or something I guess.

The update’s available right now, and again, it’s entirely free. Go grab it, as a child would on Halloween night, eager hands fumbling through a candy bucket minefield for anything that’s not Raisinets*.

*Disclaimer: I love Raisinets. Children are dumb.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Top comments

amateurviking says:

*googles raisinets*

*discovers raisinets are just chocolate raisins*

*agrees with Nathan*

*is baffled by American nomenclature*
  1. uh20 says:

yay linux support
    i already have friends claiming its the best game, so now i pretty much must buy it.

• Themadcow says:

…and as luck would have it, it’s the daily deal on Steam (60% off).

Llewyn says:

Even better, it’s also 60% off if you buy it direct from Pocketwatch at http://monacoismine.com. Price is $6 (which is cheaper for UKers at least), sale is handled through the Humble Store and you get DRM-free/Steam options.

(You also seem to get the pre-order bonus stuff, but I’m not sure I should say that too loudly for fear of upsetting pre-orderers)

• Tams80 says:

What?! Only last week I bought it full price! This isn’t the first time I’ve done this.

I can’t really complain though. I’ve not played much and already the full price has been worth it.

amateurviking says:

*googles raisinets*

*discovers raisinets are just chocolate raisins*

*agrees with Nathan*

*is baffled by American nomenclature*

• Vinraith says:

It’s a brand name.

• killias2 says:

Beat me to it…

tigerfort says:

“This is a basic foodstuff.”
        “Quick, we must assign credit for it to a commercial entity!”

• Vinraith says:

Eh, calling a Raisinet a chocolate covered raisin is a bit like calling a Hershey bar a chocolate bar. It’s literally true, but it’s a disservice to chocolate bars.

tigerfort says:

Ah, it’s one of those substitute-come-parody foodstuffs that the USA produces so proudly, like “American Cheese”, yes?

• InternetBatman says:

You shut your dirty liar mouth about American cheese.

tigerfort says:

If American Cheese isn’t either a parody of food or a substitute for it, what the h*** is it for? It’s not tough enough to make tires out of, or chewy enough to substitute for gum. It’s not even legal to call it cheese in a lot of jurisdictions.

The obvious answer would be cheese racing, but that was allegedly only invented in 1997, whereas Kraft seems to have popularised US plastic cheese slices sometime around 1920. Was it simply an idea that came 80 years before its time and somehow hung around, terrorising the food-eating public, in the interval?

• SominiTheCommenter says:

Cheese Racing is the best thing since sliced bread.

• The Random One says:

I’d have imagined raisinets are a message board for old people.

3. Viroso says:

First time I played it, me and my buddy, I almost gave up on the game. For the first couple hours it felt like I could just run wherever I wanted to recklessly and there was no thinking or anything to it. It felt like Final Fantasy XIII’s hours long tutorial all over again. I was thinking “Man, Bonanza Bros is much better than this”. But then, but THEN it got cool and I thought “This is just like how a Bonanza Bros sequel would be”.

So maybe if you decide to give this game a shot and find that it sucks, it is because it does for the first few missions. Then it gets fun, more fun with the more people you have playing.

• brittanysarah84 says:

my best friend’s step-mother makes $88/hour on the laptop. She has been without work for 10 months but last month her pay was $14500 just working on the laptop for a few hours. this article ……

4. Setroc says:

This is great news. It’s certainly one of my favourite games of recent times and one of the best coop concepts ever.

5. Amun says:

Anyone want to trade a copy? I’ve got a leftover from the 4-pack.
    Edit, tigerfort got it.

tigerfort says:

I’d be interested (Steam friend request sent).
      [ETA: Thanks Amun]

6. Spoon Of Doom says:

So, since all of my friends are idiots who I can’t get to play any coop games with me (at least not on PC), can anyone tell me whether the game is still good if I play it solo? Is that even possible?

• Vinraith says:

I made the mistake of picking it up thinking i could get some friends interested, then discovered I couldn’t. I’ll tell you from my experience: It can be played solo, but it’s dull as dishwater.

To be honest, though, I’m not even convinced it would be all that great in co-op, based on what I’ve played of it. This is one of those games that I sincerely wish I found nearly as fun as it’s been made out to be.

• LionsPhil says:

Having been a friend dragged into some co-op of it, yeah, I don’t rate it. There’s not a huge degree of co-operation involved because everything is so frenetic and incomprehensibly visually noisy.

Gap Gen says:

Be wary of the person who says “hey guys, this game looks great, we should get it and play it co-op” and then when you get a 4-pack never plays it.

• Skull says:

This game is great fun but I have only really played it co-op with friends. The game also has online co-op which I also found good but more often ended in failure than anything. Communication is important in this game but ballsing everything up doesn’t mean you will get shouted at because when things go horribly wrong and you have to improvise is when the game shines.

If you want to play it solo, then it is certainly doable. I did a couple of missions on my own and it was still enjoyable and was a good challenge but lost a lot of its charm. Certainly possible to complete the game solo as you might even be at an advantage due to there isn’t 4 people sneaking around and hence 4 people to set off alarms and get everyone caught.

If you want to go for it, you can add me on Steam as I would certainly be up for helping you play through it. You will need a fondness for stealth and hard games to “get” it but it really is fun when everything clicks. :)

• Spoon Of Doom says:

Kind of what I expected, then. I miss the time when my friends weren’t split into console-only players and PC players who almost exclusively play one single game (WoW for a while, now replaced with LoL).

Gap Gen says:

The fun of co-op is a) combining the special powers to work together and b) the utter chaos of being discovered and everyone running round like headless chickens. It’s still playable in SP, but you miss those two factors.

strangeloup says:

I have only played it in single-player and it is pretty much fine. It may depend on your penchant for playing sneaky bastards in general, however.

lowprices says:

And it’s on sale on Steam. There goes my willpower.

8. Keyrock says:

Raisinets are okay. Candy corns are the absolute worst things you can get for Halloween, they’re disgusting.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

YOU LIE

Nothing that is 80% sugar, 10% food colouring, and 30% paraffin can be bad.

lasikbear says:

The first five candy corns of the year are the most amazing thing. Eaten properly, from the top down by color, they are the epitome of Halloween spirit. After those first five though…

• Wynter says:

I truly despise candy corn, however if you mix it with some salted peanuts it tastes EXACTLY like a Baby Ruth.

You’re welcome, and please pick up the pieces of your blown mind on the way out.

• BooleanBob says:

I’m am both alarmed at the notion that you’d know what that tastes like and annoyed that you’re still calling me Ruth.

9. PhilKenSebben says: